U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The first day of the week, Sunday, began at Saturday sundown. That's a good 9-10 hours before daylight Sunday.
I agree, but Jesus rose on the seventh day Saturday according to prophecy. You have to get three days and three nights. It's a reason why Jesus rose on the seventh day, and not the first day of the week.

According to tradition, if Jesus had died on Friday, He would have been in the grave Friday night, Saturday day and Saturday night. One would not count Sunday because in John (20:1) it states that the 1st day of the week which is Sunday, Mary came to the grave site when it was still dark. In Luke (24:1-6) They find that the stone which was placed in front of the sepulcher had been removed and an angel tells them that Jesus had already risen. So much for Sunrise service, and notice it's Sun and not Son.

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Odd how you claim one thing, then post Scripture which directly contradicts your claim as evidence of your claim.
I believe it's something you don't understand, but you need to post some scripture or verses, or you just just free will talking with know proof.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus rose on the seventh day Saturday according to prophecy.
Really? What prophecy?
It's a reason why Jesus rose on the seventh day, and not the first day of the week.
Jesus rose on the first day of the week according to the scriptures.
  • And in the end of the sabbath, when it began to dawn towards the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalen and the other Mary, to see the sepulchre. (Matthew)
  • And very early in the morning, the first day of the week, they come to the sepulchre, the sun being now risen. (Mark)
  • And on the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came to the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared. (Luke)
  • And on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalen cometh early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre: and she saw the stone taken away from the sepulchre. (John)

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One would not count Sunday because in John (20:1) it states that the 1st day of the week which is Sunday, Mary came to the grave site when it was still dark. In Luke (24:1-6) They find that the stone which was placed in front of the sepulcher had been removed and an angel tells them that Jesus had already risen.
Of course you would count Sunday. It had been several hours of Sunday when the stone was rolled away just before the dawn. There is not a single verse that suggests Jesus rose before sunset on the Sabbath.
So much for Sunrise service, and notice it's Sun and not Son.
The Eastern Orthodox Church begins the Pascha service around 10:30pm on Saturday night. Just after midnight we proclaim "Christ is Risen" and the service continues till about 3am. We all get home well before sunrise, having already seen the Son rise

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree, but Jesus rose on the seventh day Saturday according to prophecy
What about the prophecy Peter quoted from Psalm 16:10?

For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

If Jesus was in the grave for much over 24 hours, His body would have begun to decompose.
Here is what Peter said in Acts 2:22-31

“Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs which God did through him in your midst, as you yourselves know— this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men. But God raised him up, having loosed the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it. For David says concerning him,
‘I saw the Lord always before me,
for he is at my right hand that I may not be shaken;
therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced;
moreover my flesh will dwell in hope.
For thou wilt not abandon my soul to Hades,
nor let thy Holy One see corruption.
Thou hast made known to me the ways of life;
thou wilt make me full of gladness with thy presence.’
“Brethren, I may say to you confidently of the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. Being therefore a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants upon his throne, he foresaw and spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What about the prophecy Peter quoted from Psalm 16:10?

For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

If Jesus was in the grave for much over 24 hours, His body would have begun to decompose.
Here is what Peter said in Acts 2:22-31

“Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs which God did through him in your midst, as you yourselves know— this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men. But God raised him up, having loosed the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it. For David says concerning him,
‘I saw the Lord always before me,
for he is at my right hand that I may not be shaken;
therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced;
moreover my flesh will dwell in hope.
For thou wilt not abandon my soul to Hades,
nor let thy Holy One see corruption.
Thou hast made known to me the ways of life;
thou wilt make me full of gladness with thy presence.’
“Brethren, I may say to you confidently of the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. Being therefore a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants upon his throne, he foresaw and spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption.
I agree, but still in all Jesus himself says in An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: 40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. (Matthew 12:38) So we are going to pretend Jonas wasn't in the belly of a whale.Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three night. (Jonas 1:17)

Let's take another look at it (John 2:18) Then answered the Jews and said unto him, “What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?” (19) Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. (20) Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? (21) But he spake of the temple of his body. Jesus makes it clear the time between His death and resurrection would be 3 days and 3 nights.

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Of course you would count Sunday. It had been several hours of Sunday when the stone was rolled away just before the dawn. There is not a single verse that suggests Jesus rose before sunset on the Sabbath.

The Eastern Orthodox Church begins the Pascha service around 10:30pm on Saturday night. Just after midnight we proclaim "Christ is Risen" and the service continues till about 3am. We all get home well before sunrise, having already seen the Son rise
Remember the Church started in the wilderness, and everything have to be done according the the word of God.

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Really? What prophecy?

Jesus rose on the first day of the week according to the scriptures.
  • And in the end of the sabbath, when it began to dawn towards the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalen and the other Mary, to see the sepulchre. (Matthew)
  • And very early in the morning, the first day of the week, they come to the sepulchre, the sun being now risen. (Mark)
  • And on the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came to the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared. (Luke)
  • And on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalen cometh early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre: and she saw the stone taken away from the sepulchre. (John)
Show me? Now the scripture are from Genesis to Malachi.

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What prophecy?
Peter said in 2Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Peter is letting us know that prophecy, from Genesis to Malachi is more surer then the New Testament. Did you know that all was told about Jesus was first written by prophecy?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Clearly, you don't.
but still in all Jesus himself says in An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: 40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. (Matthew 12:38)
Jesus also said He would rise "On the third day" and Peter confirms this in Acts 10 that He did in fact rise on the third day.
So we are going to pretend Jonas wasn't in the belly of a whale.
You do love making strawman arguments, don't you.
Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three night. (Jonas 1:17)
Synecdoche.
Let's take another look at it (John 2:18) Then answered the Jews and said unto him, “What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?” (19) Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. (20) Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? (21) But he spake of the temple of his body.
In three days. Not on the 4th day
Jesus makes it clear the time between His death and resurrection would be 3 days and 3 nights.
Jesus makes it clear and the Apostles confirm that Jesus rose on the third day after He died. There is no possible way to get both 3 days and 3 nights in the grave AND rise on the third day unless the former expression is synecdoche. If Jesus was in the grave for as long as you claim then His body would have begun to decay, thus breaking the prophecy of Psalm 16

• Winner
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Peter is letting us know that prophecy, from Genesis to Malachi is more surer then the New Testament.
Are you writing your posts in the correct part of the forum?

Have a read of this, click the link to "statement of faith"
The General Theology forums are for discussing and debating the various theological doctrines of the Christian faith. All member's who participate in GT are self-identified Christians through adherence to the Christian Forums' Statement of Faith and the Trinitarian nature of God. It is expected that people who post in GT will respect all members of the Christian faith. Theological discussions can at times become heated, so please remember to keep your emotions in check and your responses in line with our sitewide rules and the following guidelines.​

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Peter is letting us know that prophecy, from Genesis to Malachi is more surer then the New Testament.
That is not what I understand when read in the context of the rest of the chapter.

• Agree
Upvote 0