Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Constantine legalized Christianity. He also recognized worship of the sun was popular in his day. The sun god was worshipped on Sunday. Constantine decreed no work should be done on Sunday.
QUERY COLUMN: Pagan Sunday Observance

Jesus taught we may do what ever we need to do on Saturday, the Jewish Shabbat. Many get two days off for rest and relaxation, or for whatever they need to do. The young and strong may need to work more hours than the elderly.
sunday worship is more ancient than constantine yk that right you can view the sabbath as a holy day that God gave for us and still worship on sunday all the verses this person shows exactly where the beliefs originated from

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

dóxatotheó

Orthodox Church Familia
May 12, 2021
South Carolina
✟17,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Are you arguing with yourself now?

Hebrews is about obeying God and when you obey, which includes keeping the commandments and the 4th commandment, than we enter into God’s rest. There are two different rests Hebrews is referring to and we don’t receive Christ rest by breaking God’s laws.

I believe Jesus said that He did not come to destroy God’s laws. Mathew 5:17-20 Jesus did not come down from Heaven to do His own will but the will of His Fathers. John 6:38 so what you are suggesting is that Jesus was contradicting God when He wrote His laws in our hearts in the New Covenant. Jeremiah 31:33
correct the laws is written on the new covenant hearts that what shows we abide the laws in grace and not for salvation every christian thats in the grace of God through faith will be under the law as thats the only way we sin is by transgressing Gods law and we must also keep the traditions etc. all those are things us as christians should do cause we saved not for salvation all Gods law was furfilled each in a different way we should establish that by understanding what Jesus rising on Sunday mean and adultery and eye for and eye these are examples the Sunday rising wasnt the abolishment of the Shabbath but rather the furfillment and the showing that Jesus is the seal and the gateway to salvation.

• Winner
Upvote 0

dóxatotheó

Orthodox Church Familia
May 12, 2021
South Carolina
✟17,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Just no commandment from God or Jesus saying the first day is His holy day. The disciples broke bread daily, but God commanded us to keep only one day holy, the seventh day. Exodus 20:8-11
correct the Israelites was commanded to keep the law lemme ask you what you think Jesus furfillment was for only moses laws or also the commandments of God i thought God wasnt partially?

• Winner
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
correct the laws is written on the new covenant hearts that what shows we abide the laws in grace and not for salvation every christian thats in the grace of God through faith will be under the law as thats the only way we sin is by transgressing Gods law and we must also keep the traditions etc. all those are things us as christians should do cause we saved not for salvation all Gods law was furfilled each in a different way we should establish that by understanding what Jesus rising on Sunday mean and adultery and eye for and eye these are examples the Sunday rising wasnt the abolishment of the Shabbath but rather the furfillment and the showing that Jesus is the seal and the gateway to salvation.
Interesting, but you provided no scripture to back up your claims.

Jesus told us something completely different regarding obeying traditions over God's commandants.

Mathew 15:3 He answered and said to them, “Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4 For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God”— 6 then he need not honor his father or mother.’ Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition. 7 Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:

8 ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
And honor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
9 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ ”

There is no abolishing the Sabbath commandment that God asked us to "Remember" because on the New Earth the Sabbath will continue as His day of worship Isaiah 66:23 . God is the one who decides which day is His holy day and He not only spoke clearly which day that is He also wrote it with His own finger. Exodus 20:8-11 I will continue to listen to Jesus when He tells us to obey God over man, you should too. God bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
All Scripture is God breathed. The ten commandments are certainly important, and as I have said a number of times none of the commands were removed. However, the question is what Gentiles are required to keep.

Using our common sense God gave us, does God want only Jews to not kill, or Gentiles too? Lying, okay for Gentiles but not Jews? Ok to vain His name if you're not Jewish? One holy day for Jews and up to everyone else on their day of choice? Makes zero sense. The Ten Commandments are very applicable to everyone. Only for Jews doesn't seem like a good argument, especially since Cain killed Abel and we are told that was a sin and this is before Jews. I personally do not understand how anyone could come to this conclusion because it voids out most of the bible as not applicable to you and I know the Spirit teaches me so much from both the OT and NT.

I believe God gave them to the Jewish people as everlasting statutes, because it says that. They are clearly ceremonial.
Which is what Colossians is referring to not the seventh day Sabbath that is God's holy day and is a commandment and points back as a memorial to creation Genesis 2:3. If there are two Sabbaths in the Bible one is about food and drink the other is not, but Colossians in context is about food and drink why not give the benefit that it might not be one of God's Ten Commandments especially since He said it is a perpetual covenant and there is nothing in the 4th commandment that is about food or drink, it is our Savior holy day which continues forever like God promised Isaiah 66:23

Writing not too often. In person studies and such, sure. In fact I only tend to get into these discussions from time to time, partly because they are time consuming.
I would have never guess that considering how many SDA threads you have started, just being honest.

God bless!

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Using our common sense God gave us, does God want only Jews to not kill, or Gentiles too? Lying, okay for Gentiles but not Jews? Ok to vain His name if you're not Jewish? One holy day for Jews and up to everyone else on their day of choice? Makes zero sense. The Ten Commandments are very applicable to everyone. Only for Jews doesn't seem like a good argument, especially since Cain killed Abel and we are told that was a sin and this is before Jews. I personally do not understand how anyone could come to this conclusion because it voids out most of the bible as not applicable to you and I know the Spirit teaches me so much from both the OT and NT.

Given that I already said Gentiles keep moral principles, including those in the ten commandments, and those outside the ten. but still in the law, My position is not that Gentiles are free of moral constraints.

Moreover, my view is that Jewish believers went right on keeping all the law. So I don't see how that ignores the Old Testament. Old and New Testament are God's word.

However, in listings of appointed times with food and drink offerings (Numbers 28, 29, Ezekiel 45-46) the weekly Sabbath is included.

Understanding the reference to the weekly sabbath in the context of Ezekiel 45 forced me to re-assess.

So when a similar list of appointed times with food and drink are in Colossians 2, with all of the elements declared shadows, I could not ignore that.

I would have never guess that considering how many SDA threads you have started, just being honest.

God bless!

After quite some time of not posting on such things I saw a number of Adventist-related threads in the Denomination Specific sub-forum, by Adventists, non-Adventists, and a former Adventist. I figured it would be a good time to stop in and discuss, since people seemed interested in the topic. So over the past month I have posted a number of threads, and participated in others related to the subject.

I have still had time to study with non-believers, and with believers in-person.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dóxatotheó

Orthodox Church Familia
May 12, 2021
South Carolina
✟17,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting, but you provided no scripture to back up your claims.

Jesus told us something completely different regarding obeying traditions over God's commandants.

Mathew 15:3 He answered and said to them, “Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4 For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God”— 6 then he need not honor his father or mother.’ Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition. 7 Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:

8 ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
And honor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
9 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ ”

There is no abolishing the Sabbath commandment that God asked us to "Remember" because on the New Earth the Sabbath will continue as His day of worship Isaiah 66:23 . God is the one who decides which day is His holy day and He not only spoke clearly which day that is He also wrote it with His own finger. Exodus 20:8-11 I will continue to listen to Jesus when He tells us to obey God over man, you should too. God bless
2 Thessalonians 2:15 is scripture and it says hold the traditions interesting Paul said exactly what i said concerning the law and traditions and i never said the sabbath was abolished lol i literally said its not correct and Jesus is God and he furfills each law and Jesus said exactly what i stated concerning furfillment which isnt abolished either because also the law of moses isnt done away with either we also should abide the law of moses but it was also furfilled Gods commandments isnt different from the laws he sent to moses for the israelites they both eternal and never changing and Matthew 15:3 thats an eisegesis of scripture

• Winner
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
sunday worship is more ancient than constantine yk that right you can view the sabbath as a holy day that God gave for us and still worship on sunday all the verses this person shows exactly where the beliefs originated from
Sunday was named after the sun, not the Lord or Jesus Christ. The Jews of Jesus’ day rested and met in their synagogues on the seventh day, from sunset Saturday to sunset Sunday. I was staying in a hotel at Tiberias, Israel near the shore of the Sea of Galilee. After the sun was below the horizon Friday evening, a loud siren was sounded to let people know to stop all work. Many closed their shops early afternoon Friday to prepare for the seventh day. They call it Shabbat in Hebrew.

Upvote 0

dóxatotheó

Orthodox Church Familia
May 12, 2021
South Carolina
✟17,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sunday was named after the sun, not the Lord or Jesus Christ. The Jews of Jesus’ day rested and met in their synagogues on the seventh day, from sunset Saturday to sunset Sunday. I was staying in a hotel at Tiberias, Israel near the shore of the Sea of Galilee. After the sun was below the horizon Friday evening, a loud siren was sounded to let people know to stop all work. Many closed their shops early afternoon Friday to prepare for the seventh day. They call it Shabbat in Hebrew.
ok i didnt think the name sunday really refutes a thing i said and of course jews celebrate shabbath they reject the messiah and early church traditions and faith

• Winner
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Maybe you didn't read my post you are replying to because I never once quoted anything from my church, everything was direct quotes from scripture.
I replied to your post, IMG. Yes, I did read your interpretation of the scripture. You follow the identical interpretation of the Reformers. That is the tradition you follow.

You directly contradict what God has said below.

Acts 2:21
And it shall be that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

You say that cannot be true, then you say that the scripture (Matthew 7:21) contradicts what God said.

Mathew 7:21
Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Now read the text carefully.

"Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name..."

Did you miss this?

Are these folk calling on the name of Jesus?

Or are these folks presenting their works as the reason for their salvation?

"Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name..."

Who when they stand before the Lord would dare to say such a thing.

We are saved through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.

Read that verse carefully.

"and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God"

So how did so many people get it wrong.

NOT BY WORKS, NOT BY THE LAW, SALVATION IS A FREE GIFT GIVEN TO THOSE THAT BELIEVE.

You can obey the Sabbath and drive out demons but you will suffer the same fate as well.
I find this interesting though coming from someone who advocates a tradition of the church over what God has commanded us regarding which day is His holy day. Exodus 20:8-11
No tradition whatsoever. All I post is what God has declared.

Maybe there is some misunderstanding regarding the scripture you quoted. Maybe Jesus will save by just calling out His name for some, but I think for those who were shown the scriptures and know we should keep God's commandments but refuse to, than Jesus might have some words on judgement day. Jesus is the one will decide in His just judgement. Keeping God's commandments is not burdensome for me and I do it because I love Him and He asked.
You have the wrong commandments, you are under the law. Not one of the ten commandments can save anyone.

1 John 3:23-24
This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us. The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
ok i didnt think the name sunday really refutes a thing i said and of course jews celebrate shabbath they reject the messiah and early church traditions and faith
They not only rejected their messiah, they crucified Him. The Jews then proceeded to hunt down the apostles and the disciples. They obeyed the Sabbath but they were in full enmity with God.

Upvote 0

dóxatotheó

Orthodox Church Familia
May 12, 2021
South Carolina
✟17,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
They not only rejected their messiah, they crucified Him. The Jews then proceeded to hunt down the apostles and the disciples. They obeyed the Sabbath but they were in full enmity with God.
fax they say jews like that means anything they make God partially when they say that the furfillment was only for the law of moses and that following the commandments is needed they make legalism over grace with Christ they are exactly what Paul wrote about in Colossians

Upvote 0

dóxatotheó

Orthodox Church Familia
May 12, 2021
South Carolina
✟17,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I replied to your post, IMG. Yes, I did read your interpretation of the scripture. You follow the identical interpretation of the Reformers. That is the tradition you follow.

You say that cannot be true, then you say that the scripture (Matthew 7:21) contradicts what God said.

Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Did you miss this?

For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.

NOT BY WORKS, NOT BY THE LAW, SALVATION IS A FREE GIFT GIVEN TO THOSE THAT BELIEVE.

You can obey the Sabbath and drive out demons but you will suffer the same fate as well.No tradition whatsoever. All I post is what God has declared.

You have the wrong commandments, you are under the law. Not one of the ten commandments can save anyone.

This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us. The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.
what she was talking about hs early church traditions which has nothig to do with what i said and your post is very correct i quoted scripture on her aswell she falls in James 2

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,656.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sunday was named after the sun, not the Lord or Jesus Christ.
In French it is "dimanche" (day of the Lord)
In Greek it is "Κυριακή" (of the Lord)
In Irish it is "Dé Domhnaigh" (Lord's day)
In Latin it is "dominica" (of the Lord) and all the romance languages follow from that.
In Russian it is "воскресенье" (Resurrection day)

Upvote 0

dóxatotheó

Orthodox Church Familia
May 12, 2021
South Carolina
✟17,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In Latin it is "dominica" (of the Lord) and all the romance languages follow from that.
wow is there anymore language regarding this ?

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Did you miss this?

You can obey the Sabbath and drive out demons but you will suffer the same fate as well.No tradition whatsoever. All I post is what God has declared.

I honestly do not think you read my posts. The scriptures I quoted are direct quotes from Jesus. What you are saying is Peter, who you quoted in Acts is contradicting Jesus, which is not the case.

First off, you have claimed the Ten Commandments don't apply to you because they are meant for Jews only. According your philosophy, you can not claim this promise in Acts either because this was addressed to Jews Acts 2:14 “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words. Again you can't cherry pick which commandments you feel apply to you and which ones don't. It doesn't work that way, you can try, but I worry you may not like the final outcome.

The bible has a lot of commandments, which does not mean when a new commandment is introduced it wipes out previous commandments. Paul summed it up when he said 1 Corinthians 7:19 but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.

1 John 3:4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. Not keeping any of God's laws is sinning, which included the 4th commandment. When you believe in Jesus and love Him you are going to obey. Jesus and God's commandments are not at odds with each other. Jesus did not come to do His will but the will of His Father John 6:38 and Jesus clearly stated He did not come to destroy God's laws Mathew 5:17-20.

Yes, I will continue to obey the Sabbath as God commanded and will continue as His holy Sabbath day forever as promised Isaiah 66:23.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This was all post Bible.

Jesus claimed He is Lord of the Sabbath (the real Lord's day) and the seventh day has and will always be God's only chosen holy day. Genesis 2:3 Exodus 20:8-11, Mark 2:28, Isaiah 66:23

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Since you quoted me I am assuming "they" included me. I do not reject Jesus at all, in fact I fully surrender to Him. Jesus taught a lot about the Sabbath just read the NT. He was accused of breaking the Sabbath, which He wasn't and that meant Jesus kept the Sabbath. Luke 4:16 Jesus told us the Sabbath was made for man Mark 2:27 and He is Lord of the Sabbath Mark 2:28 which means that's His day. God already told us that though from the beginning Genesis 2:3 and Exodus 20:8-11 which is why tradition that breaks God's 4th commandment is not going to trump God's holy day on the New Earth Isaiah 66:23

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
what she was talking about hs early church traditions which has nothig to do with what i said and your post is very correct i quoted scripture on her aswell she falls in James 2
Maybe you can write a little clearer because I am having a hard time understanding you. Also, I would appreciate it if you make an accusation about me if you could be kind enough to be specific and tell me where you think "I fail" and than point to a whole chapter. The chapter you point to actually proves my point about the importance of keeping God's laws. Feel free to be more specific so I can address your concern. Thanks

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Given that I already said Gentiles keep moral principles, including those in the ten commandments, and those outside the ten. but still in the law, My position is not that Gentiles are free of moral constraints.

Moreover, my view is that Jewish believers went right on keeping all the law. So I don't see how that ignores the Old Testament. Old and New Testament are God's word.

However, in listings of appointed times with food and drink offerings (Numbers 28, 29, Ezekiel 45-46) the weekly Sabbath is included.

Understanding the reference to the weekly sabbath in the context of Ezekiel 45 forced me to re-assess.

So when a similar list of appointed times with food and drink are in Colossians 2, with all of the elements declared shadows, I could not ignore that.

After quite some time of not posting on such things I saw a number of Adventist-related threads in the Denomination Specific sub-forum, by Adventists, non-Adventists, and a former Adventist. I figured it would be a good time to stop in and discuss, since people seemed interested in the topic. So over the past month I have posted a number of threads, and participated in others related to the subject.

I have still had time to study with non-believers, and with believers in-person.
I disagree. The 4th commandment has nothing to do with food or drink.

Exodus 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

No mention of food or drink, plus it is part of God's Ten which is a unit and is an eternal covenant. The Sabbath continues as promised Isaiah 66:23 so it's definitely not the Sabbath that is being referred to in Colossians, but instead the Sabbath(s) feasts which puts Colossians in proper context.

Upvote 0