The Lord's day.

The Lord' s day is Sunday.

• There is biblical evidence that Sunday is the Lord's day.

• There is no biblical evidence that Sunday is the Lord's day.

• I don't care if Sunday is the Lord's day or not.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Elder 111

Mar 12, 2010
where there is summer all year and sea all around
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been studying Revelation chapter1 and of course came across verse 10.
I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,
Here John does not explain what he means by the Lord's day but a look at the Greek shows: Kyriakos (-rē-ä-ko's) meaning belonging to the Lord /related to the Lord.
Most of us christians accept without question that this refers to Sunday. I was listening to Kay Arthur of Precept Ministries sometime ago and she said that it meant Sunday and that she would give the evidence for it, but I never heard her evidence.
It there any biblical support for assuming that the Lord's day is Sunday? I have seen none, not one!

VictorC

Jesus - that's my final answer
Mar 25, 2008
Northern Colorado
✟22,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
A day of the week is observed in the flesh, and John's first statement is "I was in the Spirit". This has an eschatological implication that suggests John was seeing things on the Lord's Day, aka the Day of the Lord. None of your poll responses takes this possibility into account.

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
A day of the week is observed in the flesh, and John's first statement is "I was in the Spirit". This has an eschatological implication that suggests John was seeing things on the Lord's Day, aka the Day of the Lord. None of your poll responses takes this possibility into account.

Perhaps the true LORD's Day is observed everyday?! Kinda like worshiping God in truth and in spirit?

Didn't the early church gather to worship everyday of the week? Or did they have a special day to meet?

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,
Here John does not explain what he means by the Lord's day but a look at the Greek shows: Kyriakos (-rē-ä-ko's) meaning belonging to the Lord /related to the Lord.
Most of us christians accept without question that this refers to Sunday. I was listening to Kay Arthur of Precept Ministries sometime ago and she said that it meant Sunday and that she would give the evidence for it, but I never heard her evidence.
It there any biblical support for assuming that the Lord's day is Sunday? I have seen none, not one!
Then you must not have read 1 Cor 16.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I go back and forth on whether it referred to Sunday, Saturday, or every day. But consider this where now I camp.

Spirit, voice, and trumpet were present on this Lord's day. Which day?

Ex. 19:16
And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled.

The verse from Exodus refers to Pentecost.

For Christians, Pentecost is the day the Spirit was poured out (Acts 2:1-4).

So, Lord's day is a specific day; that is, Pentecost, Sunday. It comes around once a year.

PS. Pentecost is always on a Sunday.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ForChristJesus

Oct 20, 2013
✟15,377.00
Faith
Christian

The word belonging (Kyriakos) to The Lord is what the day of The Lord is. Day of The Lord is an idiomatic expression to signify that the person is in the presence of the Lord without reference to any particular day of the week.

We see this idiomatic expression throughout scripture and the only interpretation that can be drawn needs to be in the context of what John is describing:

So what is John describing?

Revelation 1:10-11
I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last:and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

John is describing a great voice as of a trumpet declaring himself the Alpha and Omega then the Alpha and Omega asks John to write an open letter to the seven Apostolic churches in Asia.

So the opening words IN THE SPIRIT is the LORD's DAY.

Because The Lord is presenting himself to John and requesting of him to do his will.

The day of The Lord can come to any believer who is brought before the presence of the risen Christ. Hence it is not focused on a particular day of the week.

So the day of The Lord must fit the context whether it is:

1) A message that needs to be delivered in the case of John.
2) departing of a person to face judgements as recorded when the thief (death) comes in a day and hour that no man knows.
3) when The Lord comes to take vengeance upon his enemies.

Basically the day of The Lord is the Lord's presence in context to his sovereign will.

Upvote 0

Vladyslaus Kyivarius

Sep 15, 2013
✟9,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Actually, if consider Christianity, it seems that the question about the Lord's day stands far away from the main points such as Decalogue that have to be considered the key point that have to be accepted and used in daily life whatever...
But still we have the day in the week so to honor God specially and it seems not that important whether it will be Saturday or Sunday... Only God knows which day was it in the past. But still we obey His words for now on the daily basis and that is what important from the current perspective. We have to be kind and love others as well as He told us.
:)
God bless...

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight. (Acts 20:7)

On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with your income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made. (1 Corinthians 16:2)

In both of these verses you see people gathering together on the first day of the week so it obviously has significance. Also if you read what the earliest Christians believed and practiced then it is clear.

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I go back and forth on whether it referred to Sunday, Saturday, or every day. But consider this where now I camp.

And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled.

So, Lord's day is a specific day; that is, Pentecost, Sunday. It comes around once a year.

Voice and trumpet? Personally, I believe you are taking those passages out of context.

Both Revelation and Exodus are merely describing that God's voice is like that of a trumpet. Those who hear God's voice describe it as really loud, that it's usually said to be like thunder (2 Samuel 22:14), a trumpet, a roar etc.

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight. (Acts 20:7)

On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with your income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made. (1 Corinthians 16:2)

In both of these verses you see people gathering together on the first day of the week so it obviously has significance. Also if you read what the earliest Christians believed and practiced then it is clear.

And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.

So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved. Acts 2:42-47

____

So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath. Now when the congregation had broken up, many of the Jews and devout proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.

On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God. Acts 13:42-44

And in these verses, you have people either gathering everyday or on Sabbath to worship the LORD and break bread. We can conclude from both our passages that the early church considered no special day to meet and worship the LORD.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elder 111

Mar 12, 2010
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This understanding can not be true. All that John describe does not pertain to one set of events but many. Being in the Spirit only refers to being under the influence of the Holy Spirit, as all other prophets received their messages, it has no reference to time, or when the events would occur. That view is hardly accepted.

Upvote 0

Elder 111

Mar 12, 2010
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You must take into consideration that the decision to make Sunday the day of Pentecost came after John's time. What it meant in John time will be applicable. What day was Called the Lord's day in John time.

Upvote 0

Elder 111

Mar 12, 2010
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The word belonging (Kyriakos) to The Lord is what the day of The Lord is. Day of The Lord is an idiomatic expression to signify that the person is in the presence of the Lord without reference to any particular day of the week.

We see this idiomatic expression throughout scripture and the only interpretation that can be drawn needs to be in the context of what John is describing:

So what is John describing?

John is describing a great voice as of a trumpet declaring himself the Alpha and Omega then the Alpha and Omega asks John to write an open letter to the seven Apostolic churches in Asia.

So the opening words IN THE SPIRIT is the LORD's DAY.

Because The Lord is presenting himself to John and requesting of him to do his will.

The day of The Lord can come to any believer who is brought before the presence of the risen Christ. Hence it is not focused on a particular day of the week.

So the day of The Lord must fit the context whether it is:

1) A message that needs to be delivered in the case of John.
2) departing of a person to face judgements as recorded when the thief (death) comes in a day and hour that no man knows.
3) when The Lord comes to take vengeance upon his enemies.

Basically the day of The Lord is the Lord's presence in context to his sovereign will.
Take into consideration what John himself says. All that John says is current, He says he was on the isle of Patmos, For the word of the Lord. or because of witnessing for Christ.
One of the mistakes I have seen being made is that of saying that he heard a trumpet, he did not, he her a voice, that sounded like a trumpet.

Upvote 0

Elder 111

Mar 12, 2010
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, if consider Christianity, it seems that the question about the Lord's day stands far away from the main points such as Decalogue that have to be considered the key point that have to be accepted and used in daily life whatever...
But still we have the day in the week so to honor God specially and it seems not that important whether it will be Saturday or Sunday... Only God knows which day was it in the past. But still we obey His words for now on the daily basis and that is what important from the current perspective. We have to be kind and love others as well as He told us.
:)
God bless...
Are you then saying that we can not know which day, if any, that God would have us to worship Him? That the bible is totally unclear about that?

Upvote 0

Elder 111

Mar 12, 2010
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There is no indication that the first day was call the Lord's day. These accounts don't even imply that far less suggest it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VictorC

Jesus - that's my final answer
Mar 25, 2008
Northern Colorado
✟22,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This understanding can not be true. All that John describe does not pertain to one set of events but many. Being in the Spirit only refers to being under the influence of the Holy Spirit, as all other prophets received their messages, it has no reference to time, or when the events would occur. That view is hardly accepted.

The view I described has always had a minority acceptance, and that acceptance has been growing among academic circles, so your claim is easily dismissed. There is a growing number of people who are convinced that Scripture means what it really says in passages where the inspired author conveyed his thoughts in plain language devoid of symbolic images. Had John meant to refer to a day in the week, he would have called on that day - but he didn't. When he says he was in the Spirit, we should assume he meant to convey a thought that he was transported to the Lord's day, and then wrote about the things he saw in the future.

John said nothing about the sabbath. Pushing your obsession onto passages of Holy Writ is prejudicial interpretation that masks what the author means to tell us. You admit ignorance of this view of what John might have meant when he refers to the Lord's day, and that ignorance doesn't take into account John's statement "I was in the Spirit", as opposed to your obsession with observance in the flesh.

It is amazing to see how far your obsession takes you!
You wrote this to another member here:
You must take into consideration that the decision to make Sunday the day of Pentecost came after John's time.
The Day of Pentecost, aka Shavuot, is driven by the Law (Leviticus 23:16) to always fall on a Sunday. Standing Up was correct in his statement:
Standing Up said:
This was true since Shavuot's ordination in the Law nearly 1500 years before John's time.

Your prejudice is showing, and it is rebellion against God's Word.

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

:thumbsup:

Isaiah 61:1-2(NKJV)
1 “The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon Me, Because the Lord has anointed Me To preach good tidings to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives, And the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, And the day of vengeance of our God; To comfort all who mourn, (rev 11:18,19:15)

Joel 1:15(NKJV)
15 Alas for the day! For the day of the Lord is at hand; It shall come as destruction from the Almighty.

1 Thessalonians 5:2(NKJV)
2For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night.

the "day of the Lord" isn't necessarily tied to any particular day of week, rather, it speaks of a time yet future when God will openly intervene in world events.

this will happen at the last trump when the Christ returns!

"the day of the Lord" is "the Lord's day"!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

doesn't matter..

acts 2:46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts,

we can pick and choose.

rom 14:5 One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Are you then saying that we can not know which day, if any, that God would have us to worship Him? That the bible is totally unclear about that?

read rom 14;5. in his own mind, one guy does one day, another guy a different day...no big deal...

5 One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
read rom 14;5. in his own mind, one guy does one day, another guy a different day...no big deal...

5 One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

I can't decide if that represents a misreading of the Biblical passage or if, instead, it's a misreading of the question of the thread.

Upvote 0