The heart of the Florida Parental rights in Education Act. A.k.a don’t say gay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Florida Parental Rights in Education Act, commonly known as the Don't Say Gay act or as the Don't Say Gay or Trans act, is a Florida state law passed in 2022 that regulates public schools in Florida.

The provisions of the act prohibit public schools from having "classroom discussion"[a] or giving "classroom instruction"https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Parental_Rights_in_Education_Act#cite_note-4 on sexual orientation or gender identity from kindergarten through to third grade or in any manner deemed to be against state standards in all grades;

prohibits public schools from adopting procedures or student support forms that maintain the confidentially of a disclosure by a student, including the confidentially of a disclosure by a student of their sexual orientation or gender identity, from parents; prohibits public schools from preventing parents from accessing the education and health records of students; and requires public schools to bear the costs of all lawsuits filed by aggrieved parents.[3]

The focus is on five to nine year olds…..

Why on Earth would anyone in their right mind think giving classroom discussion or instruction on gender identity be beneficial to a child whose maturity levels requires supervision going to the bathroom?

Once again there are element on the left that are being overly dramatic and supporting physical mutilation of our children and practices that just 6-7 years ago would be considered child sexual abuse or at the very least corrupting the moral of a minor.

im interested in a give and take conversation keeping in mind we are speaking of children of a tender age.

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think is sad, that Conservatives are so scared of being honest to kids about Gay people and Transgender. It makes no sense to me. And really does nothing to stop people from being gay or transgender.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The principle, I believe, is that family and parents reserve the right to bring up their children in the manner they choose. This right does not belong to the culture, the schools, the mental health profession, or the government.
When I was in HS during the 60s there was the "sex education" course. I think it was in my junior year. Your parents had to approve of your attendance, and it was an elective course in the college prep curriculum. Today they do not even ask. Even in elementary school your children are exposed to information that most people would object to.
It is not that this stuff does not exist, or that the young people will not learn of it eventually. The problem is that it is being presented as normalcy. They are teaching kids that these things are normal and if you are attracted, then that is ok. No... it is not ok. No... it is not normal. It is against God and it is against nature. And it is deadly.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like the vagueness.

Gives the state lots of arbitrary power over the citizens, which could be usefully employed.
Yeah, keeping parents involved in the lives of their 5 to 9 year old children can be such an inconvenience

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a parent of a child in public elementary school in Florida, I am very happy the state has this law.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
The principle, I believe, is that family and parents reserve the right to bring up their children in the manner they choose. This right does not belong to the culture, the schools, the mental health profession, or the government.
When I was in HS during the 60s there was the "sex education" course. I think it was in my junior year. Your parents had to approve of your attendance, and it was an elective course in the college prep curriculum. Today they do not even ask. Even in elementary school your children are exposed to information that most people would object to.
It is not that this stuff does not exist, or that the young people will not learn of it eventually. The problem is that it is being presented as normalcy. They are teaching kids that these things are normal and if you are attracted, then that is ok. No... it is not ok. No... it is not normal. It is against God and it is against nature. And it is deadly.
and this is the kind of hate I don't want my children exposed or taught that it is normal in the schools

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
The Florida Parental Rights in Education Act, commonly known as the Don't Say Gay act or as the Don't Say Gay or Trans act, is a Florida state law passed in 2022 that regulates public schools in Florida.

The provisions of the act prohibit public schools from having "classroom discussion"[a] or giving "classroom instruction"Florida Parental Rights in Education Act - Wikipedia on sexual orientation or gender identity from kindergarten through to third grade or in any manner deemed to be against state standards in all grades;

prohibits public schools from adopting procedures or student support forms that maintain the confidentially of a disclosure by a student, including the confidentially of a disclosure by a student of their sexual orientation or gender identity, from parents; prohibits public schools from preventing parents from accessing the education and health records of students; and requires public schools to bear the costs of all lawsuits filed by aggrieved parents.[3]

The focus is on five to nine year olds…..

Why on Earth would anyone in their right mind think giving classroom discussion or instruction on gender identity be beneficial to a child whose maturity levels requires supervision going to the bathroom?

Once again there are element on the left that are being overly dramatic and supporting physical mutilation of our children and practices that just 6-7 years ago would be considered child sexual abuse or at the very least corrupting the moral of a minor.

im interested in a give and take conversation keeping in mind we are speaking of children of a tender age.

One of the examples of the twisted thinking of this law came up in the legislative debates. it was posed that a 1st grade teacher gave the assignment for students to draw a picture of their family Everyone would show their picture and talk about their families and all the pictures would be displayed around the classroom. A student. Diane, has two fathers and happily drew a very nice picture of her family. According to the law the teacher cannot display Diane's picture or allow her to speak about her family because doing so would involve a classroom discussion about her dads constituting a discussion of sexual orientation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
and this is the kind of hate I don't want my children exposed or taught that it is normal in the schools
Hate? Who is hating? It is just a matter of loving your children, obeying your God, and upholding standards that are conducive to a thriving, safe culture.
When people try and reduce everything to hate... they are missing it by a mile.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed

If you really want a discussion starter...You teach 2nd grade and one of your students just infomed you that he feels hs is actually a girl and wants ot know if ther eare other people who would understand. Nnow you kwno the child's parent sand they are terribly anti LGBT and have expressed their belifs that violence agaisnt lGBT individuals is a perfeclty normal response and the right of idividuals to engage in. As a teacher you are now required by law to inform the child's parents of what they said even though you sincerley ebeleve doing to will expse the could to abuse and possibly violence in the hom. What do you do? Break the law and protect the child or shrugh yoru shoulders thinking the kid desrves the abuse?

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Hate? Who is hating? It is just a matter of loving your children, obeying you God, and upholding standards that are conducive to a thriving, safe culture.
When people try and reduce everything to hate... they are missing it by a mile.
Go apply what you just wrote to blacks or Jews or the handicapped and tell me its not hate

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Go apply what you just wrote to blacks or Jews or the handicapped and tell me its not hate.
Problem with that logic is there is nothing wrong with blacks or Jews or the handicapped. If a pig had wings it could fly. The things you apply this to have to actually be true. You just cannot make up stuff and apply it to a discussion and think you are making a point. You are not. I do reserve the right to tell others what they can expose my children to. You teach yours however you want. Stay out of my family, faith and home business.

Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, keeping parents involved in the lives of their 5 to 9 year old children can be such an inconvenience
I like how teachers could get arrested for showing a Mommy / Daddy picture. They probably wouldnt. But its good for the state to have that in its back pocket just in case. Keep those teachers on their toes!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
They really need to proclaim the gospel to the kids. That would solve everything.

The parents have every opportunity to do so at home, but that does not belong in the schools.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Now you are getting it.

Are you finally agreeing that government schools need to be free of religious instruction? (In this case the preaching of the gospels.)

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

How do you tell children which bathroom to use without broaching the subject of gender identity?

Student: "Teacher, why does Billy use this bathroom while Susie uses that bathroom?"
Teacher: "Because Billy is a boy and uses the boy's room, while Susie is a girl and uses the girl's room."
Student: "What's a boy and what's a girl?"

Additionally, requiring the school districts to bear all the legal costs is not an insignificant part of this law.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If you really want a discussion starter...You teach 2nd grade and one of your students just infomed you that he feels hs is actually a girl and wants ot know if ther eare other people who would understand. Nnow you kwno the child's parent sand they are terribly anti LGBT and have expressed their belifs that violence agaisnt lGBT individuals is a perfeclty normal response and the right of idividuals to engage in. As a teacher you are now required by law to inform the child's parents of what they said even though you sincerley ebeleve doing to will expse the could to abuse and possibly violence in the hom. What do you do? Break the law and protect the child or shrugh yoru shoulders thinking the kid desrves the abuse?
Sounds like your scenario is about a teacher who is convinced she knows better than the parents concerning what is best for the child, should she be allowed to keep secrets from the parents.
Consider another scenario; a Christian teacher is approached by a 2nd grade child who is raised in a Muslim household, and she tells the teacher she wants to become Christian. Because a large percent of Muslims believe violence is a perfectly legitimate response for Apostasy, this teacher decides it would be unsafe for the child to share this with her parents. What should the teacher do? Break the law and not tell the parents? Or shrug her shoulders thinking the child deserves abuse? I think in both scenarios the teacher should tell the child to keep it to themselves till they get old enough to make their own decisions. What do you think?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.