Pacific NW
✟246,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
I was reading about a filing North Carolina made recently to the Supreme Court. See here:

North Carolina Republicans Ask SCOTUS To Cripple Voting Rights in Every State (msn.com)

North Carolina would like the Supreme Court to enact the "Independent State Legislature" theory, which would effectively take the state courts out of the election process. The state legislatures would be able to do anything they want with the election, even if it violates their own state constitutions. The idea being that the US Constitution grants the state legislatures the right to select electors any way they want, and the US Constitution trumps the state constitutions.

Personally, I think this is a fatally flawed idea. The election provisions in the state constitutions are ultimately there because of the state legislatures. The legislatures either crafted the provisions themselves, or enabled the provisions to be made. If they want to change those provisions, then they can work to change their constitutions, and not try to bypass them.

I don't think there are enough SCOTUS justices who sympathize with this, so I think the Supreme Court will throw it out.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was reading about a filing North Carolina made recently to the Supreme Court. See here:

North Carolina Republicans Ask SCOTUS To Cripple Voting Rights in Every State (msn.com)

North Carolina would like the Supreme Court to enact the "Independent State Legislature" theory, which would effectively take the state courts out of the election process. The state legislatures would be able to do anything they want with the election, even if it violates their own state constitutions. The idea being that the US Constitution grants the state legislatures the right to select electors any way they want, and the US Constitution trumps the state constitutions.

Personally, I think this is a fatally flawed idea. The election provisions in the state constitutions are ultimately there because of the state legislatures. The legislatures either crafted the provisions themselves, or enabled the provisions to be made. If they want to change those provisions, then they can work to change their constitutions, and not try to bypass them.

I don't think there are enough SCOTUS justices who sympathize with this, so I think the Supreme Court will throw it out.
I feel another Civics lesson coming on ...

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Prophesy is fickle.

Upvote 0