✟83,578.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 110:1
Of David. A psalm. The LORD says to my lord: Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet."
The LORD
יְהוָ֨ה ׀ (Yah·weh)
Noun - proper - masculine singular
Strong's Hebrew 3068: LORD -- the proper name of the God of Israel

to my Lord: לַֽאדֹנִ֗י (adoni)
Preposition-l | Noun - masculine singular construct | first person common singular
Strong's Hebrew 113: Sovereign, controller

David was calling the second Lord, his Lord. Now the question is who else did David call "Lord" in the Bible?

David addressed King Saul as his Lord, 1 Samuel 24:
6 He said to his men, “The LORD forbid that I should do this thing to my lord, the LORD’s anointed, to put out my hand against him, seeing he is the LORD’s anointed.”
1 Samuel 26:17 Saul recognized David's voice and said, "Is that your voice, David my son?" David replied, "Yes it is, my lord the king."

There were other instances. The only times David called someone Lord (Adoni) were all addressed to a king.

The Jews at the time of Jesus knew this usage of the word Lord (Adoni). Then Jesus presented the conundrum to the Jews in Matthew 22:
41 While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, 42“What do you think about the Messiah? Whose son is he?”
“The son of David,” they replied.
43He said to them, “How is it then that David, speaking by the Spirit, calls him ‘Lord’? For he says,
44“ ‘The Lord said to my Lord:
“Sit at my right hand
until I put your enemies
under your feet.” ’
45If then David calls him ‘Lord,’ how can he be his son?” 46No one could say a word in reply, and from that day on no one dared to ask him any more questions.

The Pharisees knew:
  1. the Messiah King was supposed to be a descendant of David
  2. Psalm was a messianic psalm
  3. David called the Messiah King "Lord" (Adoni).
It made no sense to the Pharisees. How could David call one of his own descendants "Lord"?

Answer:

This Lord is not just a human descendant son of David; he is also the Son of God.
  1. Jesus was the Messianic King.
  2. Jesus was the Son of David in the fleshly lineage.
  3. Jesus was the Holy Son of God in the heavenly lineage.
The Pharisees didn't know what to say afterward. So they shut themselves up. However, the truth was inescapable if they were objective and logical about it.

Finally, to confirm the prophecy of Psalm 110:1, near the end of the Book of Mark, Mark 16:
19 After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God.

The LORD says to my Lord: The LORD says to my son (the Son of David) and the Son of God.

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
This verse is quoted by Jesus in the Gospels, specifically in Matthew 22:41-46, Mark 12:35-37, and Luke 20:41-44, where Jesus uses it to demonstrate the relationship between the Messiah (referred to as "my Lord") and David. Jesus' use of this passage highlights the concept of the Messiah's divinity and authority.

In addition to this specific instance, there are no other explicit references in the Bible where David refers to someone else as "my Lord." The focus of this passage is on the unique relationship between the Messiah and David, as interpreted in the New Testament.

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,578.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
there are no other explicit references in the Bible where David refers to someone else as "my Lord."
1 Samuel 24:8
Then David went out of the cave and called out to Saul, “My lord the king!” When Saul looked behind him, David bowed down and prostrated himself with his face to the ground.

Upvote 0