The Laws of Science VS the Law & Commandments of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
By laws of Science I mostly mean the laws of physics but there are also laws of Biology, Chemistry, and Geology. Even there are laws for Economics, Psychology, Sociology, Politics, and so on.

We know how accurate and precise the Laws of Physics and the Universe are. Do we know how exact and precise the Justice of God is? Why is it that people are so quick to embrace the Laws of Physics but they want to reject the law and commandments of God?

Clearly, we are told to be Holy and not to defile ourselves. Leviticus 11:44
Do we take God at His word to believe He means what He says?

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
If you're trying to make an argument of the laws of science vs God's own commandments, it shows that you don't know what the laws of science actually entail.
The question is where do the laws of Science come from? Or more exactly the Laws of physics.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,904.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
The question is where do the laws of Science come from? Or more exactly the Laws of physics.

Then actually ask that question in the opening post of the thread then.

But to answer your question: from studying the world around us. Very simple answer.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
By laws of Science I mostly mean the laws of physics but there are also laws of Biology, Chemistry, and Geology. Even there are laws for Economics, Psychology, Sociology, Politics, and so on.

We know how accurate and precise the Laws of Physics and the Universe are. Do we know how exact and precise the Justice of God is? Why is it that people are so quick to embrace the Laws of Physics but they want to reject the law and commandments of God?

No, because we don't have the words of any gods. Just the words of men who claim, without evidence, they are the words of a god.

Also, the laws of physics are descriptive, not prescriptive. They are based on our observations. If those observations are tested and consistently show the same result then we call it a "law", but different observations could change them.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
...Why is it that people are so quick to embrace the Laws of Physics but they want to reject the law and commandments of God?
Probably because the laws of science are based on reason and observation which anyone, in principle, can follow.

The words of God in the Bible, by contrast, appear to be culturally contingent to the person outside of that particular faith commitment.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God gave authority to Adam to name all of creation this includes the unveiling of scientific knowledge through the centuries. IMO, this has nothing to do with spiritual and moral matters, those are in a different categoriy and are subject to the individuals heart towards God and whether they embrace a relationship with Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,117.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
@Diamond7 . You are equivocating. The Laws of Science are quite different from the Laws of God. They are so dramatically different that calling both of them Laws rather defeates the goal of clear communication. It is about as meaningful as asking ""Why do orange coloured hi-vis vests taste so different to tangerines?"

And, as a secondary point, there are only a handful of Laws in science, unless you use the word in a very general sense. Scientific knowledge is expressed in terms of theories, not Laws.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
there are only a handful of Laws in science,
There are only three laws in the Bible. Love God, Love your Neighbor & Love yourself. The "Jewish" people have 613 laws but Christians and people that follow the teachings of Christ only need to follow those three. All of the Bible is an expression of God's love and the Justice of God. We are to be right or righteous and live holy, consecrated, dedicated, sanctified lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others

I don't know much about any of the others, but I do know a bit about Geology. And I had no idea that there were laws of Geology.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know much about any of the others, but I do know a bit about Geology. And I had no idea that there were laws of Geology.
"Yes, there are indeed laws of geology! Geology is the scientific study of the Earth, including its structure, composition, and processes. The laws of geology describe the fundamental principles that govern geological processes, such as plate tectonics, erosion, sedimentation, and the formation of rocks and minerals.

For example, one of the most well-known laws in geology is the law of superposition, which states that in an undeformed sequence of sedimentary rocks, each layer is older than the one above it and younger than the one below it. Another important law is the law of cross-cutting relationships, which states that a rock unit or structure that cuts across another unit must be younger than the unit that it cuts.

These laws, along with others, help geologists to understand the processes that have shaped the Earth over time, and to make predictions about future geological events and the behavior of geological materials."

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,955.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

You're conflating two different usages of the word 'Law'.

A Law in the sciences is descriptive. A scientific law is a statement that describes an observation about the natural world which has been well established through repeated testing.

For instance, Newton's Third Law is: "For every action in nature there is an equal and opposite reaction". Or Boyle's Law is: "When the temperature of a given mass of confined gas is constant, the product of its pressure and volume is also constant". Or the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility is "The additional benefit which a person derives from a given increase in the stock of a thing diminishes with every increase in the stock that he already has.”

The Laws of the Bible (and various other religious texts) are prescriptive. The require (or prohibit) certain behaviours by certain classes of people.

For instance, Leviticus 25:44-46 is "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly."

Or Deuteronomy 17: 2-6 is: "If a man or woman living among you in one of the towns the Lord gives you is found doing evil in the eyes of the Lord your God in violation of his covenant, and contrary to my command has worshiped other gods, bowing down to them or to the sun or the moon or the stars in the sky, and this has been brought to your attention, then you must investigate it thoroughly. If it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, take the man or woman who has done this evil deed to your city gate and stone that person to death".

One describes the world. One tells you what to do - including where you can take your slaves from, or to kill people who worship other gods.

So, why do I reject those Laws and Commandments? Because many of them would require me to harm people and/or reduce the general good of society.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
There are only three laws in the Bible. Love God, Love your Neighbor & Love yourself. The "Jewish" people have 613 laws but Christians and people that follow the teachings of Christ only need to follow those three. All of the Bible is an expression of God's love and the Justice of God. We are to be right or righteous and live holy, consecrated, dedicated, sanctified lives.
If you think agree all of the Bible is an expression of God's love and the justice of of God, then that would include the 613 laws that God gave in the OT, which is more than three laws. For example, if we love God and our neighbor, then we won't commit idolatry, adultery, theft, murder, kidnapping, rape, favoritism, and so forth for the rest of the 613 law, so the they are inclusive of all of the other commandments, which is why Jesus said in Matthew 22:36-40 that all of the other commandments hang on them. Jesus was not asked about which were the only laws that we still need to follow, but about what the greatest commandment is, and the existence of the greatest two commandments implies that the other commandments that are not the greatest still exist. Jesus taught obedience to a lot more than just three laws both by word and by example.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
If you think agree all of the Bible is an expression of God's love and the justice of of God, then that would include the 613 laws
I think we should do all we can to live right before God but we need to follow the teachings of Jesus when He tells us not to "weigh men down with heavy burdens". The law was given for our benefit. This is why David says that he delights in the law a daily meditates upon it.

Psalm 1 "1Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, or set foot on the path of sinners, or sit in the seat of mockers. 2But his delight is in the Law of the LORD, and on His law he meditates day and night. 3He is like a tree planted by streams of water, yielding its fruit in season, whose leaf does not wither, and who prospers in all he does"

Luke 11:46
"Woe to you as well, experts in the law!" He replied. "You weigh men down with heavy burdens, but you yourselves will not lift a finger to lighten their load.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,904.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
So we create laws through the observer effect?

Not at all.
In nature, certain things are observed to happen, like one of the most fundamental being that two objects cannot exist at the same time in the same place. That is a law of physics.

Scientific laws are not the same God's laws because they are not commandments to follow. I really do think you need to brush up on your understanding of science since this is elementary/primary school stuff.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
two objects cannot exist at the same time in the same place.
I think you need to tell my wife that. To be fair she comes from a big family and a small house. But she seems to be convinced that two people can share the same space at the same time. Even though she takes up half as much space as I do . So two of them can exit in the same space as one of me.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,904.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I think you need to tell my wife that. To be fair she comes from a big family and a small house. But she seems to be convinced that two people can share the same space at the same time. Even though she takes up half as much space as I do . So two of them can exit in the same space as one of me.

Not even remotely connected to what I was saying, nor would I even care.

Stop responding to random parts of a comment that take your fancy and actually make the effort to respond to the actual post like an adult would. You are very much getting on my nerves with these half-baked responses of yours.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
For example, if we love God and our neighbor, then we won't commit idolatry, adultery, theft, murder, kidnapping, rape, favoritism, and so forth for the rest of the 613 law,
To NOT do something is neutral. You can still be guilty of the sins of omission where you do not do what you should be doing for others. Many a divorce is not for what people do but what they left undone and do not do. So should we go off and live in a cabin by ourselves so we do not risk doing something unloving? Do you think that is an expression of our love for others to isolate ourselves from them? In some cases, we are told that people would rather have negative attention than to be ignored and receive no attention at all.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.