Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by Stryder06 It would be great to see you actually address the scriptures presented in the OP.
I thought you told me in the pm,that you did not want to butt heads with me anymore,and you were praying for me?:):wave:
I would rather not butt heads with either one of you :D :p

John 5:39 "Ye are searching the Writings that ye are seeming in them Life age-during to be having,
and those are the ones-testifying about Me".

2 Peter 3:16 As also in all the letters speaking in them about these-things in which is difficult-to-understandwho-any which the un-learned and un-steadfast are wresting/twisting as also the rests of Writings toward the own of them destruction/apwleian <684>

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
If you do not keep The Ten Commandment Covenant, you are lawless and will not enjoy eternal life. But, first you must be born again: John 3:3-7.

The Ten Commandment Covenant is a must for Christians.

How can we keep sopmething,that was put in place to increase the trespass,as we see it did in Rom 7?

Paul was talking about the 10 commandment.:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mwood30

Mickey
Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
✟16,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The law was actually made for the lawless

Even more to your point, Paul used the Koine Greek word dikaioi when describing who the Law came for. The Koine papyri discovered Egypt revealed this word deals with: those who are unjust, those who treat others inequitably, those who trample on human rights (The Jesus Secret, p.10).

This means, the Law came for those who treat other people inequitably; everyone else doesn't need the Law.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I would rather not butt heads with either one of you :D :p

John 5:39 "Ye are searching the Writings that ye are seeming in them Life age-during to be having,
and those are the ones-testifying about Me".

2 Peter 3:16 As also in all the letters speaking in them about these-things in which is difficult-to-understandwho-any which the un-learned and un-steadfast are wresting/twisting as also the rests of Writings toward the own of them destruction/apwleian <684>
frogs have warts.:blush:

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Even more to your point, Paul used the Koine Greek word dikaioi when describing who the Law came for. The Koine papyri discovered Egypt revealed this word deals with: those who are unjust, those who treat others inequitably, those who trample on human rights (The Jesus Secret, p.10).

This means, the Law came for those who treat other people inequitably; everyone else doesn't need the Law.
Ahhh.....a man that knows his Greek :thumbsup:
[welcome to CF btw :wave:

Scripture4All - Greek/Hebrew interlinear Bible software

1 Timothy 1:8 We have perceived yet that good the Law, if-ever any him lawfully/ nomimwV <3545> is using;
9 Being aware of this, that to just/righteous-one/dikaiw <1342> law not is laid-down, to unlawed/lawless-ones/anomoiV <459> yet and to disobedient to irreverant ones, and to sinners to malign ones, and to profane ones, to smiters of father and to smiters of mother, to man-murderers

Upvote 0

mwood30

Mickey
Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
✟16,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How can we keep sopmething,that was put in place to increase the trespass,as we ss it did in Rom 7?

Paul was talking about the 10 commandment.:)

And in the same letter he wrote that Christian have one obligation, love one another because it fulfills the Law of Christ.

Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; because he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. - Romans 13:8

We are not under the Law of Moses, but we have an obligation to the Law of Christ. The King's Law which accords with scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself." (James 2:8).

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
And in the same letter he wrote that Christian have one obligation, love one another because it fulfills the Law of Christ.

Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; because he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. - Romans 13:8

We are not under the Law of Moses, but we have an obligation to the Law of Christ. The King's Law which accords with scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself." (James 2:8).

Of course we want to love others.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Scripture4All - Greek/Hebrew interlinear Bible software

1 Timothy 1:8 We have perceived yet that good the Law, if-ever any him lawfully/ nomimwV <3545> is using;
9 Being aware of this, that to just/righteous-one/dikaiw <1342> law not is laid-down, to unlawed/lawless-ones/anomoiV <459> yet and to disobedient to irreverant ones, and to sinners to malign ones, and to profane ones, to smiters of father and to smiters of mother, to man-murderers

:thumbsup: The just shall live by faith

Upvote 0

mwood30

Mickey
Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
✟16,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Scripture4All

If you are affiliated with Scripture4All ... let me say "Thank you." I use your ISA software all the time - probably a couple hours a day! I love reading the Bible in Koine, it's so different from the English translations. So alive. So amazing!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mwood30

Mickey
Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
✟16,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
:thumbsup: The just shall live by faith

The just shall live by pistis, a Koine Greek word that encompasses: faith, pledge and faithfulness; all in one word.

Paul used pistis as he was writing about the New Covenant. The Dead Sea Scrolls show that entrance into a covenant required three things: faith the covenant had the true meaning of the Law, pledge to follow the covenant's understanding of the Law, lifelong faithfulness to the law.

A lot of nuances got lost in the English translation "the just shall live by faith". This is why it's hard to reconcile:

1) The just shall live by faith, and
2) The doers of the Law shall be justified.
3) He who loves his neighbor fulfills the Law.

But there is no contradiction or inconsistency in:

1) The just shall live by pistis, and

They are perfectly harmonious and consistent. Jesus gave his Law. Those who believe it, pledge to it, and follow it are saved. The Just shall live by pistis.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you are affiliated with Scripture4All ... let me say "Thank you." I use your ISA software all the time - probably a couple hours a day! I love reading the Bible in Koine, it's so different from the English translations. So alive. So amazing!
:)
I have been using it for about 6 yrs. The only thing that disappoints me about it is, it went with the Wescott Hort Ms instead of the T-R or Byz-Maj. You can view the Greek texts here:

http://www.greeknewtestament.com/index.htm

But I find it usefull for the reason you stated and also for looking up where "exact" word forms of the hebrew/greek are used.

Btw, I am also using it to help translate Romans and Galatians which I have put up at the links below:
God bless :wave:
Steve

http://www.christianforums.com/t7364825-46/#post51584575
Book of Romans verse by verse study

http://www.christianforums.com/t7411599-29/#post53287227
Book of Galatian verse by verse

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The just shall live by pistis, a Koine Greek word that encompasses: faith, pledge and faithfulness; all in one word.

Paul used pistis as he was writing about the New Covenant. The Dead Sea Scrolls show that entrance into a covenant required three things: faith the covenant had the true meaning of the Law, pledge to follow the covenant's understanding of the Law, lifelong faithfulness to the law.

A lot of nuances got lost in the English translation "the just shall live by faith". This is why it's hard to reconcile:

1) The just shall live by faith, and

But there is no contradiction or inconsistency in:

1) The just shall live by pistis, and

They are perfectly harmonious and consistent. Jesus gave his Law. Those who believe it, pledge to it, and follow it are saved. The Just shall live by pistis.

I cant agree more :thumbsup:

Mat 23:45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?

1Cr 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I cant agree more :thumbsup:

Mat 23:45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?

1Cr 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
:thumbsup: :amen:

Hebrew 12:18 For ye came not near to the Mountain touched and scorched with fire, and to blackness and darkness and tempest
19 and a sound of a trumpet and a voice of sayings, which those having heard did entreat that a word might not be added to them,
[Revelation 8:8]

Reve 8:8 And the second Messenger trumpets and as-like a Mountain, great to fire burning, was cast into the Sea and became the third of the Sea blood
[Matthew 21:21/Hebrew 12:18]

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I know the "just shall live by faith" can be used 2 ways."We will not die".

Certainly the english bibles seem to use it as a way to live,a priciple.In light of verse 12.

11 Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for “The righteous shall live by faith.” 12 But the law is not of faith, rather “The one who does them shall live by them.”

And in the previous verse...we see abide.To live by this way.

NASB
For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, "CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT ABIDE BY ALL THINGS WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF THE LAW, TO PERFORM THEM."

emmeno 1696
Definition: 1) to remain in, continue
2) to persevere in anything, a state of mind etc.
3) to hold fast, to be true to, abide by, keep

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Hebrew 12:18 For ye came not near to the Mountain touched and scorched with fire, and to blackness and darkness and tempest
19 and a sound of a trumpet and a voice of sayings, which those having heard did entreat that a word might not be added to them,

Reve 8:8 And the second Messenger trumpets and as-like a Mountain, great to fire burning, was cast into the Sea and became the third of the Sea blood
Whoa! This is interesting.

2 Mountains enter, 1 Mountain leaves

Gala 4:25 For the Hagar is mount Sinai in the Arabia, together-elemental yet to the now Jerusalem slaving with the offspring of Her.

Hebrew 12:22 But ye have come-toward to mount Zion and/even to a City of God living Jerusalem heavenly, and to myriads of messengers,

Revelation 14:1 And I saw and Behold! The Lambkin standing on the mount Zion and with it hundred forty four thousands having the name of it, and the name of the father of it, having been written on of the foreheads of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hQC3nkftrk

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Mic 7:19... and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.:thumbsup:

I like this one....

Prov 20:6 Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find?

1Titus 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Psalm 25:7 Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness' sake, O LORD.

Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Law and the Christian Pt. 1
I. The Meaning of the term “Law”

From an Old Testament perspective, William Gulbrod gives the following definition of the Hebrew “Law”:

“The Laws are in the strictest sense, the requirements of the God to whom Israel belongs because he has revealed himself in the exodus from Egypt and because in all future wars He will show Himself to be the God of His people. Thus the motive for keeping the law is simply that of obedience in so far as there is any conscious reflection on the question of motivation.”[1]

Arthur W. Pink defines the “Law” thusly:

“The law was given to Israel not that they might be redeemed, but because they had been redeemed. The notion had been brought out of Egypt by the power of God under the blood of the slain lamb, itself the symbol and token of His grace. The Law added at Sinai as the necessary standard life for a ransomed people, a people now belonged to the Lord…The Law was given that they now stood to God, of a salvation which was already theirs. The covenant of the Law did not supersede the covenant of promise, but set forth the kind of life which those who were redeemed by the covenant of promise were expected to live.”[2]

Then we can say that the “Law” are divine commandments, statements, principles of ethics given by God as contained in the first five books of the Christian Bible most commonly known as the “Law of Moses: as found in the Pentateuch or the Torah.

So as far as the Old Testament is concerned, it may be said that the law was a statement of principles of ethics that defined two things: a.) Mans relationship to their redeemer, and: b.) Man’s relationship to his fellow man.

A. The Law in the Old Testament

(1) The Law in the Ancient Israel

A word of note before discussion in this area begins. In researching this subject one could not avoid articles and theories put forth from the early part of the twentieth century called the “J, E, P, and D”.[3] Even though these theories have been largely disproved, in some respects, it does shed some light on the law from another perspective. Although these theories are not being advocated, some aspects will be included just for discussions sake.

Two other considerations should be taken into account also when looking at the Law within the Old Testament are the locus and the theological setting. So far as this discussion is concerned, since the locus, the actual giving of the Law did not happen until Sinai, we shall only be addressing the Law from that point onwards only.

Even though the Law was handed down from God to Moses, Moses is often referred to as the author which can be seen in the numerous references in the scriptures to the “Law of Moses.” However:

“The historical locality of these laws was either in the act of reading the laws regularly that took place inside the sanctuary, or perhaps in the act of worshipping that took place in the sanctuary near the Ark where the Laws of the covenant were kept.”[4]

What we have said about the probable locus of these laws corresponds to, and is illuminated by, the theological setting of these laws in Israel’s belief in God. The laws have their place in the doctrine of the covenant. Yahweh has chosen Israel as His people, and Israel has acknowledged Yahweh as its God. This fundamental Old Testament principle is the direct basis of these laws. They express the claim of Yahweh to dominion over the whole life of these people which belongs to Him in virtue of His election. The first commandment of the Decalogue expresses this with full clarity.

And the doctrine of election can be seen in the Law beginning with Ex. 20:2. Even though it wasn’t developed until later as a theological feature, nevertheless, it is God who said:

“I am Jehovah your God, who has brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.”

In this verse, God says “your” and “you”. This is of particular interest because here God is addressing Israel/the Hebrews exclusively. Thus, the Laws are in the strictest sense the requirements of the God to Israel of whom they belong. Therefore the motive for keeping the Law is simply that the obedience in so far as there is any conscious reflection on the question of motivation.

The nature of the Law is in keeping with this in that:

A. Its demands are unconditional.

This may be seen in the style of the series of Laws, in their harsh severity, in their uncompromising formulation which weighs the act as such and not the background or special circumstances.

B. The form of the commands (or prohibitions) is negative.

Here is fresh confirmation that the theological setting of this Law is the covenant of election. For there is not commanded what establishes the relation to Yahweh, but prohibited what destroyed it.

C. This does not exclude the persuasive aspect of the commandments.

This may be seen in the way in which the proclamation of the Law seeks to make an impression on the will of the hearer and to make transgression inwardly impossible by a recollection of Yahweh’s acts. For this reason, there is reference to punishment for violation but not any special reward for fulfillment.

D. Moreover, for all its brevity, this Law is comprehensive.

Not merely the cultus but the whole of life stands under this law. The claim of this God to dominion leaves no neutral zone.

E. Finally, it belongs to the very essence of these laws that they should be addressed to all Israel.

Here, the individual is treated as a member of the people, and the neighbor to whom the Law refers is a compatriot. Similarly, punishment in cases of infringement is a matter for the whole body. Stoning as the prescribed mode of execution allows all to participate, (cf. Deut. 13:9) and when a murder is not cleared up the nearest community is under obligation to make atonement. (Deut. 21:1)

All this already indicates the aim of the Law. It is designed to bind the people and the individual to God. Hence the commandment “Thou shalt have no other God’s before me.” Therefore, the Law seeks to regulate the relationship of the covenant people and the individual to the covenant God, to regulate it on the basis of the election of this people by this God, and by the avoidance of things which might disrupt the relationship.

B. An Understanding of the Law in the older historical books.

A word before preceding. As stated previously, the following sections will deal with the Law from the perspective of the “J, E, D, and P” theory, or as it has became known, the “Documentary Hypothesis” theory.

The documentary hypothesis proposes that the first five books of the O.T. represent a combination of documents from originally independent sources. According to the version formulated by Julius Wellhousen (1844-1918), there were four main sources:
  • The “J”, or Jahwist, (Yahweh) written around 950 BC in the Southern Kingdom of Judah.
  • The “E”, or Elohist, written around 850 BC in the Northern Kingdom of Israel.
  • The “D”, or Deuteronomist, written around 621 BC in Jerusalem during a period of religious reform.
  • The “P”, or Priestly, written around 450 BC by Aaronic Priests.
While the documentary hypothesis theories has been largely discredited, for the first half of the twentieth century, it greatly influenced views regarding the Torah. This may be seen in Arthur W. Pink’s discourse on the Law referring to God’s names and their relationship to mankind.[5] For Pink, he understood this to mean “God” the creational title, referred to all mankind, while “Lord” refers to those under a coventual relationship, i.e.: Israel. Thus, when the 10 commandments use “God” this proves that the Decalogue is binding on all mankind.
As to the understanding of the Law expressed in the ancient corpora corresponds to the interrelation of Israel’s history in the J and E source, more particularly as it regards the position here assigned to the Law. Though J and E end only with the fulfillment of the promise that Israel should posses the land of Palestine,[6] the climax of both is the giving of the Law.

The history of the gracious dealings of God with a people which is often refractory reaches its climax in the fact that Yahweh reveals Himself to the whole people, constituting himself its God and the people his people, (cf. Ex. 19). This gives the Law its significance as the divine gift which will show the people what conduct accords with its position as God’s own people, or, what conduct undermines it. The Law is thus a demonstration of grace inasmuch as it shows peoples lives before God because it lives by Him. Because “the redeeming God gives the Law…obedience is made a proof of faith”.[7]

All Law is the will of God. It rests on the fact that in history God has given Himself to be the God of His people, and would see them live as His possession. Since the relation of Yahweh to His people is historical, this understanding of the Law is in no way contradicted if the Law itself arises in the course of history. It is still the Law of God. This finds expression in the fact that all valid law is linked with the revelation of God at Sinai. Hence, this is more of a theological than a historical judgment.

C. The Attitude of the Prophets towards the Law.

Prophetic preaching rests on a new encounter with God and on the breaking of this divine reality into the pious, yet ungodly activities of the people. Beginning in the major prophets, we see that it is related is not a new idea of God, but what can only be described as a new encounter with God and thus forms the basis and is the essence of all prophetic preaching. And in doing so, we are able to understand the attitude of the prophets in regards to the Law. By the preaching style of the prophets we see the attitude that they are not like Moses, telling them what God requires for the first time. No, rather, we then in their preaching repentance that they (the prophets) are presupposing that they themselves have already been told what is good, and what the Lord their God requires of them.(cf. Mi. 6:8) The prophets often present God’s divine will in new ways, and bring out new features. And in doing so we also see that the prophets have not, and do not, arouse a sense of posing any unknown demands.

D. The Deuteronomic understanding of the Law.

Deuteronomy contains a definite view of the Law of Yahweh which in the original form of the book is constantly worked out on the basis and development of ancient legal material. A distinctive feature of the “D” is the view of the urgency with which the requirement is grounded in the act where God made Israel His people.

Another viewpoint from the “D” is that it places a heavy emphasis that both the religious and national existence of Israel, is founded simply and solely in the covenant of God sworn to the fathers. (4:32; 7:8, 12; 9:15; etc.) Thus, one of the main tasks of the Law was to safeguard the one link between Israel and their God. This also helps explain the constant battle in the Law against “other gods” and the fight for the one sanctuary of the one God. (13:7) Another distinctive feature of Deuteronomy is the earnestness with which it seeks to impart the blessing of having a relationship with God to the individual within the people. Deuteronomy also shows how the destiny of the individual is closely linked with that of the people. There is also a strong emphasis now laid in Deuteronomy to the just attainment of duties and especially the rights to all members of God’s people, and in doing so, Deuteronomy provides that none would be deprived of God’s blessings in this life.

In light of these general characteristics, we may now understand the special features of the Deuteronomic Law in detail.

a. In Deut., proclamation of the Law is preaching. It is not a neutral enumeration of legal norms. It is an exhortation,[8] which seeks to exchange cheerful fulfillment in gratitude for God’s action, thus inward love of God must be the root of all concrete action.

b. The Deuteronomic Law seeks to encompass every aspect of life, though its main interest is in ethical boundaries rather than ritual.[9] While its comprehensive, it does not attempt a casuistic regulation of everyday life, it simply indicates the general direction. This is implied in the relative lack of concern for absolute correctness in the cultic legislation.

c. Another central interest in Deuteronomy is the relation to the neighbor, especially the compatriot. The starting point is the right ordering of God’s people, not humanity. The neighbor is no mere object of the law for fulfillment, he is truly present as a brother, therefore the obligation to the neighbor is that of love, not individual commandments. Hence, the Law is repeatedly summed up in the law of love. (cf. 6:5; 7:9; 10:12)

d. In spite of all this, Deuteronomy also seeks to maintain the distance between God and man. Neither does it do this merely in the general sense that one partner in this covenant is absolutely superior to the other even though this is true. But this is done concretely by contesting, especially in cultic regulation, a sub-moral motive worship. Even the centralization is not an upsurgance of magical ideas, It is a restriction of the cultus to the place which God has commanded, and which is holy only for this reason, not intrinsically. The aim of the law, then, is a fashioning of the people as God’s people and its commitment to God alone - and of these rest on the basis of the historical election of this people by this God.

This being so, it is only natural that God’s blessings are a sort of checks-and-balances. Blessings should be promised for observance of the Law, just as the curse for despising the Law consists in the withdrawal of this blessings.

This is perhaps the most profound attempt to understand the O.T. covenant and to shape life in accordance with it. However, it is criticism of this that the O.T. attains to its deepest insight into the nature of the Law.
Such criticism can be seen most probably in Jer. 31:37. To assume this, one must presuppose Jeremiah was in sympathy with the Deuteronomic reforms and it goals. But Jeremiah finds the weak point of this attempt in the fact of sin which breaks the undisputed relation between God and His people and also which does not allow it restoration by any Law. Only in the act of God which creates the whole man anew by putting the Law in his heart, only a new covenant of God can guarantee the time of salvation. Thus Jeremiah points to something which is outside the O.T. revelation, and finds fulfillment in the N.T.

E. The Understanding of the Law according to the “Priestly Writings and Related Works.

In typical distinction from “D”, “P” does not attempt to influence the reader pedagogically after the manner of the preacher. He presents his material austerely and sternly, which a dignity which almost repels.” This is no mere stylistic difference. It is connected with a different view of God. In “P” to a far greater extent than in “D” the transcendent holiness and absolute supraterrestriality of God are the basis for all theological thinking.
Even the distinctive view of the people which is to be found in “D” does not have the same normativeness in “P”. “P” is not dealing merely with Israel, though the special position of Israel is central, “P” takes much greater account of the world outside Israel. Yahweh’s relation to Israel is viewed not so much from the stand of loving election as from that of the establishment of divine order with a view to salvation. It is precisely here that the Law finds in “P” its theological setting and purpose. The Law protects the purity of divine revelation by safeguarding God’s supremacy and transcendence. The more significant is it, that “P” purports to be a historical presentation, not with edificatory or aesthetic intent, but with the aim of demonstrating the validity and binding character of the religious constitution of Israel, and indeed of the world, in God’s action and therewith in God’s revelation. In doing so, “P” underscores the fact the transcendent and holy God is not impersonal power, but personal will.

F. The Law in the Post-Exilic Period.

The exile brought a major development in the attitude of Israel towards the Law, and consequently in the understanding of the Law. The threat of the prophets had been carried out, Israel had come under the judgment of Yahweh because of disobedience to Him. After the return its decisive concern was to do His will. Israel had to obey God’s Law to live. The exile had made this plain.

Observing the Law does not create the relation to God; it keeps people in this continuing relation. (cf. 2 Chr. 33:8) In fact, however, the emphasis and concern rest increasingly on the second aspect, so that everything depends on observing the Law. The transition to the latter view of the Law, whereby observance establishes the relation to God, is fluid. The Law takes on increasingly independent significance. It comes to have primary importance as regards the relation to God. Praise of God’s deeds in relation to the fathers is increasingly accompanied by independent praise of the Law (cf. Psa. 19) as the means which God has given the people to keep itself in His grace.

a. The historical presentation according to Deuteronomy and Chronicles is an important stage in the progress of the Law towards a key position in the religious world of Judaism. This presentation presupposes a legal norm. Saul is rejected because he violates the commandment of God. All Israel’s kings are judged according to the Law. The Davidic kingship is guaranteed by God’s promise, but concretely it depends on observance of the Law (cf. 2 Chr. 27 f.) The sin of David and the fall of Solomon are not mentioned in Chronicles. Nevertheless, this presentation of history does not bring home to the people the fact that its continued life is bound up with observance of the Law. The prophets themselves are commandeered for the Law and made its guardians and heralds (cf. 2 Kgs. 17:13).

b. The mounting significance of the Law is seen in the fact that the Law becomes increasingly the basis of the whole life of the community.[10] This is the point and purpose of the work of Ezra (Ezr. 9 f.). But this is also the starting point for a logical development which will only come later. Bound to the Law, the people of Israel becomes a religious community centered in the keeping of the Law. Keeping the Law is the badge of membership of this people. This is naturally of decisive importance in the problem of proselytizing just as proselytizing obviously contributes to this inner development.

c. There is a change in the cultus too. That worship should be according to the Law becomes overwhelmingly important that finally it is understood solely, or at least primarily, as a fulfillment of the Law, and it finds not merely its justification but its whole point and purpose as such. This is why Judaism could later survive the loss of the temple without any serious weakening of religious structure.

d. Finally, the new position of the Law may be seen in the fact that a new class, I.e.: that of the scribes, takes over religious leadership of the people (Ezr. 7:10). Which is interesting in that Ezra himself was a scribe (Ezr. 7:6). If the priest had previously administered the Torah, the study of the Law now become an independent task separable from the priesthood. In the high estimation of the scribes there is expressed the will of the community to recognize only the authority of the Law, to which all must bow, including the priest.
This is enough to show how dangerous was this whole development, whose indubitable greatness lies in the fact that to a great extent, it did create a readiness for unconditional subjection to God’s judgment and Law.

Continued...

[1] W. Golbrod, The Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, Gerhard Kittel, Editor, Geoffrey W. Bromiley, Translator, Erdmans Publishing, Grand Rapids, Mi., Copyright 1964.

[2] Arthur W. Pink, The Law and the Spirit, [article on-line] accessed 11/18/2007, found on the world wide web at http://www.thehighway.com/Law_Pink.html.

[3] J, E, P, and D refers to the theory called Jehovah, Eloheim, Priestly, and Deuteronomic Laws.

[4] P. Volz., mose und sein Werd, 1932, 100ff., and Die Religion in Geshichte, 1909ff., 1927ff.

[5] Arthur W. Pink, The Law and the Saint, “God” is the creational title (see Gen. 1:1). Lord is God’s in covenantal relationship. Ibid.

[6] H. Holzinger, Eintertung in d. Hexateuch, 1893, 71ff.

[7] A. Schlatter, Einlertung in d. Bibel, 1923, 15ff.

[8] H. Breit, Die Predight des Deuteronomister, 1933, p.228

[9] S.V. Rad draws attention to the fact that ethical interest in the situation of the Levites is stronger than in the machinery of the cultus in Jerusalem.

[10] E. Wurthwein, Der am-ha-arey im AT, 1936, p.66

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Law and the Christian Pt. 2
II. The Law in the New Testament

A. Development of “nomoV” in the Greek Language.

“nomoV” as it was developed in Greek language, was originally meant as “to allot” and then developed into the sense of “what is proper,” and “what is assigned to someone.” This line of thought was nurtured along in the writings of Plato and Aristotle. In ancient times, it also had a wide range of meanings which included any kind of existing or accepted norms, customs, order, usage, or even tradition.

The concept is religious in origin and plays a main role in the cultus. The connection between “nomoV” and the veneration of the gods finds linguistic expression in the fixed phrase: “nouizein qeouV”,[1] I.e.: to honor the gods, according to the cultic usage of the polis, by participation in (natural) worship.[2]

As politics and the political order started to develop in Greece, the word came into specialized use especially in the judicial realm. Through many Greek philosophers “nomoV” became more and more specialized. Whereas, Hereclitus, Aeschines, Pindar, and Sophocles, no distinction is made between political and absolute law.[3]
According to both Aristotle and Andocides, “nomoV” ay or around the end of the fifth century BC, became to be used in the special sense of a “written law” and “a fixed expression of legal order and the natural constitution in a democratic polis.[4] And sometime between 348 and 328 BC, Plato began to associate “nomoV” with “qeoV”. (cf. Plato, Epistule, VIII, 345e, as transcribed in Tragicorum Gracorum Fragmenta fragment by A Nauck, 1889, adesp. 471)

b. “nomoV” in Hellenism

a. This philosophical theory became a historical reality bin Hellenism. Here “nomoV” no longer rules as king in the polis (See any of the writings of this period, I.e.: Philo, Plato, etc).

b. In Stoicism, which regards law as a basis concept, the history developed “politikoV nomoV” of the classical period is replaced by cosmic and universal law. The term “nomoV” no longer applies with any strictness to state laws.[5]As cosmology and nature began to be studied, the influence of the cosmos began to be developed to the view of both an eternal law[6] and in God.[7]

The individual of the Hellenistic world can now seek and find the one true and divine “nomoV” only in the cosmos.[8] Adjustment is made to popular religion by giving the mane of Zeus to this cosmic “nomoV” (o nomoV o koinoV, osper estin o orqoV logoV, dia pantwn ercomenoV, o autoV wn tw Dii kaqhgemoni
toutw thV twn ontwn dioikhsewV onti)[9]

C. The Law in Judaism

a. The Law in the Pseudepigrapha and Apocrypha

Though the Apocrypha and the Pseudepigrapha writings do not form a material or linguistic unity, they are firmly connected in respect of the Law. In all of them the Law is the basis. (Bousset-Gresson., 119ff.) One part of these works is specifically devoted to the Law, seeking to apply, defend, and commend it. Even in the works which have other concerns (especially the apocalypses), the Law is of decisive significance.

1. Linguistically the absolute “o nomoV” is largely dominate not merely in Pal. Works like 1 Macc., where “nomoV” is almost absolute and in the singular, but also typically Hellenistic books like Ep. Ar. (39; 122;309) But “nomoV” can also be used without the article with no discernable distinction of meaning. “exeklinan ek nomou qeou” (they have turned away from the Law of God) in Bar. 4:12 simply means they have gone astray from the Torah of God.[10] See also 1 Macc. 4:42 and especially Sirach, e.g.; 19:20, 24; 21:11; etc.

2. In the material understanding of the Law one may see the same duality as in the usage. The position reached in the Post-Exilic period is maintained with some sharpening of the contours, partly through inner development and partly through historical events. Yet new features also arise under intellectual influences from without.

b. Josephus

1. In Josephus, “nomoV” is normally used to denote the Jewish religious Law. “oi nomoV” is more common in view of the concern of Josephus to speak good Greek and to make himself intelligible to the Hellenistically educated readers. “nomoV” and “oi nomoV” can often be used poetically as the subject of activities. The Laws sigh, Bell., 3:356. They command, Ant. 16, 3. There can, be no question of personification. “nomoV” without the article is rare for the divine Law.[11] In other cases “nomoV” is the book or the Pentateuch: “enqa twn otraiwtwn tiV eurwn en tini kwmh tun ieron nomon dierrhxen te tobiblion”[12] “labwn eiV ceiraV touV MwusewV”[13] Josephus distinguishes between “nomoV” (the Pentateuch) and the other writings, Ap. 1, 39.

2. The material understanding of Josephus gives evidence of the same intermediary position as his usage. In all essentials his thought is Jewish, but he keeps firmly in view the needs of readers of non-Jewish culture. The Law has for Josephus, a dominate position in religion.[14]He admires those who set the Law above all else.[15] The Law controls all life.[16] Customs are part of the Law.[17] This shows his orientation to Pharisaism. The circumcision demanded by the Law, implies incorporation into the Jewish world.[18] This also means that mans relationship with God is established by the Law. For this reason, Josephus is no mystic.
On the one side, Josephus’ understanding of the Law gives evidence of an essential material basis in Jewish and Pharisaic thought. But on the other hand, there is a strong and primarily apologetic orientation to the rationalistic and moralistic world of Hellenistic culture.

c. Philo of Alexandria

1. As regards usage there is no essential difference between Philo and Josephus. “o nomoV”or “nomoV” is usually the Torah of the Palestinians.

More broadly than Josephus, Philo uses “nomoV” for the order and law of nature: “o thV jusewV nomoV”.[19] He does this in a twofold (though often barely distinguishable) sense: 1) for order it is: “nomoV jusewV anepilhptoV” that what has come into being should be of lower rank than its author;[20] and 2) for obedience: Laban does not observe “tomV alhweiV thV jusewV nomouV”.[21]

2. It is hardly possible to give a uniform material exposition of Philo’s statements about the Law or his understanding of it, for neither the Law or legal religion is the true center of his spiritual life. His basic theological philosophical position is that of mystical ecstatic. For him, the highest stage of religion is the vision which is also unity with the Godhead, the solitary sojourn in the supraterrrestrial world of wisdom.[22] In relation to this central point the Law can have only a broken position; indeed, in the last resort it ought to be abandoned. But Philo cannot do this, and above all he will not. He prefers to cling to the unique authority of the divine Law, for he is and remains a Jew.[23]

D. The Law in Rabbinic Judaism

Materially, the Rabbinic understanding of the Torah may be summed up in two inwardly related principles: 1) God has revealed Himself once and for all and exclusively in the Torah; 2) Man has his relationship with God only in his relationship with the Torah. Thus the basic starting point of the O.T., which can be summed up in the preposition that God has revealed Himself to Israel as its God, and hence, Israel is bound to obey this God, is characteristically and decisively changed and annulled. Theostically the two principles remain in force, but for all practical purposes the Torah comes fully to the forefront, primarily as the Law which claims the will of man.

a. The central and dominate position of the Torah as the Law contained in the Pentateuch may be seen already in the relation of dependence in which all other authoritative writings stand to the Torah. The other O.T. writings fundamentally contain nothing other than the Pentateuch. There must be at least an indication of everything in it. Thus Qoh., is not withdrawn from use “because it begins with the words Torah and ends with the words of the Torah. (bSlab., 30b) These works are valid because they are Sinaitie (TDNT, Vol. V, p. 1056) though they are only formulated later. This part of the O.T is only an explanation and application of the Law which in and of itself is not unconditionally necessary. “If Israel had not sinned, only the five parts of the Torah and the book of Joshua would have been given to it.”[24] Basically, the relation between writer and oral Torah is the same. Agreement with the Torah is a presupposition of the latter. This was tacit at first, but from the time of Jochana ben Zakkai the traditional material was given a basis in the Torah according to specific exegetical methods. In reality, the theory that traditional material has its origin in exegesis of the Torah is, of course, artificial. The validity of this material is dogmatic rather than historical.

b. The authoritative character of the Law is supported by a strict view of the divine origin of the Pentateuch:
“Even if a man should say that the whole Torah is from heaven with the exception of this verse, which Moses spoke from his own lips rather than God, it is true of this man that he has despised the Word of Yahweh.”[25]

This is the place for the distinctive affirmation that every valid doctrine, every recognized Rabbinic statement, every acknowledged exegetical conclusion, was revealed to Moses at Sinai. This thesis owes its origin to a concern for the comprehensive divinity, and hence also the uniqueness and unity, of the Sinai revelation. It is a judgment of faith rather than a historical theory; hence it is not uniformly followed.

c. Rooted in this divine authority of the Law is the reserve which the Rabbis -increasingly- display respect of the question or reasons behind the Torah.

“By your life neither the dead pollutes nor does water purify, but it is a statue of the Most High the reasons for which one should seek out,”[26]

In practice it is one of the favorite proofs of perspicacity and tool of edification to find reasons for the commandments. But this does not rest on any essential concern, least of all apologetic.

d. The strict and logical development of the authoritative character of the Torah is carried to such a degree that God Himself is bound to it:

“The first three Laws of the day God sits and occupies Himself with the Torah.”[27]

Naturally, this should not be pressed dogmatically. It is more or less poetic mode of expression. But it is a typical sign of the all-dominate position of the Torah, in which God has wholly and utterly bound Himself.

e. All other relations between God on the one side, man, Israel, and the world on the other, are subject to the Torah. The Torah is “the tool by which the world was made”.[28] At creation, God took council with the Torah; it is the master builder of every work. Indeed, the worldly man, and Israel is created simply for the sake of the Torah. History, too, is consistently brought under the scheme of the Law, its transgression or observance. Thus the Law holds a key position in the whole religious life of Rabbinic Judaism.

f. For this reason the Torah has decisive power in the interrelations of men with one another. Israel and the Gentiles are essentially differentiated by possession or non-possession of the Torah. But individuals within Israel are also differentiated by their knowledge of the Torah and their position towards it. This is why the scribe comes to occupy so important a position in community life. Even if a man learns scripture and the Mishnah but does not serve with a wise man (as a pupil) he is regarded as “am ha arez”. He who has learned scripture without Mishnah is regarded as bor. But he who has learned neither scripture or Mishnah comes under, e.g. Prov. 24:20.[29]

g. The aim of the Torah is to show man what he should do and not do in order that, obedient to the Torah, he may have God’s approval, righteousness, life, and a share in the future world of God. “Why has God given us the commandments? Is it not that we may do them and receive a reward?”[30]

“God has willed to allow Israel to earn merits, and therefore He gave them much Torah and commandments, as it is said: ‘In order to give Israel merits, it pleased Yahweh to make the Torah big and strong.”[31] (so Isa. 42:41 according to the Midr.)

This subjection to the Torah can also be seen from the angle that it implies for all the danger of death and condemnation. As the Torah turned to the hurt of the Gentiles because they did not learn it as they could and should have done, (bSota, 35b) so in Israel there are Rabbinic voices which express alarm at the difficulty of perfect obedience.

“When Gamaliel read this verse, (Ezr. 18:9) he wept and said: ‘He who observes all this righteousness, but not, alas!’ He who observes only one part is enough, but Akiba then said to him: ‘on the authority of Lev. 18:24a, that on part is enough”[32]

h. The fact that there is life only by keeping the Torah gives special interest to the development of the Law as casuistiy. The Law and its development and practice gave the Jew his distinctive religious position. But this does not have to mean that true fulfillment of the Law is construed in terms of a casuistically observance of individual commandments and prohibitions, predominate though this may be.[33]

Alongside this, we find sayings which maintain that the piety of the heart and fear of God are the essential prerequisite of study (bYoma., 72b). “All that you do, do only out of love,” S.Dt., 41 on 11:3.

“A man who has knowledge of the Law without fear of God is like a treasurer to whom are entrusted the inner keys but not the outer keys of the house (of the house); how is he to enter?”[34]

Nevertheless, this does not alter the fact that a man achieves righteousness and life by study and observance of the Torah.

The whole Rabbinic understanding of the Law is denoted by a term which is also in most instances the equivalent of the NT term “nomoV”.

1. The use of (Law, Hebrew equivalent) in the Rabbinic writings is basically the same as that of the end of the OT epoch, though there are some distinctive developments.

The Torah is primarily the Mosaic Law as Law. This is the basis of all other meanings of the Hebrew word in the Rabbinic writings. Thus “law” can be used for the Decalogue, but the Decalogue is not in any sense exclusive since the Torah.

Along with the use of Torah for the Law of Moses, we often find the word in the sense of the O.T. canon which contains the Law, I.e.; the Pentateuch. In most cases, it is hard to distinguish between Torah as the Law, and Torah as the Pentateuch.

Continued...

[1] Hdt., 1, 131, 4, 59; Aristoph., Nu., 329, 423

[2] So also in the charge against Socrates: adikei SwkrathV ouV men h poliV vomizei qeouV, Xenoph. Mem., I, 1, 1f. Only in Plat. Apol., 26cff does “nomizein” come to have the intellectual sense “to acknowledge,” “to believe.” (cf. Aristoph., Nu., 819, Eur. Suppl. 732) Cf. A Menzel, Hellankia, (1938), 17f.; J. Taye, Class. Rev., 51 (1937), 3ff.

[3] Hereclitus, Fr., 114 [I, 176, 5 ff., Deils] Cleschines, of Eleusis, (390-314 BC) Prometheus Vinctus; 150 f.; Pindar, of Cynoscephalae, near Phebes, Pindar, Fr., 169; Sophocles, Oedipus Tyrannus, 865.

[4] Aristot. Resp. Ath., 7,1; Andoc. Myst., 83; (cf. The Constitution of Dragontides, J.A.R. Munro, The Classic Quarterly, Vol. 32, No. 3-4, Jul.-Oct., 1938, pp.152)

[5] The “nomoV” of the polis is now simply a comparison. What law is in the state, God is for the world. Cf. Aristotle, Mund., 6, p.400ff. (cf. Epict., Diss., I, 12, 7, etc.)

[6] Muson, p.37, 2ff.; Archytas Pyth. In Stab. In Ecl., IV, 1, 135 [p.82, 20f, Hence]

[7] Chrysipp., Fr., II, 315, 23, v. Armin (“nomoV men gar huin isoklinhV o qeoV,” Ps.-Aristol. Mund., 6, p.400, 28ff.

[8] cf. Plut. De Exilio, 5, [II, 601b]

[9] Zeno Fr. 162 [I, 43, v. Arnim.=Diog.. L., 7, 887]

[10] There can be no question here of a qualitative sense of the use without the article. (Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, Vol. V, p. 1070, 15f)

[11] A Schlatter, Theol. d. Judt., 64

[12] Bell., 2, 229.

[13] Vit., 134

[14] P. Kruger, Philo u, Josephus, als Apologeten des Judith, 1906, p.20

[15] Ant. 11, 152

[16] Ap., 2, 173. Ant. 3, 94

[17] Ant. 12, 324; cf. 20, 218; 13, 297

[18] Ant. 13, 257f.

[19] Abr. 135

[20] Plant. 132

[21] Ebr. 47

[22] Spec., Leg., 3, 1

[23] A. Schurer, III, 700, Another reason why there is no uniformity in Philo is that he draws from different sources.

[24] b Ned., 22b

[25] bSanh. 99a

[26] Jochana ben Zakkai, Pesikt., 40a

[27] Ibid, bAZ, 3b

[28] Ibid, Ab., 3,14; S. Dt., 48 on 11:22

[29] Ibid, bSota, 22a.

[30] Ibid, S. Nu. 115, on 15:41

[31] Rabbi Chananiah ben Akashiah

[32] Jochana ben Zakkai, bSanh., 81a

[33] One occasionally finds among the Rabbis a sum of the Law in one or two central commandments, but this summarizing, like the distinction between light and heavy commandments (cf. Wohlgemuth, 13f.), is of no fundamental importance. In bShab., 31a, it is recounted that a Gentile asked Hillel whether he could tell him the Law while he stood on one foot, and Hillel answered: “What you would not have done to you, do not to your neighbor. This is the whole Torah. All else is exposition. Go and learn it. David reduced it to 11 (commandments), Isaiah to 6...Micah to 3...Amos to one…Habakkuk to 1...Mak., 23b, 24a.” But fundamentally each commandment is just as valid as any other, and such statements are more playful and edifying them of serious significance.

[34] Rabba b. R. Hona

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Law and the Christian Pt. 3
E. Jesus and the Law in the Synoptic Gospels

1.The Occurrence of the word “nomoV”

To understand materially the attitude of Jesus to the Law one has to take into account stories in which the word “nomoV” does not occur. Adolph von Harnack raises this question well and points out that:

“it is doubtful in many instances whether the term is part of the original saying or statement, e.g.: cf. Mt. 7:12 with Lk. 6:31.”[1]

In the few verses where “nomoV” is found, it is simple except in the case of Lk. 2:23. Rather than having the article, it is followed up as “nomoV kurioV”. (the law of the Lord) normally, “nomoV” means the Pentateuch. In the scriptures we find “o nomoV kai oi projhtai” (Mt. 5:17; 7:12; 11:13; 22:40; Lk. 16:16; 24:44(also yalmoi)). The twofold meaning signifies both the “Law” and the Pentateuch or scripture. Predominate is the sense of the Law as that which governs what we should and should not do.

In Mt. 22:36, when Jesus is asked: “poia entolh megalh en tw nmow” (which command (is) great in the Law) the meaning is not which is the greatest command in the Pentateuch, but what kind of commandment is important within the total context of the Law.[2]

Mt 5:17-18 presents an interesting contrast. In vs. 17, Jesus says: “iwta en h uia keraia ou mh parelqh apo tou nomou,” and in vs. 18 He says: “uia twn entolwn toutwn twn elacistwn.” Context here dictates that because the Law is mentioned alongside the prophets, the “nomoV” here is speaking of the whole of O.T. scriptures in particular those speaking of Him. And the “nomoV” of verse 18 is a reference to the Pentateuch because of the “iwta” and “keraia”. Heaven and earth shall not pass until the law down to the smallest point has been fulfilled. And again, in Mt. 12:5, based on the context, “nmow” here is an obvious reference to the Law, Pentateuch, I.e.: the Law of Moses.

2. Jesus’ Negation of the Law

The essential and basic negation of the Law in Jesus consists in the fact He disposes it from its position of mediation. In other words, what determines mans position to God is no longer the Law and mans relation to it. The decisive factor now is no longer the Law, it is now occupied by the Word of Jesus, even Jesus Himself. Man now finds his relation to God in his relation to Jesus. Several classic examples are found scattered thougout the Synoptics.

To illustrate this point, look at Mt. 21:28-32. A father has two sons, he says to one, go work in my vineyards. The son says no, but later repented and went. The second said yes and went not. Which of the two did the will of the father? According to the context here, what separates man from God is not transgression and negation of the Law. (21:28) In the latter part of verse 31, the reference here is not to the cleavage between word and act, but to the difference between actual refusal of the Law and the new event of conversion and doing the will of God. But that this hopeless situation can be remedied. This is seen in verse 31: “oi telwnai kai ai inappropriate contentai proagousin umaV eiV thn basileian tou qeou.” (tax-collectors and harlots go before you into the kingdom of God) The point being that tax-collectors and harlots would enter heaven because they would sooner come to repentance than those who would be justified by supposedly living according to the law which Jesus eventually accused them of “making a pretense.” (Mt. 23:14)

This is further illustrated in the parable of the prodigal son. In the parable, one son leaves and one stays at home. The one who stayed obeyed his father, done all that was asked, but, he did not profit by staying home. By this we mean it is not in his relation to the Law, whether in a constant fulfillment which is not disputed or in flagrant transgression which is not condoned, that the righteous or the sinner find his definitive relation to God . If the sinner is received into pardoning fellowship with Jesus, he is at home in his fathers home. And this fact puts the man who is legally righteous the challenge whether he is building on his obedience to the commandments as hard-earned merit - this seems to be suggested by the grumbling when the prodigal returns - or whether he regards his perseverance in obedience as a joyous being at home in the fathers house. This leads us, however, that in both cases the Law is disposed from its position of mediation. The relation to the word and deed of Jesus now decides ones relation to God.

In essence, the same point is made in the sayings in Mt. 10:32. Confession or denial of Jesus decides the eternal destiny of man. Similarly, the parables collected in Mk. 2 are possible only if the Law no linger plays a decisive role between God and man, and conduct either in accordance with or opposition to the Law no longer justifies or condemns a man definitively before God.

“What Jesus did was grounded in the fact that He determined mans relation to God, not according to the Law, but in the power of His mission.”[3]

The blessing of the children in Mk. 10:13, the beatitudes in Mt. 5:3; and the saying in Mt. 11:28, all point in the same direction. Jesus pronounces these words precisely to those who are so burdened under the Law that they no longer have any “anapausiV” (rest). On the publican who falls down in repentance before God, and counts on God’s grace alone, the sentence is passed: “katebh outoV dedikaiwmenoV eiV ton oikon autou par ekeinon” (this one went to his house having been justified rather than that one. Lk. 18:4), rather than on the man who can boast of his observance of the Law. (cf. also Lk. 17:7) The scribes and Pharisees close the kingdom of God (Mt. 23:13) because they will allow men to enter by fulfillment of the Law which they themselves administer.

So that we are left with this conclusion, Jesus then, bases the relation of men to God on their relation to Himself and the Lordship of God, which comes in Him. His specific invitation as the one who pardons is to sinners. This means that He firmly negates the righteousness of the Law. The Law is now forced out of its key position by the person of Jesus Himself.

3. Jesus’ Affirmation of the Law

In terms of this new position and its implied negation of the Law, however, Jesus also affirms the Law when rightly understood. Even though the Law is disposed as mediator, it is not a repudiation of the Law. We see this:

a. Jesus recognizes the Law when He acts as the One who forgives sins; and calls sinners and publicans to fellowship with Himself (Lk. 15). A plain judgment is pronounced; He is dealing wit the sick (Mk. 2:17), the lost, the victims of death (Lk. 15:3ff.; 24:32). Thus Jesus validates the Law by the judgment implied in His pardon.

b. Moreover, all incidents addressed show that Jesus is not seeking to overturn the Law when He will not make it the basis of the relation to God. (cf. Mt. 21:28 ff.)

c. Hence, it is not surprising that according to the Synoptic account Jesus Himself keeps the Law.

d. Jesus recognizes the Law to be God’s good will not only for Himself, but also for others, To the question of right conduct he gives the answer: “taV entolaV oidaV” (the commandments you know, Mk. 10:19) He does not accept as good any other will than the will of God revealed in the Law. Apart from this He does not champion any other goodness (Mk. 10:18; cf. also Lk. 10:25 ff.) The Law demands self-denying love for God and neighbor.

e. There is confirmation of the Law, but along with this there is criticism, and in reality this criticism only serves to confirm and establish in the Law, not destroy it. To explain this paradox, the first point is Jesus’ criticism is that the Law can serve to protect mans disobedience against the claim of God. By that, it is meant that the commandment “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy” (cf. Ex. 20:8f.) can be set aside. While it is agreed that the commandment are/were the revealed will of God, if your neighbor has a dire need, even though it may be the Sabbath, your under obligation to “love your neighbor.” That is the point Jesus is making in MT. 12:9-14. This is, however, no reduction of the Law to morality. It is a radicalizing of the Law by the question of concrete obedience in love for your neighbor.

The second point in Jesus’ criticism is linked with the first. He criticizes the Law in that it does not expose sin at the root by only condemning the act and not the heart which underlies the act. For reference, note the change in the command concerning adultery.

Finally, Jesus’ criticism of the Law is that the Law as it presupposes the sin of man as a factor which cannot be altered. In Mk. 10:5 we see: “proV thn oklhrokardian umwn egrayen umin thn entolhn tauthn.” (For the hardheartedness of you, he wrote this commandment.) With a relationship to Jesus and membership of the “basileia tou qeou” (kingdom of God), however, there is restored the order of creation which does not accept sin as a given factor.

4. The Interrelation of Negation and Affirmation of the Law

This interrelation of Negation and Affirmation of the Law is seen in two points. First, it calls for full repentance, which acquires depth and concreteness from the Laws requirements. Secondly, it exhibits true obedience, the new righteousness. Both aspects are indissolubly bound up wit h the fact that Jesus bases the relation between God and man, not on fulfillment of the Law, but on the new act of God. Confrontation with God’s unconditional claim through the Law, together with recognition of condemnation by the newly understood Law on the one side, and liberation from the mediation of the Law on the other, mutually promote and control one another. Only when he renounces his own achievement and receives forgiveness is man truly able to offer the obedience of love. At the same time the question God’s new act on man and the world is contained in the radical establishment of the demand and its judgment.

III. The Conflict Concerning the Law

a. A brief introduction

A great cause of confusion today concerns the place of the Mosaic law in the New Testament believer’s life. While this short study cannot begin to cover all the issues involved, it is my hope that it will shed some light and remove some of the confusion.

One of the profound emphases of the New Testament, especially the epistles of Paul, is that Christians are no longer under the rule of the Mosaic law. This truth is stated in no uncertain terms and in various ways (see Rom. 6:14; 7:1-14; Gal. 3:10-13, 24-25; 4:21; 5:1, 13; 2 Cor. 3:7-18), but in spite of this, there have always been those who insist that the Mosaic Law, at least the Ten Commandments, are still in force for the Christian. In regard to the relation of Christian ethics to the Mosaic Law, Luck writes:

“There are Christian teachers of repute who consider the Mosaic law to be the present-day rule of life for the Christian.[4] A view not infrequently found among earnest, orthodox believers is that although we are not saved by the law, once we have been justified by faith, then the Mosaic law becomes our rule of life. Those holding such a view generally make a sharp division of the Mosaic law into two parts, which they distinguish as the moral and the ceremonial. The ceremonial portion they consider as having found its fulfillment in Christ at His first advent, and thus as having now passed away. But the moral portion of the Mosaic law, say they, is still in force as the believer’s rule of life. The treatment given to Christian ethics by some highly respected authors is indeed but little more than an exposition of the Decalogue.

It seems exceedingly strange that Bible-believing Christians should advocate such a view, when the New Testament makes it abundantly clear that the believer in Christ is not any longer under the Mosaic law in its entirety… Indeed after having been delivered from the law, to deliberately place ourselves once again under its [control] is said to be “falling from grace.”

But let it be immediately understood that this does not mean to say that we should necessarily behave in a manner just opposite to what the Mosaic law commands—that we should kill, steal, bear false witness, etc. Long before the law was given through Moses, it was utterly wrong to do such evil things. . .”[5]

By contrast, the age in which we live, the church age, has often and rightly been called the age of grace. This is not because God’s grace has not been manifested in other ages, but because in the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ we have the ultimate manifestation of God’s grace.

Titus 2:11-12. For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all people. It trains us to reject godless ways and worldly desires and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age,
Grace becomes an absolutely inseparable part of the believer’s life in Christ. In the coming of Christ and His death on the cross, the Mosaic Law as a rule of life was terminated. The believer is now to live in the liberty and power of God’s grace by the Spirit, not the rule of law. This new liberty must never be used as an occasion to indulge the flesh or sinful appetites (Gal. 5:13) nor does it mean the Christian has no moral law or imperatives on his life, but simply that he or she is to live righteously by a new source of life as asserted in Romans 8.

Romans 8:2-4. For the law of the life-giving Spirit in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and death. 3 For God achieved what the law could not do because it was weakened through the flesh. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and concerning sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 so that the righteous requirement of the law may be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

But a great deal of confusion exists over the issues of law and grace and the place of the Mosaic law in the New Testament believer’s life. However, the basic principle is that the “fusion” of law and grace brings a “confusion” which results in sterile legalism. Because of man’s natural bent toward either legalism or license, the place and function of the Law has been an issue in the Christian community since the very early days of the church. There have always been those who have sought to put the Christian back under the Law or make the Law necessary for both salvation and sanctification. As a result large sections of the New Testament are written directly to this issue (see Acts 15 and the council at Jerusalem; Romans 5:10; 6:14; 7:1f; 2 Cor. 3:6-18; and the entire book of Galatians). These passages were written against a legalistic use of the Law, one which promotes works to gain points with either God or people; works of self-effort rather than a life lived by the power and personal leading of the Holy Spirit.

Of course, other parts of the New Testament are written against license and the misuse of liberty (Gal. 5:13ff. Rom. 6:1ff; 8:4ff; Tit. 2:11-14). But the answer is never to put the Christian back under the Law, but rather a proper understanding and appreciation of God’s grace to us in Christ. Christian liberty is not the right to do as one pleases, but the power, desire, and will to do as one ought in and by the power of God and a regenerated life.

This is ultimately the focus of Titus 2:11-14. The glorious manifestation of God’s grace in Christ instructs and trains believers in how to live.[6] This grace provides the incentive, the motive, and the means. Regarding Titus 2:11-14 Ryrie writes:

“The verb teaching encompasses the whole concept of growth—discipline, maturing, obedience, progress, and the like. This involves denial of improper things and direction into proper channels. These five terms—godliness, worldly lusts, soberly, righteously, godly—do not describe the content of grace teaching so much as they indicate the object and purposeful goal of that teaching. And this intent is, according to this passage, the ultimate purpose of the Incarnation of Christ. He came to display the grace of God in the changed lives of his people. The final cause of the revelation of the grace of God in Christ is not creed but character.”[7]

In Romans 6:14, Paul gives us a fundamental principle as it relates to the Christian’s understanding and the place of the Law in a believer’s life. “For sin will have no mastery over you, becauseyou are not under law but under grace.” (emphasis mine). Romans 6 deals with the believer’s walk or sanctification. In this regard, under grace is never to be taken as an excuse to sin as one pleases since he is under grace (6:1-2) and it is placed in strong contrast[8] with under law. Two things are prominent here: (1) these two (law and grace) are set forth as complete opposites, and (2) the text also makes it clear that the only way the believer is going to experience true sanctification (victory over sin plus the production of positive righteousness) is by grace (the work of God in Christ) and never by law. The reasons, which will be set forth below, are bound up in two issues, the weakness of man’s flesh and the nature of the Law and its inability because of man’s weakness to produce a truly holy life. This is not to say that the Mosaic Law is not good and holy and does not have a function, but this too will be set forth below.

b. The Primitive Community

Up to this point, we have shown the development of the Greek word “nomoV” from a meaning of “to allot” to “Law.” We have seen how the commandments were handed down to Moses from God and were regarded as the Law. We have the view of the Law in the Synoptics and the interrelation of Jesus’ negation and affirmation of the Law and how they are interwoven so that it actually restores and establishes the intent of God in His revealed will.

Now we come to a most difficult area which brought conflict nearly two millennia ago, and one which still brings conflict today. The conflict concerning the Law and its relevance to Christians then and now. There is no clear cut definitive picture of just what the understanding of the Law was in the primitive community. But it is a certainty that they did in fact keep the Law, but as to the extent of the keeping of the Law it is not certain from the account in Acts because no distinctive can be discerned in this record. So what we can do, however, is to look at what records we do have concerning the conflict which are found in the book of Galatians and in Acts 15.

The question of the Law first became an issue when the Apostles began their missionary journeys. When they moved out to the Gentile world, more specifically the Gentile nations, there was so much conflict that the first Apostolic Council is recorded. With regards to this meeting, and the decision they came to, we can work best work out what the fundamental understanding of the Law was in the primitive community.

A problem that had existed from the Day of Pentecost was how to integrate Gentile believers into the church. Apparently, Paul taught his Gentile converts that they did not need to submit to the Law in order to be members in good standing, a point which not all agreed on. Paul’s first missionary journey took him from Jerusalem to Antioch to Galatia and back to Jerusalem which led to the first Apostolic Council meeting. AS in Paul’s day, there were a group of people who are commonly called “legalists.” Of whom believed that not only was a belief in God required, but also a strict observance to the Law of Moses was required.

According to Gal. 2, the data relevant to the council are as follows: first, agreement between Paul’s gospel and that preached by the primitive community is confirmed and not just established. Gal. 2:2: “aneqemhn autoiV to euaggelion o khrussw en toiV eqnesin” (I put before them the gospel which I proclaim in the nations) Vs.6: “emoi oi dokounteV ouden prosaneqento” (to me, for those conferred nothing) Note in the KJV, the translators added the word “important” thus the italics, to emphasize Paul was referring to the Apostolic council.

The second point is equally certain, namely, that practical questions over and above the unanimity of principle was not so fully cleared up as to make impossible the dispute at Antioch as Paul describes it in Galatians 2. To understand this passage it should be noted that neither directly nor indirectly does Paul have any word of censure from James. The concrete question is whether and how far those born Jew may live together in fellowship with Gentile Christians who do not keep the Law. In particular, can they have fellowship with them at table and in the Lord’s Supper? For if they do, they necessarily surrender essential parts of the strict observance of the Law. The measure of clarity reached thus far was simply that purely Gentile Christian churches were free from the Law with the consent of the primitive community, and purely Jewish Christian churches should keep the Law with the consent of Paul.

The findings of the Apostolic Council, then, are that the Law is not to be kept as though one could be righteous by its observance, that faith in Jesus brings salvation to both Jew and Gentile alike, and that the Law is still binding on Jews. On this basis, it seems that the separation of Gentile and Jewish evangelization (Gal. 2:7) had to be accepted by both Paul and the primitive as necessary and appropriate.

c. But this raises the question of why Jewish Christians were obliged to keep the Law. The main reason is concern for the possibility of the Jewish mission. The preaching of Jesus as the Christ of scripture could not be believed by Jews if His followers left the Law of God. That Paul could agree with this view is shown beyond any question in 1 Cor. 9:20. He neither demands nor makes any demonstration of his freedom from the Law which might consist in transgression of the Law.

d. From the basic and practical decision of the primitive community in these matters we may work out its understanding of the Law during the preceding period. The actual commitment to the Law was not monism in the sense that fulfillment of the Law w regarded as a presupposition of belonging to the Messianic kingdom. On the contrary, it regarded observance of the Law as the obedience concretely required of it as this people - an obedience which it had also to render for loves sake in the service of the Gospel. What constituted the community and separated it from others, however, was not a specific understanding of the Law but faith in Jesus as Lord and Christ. Historically speaking, it is probable that the Synoptic accounts of Jesus’ attitude to the Law are correct and that fundamentally the primitive community took its attitude to the Law from Jesus Himself.

e. Further developments in the primitive community is also to be understood in light of the conflicts, motives, and decisions brought to light in the first Apostolic Council and the events relating to it. The radical party, traditionally called the Judaizers, insisted that in spite of the councils decision, circumcision and the Law must be laid on Gentile Christians, since otherwise they could not enjoy salvation or belong to the community of Christ. They evidently propagated this view with zeal, especially in the Pauline churches, though it is open to question whether the situation presupposed in Rome can be explained by Judaising propaganda.

f. Distinct from the position of the Judaizers is that of James, Peter, and the community controlled by them, who seem to have kept essentially to the lines laid down by the Apostolic Council. This certainly corresponds to the depiction of James in Acts 21:148, and it is confirmed by the account of his death in Josephus.[9] In regards to Peter, it is best to assume that he returned to the position of the Apostolic Council and James after accepting the view of Paul for a period in Antioch. Certainly the attempt to make Peter a champion of the Judaizers lacks enough exegetical support in the available sources and it suffers from intrinsic improbability.

As concerning the understanding of the Law in normative circles of primitive Christianity, it may thus be said that they regarded the Law as the obedience to be rendered by Jewish Christians. They were also conscious of being under this obligation for the sake of winning the Jewish world for the Gospel. They did not believe that by achieving this obedience man could attain to righteousness before God. They were prepared to extend brotherly fellowship to Gentile Christians even though the latter did not keep the Law. In mixed congregations, Gentile Christians were obliged to observe such points as would make fellowship of Jewish Christians with them defensible in the eyes of the Jewish world.

Continued...

[1] Adolph von Harnack, Beitrage zur Einlertung in das NT, II: “Sprucle u. Reder Jesu” (1907), 11f.

[2] T. Zahn, Kommentar z. Matthausev, 1905

[3] A. Schlatter, Kommentar z. Mk., 1930

[4] For further information on this subject, see the article by Roy l. Aldrich, “Causes for Confusion of Law and Grace,” Bibliotheca Sacra, 116:463:221-29, July 1959

[5] G. Coleman Luck, “Christian Ethics,” Bibliotheca Sacra, 118:471 - July 1961, Theological Electronic Library, Galaxie Software

[6] The verb “train” or “instruct” is paideuo,,,” to bring up, instruct, educate, train,” then, “correct, practice, discipline, give guidance.”

[7] Charles C. Ryrie, The Grace of God, Moody Press, Chicago, 1963, pp. 51-52

[8] In this clause, “but” is alla, a conjunction that expresses strong contrast.

[9] Josephus, Ant., 20, 200

Upvote 0