✟83,567.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
English Standard Version, Psalm 23:1
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

Actually, ancient Hebrew did not have a future tense.

want.
אֶחְסָֽר׃ (’eḥ·sār)
Verb - Qal - Imperfect - first person common singular
Strong's 2637: To lack, need, be lacking, decrease

BlueLetterBible:
The imperfect tense is translated in Hebrew most often as a future tense, but in reality what is actually being expressed is an incomplete condition, which is what the future tense indicates. However, there are other times when future time is not the focus, but rather continuous, unfinished action which may be expressed in past, present and future time.

New International Version:
A psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
Present tense.

I lack nothing now and will not lack anything in the future. It is an ongoing state beginning with now. I prefer NIV here.

Last edited:

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I love this right here, notice everything Jesus said they are without and then the question

Luke 22:35 And he said unto them,
When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes,
lacked ye any thing?
And they said, Nothing.

He sent them out without those things (even shoes) and when asked if they lacked anything (most people might answer, yes, a pair of shoes!) but they did not, they responded "nothing". That can be an example of the Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (lack). Which in this example had nothing to do with abundance.

But on the otherhand that man with great riches, despite having those things the man lacks (and was told to sell all he had).

In the one picture they dont even have shoes and yet they sense no lack in it, while the other has great riches but lacks

Proverbs 13:7 There is that maketh himself rich, yet hath nothing:
there is that maketh himself poor, yet hath great riches.

Reminds me a little of these 2 Cr 6:10 & Rev 3:17 also

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting thoughts.

The rich man in Matt19 lacked perfection. In Luke's version he lacked riches in Heaven. Different words with similar meanings.

James 1:2-8 explains how Christians lack apart from Spiritual growth through testing.

James 2:15 says fellow Christians may lack enough to eat.

NET Psalm 34:8-10 Taste and see that the LORD is good! How blessed is the one who takes shelter in him! 9 Remain loyal to the LORD, you chosen people of his, for his loyal followers lack nothing! 10 Even young lions sometimes lack food and are hungry, but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.

NKJ Matt6:33 "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
GDL's post reminds me of how that Paul said he was instructed to be both .

Phil 4:12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound:
every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

Phil 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Shows one can be instructed in both and able to do the same through Christ. Even as James points out about seeing a brother in any need this also provides us an opportunity to do unto the least of these my brethren ( a labor of love, not in word only, "Peace and be warm" but in deed and in truth, doing the truth). "when saw we thee an hungered, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked etc"? And did or did not minister unto him. Showing us that when you have done it unto the least of these brethren of his ye did it unto him. Even as he who sanctifies and them who are sanctified are all of one and its these that he is not ashamed to call brethren. So when looking again at what Paul was instructed in abounding and to suffer need (which he could do through Jesus Christ) is but an opportunity for others to prove the sincerity of their love so that fruit might abound to their account (heavenly, that is). And this in doing a service to one of his brethren. Which might be a decent example of one brothers abundance supplying another brothers need, these being one in the body of Christ and when properly working together there would be none needy among them because of what exists between them in this way. Well.. I could have probably put that much better I am not so good at putting things out there too good, but I have considered this a little.

Reactions: GDL
Upvote 0