Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was a lad, I loved fall. :) I loved the way it smelled outside, I loved the bright, bright yellow leaves of maples against their wet black trunks in the rain; I loved the apple cider and the pumpkin doughnuts. :) I just really loved the whole thing. Still do, to be honest.

I wasn't too crazy about going back to school, granted; but I guess there always has to be something to even things out, yeah?

I always loved wintertime when I was a kid, too, but now not so much---I'm just plain getting too old to deal with it well any more. :( But that won't stop me from enjoying a really good howling blizzard, as long as I can sit inside where it's warm, and watch it through the windows. :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was a lad, I loved fall. :) I loved the way it smelled outside, I loved the bright, bright yellow leaves of maples against their wet black trunks in the rain; I loved the apple cider and the pumpkin doughnuts. :) I just really loved the whole thing. Still do, to be honest.

I wasn't too crazy about going back to school, granted; but I guess there always has to be something to even things out, yeah?

I always loved wintertime when I was a kid, too, but now not so much---I'm just plain getting too old to deal with it well any more. :( But that won't stop me from enjoying a really good howling blizzard, as long as I can sit inside where it's warm, and watch it through the windows. :)
My problem is worrying about all that are actually in the blizzard. I’m sure if I felt everyone was safe and warm, I’d enjoy it a whole lot more. But I’m a born worry wart.

• Prayers
Reactions: Wolseley
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the last snowstorm in Johannesburg was back in 1930, before my dad was even born, rest his dear soul.

SOUTH AFRICA: Snowstorm in Johannesburg (1930)

I know a woman originally from Virginia; she married a college buddy of mine and moved up here to Michigan. Unfortunately, my buddy passed away earlier this year (nothing to do with Covid) and she's been left to adjust on her own in a totally new place, in a vastly different climate than what she's used to.

A true Southerner, she is amazed at our casual response to what she views as extreme weather. A week or so ago, we had a violent severe thunderstorm front go through---one of those real dandies, with black skies, 50-MPH winds, hail, horizontal rain, lightning strikes, the whole schmeer. She was ready to head for a fallout shelter, and was dumbfounded by her co-workers, who just shrugged and kept sipping their coffee, LOL. "What is wrong with you people?", she asked. ^_^

I told her that as it was going through over here on the Lake Michigan shoreline, I was on the highway, heading for an appointment at the VA. Raining so hard you couldn't see the road, but you could dead-reckon your way by means of the lightning strikes that kept hitting the road a mile or so ahead, LOL. No big deal.

She told me I was obviously insane. I laughed and said, "If think that was bad, wait until you've experienced your very first northern Michigan blizzard---you get black skies, howling wind, snow coming down so heavy that visibility is non-existent, and you're getting drifts piling up at the rate of about two to three feet every hour."

She said, "That's it! I'm outta here! I'm grabbing the cat and running for dear life back to the South!" ^_^ I don't think she's going anywhere, at least not right now, anyway, but we'll see how she handles this next winter. She's said that she would prefer to eventually go back to Virginia, and if the cold and the ice and snow on the way are bad enough, she might decide to vacate Yankeeland altogether. :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Look at what hubby brought home to me from a Church sale. :)
0FC83549-233D-42A0-80DB-A9B0C063F9AF.jpeg

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Michie - that's gorgeous ! I'd love to have one like that :)
It’s an antique. I think I will put it in the kitchen my the fireplace. Just cleaned it up. It is super comfortable to sit in. 20 bucks! Hubby is quite proud of himself at the moment. Lol!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Michie, I have this antique chair my mother had inherited. It is the only thing I have from her. I remember sitting on it as a kid and it is still solid as a rock.
Things are not made like that anymore. Everything is designed today to last so long. After that they want you in the market again to replace it. Appliances, etc. Totally different mindset from the past as compared to today. Things were meant to last back on the day. Today? Not so much.

Have you got a pic of your heirloom I can see? I’ll research it for you.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Things are not made like that anymore. Everything is designed today to last so long. After that they want you in the market again to replace it. Appliances, etc. Totally different mindset from the past as compared to today. Things were meant to last back on the day. Today? Not so much.

Have you got a pic of your heirloom I can see? I’ll research it for you.

Sure, after my late supper.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I’ve been picking some fall blooms and putting them into vases. A lot of the wild plants bloom in various colors and they make pretty arrangements.
We harvested half of our gourds and squash and pumpkin today. One worthwhile pumpkin and about 30 of the strangest gourds ever. Only four worthwhile squash. Last year we had 50 from two plants.

We also made chili for dinner using fresh tomatoes. We have a ton of tomatoes still ripening.

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
We harvested half of our gourds and squash and pumpkin today. One worthwhile pumpkin and about 30 of the strangest gourds ever. Only four worthwhile squash. Last year we had 50 from two plants.

We also made chili for dinner using fresh tomatoes. We have a ton of tomatoes still ripening.

Fresh tomatoe chili slurp

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Fresh tomatoe chili slurp
But I also had to mow the grass. Often in late summer the grass goes a bit dormant but not this year. Too much rain and the grass just kept on growing. I see some trees beginning to change color, but not much.

• Haha
Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
But I also had to mow the grass. Often in late summer the grass goes a bit dormant but not this year. Too much rain and the grass just kept on growing. I see some trees beginning to change color, but not much.

Trees are changing here also. I see more yellow leaves before all the colors arrive.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Pumpkins and squash are fun to grow. Chili made from garden tomatoes is the way to go. Getting ready to make several varieties of Chili here real soon! :)

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I know a woman originally from Virginia; she married a college buddy of mine and moved up here to Michigan. Unfortunately, my buddy passed away earlier this year (nothing to do with Covid) and she's been left to adjust on her own in a totally new place, in a vastly different climate than what she's used to.

A true Southerner, she is amazed at our casual response to what she views as extreme weather. A week or so ago, we had a violent severe thunderstorm front go through---one of those real dandies, with black skies, 50-MPH winds, hail, horizontal rain, lightning strikes, the whole schmeer. She was ready to head for a fallout shelter, and was dumbfounded by her co-workers, who just shrugged and kept sipping their coffee, LOL. "What is wrong with you people?", she asked. ^_^

I told her that as it was going through over here on the Lake Michigan shoreline, I was on the highway, heading for an appointment at the VA. Raining so hard you couldn't see the road, but you could dead-reckon your way by means of the lightning strikes that kept hitting the road a mile or so ahead, LOL. No big deal.

She told me I was obviously insane. I laughed and said, "If think that was bad, wait until you've experienced your very first northern Michigan blizzard---you get black skies, howling wind, snow coming down so heavy that visibility is non-existent, and you're getting drifts piling up at the rate of about two to three feet every hour."

She said, "That's it! I'm outta here! I'm grabbing the cat and running for dear life back to the South!" ^_^ I don't think she's going anywhere, at least not right now, anyway, but we'll see how she handles this next winter. She's said that she would prefer to eventually go back to Virginia, and if the cold and the ice and snow on the way are bad enough, she might decide to vacate Yankeeland altogether. :)

*ROTFLOLSMCAOMK*

Upvote 0