Elena House

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
✟7,709.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I loved the Lord of the Rings movies so I was very excited to go back to Middle Earth in the Hobbit movies. I was giving a concert in Switzerland during December when the movie came out and was too busy to see it during its first two weeks. I mentioned it to the producer so much that he brought me with his son to see the movie a few days after the concert.

I've read the book and knew the movie had added scenes to it to give a one book story a three movie story. The quality of the filming cannot be denied and I enjoyed the movie a lot but there is a difference in the feeling between LOTR and The Hobbit. I felt more like there was a deep story in LOTR and more like the Hobbit was a fun story. That may be the goal of Peter Jackson while making the Hobbit. The scenes in the Goblin King's realm was a bit like a circus and the Stone Giant scenes were similarly fast paced, exciting and fun. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed myself but the difference in feeling between the two series stood out.

What do you think? Did you feel a difference too?

I am such a geek about Middle Earth that I made a video of me singing the Hobbit movie theme song dressed like a Ranger and even fight a dragon in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Sj651-7pY

Last edited:

Beechwell

Glücksdrache
Sep 2, 2009
Göttingen
✟8,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
My feeling was that the Hobbit tried too much to be like LotR, without having the story background to justify it. There were a lot of scenes that were awfully familiar: Gandalf speaking with butterflies, drawn out escapes from orcs in large, well-lit caverns, the "fellowship" running down the same hillsides again, being rescued by the eagles again, Galadriel standing around mysteriously, Saruman arguing with Gandalf again, Gollum talking to his reflection again. We've seen it all before, and I didn't get the feeling that such scenes really enhanced the story.
Also another gripe of mine was that the Hobbit never seemed to be able to decide if it was a mystic heroic tale (like the Lord of the Ring) or a light, sometimes silly diversion (like the original book, mostly). So those slapstick fights with the orks in the underground lair didn't really fit with Torin's tragic tale or those oh so serious wizards and elves in Rivendale. I think both the Hoobi book and the LotR films handled this a lot better.

Of course it is a very entertaining movie, with great visual effects, and delightful scenes like the dwarves entrance in Bagend, or Radagast's scenes. But it seemed to lack its own artistic vision, rather aimlessly recycling LotR elements and tying to stuff them into a story that wasn't really made to fit them.

So, rant over :)

Upvote 0

Elena House

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
✟7,709.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My feeling was that the Hobbit tried too much to be like LotR, without having the story background to justify it. ...

So, rant over :)

Please, rant away.

Those were some of my same feelings. I think the Hobbit story could have been done wonderfully in a single movie. If they wanted to make it extra long to get it just right fine. But I don't think it justifies 3 movies (which means 3 movie tickets).

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I have't seen the movie yet, but the usual opinion is that the difference described by the OP is true of the books also. That is, the Hobbit as a book is considered lighter than LoTR. Some people suggest the Hobbit as a way for younger readers to start with Tolkien.

Upvote 0

Elena House

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
✟7,709.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have't seen the movie yet, but the usual opinion is that the difference described by the OP is true of the books also. That is, the Hobbit as a book is considered lighter than LoTR. Some people suggest the Hobbit as a way for younger readers to start with Tolkien.

I loved the books! Did you see the LOTR movies? They kept to the story line of the books so well and Middle earth felt so real.

If you liked the book and its more basic story you should see the Hobbit movie too, at least on DVD.

Upvote 0

hopeful321

May 3, 2012
Maryland, USA
✟7,856.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I enjoyed the Hobbit movie, but Since it will have 3 parts the story had more background then what I remember in the book. Has you or anyone seen the old cartoon version of the Hobbit? I went to your U Tube site and was blown away with the other videos. AWESOME!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2013
✟7,666.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I loved the Lord of the Rings movies so I was very excited to go back to Middle Earth

I am such a geek about Middle Earth that I made a video of me singing the Hobbit movie theme song dressed like a Ranger and even fight a dragon in it.

BRAVO! An excellent video of my favourite song from the movie!:clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elena House

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
✟7,709.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I enjoyed the Hobbit movie, but Since it will have 3 parts the story had more background then what I remember in the book. Has you or anyone seen the old cartoon version of the Hobbit? I went to your U Tube site and was blown away with the other videos. AWESOME!!!

Thank you so much for your kind words! That is my new channel. My old one was hacked and then shut down. It had about a half million views. :(

I am re-posting one video per week (usually on Thursdays). Some new ones and some from last year. :)

I just re-posted this one from "The Phantom of the Opera".

Phantom of the Opera - Think of Me - Elena House - YouTube

Upvote 0

jaapottery

~Graphed in the vine~
Aug 19, 2012
Wester Drumlins
✟10,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
They are taking 1 book, The Hobbit, and stretching it out over 3 films. If they did that with LOTR it would have taken 9 films. I loved it, don't get me wrong, but it seems excessive to me. They had to add stuff, the story is just not as complex as LOTR.

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
jaapottery said:
but it seems excessive to me.

Did you see Peter Jackson's "King Kong" movie? It had the same problem I saw in "The Hobbit", of padding the story with so many jams and close calls it loses all suspense, but worse, since if you edited that and the other padding out of "King Kong" you'd have been left with a good movie, wheras with "The Hobbit" if you cut that stuff out you'd be left with what it should be, the opening/middle part of a single movie, as it doesn't have the story to be a full movie on it's own.

Peter Jackson needs a better editor, or to listen to his editor if that's the problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kittycat7

Apr 7, 2010
✟15,513.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Peter Jackson was obviously just trying to cash in by making three movies instead of one. I didn't think Tolkien would have approved of some of the jokes, and I didn't like the way the troll scene was handled. That was one of my favorite parts of the book and it was just - so much less funny - in the movie.

What I did like was Radagast the Brown. He was hilarious and that rabbit sled was badass!

Upvote 0

hopeful321

May 3, 2012
Maryland, USA
✟7,856.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the Hobbit will cover two movies and the third will be new tying the Hobbit to the LOTRs. This gives peter Jackson some artistic freedom, but I am sure it will be both praised and criticized by Tolkien fans. I am putting my order in for the Hobbit. Anyone else?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

generalbreadbasket

May 24, 2007
✟8,001.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What I did like was Radagast the Brown. He was hilarious and that rabbit sled was badass!

Speaking of Radagast. I can't seem to find much about Radagast in Tolkien's work, just a couple of sentences in Unfinished Tales. Is there much more on him in the books?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I tend to agree with most of the sentiments expressed. "The Hobbit" novel is a caper story, much lighter in weight than LOTR. The movie should have been a single film--or perhaps two 90-minute films. It needed to have run much, much faster.

Upvote 0