The Holy Father has relieved from the pastoral governance of the Diocese of Tyler (U.S.A.) H.E. Msgr. Joseph E. Strickland

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There are indeed strange, dark, contradictory times.
Strange days indeed.

This adds a whole new twist to 'Roma locuta, causa finita'.

This news was 'expected' but hit me like a ton of bricks nonetheless.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
What exactly was that recommendation based on? And what is to happen to the apostolic apostolate into which Bp Strickland was ordained? and from which it appears he has now been "out-synagogued" (Gk ἀποσυνάγωγος - aposunagōgos).

As the man born blind, made to see by Jesus, who refused to deny before the "Authorities" the holy reality of Truth, was cast out of the synagogue:

Not exactly "synodal" to be "out-synagogued" and not "accompanied" for the audacious suggestion that the Emperor might be speaking, acting and standing without the covering he assumed he was clothed with.
The Church must be open to everyone, everyone, everyone except those pope Francis doesn't like. Bishop Tyler can take a hike.

I wonder if that 'bishop of bling' that got removed in 2013 was removed for some other reason than was given at the time? Was he secretly too orthodox? I wonder now.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You can post about Vigano here. It is part of Catholic news and what’s goi v on within the Church. Agree or disagree.
Thanks for the clarification. :blush:

You are always very thorough in your reporting of current events.
Occasionally, something does come my way that you haven't yet shared,
so I'm inclined to post and share it. Like the statement by Vigano.

With regards to Vigano, he has said and done things that I agree with.
But he remains abit of a mysterious person to me, and generally speaks with much anger,
and so I try to be very discerning when reading his stuff.

Because I post something about him, by him, does not mean I'm promoting or endorsing him or his behavior, unless I indicate so.
He's just one of several interesting persons who isn't afraid to publicly address current events.

I don't doubt that many others have opinions.
But we are seeing how dangerous it can be to one's 'career', to publicly voice them.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the clarification. :blush:

You are always very thorough in your reporting of current events.
Occasionally, something does come my way that you haven't yet shared,
so I'm inclined to post and share it. Like the statement by Vigano.

With regards to Vigano, he has said and done things that I agree with.
But he remains abit of a mysterious person to me, and generally speaks with much anger,
and so I try to be very discerning when reading his stuff.

Because I post something about him, by him, does not mean I'm promoting or endorsing him or his behavior, unless I indicate so.
He's just one of several interesting persons who isn't afraid to publicly address current events.

I don't doubt that many others have opinions.
But we are seeing how dangerous it can be to one's 'career', to publicly voice them.
In the beginning I thought he was very courageous speaking out. But there are times he seems a bit off the rails as times goes on. Anyway, the whole gossip thing about his brother and being angry he was not made a Cardinal.. ignore it. A lot of the sources with this stuff is very Leftist just as articles are accused of being very Rightwing or Rad Trad, etc. You are very wise to use your discernment and research. It’s really two sides of the same coin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Strange days indeed.

This adds a whole new twist to 'Roma locuta, causa finita'.

This news was 'expected' but hit me like a ton of bricks nonetheless.
That was exactly my experience, chevy. I could see it coming, I thought, but when it did I still could not quite believe it. I still struggle to integrate it into reality. My poor soul is crying out - Lord! How can this BE! But it is real, and here, and now, and God created us knowing these times would be.
Now, I ask myself, and Him, what am I to do? So far, I remember the words of Jesus always true: "You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." -- "Perfect"- Gk teleios: complete, mature, of full age, perfect.
Now is the time, I'm hearing, to end all tepidity, worldliness, two-soulness (dual citizenship with both world and the City of God). And to pray into union with God.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

• Informative
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Bishop Strickland Calls for 'Respectful' Procession Amid Anger Towards Pope​

A conservative bishop who was dismissed by Pope Francis has called for an upcoming march to show support for him to be peaceful.

In a brief statement on Saturday, the Vatican said Francis had removed Bishop Joseph Strickland of the pastoral governance of Tyler, Texas, and appointed the bishop of Austin as the temporary administrator.

Strickland has been a vocal critic of Francis in recent months, particularly of the pope's attempt to make the church more welcoming to the LGBTQ+ community. He accused the pope on social media earlier this year of "undermining the deposit of faith."

Francis in August called out the "backwardness" of some Catholic conservatives in the U.S., saying that they had replaced faith with political ideology.

Strickland's firing following a Vatican investigation sparked an immediate outcry and thousands have signed a petition backing him.

On Sunday, Catholic group Knights of the Republic announced a march in Tyler to show support for Strickland.

"Join us on Saturday, Nov 18th in Tyler, TX for a Rosary Procession in defense of Holy Mother Church and Bishop Strickland," the group wrote on Facebook.

"I pray that this effort is prayerful, respectful and focused on Jesus," Strickland wrote in a post on X, formerly Twitter.

"He is the only support I need and I feel the profound embrace of His Sacred Heart. I appreciate the vigorous faith this is inspired by but please remember I am nothing, Jesus is everything. Viva Cristo Rey!"

Newsweek has contacted Strickland for comment via social media. Knights of the Republic has been contacted for comment via email.

The Vatican's brief statement did not give a reason for Strickland's dismissal. But Strickland told the conservative website LifeSiteNews on Saturday that one of the reasons was his refusal to implement Francis' 2021 restrictions on celebrating the old Latin Mass.

"I stand by all the things that were listed as complaints against me," he told the website, adding that he refused to implement the restrictions because "I can't starve out part of my flock."

He added: "I'd do it the same way again. I feel very much at peace in the Lord and the truth that he died for."

The Vatican has been contacted for comment via email.

Earlier this year, the Vatican sent in investigators to look into Strickland's governance of the diocese. Catholic media outlets reported that the investigation included a review of his handling of financial affairs.

The two Vatican investigators sent in to investigate Strickland "conducted an exhaustive inquiry into all aspects of the governance and leadership of the diocese," Cardinal Daniel DiNardo of Galveston-Houston said in a statement.

The Vatican did not release the findings of the investigation, but DiNardo said the recommendation was made to Francis that "the continuation in office of Bishop Strickland was not feasible.

"After months of careful consideration by the dicastery for Bishops and the holy father, the decision was reached that the resignation of Bishop Strickland should be requested.

"Having been presented with that request on November 9, 2023, Bishop Strickland declined to resign from office. Thereafter, on November 11, 2023, the pope removed Bishop Strickland from the office of bishop of Tyler."

The diocese of Tyler confirmed Strickland's removal in a statement on Saturday.

"Our work as the Catholic church in northeast Texas continues," the statement said. "Our mission is to share the gospel of Jesus Christ, to foster an authentic Christian community, and to serve the needs of all people with compassion and love."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“The one charge which is now sure to secure severe punishment is the careful keeping of the traditions of the Fathers.” These words of St. Basil (Ep. 243) can most aptly illustrate the deposition of the Bishop of Tyler, TX/USA, His Excellency Joseph E. Strickland. The deposition of Bishop Joseph E. Strickland signifies a black day for the Catholic Church of our day. We are witnessing a blatant injustice towards a bishop who did his duty in preaching and defending with parrhesia the immutable Catholic faith and morals and in promoting the sacredness of the liturgy, especially in the immemorial traditional rite of the Mass. All understand, and even the declared enemies of this Confessor Bishop, that the accusations brought against him are ultimately insubstantial and disproportionate and were used as a welcome opportunity to silence an uncomfortable prophetic voice within the Church.

What happened to the Bishops during the Arian crisis in the 4th century, who were deposed and exiled only because they intrepidly preached the traditional Catholic Faith, is again happening in our day. At the same time several Bishops, who publicly support heresy, liturgical abuses, gender ideology and openly invite their priests to bless same-sex couples, are not in the least importuned or sanctioned by the Holy See.

Continued below.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If they had a good reason to fire him then they should have up and given that good reason.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married