Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was out and about yesterday, and was surprised at the changes in the foliage, especially since it really hasn't been that cold yet. Most of the trees have lots of yellow in them now, and some of them have that funky peach color they get right before they change completely.

The sumacs have really gone yellow, and I saw a couple different stands of burning bush that were bright red already. The stands of corn are all khaki-brown, and a lot of the fields that were planted to squash or pumpkins were being harvested. Some of the fields have been harvested and have been worked over already.

It's funny....last summer seemed to drag on forever, and this summer whipped by so fast it was gone before you knew it. And while I am looking forward to those cooler temperatures (the long-term forecast here for next week is predicting highs only in the low 60s), I know what's coming after that, LOL. Time to break out the field jackets and parkas. :)

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was out and about yesterday, and was surprised at the changes in the foliage, especially since it really hasn't been that cold yet. Most of the trees have lots of yellow in them now, and some of them have that funky peach color they get right before they change completely.

The sumacs have really gone yellow, and I saw a couple different stands of burning bush that were bright red already. The stands of corn are all khaki-brown, and a lot of the fields that were planted to squash or pumpkins were being harvested. Some of the fields have been harvested and have been worked over already.

It's funny....last summer seemed to drag on forever, and this summer whipped by so fast it was gone before you knew it. And while I am looking forward to those cooler temperatures (the long-term forecast here for next week is predicting highs only in the low 60s), I know what's coming after that, LOL. Time to break out the field jackets and parkas. :)
I hope we have a long autumn. I’m not a huge fan of winter. I’ve noticed some change in the leaves here but nothing big yet. I have noticed some leaf drop on certain trees.

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married

On my side of the world, we are just done with winter, and it's time to get rid if the field jackets and parkas. ^_^

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Some of the Japanese maples are turning. And it’s definitely getting chillier!

I live in Johannesburg, where it can get cold. But down in Durban, in the middle of winter, you'd never know that it is winter, because everything is still green, with lovely clear weather and spring like warmth in the air.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I live in Johannesburg, where it can get cold. But down in Durban, in the middle of winter, you'd never know that it is winter, because everything is still green, with lovely clear weather and spring like warmth in the air.
That actually sounds lovely. :heartpulse:

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well now I’m just jealous.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On my side of the world, we are just done with winter, and it's time to get rid if the field jackets and parkas. ^_^

Yes, you and Australia and Argentina and New Zealand, LOL.

I have heard that South Africa is a beautiful, beautiful place, but I confess I don't really know a lot about it. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

andreha

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
That actually sounds lovely. :heartpulse:

Oh it certainly is, but that changes when summer hits Durban. Then it becomes like a steamer, being a coastal city. So, we prefer going there during winter. Just a pity there are very few opportunities for folks who specialize in my line of work. But, Johannesburg is quite temperate. During the middle of winter, temperatures can go slightly below freezing, but only for a few weeks. And the summers are quite comfortable. Just in the middle of summer, I prefer to sleep with the AC on. We also very rarely ever have tornados, hurricanes, cyclones, earthquakes or anything like that.

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Yes, you and Australia and Argentina and New Zealand, LOL.

I have heard that South Africa is a beautiful, beautiful place, but I confess I don't really know a lot about it. :)

It is quite, I must say. One place I'd love to go visit is Walvis Bay (But that's all the way up in Namibia.)

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Well now I’m just jealous.

Don't worry, if you saw what went on in Durban just a month ago or so, you'd be happy to stay home. There were an uprising that saw 100's of shops and businesses destroyed. That's another reason why I prefer Johannesburg.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is quite, I must say. One place I'd love to go visit is Walvis Bay (But that's all the way up in Namibia.)

Namibia has always fascinated me---all of that orange desert, and all those old abandoned mining towns. :) You never hear too much about Namibia here; I'm not even sure what they do there....certainly not agriculture?

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't worry, if you saw what went on in Durban just a month ago or so, you'd be happy to stay home. There were an uprising that saw 100's of shops and businesses destroyed. That's another reason why I prefer Johannesburg.
That’s terrible!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Namibia has always fascinated me---all of that orange desert, and all those old abandoned mining towns. :) You never hear too much about Namibia here; I'm not even sure what they do there....certainly not agriculture?

Quite true. I used to work for a Namibian Banking group. It's a very safe place to live in, but extremely expensive (From a ZAR perspective) and perhaps an attractive choice for people in the US. Namibia's government is one of the best I've ever heard of - politically very stable. Much more so than South Africa. Namibia imports a lot of goods from South Africa. South Africa has a lot of water and is quite strong agriculturally. Just the government is not so nice. Each country has its issues really. The one thing the put me off going to the US would be the lack of religious freedom, as well as schools banning Christianity. The reason for me feeling so strongly about this is that I first heard of Jesus in grade school. Not at home.

Reactions: Wolseley
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟143,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
no-please.gif

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I hope we have a long autumn. I’m not a huge fan of winter. I’ve noticed some change in the leaves here but nothing big yet. I have noticed some leaf drop on certain trees.

I love the fall . The whole season evokes good feelings. I agree about winter. Not a fan.

Upvote 0