Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Meat on St. Patrick’s Day, even though it’s a Friday during Lent? The Register sought answers to that question from all 176 Latin Rite territorial Catholic dioceses in America.

St. Patrick died during Lent. Which year isn’t certain. But for one of the leading candidates (A.D. 461), March 17 was a Friday.

And while Easter is a moveable feast, St. Patrick’s Day is always during Lent — and sometimes on a Friday. Like this year, for instance.

That means trouble — for Friday is also a day of abstinence for Catholics, especially during Lent.

Something’s got to give.

“You cannot feast and fast at the same time,” noted C.J. Doyle, executive director of the Catholic Action League of Massachusetts, who supports St. Patrick’s Day dispensations from the obligation of abstinence.

Since Aug. 15, 1790, when John Carroll lay prostrate on the floor of a castle chapel in Dorset, England, and was ordained America’s first Roman Catholic bishop, St. Patrick’s Day has fallen on a Friday 32 times.

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: mourningdove~

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I stand on a tight rope when I complain... but either way I don't get to feast because I am broke broke and frankly couldn't afford it.
But also that said; if I could feast I would do it Sunday. [Or Saturday but most likely Sunday.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In a Nutshell

Over 70% of U.S. bishops are allowing Catholics to eat meat on Friday, March 17, even though it’s a Friday during Lent.

Many bishops issuing dispensations cite Irish cultural customs celebrating St. Patrick’s Day.

Some say the Church should hold the line on the rules of Lent.

About 92% of bishops have announced what they plan to do.

More than 70% of U.S. diocesan bishops are allowing Catholics to eat meat on St. Patrick’s Day this year, even though it’s a Friday during Lent.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In the Orthodox Church, if a major feast day falls during a fast, then we are permitted to eat fish. Conversely, if a fast day falls on Saturday or Sunday, then the fast is relaxed.

My birthday is on a strict fast day (Beheading of St John the Forerunner) but last year it fell on a Sunday so I was allowed to have a beer :D

Apostolic Constitutions Book VII

Chapter XXIII - Which days of the week we ought to fast, and which not, and for what reasons
But let not your fasts be with the hypocrites; for they fast on the second and fifth days of
the week. But do ye fast either the five days, or the fourth day and the day of the
Preparation, because on the fourth day the condemnation went out against the Lord, Judas
then promising to betray him for money; and ye must fast the day of the Preparation,
because on that day the Lord suffered the death of the cross, under Pontius Pilate. Yet the
Sabbath and the Lord's day keep as festivals, because the former is the memorial of the
creation, and the latter of the resurrection. And in the whole year there is only one Sabbath
to be otherwise observed by you, that of our Lord's burial, on which men ought to keep a
fast, but not a festival. For inasmuch as the Creator was then under the earth, the sorrow
for him is more forcible than the joy for the creation; because the Creator is more
honorable by nature and dignity than his own creatures

• Agree
Reactions: Anhelyna
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Given the importance of this feast in the life of the Archdiocese and in the lives of many Catholics, Cardinal Seán is granting a dispensation from the Friday Lenten abstinence on March 17, 2023, to those who wish to take advantage of this opportunity," the archdiocese said in a message to parishes. "This is a one day only dispensation."

The city is set to celebrate St. Patrick's Day this Sunday with a longer parade that returns to its pre-pandemic route in South Boston.

I mean with the name Cardinal Sean O’Malley, it’s a no brainer.

Upvote 0