The Holy Father has relieved from the pastoral governance of the Diocese of Tyler (U.S.A.) H.E. Msgr. Joseph E. Strickland

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
via the Holy See’s daily bulletin:
The Holy Father has relieved from the pastoral governance of the Diocese of Tyler (U.S.A.) H.E. Msgr. Joseph E. Strickland and appointed the Bishop of Austin, H.E. Msgr. Joe Vásquez, [Bishop of Austin] as the Apostolic Administrator of the vacated diocese.
A related issue:
Does anyone understand why both of the bishops were entitled "Msgr" here in this official announcement? Were Strickland and Vasquez de-ordained Bishop?

Comments on the injustice are appreciated.

Link.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
OK this from the Vatican Press Office uses the title "Bishop" for both:

Removal of bishop of Tyler, U.S.A., and appointment of apostolic administrator

The Holy Father has removed Bishop Joseph E. Strickland from the pastoral care of the diocese of Tyler, United States of America, and has appointed Bishop Joe Vásquez of Austin as apostolic administrator of the same diocese, rendering it sede vacante.

I thought maybe the Vatican was adding insult to injury - I was wrong. They (he) was only working injury, no insult intended.

:(

I apologize.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

EXCLUSIVE: Bishop Strickland reacts to removal by Pope Francis: ‘I feel very much at peace’​

TYLER, Texas (LifeSiteNews) –– Early this morning, the Vatican released the shocking news that Pope Francis has “relieved” Bishop Joseph Strickland of his position as bishop of the Diocese of Tyler.

Knowing that Bishop Strickland is up very early, I ventured to give him a call moments after the news came down that Pope Francis had removed him. But he answered, obviously awake already. Noon, Rome time, is when he was removed but for him that translates into 5 a.m. in Texas.

I’m interviewing him later today, but I wanted to give you a little of His Excellency’s first reaction. I was awkward, speechless, and at a loss for what to say other than telling this great man of the love and thanks that the faithful have for his heroic witness to Christ and His unchanging Truth.

Bishop Strickland started with a prayer before we spoke, then he let me know said he was a little dazed but at peace. Here is a snippet of our conversation which will continue in our interview later today.

Bishop Strickland said:

I stand by all the things that were listed as complaints against me. I know I didn’t implement Traditionis Custodes [the Pope Francis decree restricting the Traditional Latin Mass] because I can’t starve out part of my flock.
He added, “I’d do it the same way again. I feel very much at peace in the Lord and the Truth that He died for.”

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pope Francis removed Bishop Joseph Strickland of Tyler, Texas, from his post Saturday after he refused to resign, according to Galveston-Houston archbishop Cardinal Daniel DiNardo.

Bishop Strickland’s ouster on Nov. 11 comes after the Vatican Dicastery for Bishops completed a formal investigation in the diocese earlier this year called an apostolic visitation, which, according to a source, looked into the bishop’s social media use and questions related to diocesan management. The visitation was carried out by Bishop Dennis Sullivan of Camden, New Jersey, and Bishop Emeritus Gerald Kicanas of Tucson, Arizona.

Continued below.

Upvote 0

joymercy

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟251,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Dear Fide,

Thanks for the thread. As for me, all I know is that things like this are too much for me to even begin to know what to do about, other than to just keep on the path, following Jesus as the Way, the Truth and the Life.

I will just keep deepening my faith, and offer up my sorrows to His cross in reparation for sins.

And of course, stay in prayer, and keep on doing spiritual readings to gain more understanding of this very rich and beautiful faith and its traditions.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Were Strickland and Vasquez de-ordained Bishop?
Not ontologically possible.

It's unfortunate that we now have a totalitarian Pope after two popes who suffered under totalitarian regimes and fought strongly against totalitarianism. This is the sort of nonsense that was rubberstamped at Vatican I. Francis is an ultramontanist par excellence.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dear Fide,

Thanks for the thread. As for me, all I know is that things like this are too much for me to even begin to know what to do about, other than to just keep on the path, following Jesus as the Way, the Truth and the Life.

I will just keep deepening my faith, and offer up my sorrows to His cross in reparation for sins.

And of course, stay in prayer, and keep on doing spiritual readings to gain more understanding of this very rich and beautiful faith and its traditions.
This "offering up" in reparation for sins and offensives against the Holy is a deeply mystical truth of our faith, not well understood or accepted in our time, I think, but true. And important for the good of the mystical Body, and Bride. It is a reality we Catholics today fail to acknowledge or receive soberly, numbed somewhat, perhaps, by the shallowness and self-centered culture we are immersed in. The example of the three children of Fatima, who were so eager to sacrifice and suffer for the "poor sinners", have much to teach us.

Not ontologically possible.

It's unfortunate that we now have a totalitarian Pope after two popes who suffered under totalitarian regimes and fought strongly against totalitarianism. This is the sort of nonsense that was rubberstamped at Vatican I. Francis is an ultramontanist par excellence.
No, I wasn't asking about the ontological reality, only the administrative categorizing they might be using. How do you understand the way the first note from the Vatican Press office was written, concerning "His Excellency Monsignor ... Strickland"?

There are indeed strange, dark, contradictory times.

Reactions: joymercy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Pope Francis removed Bishop Joseph Strickland of Tyler, Texas, from his post Saturday after he refused to resign, according to Galveston-Houston archbishop Cardinal Daniel DiNardo.

Bishop Strickland’s ouster on Nov. 11 comes after the Vatican Dicastery for Bishops completed a formal investigation in the diocese earlier this year called an apostolic visitation, which, according to a source, looked into the bishop’s social media use and questions related to diocesan management. The visitation was carried out by Bishop Dennis Sullivan of Camden, New Jersey, and Bishop Emeritus Gerald Kicanas of Tucson, Arizona.

Continued below.

Included is this quote I find very suspicious (I've put into bold):
As a result of the visitation, the recommendation was made to the Holy Father that the continuation in office of Bishop Strickland was not feasible,” Cardinal DiNardo said in his Nov. 11 statement.

“After months of careful consideration by the Dicastery for Bishops and the Holy Father, the decision was reached that the resignation of Bishop Strickland should be requested,” Cardinal DiNardo continued. “Having been presented with that request on Nov. 9, 2023, Bishop Strickland declined to resign from office. Thereafter, on Nov. 11, 2023, the Holy Father removed Bishop Strickland from the Office of Bishop of Tyler.”
What exactly was that recommendation based on? And what is to happen to the apostolic apostolate into which Bp Strickland was ordained? and from which it appears he has now been "out-synagogued" (Gk ἀποσυνάγωγος - aposunagōgos).

As the man born blind, made to see by Jesus, who refused to deny before the "Authorities" the holy reality of Truth, was cast out of the synagogue:
John 9:34 .... "You were born in utter sin, and would you teach us?" And they cast him out [of the synagogue].
Not exactly "synodal" to be "out-synagogued" and not "accompanied" for the audacious suggestion that the Emperor might be speaking, acting and standing without the covering he assumed he was clothed with.
Rev 3:17 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing; not knowing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.
Rev 3:18 Therefore I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, that you may be rich, and white garments to clothe you and to keep the shame of your nakedness from being seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, that you may see.
Rev 3:19 Those whom I love, I reprove and chasten; so be zealous and repent.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(OSV News) — Pope Francis has “relieved” Bishop Joseph E. Strickland from the pastoral governance of the Diocese of Tyler, Texas, the Holy See Press Office announced Nov. 11. Simultaneously, Francis has appointed Bishop Joe S. Vásquez of Austin as apostolic administrator to oversee the diocese until a new bishop is appointed.

No reason was given for Bishop Strickland’s removal, although speculation about his future in the diocese has swirled for months following the bishop’s May 12 post on Twitter (now known as X), accusing the pontiff of “undermining the deposit of faith.”

The pope’s decision followed an address given by Bishop Strickland at an Oct. 31 public gathering in Rome, where he read from a lengthy letter, attributed to a “dear friend,” that accused Pope Francis (among other things) of being a “usurper of Peter’s chair.” Later, the bishop opined himself that Pope Francis was supporting an “attack on the sacred” coming out of the Vatican.

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"The pope’s decision followed an address given by Bishop Strickland at an Oct. 31 public gathering in Rome, where he read from a lengthy letter, attributed to a “dear friend,” that accused Pope Francis (among other things) of being a “usurper of Peter’s chair.” Later, the bishop opined himself that Pope Francis was supporting an “attack on the sacred” coming out of the Vatican."

In other words, Bishop Strickland went public with his attack on Pope Francis, and people wonder why the
Pope relieved him of his job?

It's against the protocol for Bishops, to criticize the Pope or even other Bishops publicly. The
council of Bishops are the only authority who can take action against a sitting Pope, and
the majority of Bishops support Pope Francis.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No, I wasn't asking about the ontological reality, only the administrative categorizing they might be using. How do you understand the way the first note from the Vatican Press office was written, concerning "His Excellency Monsignor ... Strickland"?
True, it may be signifying that the faculties of the bishop have been removed. I think this is probably correct. At the same time, we must remember that it does not undo what occurred at ordination.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Keep the church in Tyler in your prayers, and pray for the Holy Father, Francis. Pray for his intention in November. And pray for Bishop Strickland. May Christ always be glorified in what we do and say.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
True, it may be signifying that the faculties of the bishop have been removed. I think this is probably correct. At the same time, we must remember that it does not undo what occurred at ordination.
But then the second notice titled him "Bishop".

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Archbishop Vigano on the removal of Bishop Strickland ...

Exsurge Domine USA​

Exsurge Domine stands with Bishop Strickland and commends him for his faith and courage!

"The removal of His Excellency Archbishop Joseph Strickland, especially after the failure to ambush him with the Apostolic Visitation, appears as a cowardly form of authoritarianism, which in no way fits with Bergoglio's rants about “welcoming” and “inclusiveness.”

Seeing the sacrilegious and perverted Marco Rupnik incardinated in the Diocese of Capodistria, or Bishop Michael Olson still in office despite the petition of the faithful of Fort Worth following his abuses and scandalous behavior with the Carmelite Sisters of Arlington, while one of the few faithful Bishops is persecuted and kicked out for no reason shows us in all its arrogance the tyranny of the Argentine Jesuit.

A tyranny that is even more scandalous to the faithful due to the fact that the majority of the Pastors are silent out of cowardice or complicity.

This affair will reveal who stands with the true Church of Christ and who chooses to stand with His declared enemies. To remain silent and endure this umpteenth violation of the most basic principles of justice and truth is to make oneself complicit with a subverter."
+Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano​

Vigano hates Pope Francis because he was passed over for Cardinal.

Vigano blindsided Pope Francis when the Pope made his first visit as Pope, to the United States.
Vigano setup a meeting between Kim Davis and Pope Francis, despite Pope Francis having
no idea that a private audience was being setup.

Kim Davis was the town clerk in Rowan County, KY, who refused to give a same-sex couple
a marriage license. Also, Vigano notified the media of the meeting between Kim Davis and
Pope Francis and it appeared as this was the result of Kim Davis getting praise for standing
firm in opposition to same-sex marriage. Popes have an itinerary to follow and all audiences
are made by the Vatican beforehand.

Pope Francis was angry over being blindsided, and Bishop Vigano was passed over for
elevation to Cardinal as a result.

Then of course, Bishop Vigano sued his own brother for $2 million dollars over estate
money his parents had left.

Bottom line is, Bishop Vigano is not the proper person to criticize Pope Francis,
and should not be given a platform for his gripes here in One Bread One Body.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Bottom line is, Bishop Vigano is not the proper person to criticize Pope Francis,
and should not be given a platform for his gripes here in One Bread One Body.

Deleted the post, Jim.
I re-read the forum rules; you may be right.

Apologies to all.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Deleted the post, Jim.
I re-read the forum rules; you may be right.

Apologies to all.
You can post about Vigano here. It is part of Catholic news and what’s goi v on within the Church. Agree or disagree.

Upvote 0