Nov 18, 2003
Midwest
Visit site
✟4,736.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
I finally checked out the new Neko Case, and love the song "Star Witness".

----------------------------------------

I don't know if I've already mentioned it, but I've really fallen for Devendra as of late. After watching some interviews via youtube.com, I've fallen for his acid-tripped out craziness. I recently burnt a friend a mix of tunes, which comprised of (in order of my favorites):

1. The Body Breaks
2. Little Yellow Spider
3. Nice People
4. A Ribbon
5. Heard Somebody Say
6. At the Hop
7. This Beard is for Siobhan
8. Now that I Know
9. Rejoicing in the Hands
10. It's a Sight to Behold
11. Fall
12. The Charles C. Leary
13. Wake Up, Little Sparrow
14. Insect Eyes
15. When the Sun Shone on Vetiver
16. Chinese Children
17. Be Kind
18. Michigan State
19. This is the Way
20. Little Boys
21. Autumn's Child
22. There Was Sun
23. Long Haired Child
24. Surgery I Stole

---------------------------------------------------

The Caribou/Manitoba DVD is amazing. I know I already mentioned this, but I can't get over the depth that the videos add to the songs. I know he wasn't solely responsible for the videos, but Dan Snaith is one of the most creative people currently involved in music, IMO.

Upvote 0

The Theory

Bagpipes well could he blow.
May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
blackwasp said:
I finally checked out the new Neko Case, and love the song "Star Witness".
'bout time, punk. That is definitely one of my favorite tracks.

but Daniel Smith is one of the most creative people currently involved in music, IMO.
I fixed that for you to be more accurate.
;)

Upvote 0

blackwasp

Skinless
Nov 18, 2003
Midwest
Visit site
✟4,736.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
The Theory said:
I fixed that for you to be more accurate.
;)

Pah, I like the Danielson Famile, but they haven't released anything that really stands out for me. However, if "Did You Step on My Trumpet" is anything like the rest of the material on the new album, I'm going to be excited.

Honestly though, have you seen the videos on the Caribou dvd? Ridiculous...

Upvote 0

philN

Veteran
Mar 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
✟2,713.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did I Step On Your Trumpet is probably the best thing Daniel Smith has ever written.

The Ships album is good -- but it was a bit of a letdown in terms of what I was expecting to hear when all those who collaborated actually got together and made music.

That's not to say the album is bad, it's just not as mind-blowing as I thought it would be after hearing Did I Step On Your Trumpet.

That said, Jacob, if you haven't checked out Fetch the Compass Kids, you should probably do so at some point. I think that is my favorite Danielson album to date.

Side note: Radiohead tickets go on sale tomorrow. And while I realize I have as good a chance as anyone at getting ahold of them -- I am really worried that they are going to sell out within the first few seconds and I am not going to get to see them.

Eh, maybe the gods will smile upon me.

Upvote 0

antiarte

Jan 18, 2005
communist russia
✟3,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm starting to hate Radiohead. They never come to Miami. Last time they came to West Palm Beach, about an hour and a half from here, which I couldn't go because I had work the next day and had to get up early....I ended up selling the tickets. If it was here I would've been able to go!!! Crap, even obscure Finnish gothic bands make it here, but not them. Freakin divas! The only artists that come here are rappers and salsa/merengue groups and those looks-like-goth-but-sounds-like-emo bands. Oh, and reggaeton now.

Anyways, has anyone seen the video for "At The Bottom of Everything"? i friggin love that song and the video....but I still can't stand Bright Eyes. His other songs still suck.

blackwasp said:
2. Little Yellow Spider
Great song.

Upvote 0

The Theory

Bagpipes well could he blow.
May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
yeah... though, that's hardly indie, phil.
let's stay on topic, shall we?

I'm about ready to murder the Danielson Ships crew because the pre-orders were supposed to ship on tuesday, but mine hasn't arrived yet... and what is the point of pre-ordering if I can't have it 3 to 4 days before everyone else??

Upvote 0

blackwasp

Skinless
Nov 18, 2003
Midwest
Visit site
✟4,736.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
^I didn't know the release date was coming up that quickly. If I had more than $0.30 currently, I'd have to pick it up.

I had my last final of the semester this morning, and stayed up the majority of the night listening to Eels' Blinking Lights and Other Revelations. I've enjoyed "Railroad Man" and "Understanding Salesmen" from the beginning, but I'm really digging it now. I can't believe it didn't get better reviews (from Pitchfork at least).

Upvote 0

philN

Veteran
Mar 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
✟2,713.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jacob --
I saw your post on Decap about the Streets.

Do you really dislike the new album that much?

I love the production on Hardest Way, and while I agree the songs aren't relatable like his last albums, I think it's an interesting look into into the mind of an egotistic musician.

Granted, if the rest of his albums are written in a similar vein, I may take issue, but contextually in the scope of Mike Skinners career, I think an album like this is excusable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Apr 8, 2004
Schwandorf, Germany
✟9,369.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You guys are all pretty hip, so I was wondering if you ever heard of ZEN/Christ Ltd. Records? I think they are only avaialble at Bleaker Street Records and maybe St. Marks Records. Possibly some other NYC record shops. Anyway, they have a band called Christian Defenestration who used to be an industrial noise group with a decidedly anti-religion slant: but now they are very Christian, though still pretty anti-religion.
There isn't anything about them on the internet except that the writer/producer used to be in the band Crocodile Shop, but I thought this being the "Indy Thread" you guys might have heard of them.

Upvote 0

blackwasp

Skinless
Nov 18, 2003
Midwest
Visit site
✟4,736.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
philN said:
Jacob --
I saw your post on Decap about the Streets.

Do you really dislike the new album that much?

I love the production on Hardest Way, and while I agree the songs aren't relatable like his last albums, I think it's an interesting look into into the mind of an egotistic musician.

Granted, if the rest of his albums are written in a similar vein, I may take issue, but contextually in the scope of Mike Skinners career, I think an album like this is excusable.

Well, I agree that the production is top notch, but I can't really get into any of the songs beyond a good beat or a funny lyric ("If love is blind then why do we all buy lingerie?"). I loved the Mike Skinner on A Grand Don't Come for Free. I was probably just expecting too much. Then again, I've only listened to the album a few times, so it may grow on me.

Upvote 0
Apr 8, 2004
Schwandorf, Germany
✟9,369.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
brotherChristian said:
You guys are all pretty hip, so I was wondering if you ever heard of ZEN/Christ Ltd. Records? I think they are only avaialble at Bleaker Street Records and maybe St. Marks Records. Possibly some other NYC record shops. Anyway, they have a band called Christian Defenestration who used to be an industrial noise group with a decidedly anti-religion slant: but now they are very Christian, though still pretty anti-religion.
There isn't anything about them on the internet except that the writer/producer used to be in the band Crocodile Shop, but I thought this being the "Indy Thread" you guys might have heard of them.

No takers, eh? OK, how about Psychic TV's 'Allegory and Self?' What about Love you Dead, an anti-Christian band in NYC who became Christian? I guess you guys just know about stuff from the last decade or so? Nothin' wrong with that, but keep in mind ther were some old guys (many of them, dead) there before you who paved the way.

Upvote 0

antiarte

Jan 18, 2005
communist russia
✟3,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Haven't heard of them, nor the other bands mentioned before. Whatever.

And about The Streets- I'm going to go download some. I wasn't feeling their previous work, except for "The Irony of it All". Loved that song.
I still to have to catch up to a bunch of music. I'm just getting into Broken Social Scene, which btw, are just okay, imo. But their song "Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl" is just too good. I've played the **** out of it.
I'm still playing the crap out of DangerDoom's The Mouse & The Mask, and can't wait to get my hands on that Gnarles Barkley album.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blackwasp

Skinless
Nov 18, 2003
Midwest
Visit site
✟4,736.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
antiarte said:
And about The Streets- I'm going to go download some. I wasn't feeling their previous work, except for "The Irony of it All". Loved that song.

I think A Grand Don't Come for Free is a must have. "Could Well Be In" is my favorite track, but "Dry Your Eyes", "Empty Cans", and "Wouldn't Have it Any Other Way" are all outstanding. In all honesty, you just have to listen to that album from start to finish.

antiarte said:
I still to have to catch up to a bunch of music. I'm just getting into Broken Social Scene, which btw, are just okay, imo. But their song "Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl" is just too good. I've played the **** out of it.

I have to list a bunch of favorites for a staff page at antimusic.com, and Anthems is going to be my #1 song ("Svefn-G-Englar" by Sigur Ros #2). I can't, and never will, get sick of that song.

antiarte said:
I'm still playing the crap out of DangerDoom's The Mouse & The Mask, and can't wait to get my hands on that Gnarles Barkley album.

You have to download "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley. I've been listening to that nearly nonstop.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UDPiIIckeGY&search=gnarls%20barkley

phil said:
I agree with the Broken Social Scene thing -- they tend to be hit-or-miss for the most part. Though I will say, You Forgot It In People contains very few of said misses.

Yep, that's a nearly flawless album. I couldn't get into their latest release for the most part, but "Shoreline" was fantastic.

Upvote 0

antiarte

Jan 18, 2005
communist russia
✟3,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
blackwasp said:
I have to list a bunch of favorites for a staff page at antimusic.com, and Anthems is going to be my #1 song ("Svefn-G-Englar" by Sigur Ros #2). I can't, and never will, get sick of that song.
I sent the blank e-mail to antimusic.com but never got to write the review. :) Got too much work going on, and I got material ready to record. But I'm not so good at writing reviews anyways. For me an album is either mindblowing, great, okay, or sucks-ass.

Btw, anyone's heard of Lucinda Williams? She sings right through my ****ing self-worthlessness. Whatever that means. I just love her. Her album Essence is just amazing.

And that Gnarl Barkley-- awesome. I listened to You Forgot It In People. "Almost Crimes" is stuck in my head now. And the video with the girl moving to the song. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

philN

Veteran
Mar 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
✟2,713.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Gnarles Barkley has been my recent obsession. Crazy is an effin' catchy song. Like, I constantly have it stuck in my head.

There's a live video on YouTube of them playing on Top of the Pops and it is great. Like, really great.

I feel like things have been sort of dead around here lately. Is it just a summer thing or are people losing interest or what? Either way, that should change. Someone give me some recommendations post-haste -- I want some summery music.

Upvote 0

antiarte

Jan 18, 2005
communist russia
✟3,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Upvote 0