Sep 18, 2010
✟886,360.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One of the big problems with Calvinism is that you can't know that Jesus died for you without looking at your own faith. How can you trust in Jesus death for you on the cross without knowing he died for you? And the only way for a Calvinist to know for sure is checking his/her own faith. So to me Calvinism starts in the wrong end.

As a Lutheran everything starts at the cross. I know I'm redeemded because Jesus died for all men on the cross. That's the fact, that's where a Lutheran starts. Even if I can't find faith in myself I still know Jesus died for me, and that is a real blessing.

One day we all will lay there waiting for the end. In that moment I don't want there to be any doubt about the fact that Jesus has died for me. If that fact is depending on my faith, where can I find shelter if there is uncertainty in my heart?

eldios

May 12, 2017
San Franscisco
✟1,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
One of the big problems with Calvinism is that you can't know that Jesus died for you without looking at your own faith. How can you trust in Jesus death for you on the cross without knowing he died for you? And the only way for a Calvinist to know for sure is checking his/her own faith. So to me Calvinism starts in the wrong end.

As a Lutheran everything starts at the cross. I know I'm redeemded because Jesus died for all men on the cross. That's the fact, that's where a Lutheran starts. Even if I can't find faith in myself I still know Jesus died for me, and that is a real blessing.

One day we all will lay there waiting for the end. In that moment I don't want there to be any doubt about the fact that Jesus has died for me. If that fact is depending on my faith, where can I find shelter if there is uncertainty in my heart?

As a body birthed into this world by parents who called themselves Lutherans, I know what they believe in. As a servant of God who has testified to His knowledge called Christ, I know everything else that Lutherans or any other Christian do not understand.

• Haha
Reactions: Tangible
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Where does justification fit within your theology? "Saved" is a word that has various definitions within soteriology.

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

If your presuppositions make feel secure, then more power to ya. But, here is a fact for you to consider;

Jesus said:

"I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep." ~ John 10:14-15

Now, If the Lutheran view is correct, then Jesus' sheep must be "all men". However, if you read all of John chapter 10, you will see that can not be true.

Read carefully, and think clearly.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

I've heard of this valid criticism of Calvinism, and corresponding strength of Lutheran theology. It's true that the cross should always be our central focus, especially in times of doubts about our faith. However, parts of the Bible (especially the New Testament) are focused on a believer honestly examining his life choices. We can't look past ourselves to the cross, if we're knowingly living an unrepentant lifestyle.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If your presuppositions make feel secure, then more power to ya. But, here is a fact for you to consider;

Jesus said:

"I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep." ~ John 10:14-15

Now, If the Lutheran view is correct, then Jesus' sheep must be "all men". However, if you read all of John chapter 10, you will see that can not be true.

How is starting with Jesus in faith saying that Jesus sheep is all men?

Is this the best that Calvinism can do?

I like your plea to think clearly. Have you thought it through?

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,360.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Jesus said:

In one sense he lays down for his life for the sheep, because only those that becomes his sheep will be saved. In the other sense he lays down his life for all men, since he died for the whole world (John 3:16)

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
In one sense he lays down for his life for the sheep, because only those that becomes his sheep will be saved. In the other sense he lays down his life for all men, since he died for the whole world (John 3:16)
That would be fine if the scripture actually said that. But nothing in John 10 says that He died for potential sheep.

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
He lays down his life for the sheep. And, yes, the sheep are the one's who will believe.

Sheep = believer

Now, if we translate that to John 3:16 we get this:

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him (the sheep) should not perish but have eternal life."

Nothing here about non-sheep.

If you read John 10:16 you see what is meant by "the world":

"And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd."

So, it's not just the sheep of Israel, but the sheep from everywhere (the world).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If you read John 10:16 you see what is meant by "the world":

"And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd."

So, it's not just the sheep of Israel, but the sheep from everywhere (the world).
That is not even what this verse is saying or who it is about.

The two flocks are Jews and the Gentiles. Gentiles are the ones that will hear His voice.

Notice that Both are SHEEP pens. Two sheep pens. Not of the same flock.

Upvote 0