The KJV Mandela effect conundrum (KJV only folks)

7seals

Jun 14, 2017
Grants pass
✟15,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have been studying the bible for many years
I did an in depth bible study in Matthew (always with the kjv) about four years ago. I was reading where the mothers would hate their daughters. This did not make sense to me because what mother would hate their daughters? I went to the Strong's Concordance to see what the word hate meant in the Greek. The definition said to Love God More. After reading that, the scripture made total sense to the subject. Fast forward a year. I had a friend ask me how to use the concordance. I went to her house to have that same bible study to teach her. I thought using the word hate would be the perfect word for her to see why we should always look for the meaning of the original word. When I looked for the scripture I could not find it. It was saying the fathers will be against the sons and said nothing about the mothers hating their daughters. I was looking at every definition of the word hate in the Strong's concordance. It was not in there. To this day I am not able to find either the scripture or the definition.

I put that on the back burner of my mind. I was questioning how I could have been so far off, but at the same time, that is how I learned what the word "Hate" meant for that particular scripture. Not to mention how foolish I looked and felt when I was trying to do this study with her. Not being able to find the scripture nor the definition.

During the past five years I have been questioning many things about the bible. It got to the point where I told myself that I can't be this far off after studying for over 30 yrs. By studying I do not mean picking up a bible a few times a year or go to church to have a pastor read and interpret it for me. I had to go online to see if anyone else was having the same issues I was. Imagine my horror when I found out they were!

Christ asked the apostles who they thought he was. They answered him wrong. Peter gave the true answer. Christ said he would build his church on the truth that Peter spoke. Truth being the cornerstone and foundation of his church. God's word is true and will never change. God told us what would happen in the end times. God is leaving a remnant of his true word. Whenever there was a major catastrophe that happened, God said he would always leave a remnant. The 144,000 is that remnant being sealed with his true undiluted and pure word.

We were in the period of grace for a very long time. We had plenty of time to seek God and who he is. Man seems to always reject God and push him out. Now the doors are closing.

If ever there was an urgent time to witness to people, now would be a great time to proclaim God's truth.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have been studying the bible for many years. I always asked God what the meaning of the sealing of the word meant about the 144,000. I would hear a sermon about it here and there but it wouldn't stay in my mind. A year ago when i found my bible changing and i thought i was just not taking enough time to memorize each word. I knew that was not true because i do know a lot of scripture. Things were not right. I went online to see if others were experiencing the same thing. To my sadness I realized i had not made it important enough to take the time to memorize his word. He even said to sing to him in psalms and hymns. Why? Because singing helps to memorize. The moment i realized God's word had supernaturaly changed, God brought to my rememberance a couple of scriptures that make sense and answered my questions.

In the end times there will be a famine, not for food, but for the word of God. God is sealing up his true word in the minds of the 144,000. Now i know what it means and it still has not slipped my mind even after a year.

I love this!
Actually you did not experience the Mandela effect in that situation. What happened is that the Father, our Creator, just interpreted the word to you in terms of its meanings. This is what the analogy of the woman finding the lost coin was all about. Had she not spent the time sweeping and searching for it, it would be lost only to be unearthed in the distant future by another. This is what can happen if you diligently study and spend time seeking truth. This also refers to the "pearl of great price", it is a special nugget of truth that only you can appreciate. Dare you share it with anyone, and you'll get either laughs, scoffs or the blow-off.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
There is no such thing as the Mandela Effect.
It would violate the Word of the Lord.
He said He would preserve it to all generations.
And He will.

Now, there are verses that I might think I remember, but find out upon reading them, that I might not have remembered quite right. Memories are like that.
When my siblings and I get together and try to reminisce about 40 to 50 years ago, several of us always start disagreeing over how things actually happened.
For instance, my Daddy died when I was a baby. The reports of it vary. I have never learned the absolute truth.
One sister tells me it absolutely happened that Daddy died immediately, before the truck burst into flames.
Another says, no, Daddy spoke a few words to the policeman before he died, after they got him out of the truck.
And another maintains absolutely that he said something BEFORE they got him out, but that he died before they extracted him.

One says Papa was an angry, selfish, childish man, not worthy of marrying Mama.
Another says, no, he wasn't that bad.
And I only remember Papa as a very gentle, jovial, sweet soul who at times might get a bit upset, but that was only human. We all get upset sometimes. Papa never once spanked me. He felt as a stepdad he didn't have the relationship needed to give him that right. He left it up to Mama... whom I never saw angry once. (yes, I did get spankings... but only when I really needed them badly..)

Our memories are faulty. We can think we remember "the lion and the lamb will lie down together" as a Bible verse... but then find out it was the wolf and the lamb... Fact is, the phrase "Lion and Lamb" are often linked elsewhere in Christian literature, because Christ is the Lamb, and He is also the Lion of Judah. And human brains sometimes get things filed in the wrong file.

I have heard all kinds of "Mandela Effect" verses that supposedly have changed on the pages of the Bibles, as they sit on the shelves. But in every single case, I either remember that, no, it is not the way they say... I remember how I thought that verse was odd like that when I was young... or else I remember, wait, they've got two verses slightly confused and put together wrong here. And it always checks out.

There is no such thing as the "Mandela Effect." There just isn't.
Those with mental disorders tend to believe there is.
Because they trust their own brains, even when sound external evidence proves them mistaken.

""He said He would preserve it to all generations.
And He will.""

I am curious , where has God said this; I believe the scriptures have been preserved, but not only by the KJV or any other translation and not without molestation.

Jeremiah 8:8 (RSV)
8 "How can you say, `We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us'? But, behold, the false pen of the scribes has made it into a lie.

Revelation 22:19 (RSV)
19 and if any one takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

The written word is susceptible to attack and would have been a prime target for Satan in the first three centuries.

I don't have a problem with the KJV, I use it mainly for it's cross-references. But there is not exact word for word equivalents for English from Hebrew and Greek, there are only approximations.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I am suffering form the Mandela effect. I am third generation Christian. I attended private Christian kindergarten to high school, where Bible is a class just like English. I have attended church regularly the majority of my life. I tend to think that although I am a sinner I love the Lord.

Do you see where I'm going.....

I was just trying to find places on the web to were I could see if someone else is going through what im going through. I heard seeking the help of fellow Christians is a great thing to do when facing adversity. I was really hoping some one here could help me to make sense of some sort of sense of it all.

If I may. Please indulge me. Here is one of my Mandela effect symptoms or problems or psychosis or whatever you want to call it.
When I look in my KJV bible that I have been reading since I could read going on 39 years since I could read at the age of five, Gen. 1:1 the very foundation of the word of God, now, reads to me...

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth.

However how I remember it, and how I know it to read, and how I taught it to my children that are 3 and 5 years old is this...

In the beginning God created the HEAVENS (plural) and the earth.

In my mind, not only has it magically changed in every KJV that I own. I appears that EVERY KJV online and in the WORLD has been magically changed....and get this....nobody notices it but you and a handful of others. How would you feel if that happened to you?

*** Can someone give me the rules on link posting, thank you in advance

I am surprised that the KJV has dropped the s from heavens, all the other translations I have use heavens plural; I would never have noticed the s missing if you hadn't mentioned it; although, a long time ago I noticed a number of funny things about the KJV ; missing words, extra words, missing half sentences and extra half sentences, relative to other translations, and I was disappointed with the KJV; further research determined the differences were in the original text that is the Masoretic Text, which came into existence around 700 AD after Mohammad and the setting up of the Papacy. Now when I look in the interlinear bible using the Masoretic text, it clearly has heavens plural.

The only person who would need a perfect text would be a legalist who did not have God.

Upvote 0
Aug 23, 2017
North East
✟15,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A word of encouragement to all believers. Jesus is the word and that will never change, but words in my KJV have, yes... Sitting on my shelf. My peace comes from drawing nearer to Him, focusing on my walking with Him, and walking in His love and peace. It's still so crazy though, but I'm glad that I'm not alone with the knowledge of these changes. God Bless!

Upvote 0

the outlaw

Feb 24, 2003
Greenwood, SC
Visit site
✟7,934.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Republican
You know what has brought me closer to God over the past month and a half...waking up to this phenomenon and realizing that time is growing short for all of us to repent. I trust the word I have hidden in my heart...I have held fast to the personal real relationship with Jesus
and I now understand so much more scripture than before. The glorious day is coming and I pray you all are ready for it! God Bless!

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And yes, mufflers, bottles, couches, matrix... those words were all in there in the KJV, in the late 1960's. Not a thing has changed.

A lot of those words are older than one might think. For example, the word "matrix" (meaning "womb") goes back to the 1300s, coming from the Old French word "matrice" (which in turn comes from Latin). In modern English the word has a different meaning, of course, but in the KJV it has the original meaning of "womb."

It's possible that some people are simply mis-remembering verses with some of these "odd-sounding" words.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's possible that some people are simply mis-remembering verses with some of these "odd-sounding" words.

Also, Exodus 34:19 in the KJV says "matrix," but the reference to that verse in Luke 2:23 says "womb."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone experienced the King James Version Mandela effect?
That is when you read a verse that you have known all your life and then suddenly it is different?
I am not a believer in any weird esoteric conspiracy theories, I am only asking if others have noticed.
Things like the 10 commandments being written on TABLES, in the lord's prayer "trespasses" becomes debts, that Yeshua did not come to bring peace, but division (I thought it was a sword) new wine can not be put in old "bottles" (I thought it was wineskins) and in Isaiah it says that the WOLF and the lion shall lie together (I thought it was lion and the lamb)

This is for KJV ONLY folks. I know that some of these words might be translation differences, but there are a number of people across the world noticing these things. There are some really wild explanations that seem crazy. Not interested in trying to discuss any of that, I just want to know if anyone else here notices these things.
There seem to be a lot of modern words used as well like The Matrix, couches, bottles, mufflers, ect. These things were not around in the 1600's.

Thoughts?

They were always bottles and debts when I studied the KJV as teenager and young man back in the 60's and early 70's, I always remembered that for two reasons first I wondered why bottle would break if you put new wine in them I always wondered why the 1662 Book of Common Prayer used trespasses when the KJV used debts and debtors. I wouldn't surprised what the fruitcakes come with from time to time.

PS... newer translations use wineskins for the Koine Greek word ἀσκοὺς because it is a closer translation than the concept of a leather bottle.

Upvote 0

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 10:34

Do not think that I came to bring peace to the earth; I came not to bring peace, but a sword.

Luke 12:51

Do you think that I came to give peace on the earth? No, I say to you, but rather division.

the word sword and the word division have the same meaning and that being
separation

Reactions: PeaceJoyLove
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 10:34

Do not think that I came to bring peace to the earth; I came not to bring peace, but a sword.

Luke 12:51

Do you think that I came to give peace on the earth? No, I say to you, but rather division.

the word sword and the word division have the same meaning and that being
separation

Same meaning perhaps, but the Greek is different in those two verses.

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I actually went to dig out the KJV Bible I have from the early 1970s, and it does use the word "bottles" :D ...I could also have sworn it said wine skins. As I contemplate how that could be, I recall sitting in church hearing the pastor (and others) say "wine skins" and reading from a different version than the KJV. Hearing so many people use the term repeatedly, caused the mis-memory of the verse. I think the NIV was being used where I used to attend back in those days.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I use the 1599 Geneva Bible. It still has the passages that declared NOT to follow governments. Since Emperors, then Kings were the heads of the church, they made the choices on how the Bible would effect their thrones. King James hated the Geneva Bible and had it rewritten by scribes to edit out anything that had to do with his power. Of course, the Church of England (Anglicans) agreed.

When the Puritans left Europe on the Mayflower to escape the Church of England, they brought the Geneva Bible with them.

An example of KJV removal of specific words.

1599 Geneva Bible:
Ephesians 6:12:
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness, which are in the high places.

KJV:
Ephesians 6:12
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

The words of the Gospel (NT) was even noticed by Origen in 240AD as having different characteristics depending on the scribes who copied them.

He was likewise keenly conscious of the textual difficulties in the manuscripts of the New Testament, although he never wrote definitely on this subject. In his exegetical writings he frequently alludes to the variant readings, but his habit of making rough citations in his dictation, the verification being left to the scribes, renders it impossible to deduce his text from his commentaries.- On Origen

We seek best we can, and the Spirit reveals the truth. But we have to seek on our part as well to get closest to truth.

Upvote 0

Minster01

Oct 22, 2017
Columbus
✟15,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
  1. I too have experienced this. Those that have not experienced this will think we are all nuts.
    I was raised in a Regular Baptist home, by a regular baptist minister. To the regular baptist there is only one bible it is the KJV. If anyone had brought in an NIV and even read from it they would have been banned or tossed out.
    We said verses hundreds and hundreds of times over and over. We were taught to memorize everything we could to "hide the word in our hearts". I had not read a Greek or Hebrew bible till well in to my 20's so there is no way I would have mis construed a translation. I am not a regular baptist now into my 50's but I am telling you it has changed. Those of you that are saying it has always been historically that way are missing the point. In your history it has always been the same so no amount of logic will change your minds. For me and for countless others the Mandela effect especially on the KJV bible is real. The Lord's prayer to us did READ trespasses in Matthew and actually said Debts in Luke. It was absolutely the Lion and the lamb not just in Isaiah but also in hundreds of old songs we sang. The word Matrix was always womb and was never used in place of womb. It was consuder the sparrows never the Ravens. I am not mis remebering for us it has changed. I have no idea how or why I just believe it is likely supernatural and like some it means we are nearing the end.
    Those that disagree are not seeing it and will think we are nuts but it is vety very real.

Last edited: Yesterday at 8:34 AM
    Yesterday at 8:22 AM
    + QuoteReply
< Prev12

Upvote 0

AbeSabre

Jul 15, 2018
Vancouver
✟16,153.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know I’m coming into this discussion a bit late, but I only heard about this KJV Mandela Effect issue recently, so I’m here looking it up. In answer to the original question: No, I haven’t noticed Mandela Effect with regard to the KJV, but I do find, on a daily basis, that little things are not the way I thought I remembered them.

Regarding the issue of the print in KJV Bibles actually changing I have some info. I’ll put that in a separate post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AbeSabre

Jul 15, 2018
Vancouver
✟16,153.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Isaiah 11:6 says that the wolf will dwell with the lamb. The original Hebrew word used there is “zeh-av”. In every case where that word is used in the Hebrew scriptures English Bible translators have translated it as “wolf”. The Hebrew word for Lion is ”kephiyr”. Kephiyr is used a little later in that same verse (Isaiah 11:6), but not in connection with the lamb. If the original Hebrew uses the word for “wolf”, not “lion”, in connection with the lamb in Isaiah 11:6 then doesn’t that prove that the English translation of that verse as we now see it is correct, and has not been corrupted by any supernatural effect?

I can certainly understand that some people honestly think they recall a Bible verse that says the lion shall lie down with the lamb because, as Pollyjetix pointed out, lion and lamb are often linked elsewhere in Christian literature. Most notably, Revelation 5:5, speaking of Christ, uses the phrase “Lion of the tribe of Judah”, and then the very next verse, still speaking of Christ, refers to Him as a Lamb that has been slain, thus Lion and Lamb are permanently linked in our minds. Then we see in Isaiah 11:6 that both lion and lamb are mentioned (as well as wolf, leopard, kid, calf, and fatling), but since lion and lamb are the two animals that were both used as representations of Christ, those are the two that stand out in our minds, and we don’t really pay attention to the fact that Isaiah 11:6 actually places the lamb with the wolf (not the lion) and the lion with the calf and fatling (not the lamb), so in our minds we put the two memorable animals together along with the phrase “shall lie down with” (which actually is in reference to the leopard and the kid), so we get the idea that “the lion shall lie down with the lamb”. Then some preacher who has had that phrase fixed into his mind misquotes the verse that way, others like it so they repeat the misquote, it catches on, and before long it’s assumed that the Bible says, “lion shall lie down with the lamb”, because it’s assumed that a million people quoting that phrase can’t all be wrong.

The truth is none of you memorized it that way by reading it from the pages of the Bible. You may have memorized it that way by reading from some source other than the Bible, or by hearing your Pastor or Sunday School Teacher state it that way, but you can rest assured that the memory did not come from what you saw printed in the Biblical text.

Also, words like “debts” (in the Lord’s prayer) and “tables” (of the ten commandments) were always there. Those words did not just appear recently. Those words can be found in very old commentaries of the Lord’s prayer and the ten commandments, such as the commentaries Matthew Henry wrote over 300 years ago.

The reason some people remember the quote as “forgive us our trespasses” instead of “forgive us our debts” is because just a couple of verses later Jesus talks about forgiving “trespasses”. Matt 6:12, in the KJV, uses “debts”, but Matt 6:14&15, in the KJV, use the word “trespasses”. None of those verses have mysteriously changed; those are just the words the KJV translators originally decided worked best. What has changed is that some people have finally noticed that Matt 6:12 doesn’t use the word “trespasses”. That’s just the word that has been fixed into their minds because of what they remember from a few verses down the page.

The reason some people remember “tablets” instead of “tables” in passages like Exodus 34 is actually because they really are remembering correctly. Most English Bible versions do use the word “tablets”. The KJV is one of the rare exceptions that uses “tables”. For those of you who remember “tablets”, and are absolutely sure that it was the KJV, you may want to reconsider. If someone read it to you when you were six years old you don’t really know what translation you were hearing. The KJV is not the only English translation that was commonly available when you were a child. The NKJV was available back in the 1980s, the NIV in the late 1970s, the NASB in the 1960s or 1970s (NT & OT published separately), the RSV in the 1950s, the ASV since about the start of the 1900s; in fact all your life you have been hearing the Bible quoted (and misquoted) from numerous translations other than the KJV (unless you are hundreds of years old).

People (including KJV-only devotees) are commonly mistaken about which version they’re reading or hearing. For an example of this oversight see http://www.iabhorcern.org/apps/photos/album?albumid=16004187 . The creator of that webpage believes he has a KJV Bible that was spared the supernatural alterations that the rest of the world’s KJV Bibles have been subjected to. He posted photos of some of the pages of his unchanged KJV to show what the text originally said before the Mandela effect hit. His Bible does in fact have different words than other KJV Bibles, but the reason is not that other KJV Bibles have been affected by supernatural sabotage. Take a look at the photos. He is apparently quite unaware that he has an NLT (New Living Translation). The first five photos are of pages of an NLT. Some of the lower photos are some other version; possibly TLB. You see now how easy it is for people to mistake something else for the KJV. Millions of us have probably made the same mistake (but most don’t take it as far as making an entire website, complete with pictures of some other version that we claim is a KJV).

Every now and then another one of these strange myths about the Bible catches on and gets circulated. About 10 years ago it was the theory that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and had kids, but the records of this were concealed for someone’s political purposes, or something like that. About 20 years ago it was the Bible Code craze which claimed that the Bible’s hidden messages are decoded by some process of rearranging the letters sideways or diagonally, or something like that. Now it’s this idea that words in Bibles are being mysteriously changed while they’re sitting on shelves. I realize that these conspiracy theories and alternate reality stories are fascinating and compelling; I’m a Sci-fi fan too; but 1 Tim 4:7 tells us to “Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness;”. “Have nothing to do with” them means we are to reject all these silly myths for what they are: fiction. “Train yourself for godliness” means that we are to learn the real message of the Bible; not all the new myths and fictitious claims that emerge every several years, but the real message that unites us to God.

The Apostle Paul wrote in 1 Cor 15, “For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures”. The death of Christ for our sins, and His resurrection: that’s the message the Bible says is the thing that is “of first importance”. It does not say that looking for coded messages or magically changing words or conspiracy theories is of first importance. After all, even if “tablets” did change to “tables” and “trespasses” did change to “debts”, and we could proved it, what difference would it make? Nowhere in the Bible does it say “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in word switches should not perish but have eternal life”. Our sin has earned us the eternal wrath of God, and our salvation from that sin and it’s eternal consequences depends, not on understanding Mandela effect, but on putting our full faith in the substitutionary death of Christ that averts the eternal wrath of God. As we get sidetracked into other things it is easy to forget that that Gospel is the message “of first importance”. That is why Paul had to remind the Corinthians of that message that he preached to them (1 Cor 15:1). Some of us seem to think that the Gospel is only our introduction to Christianity; and after that we just leave the Gospel behind and go onto other things. The Gospel is not something that we are ever supposed to leave behind or grow beyond. If we think we have grown beyond the Gospel then we probably didn’t fully get it in the first place. As we dwell on the conspiracy theories and mysterious oddities that creep into the church every several years, then in a subtle and unnoticed way the Gospel gets de-emphasized and neglected, despite the fact that the Bible emphasizes it as “of first importance”. It doesn’t get proclaimed any more and we forget that the Gospel, the message of the cross, is the power of God to us who are being saved.

I suspect that all of this will fall on deaf ears to anyone who is fixated on this Mandela effect issue, but it is to those of you who are being saved that I appeal. Stop and think about the fact that for our sake He who knew no sin was made to be sin, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God. Ponder that, endeavor to understand it, and then be amazed. Put the substitutionary death and resurrection of Christ back into it’s place “of first importance”, as did Paul who said, “Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!”

• Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isaiah 11:6 says that the wolf will dwell with the lamb. The original Hebrew word used there is “zeh-av”. In every case where that word is used in the Hebrew scriptures English Bible translators have translated it as “wolf”. The Hebrew word for Lion is ”kephiyr”. Kephiyr is used a little later in that same verse (Isaiah 11:6), but not in connection with the lamb. If the original Hebrew uses the word for “wolf”, not “lion”, in connection with the lamb in Isaiah 11:6 then doesn’t that prove that the English translation of that verse as we now see it is correct, and has not been corrupted by any supernatural effect?

I can certainly understand that some people honestly think they recall a Bible verse that says the lion shall lie down with the lamb because, as Pollyjetix pointed out, lion and lamb are often linked elsewhere in Christian literature. Most notably, Revelation 5:5, speaking of Christ, uses the phrase “Lion of the tribe of Judah”, and then the very next verse, still speaking of Christ, refers to Him as a Lamb that has been slain, thus Lion and Lamb are permanently linked in our minds. Then we see in Isaiah 11:6 that both lion and lamb are mentioned (as well as wolf, leopard, kid, calf, and fatling), but since lion and lamb are the two animals that were both used as representations of Christ, those are the two that stand out in our minds, and we don’t really pay attention to the fact that Isaiah 11:6 actually places the lamb with the wolf (not the lion) and the lion with the calf and fatling (not the lamb), so in our minds we put the two memorable animals together along with the phrase “shall lie down with” (which actually is in reference to the leopard and the kid), so we get the idea that “the lion shall lie down with the lamb”. Then some preacher who has had that phrase fixed into his mind misquotes the verse that way, others like it so they repeat the misquote, it catches on, and before long it’s assumed that the Bible says, “lion shall lie down with the lamb”, because it’s assumed that a million people quoting that phrase can’t all be wrong.

The truth is none of you memorized it that way by reading it from the pages of the Bible. You may have memorized it that way by reading from some source other than the Bible, or by hearing your Pastor or Sunday School Teacher state it that way, but you can rest assured that the memory did not come from what you saw printed in the Biblical text.

Also, words like “debts” (in the Lord’s prayer) and “tables” (of the ten commandments) were always there. Those words did not just appear recently. Those words can be found in very old commentaries of the Lord’s prayer and the ten commandments, such as the commentaries Matthew Henry wrote over 300 years ago.

The reason some people remember the quote as “forgive us our trespasses” instead of “forgive us our debts” is because just a couple of verses later Jesus talks about forgiving “trespasses”. Matt 6:12, in the KJV, uses “debts”, but Matt 6:14&15, in the KJV, use the word “trespasses”. None of those verses have mysteriously changed; those are just the words the KJV translators originally decided worked best. What has changed is that some people have finally noticed that Matt 6:12 doesn’t use the word “trespasses”. That’s just the word that has been fixed into their minds because of what they remember from a few verses down the page.

The reason some people remember “tablets” instead of “tables” in passages like Exodus 34 is actually because they really are remembering correctly. Most English Bible versions do use the word “tablets”. The KJV is one of the rare exceptions that uses “tables”. For those of you who remember “tablets”, and are absolutely sure that it was the KJV, you may want to reconsider. If someone read it to you when you were six years old you don’t really know what translation you were hearing. The KJV is not the only English translation that was commonly available when you were a child. The NKJV was available back in the 1980s, the NIV in the late 1970s, the NASB in the 1960s or 1970s (NT & OT published separately), the RSV in the 1950s, the ASV since about the start of the 1900s; in fact all your life you have been hearing the Bible quoted (and misquoted) from numerous translations other than the KJV (unless you are hundreds of years old).

People (including KJV-only devotees) are commonly mistaken about which version they’re reading or hearing. For an example of this oversight see http://www.iabhorcern.org/apps/photos/album?albumid=16004187 . The creator of that webpage believes he has a KJV Bible that was spared the supernatural alterations that the rest of the world’s KJV Bibles have been subjected to. He posted photos of some of the pages of his unchanged KJV to show what the text originally said before the Mandela effect hit. His Bible does in fact have different words than other KJV Bibles, but the reason is not that other KJV Bibles have been affected by supernatural sabotage. Take a look at the photos. He is apparently quite unaware that he has an NLT (New Living Translation). The first five photos are of pages of an NLT. Some of the lower photos are some other version; possibly TLB. You see now how easy it is for people to mistake something else for the KJV. Millions of us have probably made the same mistake (but most don’t take it as far as making an entire website, complete with pictures of some other version that we claim is a KJV).

Every now and then another one of these strange myths about the Bible catches on and gets circulated. About 10 years ago it was the theory that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and had kids, but the records of this were concealed for someone’s political purposes, or something like that. About 20 years ago it was the Bible Code craze which claimed that the Bible’s hidden messages are decoded by some process of rearranging the letters sideways or diagonally, or something like that. Now it’s this idea that words in Bibles are being mysteriously changed while they’re sitting on shelves. I realize that these conspiracy theories and alternate reality stories are fascinating and compelling; I’m a Sci-fi fan too; but 1 Tim 4:7 tells us to “Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness;”. “Have nothing to do with” them means we are to reject all these silly myths for what they are: fiction. “Train yourself for godliness” means that we are to learn the real message of the Bible; not all the new myths and fictitious claims that emerge every several years, but the real message that unites us to God.

The Apostle Paul wrote in 1 Cor 15, “For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures”. The death of Christ for our sins, and His resurrection: that’s the message the Bible says is the thing that is “of first importance”. It does not say that looking for coded messages or magically changing words or conspiracy theories is of first importance. After all, even if “tablets” did change to “tables” and “trespasses” did change to “debts”, and we could proved it, what difference would it make? Nowhere in the Bible does it say “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in word switches should not perish but have eternal life”. Our sin has earned us the eternal wrath of God, and our salvation from that sin and it’s eternal consequences depends, not on understanding Mandela effect, but on putting our full faith in the substitutionary death of Christ that averts the eternal wrath of God. As we get sidetracked into other things it is easy to forget that that Gospel is the message “of first importance”. That is why Paul had to remind the Corinthians of that message that he preached to them (1 Cor 15:1). Some of us seem to think that the Gospel is only our introduction to Christianity; and after that we just leave the Gospel behind and go onto other things. The Gospel is not something that we are ever supposed to leave behind or grow beyond. If we think we have grown beyond the Gospel then we probably didn’t fully get it in the first place. As we dwell on the conspiracy theories and mysterious oddities that creep into the church every several years, then in a subtle and unnoticed way the Gospel gets de-emphasized and neglected, despite the fact that the Bible emphasizes it as “of first importance”. It doesn’t get proclaimed any more and we forget that the Gospel, the message of the cross, is the power of God to us who are being saved.

I suspect that all of this will fall on deaf ears to anyone who is fixated on this Mandela effect issue, but it is to those of you who are being saved that I appeal. Stop and think about the fact that for our sake He who knew no sin was made to be sin, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God. Ponder that, endeavor to understand it, and then be amazed. Put the substitutionary death and resurrection of Christ back into it’s place “of first importance”, as did Paul who said, “Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!”

Yup. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Andrew J. O.

Aug 30, 2018
New York
✟7,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Matthew 7:1 "Judge not, lest ye be judged."
Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and fallen short of the glory of God."

These VERSES are no longer in the KJV, at least not in mine. They read, "Judge not, that ye be not judged." "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."

2 Kings 18:27 (KJV) "But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] with you?"

That was a direct quote from my KJV Bible app, and it was the same in my actual KJV before I crossed it out. That was not in the Bible before.

Upvote 0