The Meaning of IHS (Split from "Black Pope" Thread at OP's Request)

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
You know Castaway:

I do not know how long you been in the SDA church but I have been in it for almost a live time. If you want to gain some true knowledge in fact about what I present I be glad to give it to you. I have lived and be a lot of places and countries and I am known for my research, it has been my living for over thirty five years, I just that good. I wish and pray that you would learn to listen, pray, be humble and check out the information before judging people. Take Care and,

Be Bless,
stinsonmarri
It doesnt matter how long you have been in the church; this does not make your information any more true or accurate. If we believe the Bible to be inspired; we cannot keep picking out bits and pieces and saying they are not inspired. The biased materials you have selected as "proof" would be loved by Jehovah's Witnesses, but this does not make it truth, and if the Bible says "cross;" there must be a reason - an inspired reason. I will go with the Bible on this one. :)

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I thought this thread had died---It's an intriguing thread. Not because of the arguements over what method was used to kill our God, but that the method of His death seems to be more important than the fact that He was brutally tortured to death. So we must argue over what it was He was nailed to?? Was it a cross or a stake?? Really??---He died for our sins folks!!!--That's what is important. The bible states He suffered more than any man and was so badly beaten He could barely be recognized. The thing is---nobody killed Him---not the Jews, not the Romans--each single human being from Adam and Eve on down is responsible for His death--And He said, 'No one takes my life-- I give it up"--
The cross as a symbol of paganism??---read these CF threads long enough and someone is always claiming something is a symbol of Paganism.
It is true that people were impaled on a stake, some from the genatils up through to the throat, some just impaled right through the back and left to dangle there. But there are some that had the cross beams--the Jews never impaled anyone while alive--only after they were dead was a warning to others or by hanging. Live impalements and crucifixions were recorded by the Persians, and the Greeks, and using the cross beam--soooo----which is your prefered method of Christ having suffered??
The use of the cross as a symbol for Christians have been found all over the world carved into rocks and in caves. So some pagan cultures used a type of cross for their gods---so what??---The cross is now a symbol of our crucified Savior and who cares what is used to be?--You think it makes Satan happy to see the cross used as a symbol of the One He is responsible for killing?? I'm sure he would prefer that it would remain a thing that stands for a false religion that he concocted. It must make his blood boil to see the cross stand for his hated creator!! So now he is striving hard to try and remove it as that symbol and make it stand for him instead. I'm not going to make him happy, you go right ahead.
And what a stink about the SDA logo!!--On most of the ones I've seen, it's not an upside down cross, just a cross. In some the cross beam does look a little lower, I gather that to be more of the graphic artist. The upside down cross for Catholics, and some other Christians, represents Peter, crucified up side down because he felt he was unworthy to be crucified as Jesus had been. What is heathen about the flame like things that seem to represent the Holy Spirit, as in tongues of flame??---Somebody has entirely too much time on their hands and need to take up knitting or something useful to occupy their time while we wait for our crucified Savior--the Son of God--our Creator to come and get us!!---Better yet, why not go out and spread the message instead of inciting riots over semantics!! Is beating someone over the head with our supposed great knowledge of non-saving minutia what we want Christ to find us doing when He gets here????

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
I thought this thread had died---It's an intriguing thread. Not because of the arguements over what method was used to kill our God, but that the method of His death seems to be more important than the fact that He was brutally tortured to death. So we must argue over what it was He was nailed to?? Was it a cross or a stake?? Really??---He died for our sins folks!!!--That's what is important.

---Better yet, why not go out and spread the message instead of inciting riots over semantics!! Is beating someone over the head with our supposed great knowledge of non-saving minutia what we want Christ to find us doing when He gets here????
lol, if you keep talking like this it will be you who incites the riots.

Personally; I would disagree when I hear someone say that it does not matter what Jesus died on. Or that it does not matter what kind of cross he died on. It actually does matter, because there was deep and important symbolism involved in each part of the cross upon which He was crucified; and when someone goes off on a tangent to try and say it was just a torture stake or some such thing, and using that assertion to label the rest of Christianity as somehow "wrong" just because of this, then yes, it becomes important to address it.

The Roman cross upon what Jesus was crucified was designed somewhat different than certain other crosses used by other people in other times or lands, and the differences do mean something.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Yah, I get mouthy often, I do understand your point. I just get sort of irritated by all the "this is of the devil" stuff that, often, is just nonsense.
I remember this Scotsman who had a great presentation on the sanctuary--Harding??--- He took every little thing about the sanctuary and gave it meaning that left me speachless (hard to do!)--It was amazing and made reading about the sanctuary no longer just boring details, like the begats!! He said when the Israelites camped as was commanded by God, looking down on the encampment from above---it formed a perfect cross. I had recently just come back to church at the time, and hearing that, and seeing the way they were encamped, and the cross it formed made me teary---His presentation was so overwhelming--every little thing had significant meaning to God--and us. I should have remembered that sooner!

Upvote 0

TheOmegaMan19

Dec 28, 2012
✟15,217.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that is just so bad.....;)

Well, it is apparent that the SDA church HAS been infiltrated a long time ago. If I were the enemy, that would've been a no-brainer. So with that said, its plausible that those of Satan which are holding influential positions behind the pulpit and in the GC would fit the logo to their preference; its like a gang sign, where most don't "get it", and the few that do are made aware of who's running that show. It's why they do it in Hollywood.

I'll admit, in recent years, I have swayed back and forth between the SDA and SDR movements. I've kept it in prayer. The introduction of the world into the SDA church is no accident. That, I do know. I also know that there are many within the church that are doing some marvelous work for God. But at the end of the day, I study the bible, as well as the writings of Mrs. White - eventually, we will not have a building to dwell in together. I simply concentrate on my personal relationship with Christ, and I trust I'll be taken where I need to go.

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
So with that said, its plausible that those of Satan which are holding influential positions behind the pulpit and in the GC would fit the logo to their preference; its like a gang sign, where most don't "get it", and the few that do are made aware of who's running that show. It's why they do it in Hollywood.
This is the most far-fetched and hopeless conspiracy theory mantra I have read in a while. Where on earth did you dredge up such ideas from?

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
Yah, I get mouthy often, I do understand your point. I just get sort of irritated by all the "this is of the devil" stuff that, often, is just nonsense.
I remember this Scotsman who had a great presentation on the sanctuary--Harding??--- He took every little thing about the sanctuary and gave it meaning that left me speachless (hard to do!)--It was amazing and made reading about the sanctuary no longer just boring details, like the begats!! He said when the Israelites camped as was commanded by God, looking down on the encampment from above---it formed a perfect cross. I had recently just come back to church at the time, and hearing that, and seeing the way they were encamped, and the cross it formed made me teary---His presentation was so overwhelming--every little thing had significant meaning to God--and us. I should have remembered that sooner!
I didn't think you were "mouthy;" lol. You made some good points. It is amazing what kinds of arguments people will drum up to try to make the church look "wrong."

Upvote 0

TheOmegaMan19

Dec 28, 2012
✟15,217.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This is the most far-fetched and hopeless conspiracy theory mantra I have read in a while. Where on earth did you dredge up such ideas from?

SyFy channel...j/k :D

But seriously, the occultism in Hollywood is blatantly obvious. The majority of people that have taken more than 10 minutes to search that already know that. And as far as the SDA church...most within the denomination acknowledge this - both, members, pastors,

"That these men should stand in a sacred place, to be as the voice of God to the people, as we once believed the General Conference to be--that is past".--Last Day Events 50.4

“As for the voice of the General Conference, there is no voice from God through that body that is reliable.” -Manuscript 57, October 12, 1895 & Manuscript Releases, vol 17, p 178

"The Lord has a controversy with His professed people in these last days. In this controversy MEN IN RESPONSIBLE POSITIONS WILL TAKE A COURSE DIRECTLY OPPOSITE TO THAT PURSUED BY NEHEMIAH. They will not only ignore and despise the Sabbath themselves, but they will try to keep it from others by burying it beneath the rubbish of custom and tradition. IN CHURCHES AND IN LARGE GATHERINGS IN THE OPEN AIR, MINISTERS WILL URGE UPON THE PEOPLE THE NECESSITY OF KEEPING THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK." -- RH, Vol. 1, pg. 405.

"There are men among us in responsible positions WHO HOLD THAT THE OPINIONS OF A FEW CONCEITED PHILOSOPHERS, SO CALLED, ARE MORE TO BE TRUSTED THAN THE TRUTH OF THE BIBLE, OR THE TESTIMONIES OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. Such a faith as that of Paul, Peter, or John is considered oldfashioned and insufferable at the present day. It is pronounced absurd, mystical, and unworthy of an intelligent mind.

GOD HAS SHOWN ME THAT THESE MEN ARE HAZAELS TO PROVE A SCOURGE TO OUR PEOPLE. THEY ARE WISE ABOVE WHAT IS WRITTEN. This unbelief of the very truths of God's word because human judgment cannot comprehend the mysteries of His work is found in every district, in all ranks of society. It is taught in most of our schools and comes into the lessons of the nurseries. Thousands who profess to be Christians give heed to lying spirits. Everywhere the spirit of darkness in the garb of religion will confront you." -- 5T p. 79.

Since their inception, the Jesuits have destroyed entities from within. They even admit as much in their oath:​

"You have been taught to insidiously plant the seeds of jealousy and hatred between communities, provinces, states that were at peace, and incite them to deeds of blood, involving them in war with each other, and to create revolutions and civil wars in countries that were independent and prosperous, cultivating the arts and the sciences and enjoying the blessings of peace. To take sides with the combatants and to act secretly with your brother Jesuit, who might be engaged on the other side, but openly opposed to that with which you might be connected, only that the Church might be the gainer in the end, in the conditions fixed in the treaties for peace and that the end justifies the means." (as recorded in the Journals of the 62D Congress, 3d Session of the U.S. House Calendar No. 397. Report No. 1523..
Congressional Record---House, 15 Feb. 1913, pp3215-3216)

So, no. Not far-fetched at all. After Satan realized that openly killing Christians didn't work, he saw more effectiveness in posing as one to destroy them as a "member." If the enemy hasn't employed this tactic, then I officially am not worried about him, because I've learned about a weapon within 31 years that he couldn't learn in 6,000.

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
SyFy channel...j/k :D

But seriously, the occultism in Hollywood is blatantly obvious. The majority of people that have taken more than 10 minutes to search that already know that. And as far as the SDA church...most within the denomination acknowledge this - both, members, pastors,

"That these men should stand in a sacred place, to be as the voice of God to the people, as we once believed the General Conference to be--that is past".--Last Day Events 50.4

“As for the voice of the General Conference, there is no voice from God through that body that is reliable.” -Manuscript 57, October 12, 1895 & Manuscript Releases, vol 17, p 178

"The Lord has a controversy with His professed people in these last days. In this controversy MEN IN RESPONSIBLE POSITIONS WILL TAKE A COURSE DIRECTLY OPPOSITE TO THAT PURSUED BY NEHEMIAH. They will not only ignore and despise the Sabbath themselves, but they will try to keep it from others by burying it beneath the rubbish of custom and tradition. IN CHURCHES AND IN LARGE GATHERINGS IN THE OPEN AIR, MINISTERS WILL URGE UPON THE PEOPLE THE NECESSITY OF KEEPING THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK." -- RH, Vol. 1, pg. 405.

"There are men among us in responsible positions WHO HOLD THAT THE OPINIONS OF A FEW CONCEITED PHILOSOPHERS, SO CALLED, ARE MORE TO BE TRUSTED THAN THE TRUTH OF THE BIBLE, OR THE TESTIMONIES OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. Such a faith as that of Paul, Peter, or John is considered oldfashioned and insufferable at the present day. It is pronounced absurd, mystical, and unworthy of an intelligent mind.

GOD HAS SHOWN ME THAT THESE MEN ARE HAZAELS TO PROVE A SCOURGE TO OUR PEOPLE. THEY ARE WISE ABOVE WHAT IS WRITTEN. This unbelief of the very truths of God's word because human judgment cannot comprehend the mysteries of His work is found in every district, in all ranks of society. It is taught in most of our schools and comes into the lessons of the nurseries. Thousands who profess to be Christians give heed to lying spirits. Everywhere the spirit of darkness in the garb of religion will confront you." -- 5T p. 79.

Since their inception, the Jesuits have destroyed entities from within. They even admit as much in their oath:​

"You have been taught to insidiously plant the seeds of jealousy and hatred between communities, provinces, states that were at peace, and incite them to deeds of blood, involving them in war with each other, and to create revolutions and civil wars in countries that were independent and prosperous, cultivating the arts and the sciences and enjoying the blessings of peace. To take sides with the combatants and to act secretly with your brother Jesuit, who might be engaged on the other side, but openly opposed to that with which you might be connected, only that the Church might be the gainer in the end, in the conditions fixed in the treaties for peace and that the end justifies the means." (as recorded in the Journals of the 62D Congress, 3d Session of the U.S. House Calendar No. 397. Report No. 1523..
Congressional Record---House, 15 Feb. 1913, pp3215-3216)

So, no. Not far-fetched at all. After Satan realized that openly killing Christians didn't work, he saw more effectiveness in posing as one to destroy them as a "member." If the enemy hasn't employed this tactic, then I officially am not worried about him, because I've learned about a weapon within 31 years that he couldn't learn in 6,000.
Now that you posted this mumbo-jumbo; I can see you actually are far-fetched. Infact the ideas you present here are nothing short of malcontent fanaticism. You are using Ellen White's writings very inappropriately, in ways she would never condone and in ways that don't even come close to reflecting her actual thoughts on the matter at hand. You also totally ignore in such a response what the Bible says; and might I remind you that as a Bible based denomination, Adventists should be presenting the Bible first; and then, only if appropriate, Ellen White or another author.

So lets cut through all your conspiracy mantra and get back to basics. To Bible basics. My first response to your anti-Adventist rhetoric would be Jeremiah 3:15:
And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.
This is a promise that your ideas here conveniently ignore.

Upvote 0

TheOmegaMan19

Dec 28, 2012
✟15,217.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That Nicholas from Remant of God is a real pip! I was "banned" after just two post on his forum. Two posts. Fastest I ever been banned from a forum!

Really? I've known of Nicholas's site for about three years now. I'm impressed by the staggering amounts of information that he has amassed over the years. From time to time, I even listen to his Friday evening Sabbath sermons, which I find to be very informative; he does a great job of applying what is going on in the world today to Scriptures and using his life experiences to add to the teachings of the Bible. I'm impressed with the hard work that is put into not just maintaining his website, but progressing it.

With that said, I have exchanged about a dozen or so emails with him since 2009. We've discussed many things, from things going on in my personal life to prophecy. I do understand that he stands firmly in his stance that the Seventh-day Adventist church is now a sister of Babylon, and that the true remnant are those that hold the teachings of the Bible as well as the writings of the 1844 Message as they were held in their original interpretations back at the start of the SDA movement, and have disconnected themselves from the official SDA church. So I see where he has conflict with currents SDA members and pastors, and vice versa. The personal vibe I've gotten from him is that he is a caring sincere man that loves his God, but that there is a certain rough edge to him, where it makes him seem to be very formal. I'm trying very hard not to say that he is someone that doesn't have love for his fellow man, but perhaps he is just so set in his ways, that he will divorce himself from anybody that holds a different interpretation. I do recall him telling me via email one time, that he blacklisted the YouTube user, theforerunner777, because there was one small aspect of the three Angels message that Christopher Hudson held differently than him, so he discontinued all email conversations with him, nor does he ever promote his videos on his website.

I haven't emailed Nicholas lately, but that does not mean that I do not intend to in the future. We have had very good conversations in the past, and I'm sorry to hear that such a ban happened to you.

I'm just curious, if you would share the details of what happened on his website? Only because it seems pretty harsh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Remember the hoopla over casting out devils??---Went through the church like wildfire--where I finally had enough was when some idiot was casting out the devil of peanut butter!!--I kid you not!! Right now, everyone and their mother has learned the devil's hand signing language and everybody from the President to children are flashing these signs and only the "knowledgeable" can see this. And just where did these "knowledgeable" people learn the devils sign language?? And why are they learning it instead of God's sign language??
One of Satans greatest ploys is to get people preoccupied with foolishness, leaving them with no time to dwell on God's truth and His Word. And then "leaders" in these things start cropping up, and people flock to these self-made leaders--nothing like the feeling of power to side-track people from God. And on down the road you end up with the David Koresh's who have talked people into believing he has the real truth and slowly start to continue to misslead until you end up with them as the voice of God and that our young women need to be given to him 'cause it's God's will---

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
Remember the hoopla over casting out devils??---Went through the church like wildfire--where I finally had enough was when some idiot was casting out the devil of peanut butter!!--I kid you not!! Right now, everyone and their mother has learned the devil's hand signing language and everybody from the President to children are flashing these signs and only the "knowledgeable" can see this. And just where did these "knowledgeable" people learn the devils sign language?? And why are they learning it instead of God's sign language??
One of Satans greatest ploys is to get people preoccupied with foolishness, leaving them with no time to dwell on God's truth and His Word. And then "leaders" in these things start cropping up, and people flock to these self-made leaders--nothing like the feeling of power to side-track people from God. And on down the road you end up with the David Koresh's who have talked people into believing he has the real truth and slowly start to continue to misslead until you end up with them as the voice of God and that our young women need to be given to him 'cause it's God's will---
lol, yes I can relate. Reminds me of Neil T Andersen yapping away about how a demon bit his hand while he was driving his car. With some people, there is a demon under every doily...

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
I'm just curious, if you would share the details of what happened on his website? Only because it seems pretty harsh.
You just replied to a post made in 2008. How is it related to the OP of this thread to know about this incident from 15 years ago?

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟426,474.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought this thread had died---It's an intriguing thread. Not because of the arguements over what method was used to kill our God, but that the method of His death seems to be more important than the fact that He was brutally tortured to death. So we must argue over what it was He was nailed to?? Was it a cross or a stake?? Really??---He died for our sins folks!!!--That's what is important. The bible states He suffered more than any man and was so badly beaten He could barely be recognized. The thing is---nobody killed Him---not the Jews, not the Romans--each single human being from Adam and Eve on down is responsible for His death--And He said, 'No one takes my life-- I give it up"--
The cross as a symbol of paganism??---read these CF threads long enough and someone is always claiming something is a symbol of Paganism.
It is true that people were impaled on a stake, some from the genatils up through to the throat, some just impaled right through the back and left to dangle there. But there are some that had the cross beams--the Jews never impaled anyone while alive--only after they were dead was a warning to others or by hanging. Live impalements and crucifixions were recorded by the Persians, and the Greeks, and using the cross beam--soooo----which is your prefered method of Christ having suffered??
The use of the cross as a symbol for Christians have been found all over the world carved into rocks and in caves. So some pagan cultures used a type of cross for their gods---so what??---The cross is now a symbol of our crucified Savior and who cares what is used to be?--You think it makes Satan happy to see the cross used as a symbol of the One He is responsible for killing?? I'm sure he would prefer that it would remain a thing that stands for a false religion that he concocted. It must make his blood boil to see the cross stand for his hated creator!! So now he is striving hard to try and remove it as that symbol and make it stand for him instead. I'm not going to make him happy, you go right ahead.
And what a stink about the SDA logo!!--On most of the ones I've seen, it's not an upside down cross, just a cross. In some the cross beam does look a little lower, I gather that to be more of the graphic artist. The upside down cross for Catholics, and some other Christians, represents Peter, crucified up side down because he felt he was unworthy to be crucified as Jesus had been. What is heathen about the flame like things that seem to represent the Holy Spirit, as in tongues of flame??---Somebody has entirely too much time on their hands and need to take up knitting or something useful to occupy their time while we wait for our crucified Savior--the Son of God--our Creator to come and get us!!---Better yet, why not go out and spread the message instead of inciting riots over semantics!! Is beating someone over the head with our supposed great knowledge of non-saving minutia what we want Christ to find us doing when He gets here????
Its still good to know about these kind of things..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟426,474.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you show any instances where this was used conclusively by any denominations other than those of Catholic origin? Do you have any cites where the use of these initials where in respect to the actual scriptures or any letters of the early church?

Its just the standard Catholic understanding and explanation of the question of what IHS means.

Here are some other answers from Catholic sites and other sources...

According to Fr.Victorius, IHS means "Jesus Habemus Socium", which means that we have Jesus as our partner. According to Constantine, IHS means "In Hoc Signo vinces" which means with this sign you will win. According to a medieval tradition, IHS means "Jesus Hominum Salvator" which means Jesus savior of men. According to Fr.Duminuco, IHS are letters of the Greek alphabet and they represent the name of Jesus. Information from [http://www.jesuitalumni.org/etc-ing.htm]

IHS= Jesus Savior of men
Iesus Hominum Salvator....
Latin for "Jesus Saviour of Man..."

"..In His Service.."

"In Hoc Signo,"

"...they are the first three letters of Jesus’ name in Greek: iota-eta-sigma..."

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07421a.htm

It just seems like a guessing game with no real idea...

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟426,474.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The many Catholic explanations they use are not supported. However its clear for anyone that looks that the IHS emblem today most commonly represents the communion wafer, and is closely associated with the Jesuit Order. Now here is what you find if you look a little deeper you will find what is closer to the truth, the Catholics admitting 'IHS' doesn't stand for Christ at all.

"Some evangelicals have theorized that the initials stand for "Isis, Horus, and Seb," and are related to Egyptian sun worship, but this is a spurious claim that has never been supported by any solid evidence. Solar and Lunar symbolism have been in continual use by the Church and are most likely continuances of Roman ceremonial symbolism. There is, however, good evidence that the initials were used to represent Bacchus, the god of wine, who early Christians identified with Jesus."

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟426,474.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So lets take a closer look at Bacchus and how this god is connected with the other religions. Early Christians were besieged with a large number of pagan beliefs, pagan symbols and Egyptian and Roman pagan rituals. The Christians adopted them as they did many other symbols from the pagans.The letters IHS constitute the sacred symbol of the Greek sun-god Baccus, (also known as Dionysus). Bacchus was the name adopted by the Romans and the frenzy he induces, bakkheia. Bacchus was the Roman god of wine and debauchery. He is also the Liberator (Eleutherios), whose wine, music and ecstatic dance frees his followers from self-conscious fear and care, and subverts the oppressive restraints of the powerful. Those who partake of his mysteries are possessed and empowered by the god himself.

According to Dr. Leonard Perry, ancient pagans fashioned ivy “into wreaths and garlands for decorations during the winter months.” Ivy had close ties with this Roman god of wine, Bacchus. Holly, meanwhile, figured prominently in the Roman celebration of the Saturnalia (upon which the Christmas holiday was directly modeled), as it was considered sacred to Saturn.

The ivy was dedicated to the Roman god Bacchus the God of Intoxication who is often depicted wearing a wreath of ivy and grapevines. He is also depicted holding a chalice and carrying a thyrsus (a wand) which was also entwined with ivy and vine leaves. Through its connection with the vine and nature, the ivy is also associated with one of the most popular of the ancient Egyptian gods Osiris, God of the Sun. His queen was Isis who was also his wife and sister. As Osiris ruled the sun, Isis represented the moon and was believed to have taught the Egyptians the arts of agriculture and medicine.

The insignia on the walls of the temple of Bacchus in Rome was a Roman cross and “IHS”—the three mystical letters to this day retained in Christian churches, and variously supposed to stand for “Jesus hominum salvator”—“Jesus humanity’s saviour”—or “in hoc signo”. It was the monogram of the Pagan god Bacchus, god of the vine, which in the Phœnician writing of Canaanite is simply Ies (IHS in Greek capital letters).

In Greek mythology, he is presented as a son of Zeus and the mortal Semele, thus semi-divine or heroic: and as son of Zeus and Persephone or Demeter, thus both fully divine, part-chthonic and possibly identical with Iacchus of the Eleusinian Mysteries.

"The early Christians acknowledged that Dionysos (his Greek name) / Bacchus (his Latin name) came before Jesus.
How? The Christian father Justin Martyr, writing in the 100s CE, wrote that the Devil reading the Old Testament prophesies of the messiah sent Bacchus early, to trick men about Jesus: "The devils, accordingly, when they heard these prophetic words, said that Bacchus was the son of Jupiter, and ...having been torn in pieces, he ascended into heaven." [Justin Martyr, First Apology, 54]"

Upvote 0