Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I know what you mean, but it is all in how we are raised. As a child, to help us revere the Bible, we could not put anything on top of the Bible, like our keys or purse, or another book (except another Bible.) I'm 70 and I still can't put anything on to of a Bible, and cringe when others do. I'm not judging them, but I still shudder and have to hold myself back from grabbing the keys and putting them to the side. :grimacing:

I'm also uncomfortable having anything put on top of a Bible. I don't remember so much being raised that way though (though it's possible), so much as it seemed disrespectful to do so. But it's not something I'll bother others with, it's my own personal thing.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I'm also uncomfortable having anything put on top of a Bible. I don't remember so much being raised that way though (though it's possible), so much as it seemed disrespectful to do so. But it's not something I'll bother others with, it's my own personal thing.

-CryptoLutheran

No, I never say anything either, as I don't believe they gave it much thought, and still revere the Bible as much as I do. It's really the only legalistic thing I do, but don't plan to stop. ;)

Upvote 0

Ancient of Days

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That would mean God had to have invented a writing system for Adam to use, and to be frank that's, if not surpassing, at least bordering on the absurd. The earliest form of writing for which we have any evidence is cuneiform, which was invented by the Sumerians as a simplification of older pictographs and simple numeric notation. Other, independent writing systems developed elsewhere, such as in China and in Egypt largely following a similar pattern of pictographic proto-writing to writing proper. What we know today as the Hebrew abjad, for example, is actually the Aramaic script which was borrowed to write Hebrew in the post-exilic period. Prior to the adoption of the Aramaic script there did exist what is known as the Paleo-Hebrew script, a form of which is still in use today by the Samaritans. Paleo-Hebrew and Aramaic are both derived from the earlier Phoenician script, which is descended from Proto-Sinaitic, likely coming from Egyptian hieroglyphs, a comparison between the Egyptian hieroglyph for "ox", and Proto-Sinaitic aleph, along with Phoenician, Paleo-Hebrew, and Aramaic aleph show the development of a pictographic representation of "ox" being borrowed to use as a morpheme in an proper writing system. Which in turn gave rise to the Greek alpha, and Latin 'A'.

"That would mean God had to have invented a writing system for Adam to use, and to be frank that's, if not surpassing, at least bordering on the absurd."

So a God that when he speaks everything came into existence does not have the power to give Adam the ability to write? How is that absurd? He gave Adam thought, speech, consciousness, the ability to reason and make decisions, think, act, full emotions, ad infinitum. He was the pinnacle of mankind. But somehow God could not have given him this ability? Your logic is skewed. Just because there is no record of it, your evidence(or lack there of) does not mean it supersedes Gods ability's. "Nothing is impossible for God" When God created Adam he was complete so why would him having the ability to write seem so absurd?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So a God that when he speaks everything came into existence does not have the power to give Adam the ability to write? How is that absurd? He gave Adam thought, speech, consciousness, the ability to reason and make decisions, think, act, full emotions, ad infinitum. He was the pinnacle of mankind. But somehow God could not have given him this ability? Your logic is skewed. Just because there is no record of it, your evidence(or lack there of) does not mean it supersedes Gods ability's. "Nothing is impossible for God" When God created Adam he was complete so why would him having the ability to write seem so absurd?

If wild conjecture is acceptable. then perhaps God gave Adam a 1964 Camaro. I mean why couldn't God give Adam a 1964 Camaro?

It's not a question of Divine ability. God could and can do many things--but why should we think that God gave Adam the ability to read and write (and thus a writing system to use) any more than that God gave Adam a 1964 Camaro?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My modernized Tyndale New Testament is expected to arrive tomorrow. I can't wait to compare it to the KJV.

Tell me more - what is the translation called is it available online?

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Ancient of Days

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If wild conjecture is acceptable. then perhaps God gave Adam a 1964 Camaro. I mean why couldn't God give Adam a 1964 Camaro?

It's not a question of Divine ability. God could and can do many things--but why should we think that God gave Adam the ability to read and write (and thus a writing system to use) any more than that God gave Adam a 1964 Camaro?

-CryptoLutheran
You equate the ability of writing with wild conjecture? That's utterly absurd.

"It's not a question of Divine ability" That is not what you stated in your previous post.

"but why should we think that God gave Adam the ability to read and write" Why not? God had the ability to give that to Adam and Adam had the ability to comprehend it. Why is that so difficult for you to Fathom?

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
You equate the ability of writing with wild conjecture? That's utterly absurd.

"It's not a question of Divine ability" That is not what you stated in your previous post.

"but why should we think that God gave Adam the ability to read and write" Why not? God had the ability to give that to Adam and Adam had the ability to comprehend it. Why is that so difficult for you to Fathom?

To you both, @ViaCrucis and @Ancient of Days:

I believe they passed down verbal accounts through the generations. But at some time they did write as seen with hieroglyphics. And our oldest book is Job. What language was that written in? Anyone know? And was it pre-flood, or post-flood seeing as there are dinosaurs in chapters 40 and 41? Of course, Moses by the Spirit wrote all the passed down history of Genesis, and the next 4 books. But in what language seeing as he was raised in Egypt?

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My Bible of choice is the NKJV, just so I can read the KJV more easily. I'm not aware of any changes in meaning from this updated version of the KJV. Is anyone aware of any?

I choose the KJV and NKJV because of Romans 8:1 and 1 John 5:7. Tyndale's English version has them. I would like to see an updated Tyndale NT using modern spelling, instead of Spirit spelled Fpirit, etc. It takes a long time to read. I would like to compare it to the KJV to see how closely Erasmus used it and other sources for the KJV. (I think it was Erasmus...)
Well here is a huge one.
The Bible's Most Dangerous Translational Error

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

I believe when you read 1 Corinthians 5 and 2 Corinthians 2, you understand what that statement was for, about "turning one over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh (carnal nature), so that his spirit may be saved." It was shunning to drive them to repentance for the saving of their soul. It had noting to do with OSAS.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
logos Bible study software

Hello Gordon - I’ve looked at Logos a couple of times but it seems pretty pricey, is it worth the cost? What would you say are the main selling points?

Thanks

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello Gordon - I’ve looked at Logos a couple of times but it seems pretty pricey, is it worth the cost? What would you say are the main selling points?

Thanks

Hi Tom,

I was lucky I was first introduced to it while studying at university (which I still am doing) so I got a fairly good discount and I was able to pay in monthly installments. I don't know where to start - the interactive tools like the Psalms and Proverbs explorers the ability to search with some very powerful search filters, the word study, passage and sermon guides. I especially like the concordance tools and the original language interactives the allow you to drill in on a Greek or Hebrew word and see how it has been used elsewhere. I am currently studying the Synoptic Gospels so the parallel tool is very handy as well.

regards, Gordon

• Informative
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Tom,

I was lucky I was first introduced to it while studying at university (which I still am doing) so I got a fairly good discount and I was able to pay in monthly installments. I don't know where to start - the interactive tools like the Psalms and Proverbs explorers the ability to search with some very powerful search filters, the word study, passage and sermon guides. I especially like the concordance tools and the original language interactives the allow you to drill in on a Greek or Hebrew word and see how it has been used elsewhere. I am currently studying the Synoptic Gospels so the parallel tool is very handy as well.

regards, Gordon

Thanks. Might see if I can find a discount somewhere

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Here is a link to BAG online. Drawback it does not reproduce the Greek. Click on the Greek Name to see words beginning with that letter.
A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, Gingrich & Danker

A PDF of Brown, Driver, Briggs Hebrew lexicon can be DL at this link.

https://ia801707.us.archive.org/24/items/00825376.1523.emory.edu/00825376_1523.pdf

Thank you Der Alter for those valuable links. The link to A&G is the hard copy edition I have (limited edition by Zondervan), but with Greek characters.

Blessings to you for providing these links.

Oz

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Who is "they"? Egyptian hieroglyphs go back about 5,200 years. Sumerian cuneiform, about the same.

Hebrew, afaik.

Nope, no dinosaurs in Job.

So when do you believe dinosaurs went out of existence if you don't believe they were around in Job's day?

Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe when you read 1 Corinthians 5 and 2 Corinthians 2, you understand what that statement was for, about "turning one over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh (carnal nature), so that his spirit may be saved." It was shunning to drive them to repentance for the saving of their soul. It had noting to do with OSAS.
I believe not. That’s not the context nor what it directly says in the Greek.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So when do you believe dinosaurs went out of existence if you don't believe they were around in Job's day?

There still are dinosaurs today, we just usually call them birds. The non-avian dinosaurs went extinct at the end of the Cretaceous around 65 million years ago.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0