razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see it as symbolic of a gender ideology I consider problematic, to say the least.

That does not change the fact that I acknowledge the freedom of people to wear it, for religious reasons or otherwise. As long as we can make sure that people aren't forced to wear it, by peer pressure or otherwise, it's really none of our business, especially if we want to uphold the very values we've been so keen to defend against politicized Islamist extremism.

Some very concepts touched upon here! First, the "gender ideology" thing. Muslims rightly point out the evils of Hollywood, and part of the problem is the whole self-image issues women wind up with. (Men too, but I digress) For all our problems in this regard, I can't see needing to cover yourself head to toe as promoting a healthy self-image when that doesn't pertain to males in the same culture. Maybe I'm missing something, I don't know.

We grant the terrorists victory every time we desert our own values - and they know it. Our track record on this is poor.

Upvote 0