Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
Since this forum is a discussion zone, more intended for new Adventists, or for those making honest inquiries, without all the debate and arguing, please remember to keep it nice. :D

As Adventists, we do teach that we are a people of the Bible and that we can teach any of our doctrines using the Bible only - so if we insist on including the spirit of prophecy, in this topic, we must also be able to prove it from the Bible.

As we begin our study on The Message Of The Cross; let us bear in mind the thought how that the spikes in His hands, not only nailed Jesus to the cross; but they also nailed the Earth to Heaven.

Hanging upon the cross Christ was the gospel. Now we have a message,

"Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sins of the world." (John 1:29).

(More to come soon)

Last edited:

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
“The sacrifice of Christ as an atonement for sin is the great truth around which all other truths cluster. In order to be rightly understood and appreciated, every truth in the Word of God, from Genesis to Revelation, must be studied in the light which streams from the cross of Calvary, , and in connection with the wondrous, central truth of the Savior’s atonement. Those who study the Savior’s sacrifice, grow in grace, and knowledge.” ( EGW, SD pg 221) (see also 2 Pet 3:18)

In the next post; the intention is going to be to study about the warnings of the cross. That is, there was a point in Christ’s ministry when Jesus began to make increasing references to His destined crucifixion. And we will be looking into reasons that Jesus waited until this specific time to start making these references. Two scriptures in particular that we will look at are found in Mat 16:30-31, Luke 9: 18-22.

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
“The sacrifice of Christ as an atonement for sin is the great truth around which all other truths cluster. In order to be rightly understood and appreciated, every truth in the Word of God, from Genesis to Revelation, must be studied in the light which streams from the cross of Calvary, , and in connection with the wondrous, central truth of the Savior’s atonement. Those who study the Savior’s sacrifice, grow in grace, and knowledge.” ( EGW, SD pg 221) (see also 2 Pet 3:18)

In the next post; the intention is going to be to study about the warnings of the cross. That is, there was a point in Christ’s ministry when Jesus began to make increasing references to His destined crucifixion. And we will be looking into reasons that Jesus waited until this specific time to start making these references. Two scriptures in particular that we will look at are found in Mat 16:30-31, Luke 9: 18-22.
Here are one of the scripture passages mentioned above in my last post:

Mat 16:13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
Mat 16:14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
Mat 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Mat 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Mat 16:20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.
Mat 16:21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.

It was at this point where Jesus began, in His ministry, to make increasing references to His destined crucifixion. Any ideas why? What was Jesus trying to accomplish by doing this?

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
I have a few ideas on the question which I posed in the last post here. Sometimes, we tend towards being too clinical and “forensic” when we talk about the message of the cross; as if one idea fits all. And indeed, it does, but to many, the message of the cross is one they are never quite sure of.

Jesus sought to warn His disciples of the day about His upcoming crucifixion, because the message of the cross is a very personal one; it is not just relegated to clerics and “church people.”

Earlier today, I was caught in a terrible storm for a while; and it brought to mind certain of the closing scenes of Calvary:

Mat 27:45 “Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour.”

I have pictured this “darkness” which the Bible mentions here as an impending storm. Something like what I was caught in today; but as we know from Bible prophecy, there is coming a storm, the likes of which we have not ever seen, nor could imagine in our wildest dreams. Rev 3:10 alludes to such a storm, as well as many other texts.

Now, one of the many things to note about this particular “darkness” mentioned regarding Calvary, is something very surprising. Very surprising because of who it happened to, and when. Here is the text from those closing scenes, which explains what I am talking about:

Mat 27:54 Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.

In that lacerated, bruised, broken body hanging on the cross, the centurion recognized the form of the Son of God …A terrible storm was encroaching the mob at Calvary, and in the midst of it, some cried out in recognition atlast: “This was the son of God.”

Friend, take a step back; or forward, and stand on that Hill called Calvary today and experience the message of the cross in your own personal life, in the midst of your own dark experience, or stormy times. You too can have the wonderful assurance of the message of the cross: “THIS WAS THE SON OF GOD.”
attachment.php

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
As “the Lamb of God, which takes away the sin of the world” (John 1:29), Christ is the anti-typical sacrifice to which all the sacrifices of the type pointed. He was “without blemish,” though “in all points tempted.” He was the innocent victim of our guilt; and though He “knew no sin,” He was “made . . . to be sin for us.” The life which He gave us for our redemption was untouched by guilt of His own, and therefore was not under condemnation. Just before His betrayal He said to His disciples: “Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for-the prince of this world comes and hath nothing in Me.” John 14:30. It was this perfection of life which qualified Him to be the sacrificial substitute for guilty man. He had perfect life to give.

His sinless life was the result of His own choice. Of His own purpose He lived so that His life expressed only the will of His Father. Said He: “I came down from heaven, not do Mine own will, but the will of Him that sent Me.” John 6:38. Again He said: “My meat is to do the will of Him that sent Me, and to finish His work.” “The Father bath not left Me alone; for I do always those things that please Him.” John 4: 34; 8:29.

Three times during His life in the flesh Jesus had the spoken assurance that His Father was well pleased with Him. We read that after He was baptized, “Jesus went up straightway out of the water. And, lo, the heavens were opened unto Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon Him: and lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” Matthew 3.16, 17.

Again, during His ministry, He “takes Peter, James, and John his brother, and brings them up into a high mountain apart, and was transfigured before them: and His face did shine as the sun, and His raiment was white as the light. And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with Him. Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if Thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for Thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. While he yet spoke, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear you Him!” Matthew 17:14

When facing betrayal and death, He exclaimed: “Now is My soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save Me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour. Father, glorify Thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.” John 12:27, 28. He was qualified by the perfection of His life in the flesh to take guilty man’s place, and to give His life a ransom for the sinner. Thus, as the sacrifice in substitution for guilty man, He was acceptable to the Father.

Through the offering of the body of Christ, once for all, we are sanctified by the will of God. Hebrews 10:10. But the sanctifying element in the sacrifice is the blood. To scorn the blood of the sacrifice, and count it an unholy thing, is to trample on the Son of God, and to do despite unto the Spirit of grace, through which Christ “offered Himself without spot to God!’ Hebrews 10:29; 9:14. The sacrifice of Christ rejected, there remains no other sacrifice for sin. The sinner then must come into judgment unsanctified, and unsheltered from the fiery indignation which -shall devour the adversaries. Hebrews 10:26-31.

It is the blood of Jesus Christ that cleanses us from all sin. 1 John 1:7. There is no sin from which we can be cleansed by any other agency. There is no sin from which we cannot be cleansed by the blood of Christ, if we seek such cleansing. No sacrifice, feast day, holy day, sabbath days or anything else can atone for our sins and cleanse us from unrighteousness; none but the blood of Jesus. (John 1:29). It is by His blood that Christ redeems us to God from our lost condition. Revelation 5:9. It is by the blood that Christ has entered into the sanctuary in heaven, there to complete the work of atonement by which sin is forever put away, and which was begun and shall all be wrought by the sacrifice of Himself. In the merits of that perfect sacrifice all accomplishment in our behalf by our High Priest in heaven is made possible.

In the next post, we will do some comparisons to illustrate how we "scorn the blood;" and how the message of the cross is "the loud cry" that every soul will have a chance to accept and understand. :)

Upvote 0

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
3.16, 17.

Again, during His ministry, He “takes Peter, James, and John his brother, and brings them up into a high mountain apart, and was transfigured before them: and His face did shine as the sun, and His raiment was white as the light. And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with Him. Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if Thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for Thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. While he yet spoke, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear you Him!” Matthew 17:14

:)

I believe you mean verse 5.

I like the story of The transformation because it puts things into perspective. Peter wanted 3 tabernacles, one for Moses who represents the law, and one for Elias, who represents the Prophets, and one for Jesus. God didn't like this.
"5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!"
A new era had begun! The old has been fulfilled!

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
Here are one of the scripture passages mentioned above in my last post:

Mat 16:13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
Mat 16:14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
Mat 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Mat 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Mat 16:20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.
Mat 16:21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.

It was at this point where Jesus began, in His ministry, to make increasing references to His destined crucifixion. Any ideas why? What was Jesus trying to accomplish by doing this?

attachment.php

Attachments

• medicine.jpg
    medicine.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
In answer to the last question I posted above; I would like to first post a short quote from The Desire Of Ages, just as an introduction to a more in-depth study of pertinent scriptures that speak to the question of why Did Jesus start to make increasing references to His impending crucifixion at this point in His ministry?

DA-Chap. 45 - The Foreshadowing of the Cross

The work of Christ on earth was hastening to a close. Before Him, in vivid outline, lay the scenes whither His feet were tending. Even before He took humanity upon Him, He saw the whole length of the path He must travel in order to save that which was lost. Every pang that rent His heart, every insult that was heaped upon His head, every privation that He was called to endure, was open to His view before He laid aside His crown and royal robe, and stepped down from the throne, to clothe His divinity with humanity. The path from the manger to Calvary was all before His eyes. He knew the anguish that would come upon Him. He knew it all, and yet He said, "Lo, I come: in the volume of the Book it is written of Me, I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart." Psa_40:7-8. {DA 410.1}

Ever before Him He saw the result of His mission. His earthly life, so full of toil and self-sacrifice, was cheered by the prospect that He would not have all this travail for nought. By giving His life for the life of men, He would win back the world to its loyalty to God. Although the baptism of blood must first be received; although the sins of the world were to weigh upon His innocent soul; although the shadow of an unspeakable woe was upon Him; yet for the joy that was set before Him, He chose to endure the cross, and despised the shame. {DA 410.2}

From the chosen companions of His ministry the scenes that lay before Him were as yet hidden; but the time was near when they must behold His agony. They must see Him whom they had loved and trusted, delivered into the hands of His enemies, and hung upon the cross of Calvary. Soon He must leave them to face the world without the comfort of His visible presence. He knew how bitter hate and unbelief would persecute them, and He desired to prepare them for their trials. {DA 410.3}
We all have trials now; and quite likely even greater ones to come. How does the message of the cross fit into our personal situations today?

Stay tuned

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums