The Meaning of IHS (Split from "Black Pope" Thread at OP's Request)

O

OntheDL

The catholics will say IHS is Iesus Hominum Salvator or Jesus' name in Greek or simply In His Service.

But we know the bible tells us the characteristics of this power.

From Rev 13:2, the beast the rises out of the sea has the characteristics of previous beasts (from Dan 7), leopard (Greek), feet of bear (Medo-Persia) and the mouth of the lion (Babylon).

And Rev 17 tells us the woman has "Mystery, Babylon the great...abomination of the earth" written on her forehead.

So indeed the mystery religion of this power is same mystery Religions of Babylon, Egypt, Greek.

And we know the Babylons, Egyptians worship the father, mother and child deities.

What does this beast worship?

Also many of the idols Mary and baby Jesus hold up the 3 finger salute. The pope also does the 3 finger salute. Salute of the trinity.

The same trident salute of Jupiter...

I've heard that the "IHS" letters in the Jesuit symbol means...

Isis-Horus-Semarius----is this true--does anyone know?

Attachments

• 3fingerjesus.jpg
    3fingerjesus.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 220
  • heart-rcc.jpg
    heart-rcc.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 228
  • pius-3fingers.jpg
    pius-3fingers.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 3fingerJupier.jpg
    3fingerJupier.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 165
  • votive3.jpg
    votive3.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 184
Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟424,761.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The catholics will say IHS is Iesus Hominum Salvator or Jesus' name in Greek or simply In His Service.

But we know the bible tells us the characteristics of this power.

From Rev 13:2, the beast the rises out of the sea has the characteristics of previous beasts (from Dan 7), leopard (Greek), feet of bear (Medo-Persia) and the mouth of the lion (Babylon).

And Rev 17 tells us the woman has "Mystery, Babylon the great...abomination of the earth" written on her forehead.

So indeed the mystery religion of this power is same mystery Religions of Babylon, Egypt, Greek.

And we know the Babylons, Egyptians worship the father, mother and child deities.

What does this beast worship?

Also many of the idols Mary and baby Jesus hold up the 3 finger salute. The pope also does the 3 finger salute. Salute of the trinity.

The same trident salute of Jupiter...

I read somewhere that 'IHS' actually stood for something else, I cant remember exactly what but it wasnt a good thing......

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read somewhere that 'IHS' actually stood for something else, I cant remember exactly what but it wasnt a good thing......

It stands for the first three letters of Jesus' name in Greek: ΙΗΣ (transliterated as IHS in English). Τhat's not a bad thing. There are lots of conspiracy theories that try to make it into a bad thing, though.

Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Victorville, California, CorpUSA
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It stands for the first three letters of Jesus' name in Greek: ΙΗΣ (transliterated as IHS in English). Τhat's not a bad thing. There are lots of conspiracy theories that try to make it into a bad thing, though.

That, of course, is incorrect and would be almost as falacious as the standard Catholic understanding and explaination of the question of what IHS means.

Holy Name of Jesus

Jesus' name in greek is Iesius, which mean clearly that IHS is not the first three letters of Jesus' name in Greek.

This can be easily determined by referencing the following chart:
greek_alphabet.gif

Thus the first three letters of Jesus' name in Greek would be: IEΣ

You can read more about that here in a rather compelling study:

Which is the Greek spelling of the name of our Savior?

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That, of course, is incorrect and would be almost as falacious as the standard Catholic understanding and explaination of the question of what IHS means.

Holy Name of Jesus

Jesus' name in greek is Iesius, which mean clearly that IHS is not the first three letters of Jesus' name in Greek.

This can be easily determined by referencing the following chart:
greek_alphabet.gif

Thus the first three letters of Jesus' name in Greek would be: IEΣ

You can read more about that here in a rather compelling study:

Which is the Greek spelling of the name of our Savior?

Wrong. The first three letters of Jesus' name in Greek are iota, eta, sigma, not iota, epsilon, sigma. See these references:
http://eaglescc.org/htmlbible/CONGRK242.htm#S2424
http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G2424&Version=KJV

In the Blue Letter Bible transliteration, you should notice that there is a line over the e. That signifies that it is from the Greek letter eta, rather than epsilon.

Do you think that Jesus should be called only by the name "Yah'shua"? That seems to be what the site you referenced advocates, and it doesn't support your position that the second letter of Jesus' name in Greek is epsilon, either.

Upvote 0
O

OntheDL

About the linked article. http://www.geocities.com/dabar_olam/Gk-spelling.html

It's likely written by a member of the Sacred Name sect of the Hebrew Roots movement.

I see some issues with it.

The Greek name IEESOUS came from the Hebrew name YEHSHAH, YEH means God, SHAH came from SHEH, means save.

Take Moses name for example, that is MO SHEH. MO is egyptian means water, his name means water saves.

The word YEH is derived from EHYEH. First found in Exodus 3:14. It's translated as 'I AM', meaning the self-existing one.

The Hebrew or the Northern semitic language was a Egyptian-Phoenician phonics. The Greeks were probably the descendant of the Phoenicians. That's why the Greek had similar alphabets as the Paleo-Hebrew.

YHWH, the Tetrammaton has no vowels. The letters 'a' and 'e' were latter added as a guess to become YAHWEH.

Before we stray too far from the OP, the premise and the conclusion of the 'Sacred Name' are incorrect. If we don't problems pronouncing 'Moses', why should we pronounce His name as Yahshua? I'm guessing the Greek and the Paleo-Hebrew probably had similar pronunciations. And Jesus, the letter "J" didn't exist until later but the sound 'Jee' did, in the english pronunciation is probably the closest to the biblical name, for those who care to know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Wrong. The first three letters of Jesus' name in Greek are iota, eta, sigma, not iota, epsilon, sigma. See these references:
http://eaglescc.org/htmlbible/CONGRK242.htm#S2424
http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G2424&Version=KJV

You obviously didn't read the web link I provided. The greek spelling of Jesus that you provided through your IHS designation is inconsistent with proper Greek spelling.

From the site:

"Iesius or Ihsou? Ie... or Ih? A profound difference!

Contrary to popular belief, these two names at the beginning of this paragraph are NOT written in Greek letters! They are English equivalents of Greek letters! At the end of this paragraph there is the actual Greek lettering, and it's English counterpart. Note: There is no "e" in the biblical Greek spelling of the Savior's name, which is from the Hebrew, [wvwhy, "Yah'shua" [ihsou - Ihsou] (pronounced like "Joshua" with a "Y"2...). But...there IS an "e" in Iesius - IesiuH !"

Do you think that Jesus should be called only by the name "Yah'shua"?

Not necessarily. But then again, I know of no situation where any Biblical character, not one, at anytime, is referred to by just the first three letters of their name. Not one. Not even Jesus.

The point is here is that you are suggesting that Jesus is referred to by just the first three letters of His Greek name. There isn't one instance you can point to anywhere where it was common to refer to Jesus by just three letters in Christendom. Nowhere.

The Catholic church is the only one that does on a consistent basis as part of tradition and they are quite clear in their interpretation, however wrong it may be.

Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Nice article on IHS at about.com
http://altreligion.about.com/library/glossary/symbols/bldefsihs.htm

Cool carving from catacombs also.

"The IHS emblem today most commonly represents the communion wafer, and is closely asociated with the Jesuit Order."

How true that is. The IHS is and has always been a non-Christian way to address Jesus Christ.

"Some evangelicals have theorized that the initials stand for "Isis, Horus, and Seb," and are related to Egyptian sun worship, but this is a spurious claim that has never been supported by any solid evidence. Solar and Lunar symbolism have been in continual use by the Church and are most likely continuances of Roman ceremonial symbolism. There is, however, good evidence that the initials were used to represent Bacchus, the god of wine, who early Christians identified with Jesus."

Were pagan, we just won't admit it! :D

Upvote 0
O

OntheDL

Not necessarily. But then again, I know of no situation where any Biblical character, not one, at anytime, is referred to by just the first three letters of their name. Not one. Not even Jesus.

The point is here is that you are suggesting that Jesus is referred to by just the first three letters of His Greek name. There isn't one instance you can point to anywhere where it was common to refer to Jesus by just three letters in Christendom. Nowhere.

The Catholic church is the only one that does on a consistent basis as part of tradition and they are quite clear in their interpretation, however wrong it may be.

Also one should find it interestingly convenient that IHS should represent the name of Jesus in Greek while Latin not Greek has been the official language of RCC.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You obviously didn't read the web link I provided. The greek spelling of Jesus that you provided through your IHS designation is inconsistent with proper Greek spelling.

From the site:

"Iesius or Ihsou? Ie... or Ih? A profound difference!

Contrary to popular belief, these two names at the beginning of this paragraph are NOT written in Greek letters! They are English equivalents of Greek letters! At the end of this paragraph there is the actual Greek lettering, and it's English counterpart. Note: There is no "e" in the biblical Greek spelling of the Savior's name, which is from the Hebrew, [wvwhy, "Yah'shua" [ihsou - Ihsou] (pronounced like "Joshua" with a "Y"2...). But...there IS an "e" in Iesius - IesiuH !"

You obviously didn't read my post closely enough--or you don't know what transliterated means.

Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You obviously didn't read my post closely enough, or you don't know what transliterated means.

I did and I do.

The fact that no other Christian denomination, other than the Catholics, use this symbol and espouse such a notion, should have tipped your hand as to what the true meaning of IHS is.

Sophia, you are free to believe what you will. Obviously you won't let the fact that IHS doesn't correspond to the first three letters of the true Greek spelling of Jesus' name get in your way of that belief.

However, it might sway your argument some if you had one shred a proof in any Biblical text that Jesus was referred to as IHS. I think the most compelling argument put forth regarding the fallacy that was tendered by you was the one given by OntheDL.

Originally Posted by OntheDL
Also one should find it interestingly convenient that IHS should represent the name of Jesus in Greek while Latin not Greek has been the official language of RCC.

I can't help but notice you didn't address this.

While it is clearly fact that some people insist and believe that IHS is Greek for the first three letters of Jesus' name, the actual evidence for this notion is obviously false given the weight of evidence against such a notion. I'm certainly not surprised Sophia that you believe in something so clearly "made up."

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did and I do.

The fact that no other Christian denomination, other than the Catholics, use this symbol and espouse such a notion, should have tipped your hand as to what the true meaning of IHS is.

Sophia, you are free to believe what you will. Obviously you won't let the fact that IHS doesn't correspond to the first three letters of the true Greek spelling of Jesus' name get in your way of that belief.

However, it might sway your argument some if you had one shred a proof in any Biblical text that Jesus was referred to as IHS. I think the most compelling argument put forth regarding the fallacy that was tendered by you was the one given by OntheDL.

I can't help but notice you didn't address this.

While it is clearly fact that some people insist and believe that IHS is Greek for the first three letters of Jesus' name, the actual evidence for this notion is obviously false given the weight of evidence against such a notion. I'm certainly not surprised Sophia that you believe in something so clearly "made up."

For the last time, IHS isn't Greek; it's a transliteration, and Jesus' name in Greek is spelled with an eta rather than an epsilon. If you don't understand the significance of that, consult a credible source, not some site that advocates calling Jesus only by the name Yah'shua. The rest of your post is a red herring, and the fact that something isn't mentioned in the Bible doesn't make it evil. I'm certainly not surprised, RND, that you believe in something so clearly without evidence to support it.

Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
For the last time, IHS isn't Greek; it's a transliteration,

Can I assume then you are changing your position then?

Sophia, which is it? Greek or Chinese?

and Jesus' name in Greek is spelled with an eta rather than an epsilon.

Understood. Where is it ever used in any denomination outside of Catholicism? Where can we find it ever used in any scripture, letter or correspondence to describe Jesus? Help me out Sophia. Show me some evidence other than just saying it means what you say it means.

If you don't understand the significance of that, consult a credible source, not some site that advocates calling Jesus only by the name Yah'shua.

Are you saying that this person would be more credible if he didn't advocate calling Jesus Yah'shua?

Suggesting Jesus should be called Yah'shua ruins a persons credibility?

The rest of your post is a red herring, and the fact that something isn't mentioned in the Bible doesn't make it evil. I'm certainly not surprised, RND, that you believe in something so clearly without evidence to support it.

I figured you'd find a way to dodge the obvious Sophia. But seeing that you're position as to whether IHS is actual Greek or a transliteration dodging the obvious is understandable.

Upvote 0
O

OntheDL

If someone has said IHS are Latin initials of 'Iesus Hominum Salvator', I would have less problems with it.

Because of the fact as RND mentioned, no common practice of using the first 3 letters of the name to refer to the person is found in the Bible or by tradition. At least not any I'm not aware of. That's like saying BUS is Bush, and CLI is Clinton.

Also it's difficult for me to accept the Jesuits would use the transliteration of Greek letters in the seal of the order when RCC has been using Latin for official literature, worship service, bibles.

Combining with the fact that Catholic church does worship a father, mother and child trinity, I think it takes a greater faith to believe IHS stands for the first 3 Greek letters of Jesus' name than to believe they are initial of the trinity.

Upvote 0