Manhattan, KS
✟190,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well if you are a Christian then you already have the Holy Spirit. The answer to your question though is pretty simple, of course its scary to seek something you may not know a lot about. Ask God about it, read some scriptures concerning the Holy Spirit and God's promises of Him. Joel 2:28-32; Luke 11:9-13; John 14-16; Acts

God understands and doesn't hold it against you, ask Him to alleviate your fears and seek Him! He is more willing to answer you than you are willing to ask.

PS thank you very much for the happy birthday wishes. God bless you!

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟904,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well if you are a Christian then you already have the Holy Spirit. The answer to your question though is pretty simple, of course its scary to seek something you may not know a lot about. Ask God about it, read some scriptures concerning the Holy Spirit and God's promises of Him. Joel 2:28-32; Luke 11:9-13; John 14-16; Acts

God understands and doesn't hold it against you, ask Him to alleviate your fears and seek Him! He is more willing to answer you than you are willing to ask.

PS thank you very much for the happy birthday wishes. God bless you!

I am just not at all keen on the shaking that sometimes comes with it when the Spirit feels you reminds me a little too much of seizures (which I suffer from) for my liking.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟190,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am just not at all keen on the shaking that sometimes comes with it when the Spirit feels you reminds me a little too much of seizures (which I suffer from) for my liking.

How do you know youll get seizures/shakes? The Holy Spirit may or may not manifest Himself at that moment ya know. I didn't have any manifestations when I was baptized in the Holy Spirit. No worries, give it God your Father. He cares more for you than you ever know.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟904,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
How do you know youll get seizures/shakes? The Holy Spirit may or may not manifest Himself at that moment ya know. I didn't have any manifestations when I was baptized in the Holy Spirit. No worries, give it God your Father. He cares more for you than you ever know.
I understand that it may not happen that way, but the mere that it can and then start speaking in tongues just that mere fact freaks me out.

Upvote 0
You have the Holy Spirit when you become Born Again. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit, which is evidenced by speaking in tongues, comes when you ask God for it and it nothing to be scared of.

Pray over it and ask God for His guidance. I will also pray for you.

What you say is not scriptural so why do you say it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh sorry just a question, so if you are in a pentacostal forum scripture no longer has any authority?

haha - the issue you raise is one of hairsplitting perception .

God is spirit to believe in him is to believe he "IS"
but there is plenty of reference to the promise of the "baptism of the Holy Spirit"
as a single event with a starting point in ones life .
it raises the other debates of whether one is saved if one has not received the Baptism of the Holy Ghost.

I would say this is up to God to decide and not us . as every one he calls ..that then hearkens to his call , he will lead , sooner or later . to the baptism of the holy Ghost as he promised .
so a person is not saved or unsaved based on whether that have or have not received the promise .. but rather ,on whether they have believed or not believed in the word of God the father has sent - being the Lord Jesus_

we must not ever forget - the only reason the scriptures give us for not receiving promises given .. is "Unbelief "

Upvote 0
haha - the issue you raise is one of hairsplitting perception .

God is spirit to believe in him is to believe he "IS"
but there is plenty of reference to the promise of the "baptism of the Holy Spirit"
as a single event with a starting point in ones life .
it raises the other debates of whether one is saved if one has not received the Baptism of the Holy Ghost.

I would say this is up to God to decide and not us . as every one he calls ..that then hearkens to his call , he will lead , sooner or later . to the baptism of the holy Ghost as he promised .
so a person is not saved or unsaved based on whether that have or have not received the promise .. but rather ,on whether they have believed or not believed in the word of God the father has sent - being the Lord Jesus_

we must not ever forget - the only reason the scriptures give us for not receiving promises given .. is "Unbelief "

Id comment but ive been chastised for debating, so ill post my thoughts in a more appropriate thread, feel free tk comment there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brittany111

Feb 18, 2012
TX
✟7,958.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am a little AFRAID of getting it. Is this OK?

The Holy Spirit is nothing to be afraid of. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God and the third person of the trinity. If you trust in Jesus and believe in the Father then you have nothing to fear in the Holy Spirit. According to scripture (and I can personally attest that this is true for me) He is a comforter, guide and ever present helper for believers.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"What you say is not scriptural so why do you say it?"

Sounds scriptural to me, so no problem.

There is the "Oneness" heresy that requires "Tongues" before they'll allow you to have the "Holy Spirit", but that's only ONE thing they're dead wrong about.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟52,126.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Oh sorry just a question, so if you are in a pentacostal forum scripture no longer has any authority?
Considering that classic-Pentecostals believe that the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is subsequent to salvation and that the BHS must be evidenced by speaking in tongues; this means that you probably should have qualified your remark along with saying why you believe it is wrong.

If I can ask, why do you believe that the classic-Pentecostal position is incorrect - mind you, there is also a pentecostal position on this question which is different to that of the Pentecostal viewpoint.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Id comment but ive been chastised for debating, so ill post my thoughts in a more appropriate thread, feel free tk comment there.

well i haven't really seen you debate here on this thread - but yes , siigh they are sticklers for holding the strings

Upvote 0
Considering that classic-Pentecostals believe that the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is subsequent to salvation and that the BHS must be evidenced by speaking in tongues; this means that you probably should have qualified your remark along with saying why you believe it is wrong.

If I can ask, why do you believe that the classic-Pentecostal position is incorrect - mind you, there is also a pentecostal position on this question which is different to that of the Pentecostal viewpoint.

Ive opened a thread about this in s more appropriate forum as ive been chastised for debating here please do go im very intersted in this topic, and as I go to a chrasmatic church and my pastor can do no better than you'll get it eventually im a little chagrined.

Upvote 0