Not open for further replies.

verismo

Apr 23, 2004
✟564.00
Faith
Catholic
andy153 said:
Dear friends,

In the early chapters of genesis we read references to, God, The Lord God and The Lord. Why is this ? Why not just say God all the time ?

I am sure there is a simple reason for it but I would be greatful for your thoughts.

andy153 :wave:
There is a theory that these different times, e.g. Gen ch 1 and ch 2 came from different sources.

Like in Ch 1 He is called I think Elohim (the strong one)

Where as in ch 2 He is called YHWH (Yaweh or Jehova, God's ineffible, proper name) Elohim, sometimes rendered "Lord God" where Elohim is just rendered "God"

I think it is called the JPED theory.

I think the book "Who wrote the Bible is on it. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060630353/qid=1095107241/sr=8-1/ref=pd_cps_1/002-5785960-8144061?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Upvote 0

muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I'm not all that big into the higher criticism that verismo has presented, but I am quite aware of the premise.

I, instead, ascribe everything to Moses (whether as compiler or writer).

Regarding the names, one thing that we must keep in mind is that a name in Judaism is much more than a name: it is a meaning.

Elohim, as I'm sure a lot know, is actually a plural form of the word el. This can mean G-d, deity, authority, judges, angels, and a number of things.

In Hebraic thought, the Elohim of Genesis 1 and 2 is considered a heavenly council between G-d and the angels. Christian doctrine has accepted it as a thought conceding the Trinity; however, this was never the case for a Jew.

The Name of G-d, also deemed HaShem (literally "the Name") is the proper name of G-d. There is no other assertion other than this. Everything else is a title or a type of description. The other common written form of this is YHVH; however, no one knows the correct pronunciation. This is where you get Jehovah. Taking the vowel sounds of adonai and putting them on the consonants of YHVH you get Yehovah (there is no "J" in Hebrew).

Shalom,

m.d.

Upvote 0

Macca

Veteran
Feb 25, 2004
Frankston North
✟9,640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
andy153 said:
Dear friends,

In the early chapters of genesis we read references to, God, The Lord God and The Lord. Why is this ? Why not just say God all the time ?

I am sure there is a simple reason for it but I would be greatful for your thoughts.

andy153 :wave:
Andy,
Take note of the upper or lower case of the word Lord/LORD, each has a different representation of the Godhead.This is where a good Hebrew lexicon comes in handy.
Macca. :holy: :preach:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.