Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
"The Heavenly Man" by Brother Yun with Paul Hattaway

a biography of a chinese pastor of the house churches in China. Deeply moving, touching and revitalising.

so, anyone read it? for those who haven't, i really recommand this book. It gives us a clear warning, reminder and call. It reminds us that NOTHING is impossible for God, and also the mission of evangelism God has placed upon all christians.

i'm especially impressed with some parts:
how God broke Pastor Yun out of prison, the absolute control God had even when Yun disobeyed Him, the breaking apart of the chinese churches due to western denominational influences (now that is something i've never heard of), the very similar state the house churches are to the churches in Acts in terms of material possession and zeal for God, and the stark comparison of the western sleeping churches..

Hands&Feet

Sep 27, 2003
USA
✟851.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, I'll have to check it out. When one considers that it is estimated that 1200 people are becoming Christians an hour in China, according to Voice of the Martyrs Mag, the western church has a long way to go before it learns what real faith is all about. We worry about the removal of the 10 commandments from public places and 90% of the Chinese church must meet in secret, yet their evangelism efforts make ours in the US pale in comparison. We should derive a lot of inspiration from those brave brothers and sisters.

Upvote 0

jidujiao

Dinner is served ---->
Feb 15, 2004
✟15,317.00
Faith
Christian
Bonhoffer said:
Chinas got such a huge population that it probably has more Christians than most Western countries.
Indeed. Conservative estimates place the number around 70 million. Only 14 nations on the planet have populations larger than China's Christian population, and of those only 6 are Western. There are more Christians in China than there are people in any European country except Germany and Russia. In the Western Hemisphere, only the U.S.A., Mexico, and Brazil have more people than China has Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jidujiao

Dinner is served ---->
Feb 15, 2004
✟15,317.00
Faith
Christian
Blessed-one said:
no way! :eek:
didn't know Islam's a 'popular' religion in China too..

Islam is one of China's five officially permitted (and therefore regulated) religions. The other four are Taoism, Buddhism, Catholicism, and Protestantism.

Most of the minority groups in Western China are Muslim. Islam as practiced in China is different from the strict Islam of the Middle East. The believers are tied more by culture than by fervent faith, if appearances are anything to go on. China's government, however, has used the worldwide crackdown on terrorism to further repress Muslim minority groups, especially in Xinjiang province.

Upvote 0

Heaven_Bound

Servent for GOD
Dec 7, 2003
Colorado
✟16,023.00
Faith
Christian
jidujiao said:
Indeed. Conservative estimates place the number around 70 million. Only 14 nations on the planet have populations larger than China's Christian population, and of those only 6 are Western. There are more Christians in China than there are people in any European country except Germany and Russia. In the Western Hemisphere, only the U.S.A., Mexico, and Brazil have more people than China has Christians.

Very True, there are also more people in China that speak English than in the US.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
China's government, however, has used the worldwide crackdown on terrorism to further repress Muslim minority groups, especially in Xinjiang province.

awww.. that's sad.. but it's just like what they would do.
so do you know whether the percentage is larger in favor of Islam or christians? i wonder whether there're Islam underground churches too...

Upvote 0

godscreation8888

Apr 12, 2004
✟7,726.00
Faith
Christian
I hope this isn't a bad place to put this. But I am Chinese and I am Christian and people give me a lot of BS about it. They keep telling me I should be Buddhist or something, could some fellow Christians helping me out with this issue, what should I do? What should I say? Please Help me, I feel like I am slipping soon.

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
hi godscreation, i would suggest you to make a new thread about it in the christian advice and council forum (it's in the christian only area, just scroll down to the edification section).

i'm chinese too.. but i've never had people asking me to convert. Though there are some traditional practices that i don't comply with, my usual response is a firm one. By slipping, you mean the problem with their continuous effort to try to get you away? or that you're actually losing your faith?

Upvote 0

pete56

A Beloved Son of God!
Apr 13, 2004
✟19,616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I read the book, its great!

Then I had the privilege of hearing Br Yun speak!

WOW he is such an annointed man! I don't speak Chinese but his words (through an interpreter) were so moving and powerful, he had me in tears!

Have you read the follow up book - Back To Jerusalem?

Its the story of a movement in the Chinese House churches to reach and evangelise all the nations on the ancient Silk Routes between China and Jerusalem.

Wow, these Chinese believers really have vision! And its not just vision, it has started!

Get hold of the book and learn how to be involved too!

God's blessing to you all

Pete

Upvote 0

pieman3141

Apr 12, 2004
Vancouver, BC
✟7,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Also consider: China had only a handful of Christians before 1949 (the Communist revolution). People thought this would be a blow to evangelizing. When China reopened herself in the 1970s and 80s,, there were 130 million Christians. Add the VOM statl of 1200 per hour.... wow... you have soem HEAVY evangelizing and converting going on there. Christianity thrives on martyrdom.

Upvote 0