The Judgment Seat: can you decline rewards you earn?

AntiVillain

Jul 20, 2014
✟151,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
What if I turn out to be a "good and faithful servant"… but, for whatever reason (Hypothetical examples: (A) I don't want to do all that reigning/ruling. (B) I somehow identify with the unborn, who never got to earn any rewards), want the default/unrewarded experience?
Can I turn-down the rewards, recommend a different Believer, etc., or would He see it as rebellion?

Last edited:

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would not decline them... but I would declare them to the Lord as belonging to Him. It is only because of Him that we received these awards. But if He intends me to have them... thank you Lord I will keep them and display them to His Glory.

Upvote 0

johansen

Sep 13, 2023
silverdale
✟6,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I doubt anyone will want to give them up once available,

But i suspect many lose their reward for various things God had them do, because they talk too much about it afterwards.

For example, i have done something i have only heard one person in my life talk about. But i didnt like the way he spoke of what he did (at a church young adult group), and many professionals dont believe its possible. But i did, and may have the opportunity to do it again, and i wont be allowed to speak of it either.

If i were to boast about my spiritual powers, i would expect to lose my reward for the time and effort i put into these peoples lives, and i would do incalculable damage by enticing other people to try such things themselves.

In general, i have already talked too much, and over the years I've witnessed mixed reactions as a result of talking too much of my spiritual experiences. Some of them righteous, others not so much.

I have not thought much about letting go of my reward in heaven, but rather more darker thoughts. But i definitely get where OP is coming from.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,699.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What if I turn out to be a "good and faithful servant"… but, for whatever reason (Hypothetical examples: (A) I don't want to do all that reigning/ruling. (B) I somehow identify with the unborn, who never got to earn any rewards), want the default/unrewarded experience?
Can I not take the rewards, recommend a different Believer, etc., or would He see it as rebellion?

You are talking parable of the talents stuff in Matthew 25. You're thinking of being a 5-talent or 2-talent guy, and for sure not a 1-talent guy. What then?

Your talent status is not transferable.

Why?

The reason the 1-talent guy is killed is because he is too lazy to avoid the harvests (big wars) that are coming. He just dies along with everybody else when a big war (nuclear war) hits his country. You fled before the harvest hit your country and survived.

Who will flee before a harvest? I'm thinking something like .1% of the population will flee. You have to watch and be ready to flee, but this is intolerable to almost everyone.

After you get through the parable of the talents - the harvests, you have to get through the parable of the wise and foolish virgins which is also in Matthew 25. Don't be fooled by the fake bridegroom (fake Jesus, false prophet), but 50% of Christians will be fooled.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can I not take the rewards, recommend a different Believer, etc., or would He see it as rebellion?
The use of hyperbolic language is used quite frequently in scripture. I don't believe we are going to rule over each other nor do I believe there are things
like " rewards" (in a tangible sense) but rewards in a perfected sense without sin by every tear wiped away, in the New Jerusalem. I believe we will be perfected in Jesus Christ of Nazareth and will need no more or no less. Think about it. Those after rulership and rewards are not focused on Him, the King but on acquiring these things and that seems contrary to how a perfected being would be.

One more thing, the Beatitudes, blessings, are listed by Jesus Christ of Nazareth Himself. I read no rulership or rewards in the form of tangible things . The rewards are as follows in red.

3Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.
4Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the Earth.
6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be satisfied.
7Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called the Sons of God.
10Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.
11Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me.
12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you...

Blessings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Do not think so highly of yourself, you will be competing against, read Hebrews 11

Here is a sample.
And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson and Jephthah, about David and Samuel and the prophets, who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies. Women received back their dead, raised to life again. There were others who were tortured, refusing to be released so that they might gain an even better resurrection. Some faced jeers and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. They were put to death by stoning; they were sawed in two; they were killed by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated— the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, living in caves and in holes in the ground.

These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised, since God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

contratodo

Apr 26, 2015
✟20,330.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Extra rewards is what is preached, but what does 2 Corinthians 5 continue to say?

Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord we persuade men. 2 Corinthians 5:11

"For we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ;
that every one may receive the things done in his body,
according to that he has done, whether it be good or bad.
Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord we persuade men." 2 Corinthians 5:10-11

That is the passage, it is about the terror of the Lord, not an award ceremony.

"Be not deceived, God is not mocked,
for whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap.
For he that sows to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption.
but he that sows to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting."
Galatians 6:7-8

The contrast is corruption/life everlasting,
not life everlasting/life everlasting with extra rewards.

Upvote 0