Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm currently reading this now and am about 58 pages in. It's kind of a difficult read because the language & prose is very archaic, but so far it's a good book and I have learned more about St. Francis than I previously knew and I thought that I knew quite a bit. Dude was pretty hardcore in his quest for holiness and I wish that I could be the same way. Some of the lengths he went to for mortification of the flesh were more extreme than I could ever hope to go for though, but I guess that's why he's a saint and I'm not.

It has also renewed in me the wish that I could have joined the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal when I had the chance... that's one thing that I'll be kicking myself over until I go to my grave, not entering the novitiate with them when I could have. I should have just detoxed off of the cymbalta, dealt with the depression, and joined them. Too late now.

Anyone else ever read this one? If so, what did you think of it? What are your opinions on St. Francis?

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm currently reading this now and am about 58 pages in. It's kind of a difficult read because the language & prose is very archaic, but so far it's a good book and I have learned more about St. Francis than I previously knew and I thought that I knew quite a bit. Dude was pretty hardcore in his quest for holiness and I wish that I could be the same way. Some of the lengths he went to for mortification of the flesh were more extreme than I could ever hope to go for though, but I guess that's why he's a saint and I'm not.

It has also renewed in me the wish that I could have joined the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal when I had the chance... that's one thing that I'll be kicking myself over until I go to my grave, not entering the novitiate with them when I could have. I should have just detoxed off of the cymbalta, dealt with the depression, and joined them. Too late now.

Anyone else ever read this one? If so, what did you think of it? What are your opinions on St. Francis?
I love Saint Francis. My Irish Catholic grandmother had a devotion to him. I don’t know why I love him, I just do. Him, and Saint Maximilian Kolbe, who was also a Franciscan.

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ever thought of becoming a Franciscan tertiary?

I honestly never knew that such a thing even existed. I'm going to look into it although I doubt that I'd be accepted because I've got a criminal record.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I honestly never knew that such a thing even existed. I'm going to look into it although I doubt that I'd be accepted because I've got a criminal record.
You could ask. And, I mean, seriously, a lot of Saints have had criminal records. Or the equivalent thereof. At least ask, Brother.

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Like I said, I'm going to look into it but I have some things I have to do first like take care of about $3k worth of debt and finish felony probation. Then after these things are taken care of, I'll look into it.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Bonaventure is very organized, thematic and scholastic. Celano and others are good also.

Upvote 0