Visit site
✟7,752.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I really liked The Happening. Being an avid supporter of M. Night Shyamalan, I was sure to see this opening weekend. While it is not his best film (in my opinion Signs and The Sixth Sense are his absolute best, in that order) it achieved what it was trying to achieve. I saw a special on this movie before it was released, and loved the fact that he said he made it intentionally B-movie-ish, like all those paranoia thrillers from the 50s and 60s (Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Birds, etc.). I can understand some people's dissapointment by spots of cringe-worthy dialogue and bad acting if they didn't know that was all intentional when they walked into the theatre. I probably would have reacted the same way had I not known that was the point.

The suicides in this movie were brutal, but not in an overly-gory disgusting way. Just intense! Some of them made me gasp and jump, and others made me say out loud, "Did they really just go there?!" It was great.

Another thing I liked about this film was the fact that there was genuine comedy to be found within the plot. I was pretty much smiling from laughter AND gasping from terror the entire way through, and sometimes at the SAME time! It was a very unique experience and I commend Mr. Shyamalan for being able to pull that off.

Also, some people are complaining about the actual "killer" in this film, saying it was outrageous and idiotic. I could not disagree more! The killer was such an original idea, in my opinion, and when you think about it, the fact that M. Night Shyamalan could make something like "the killer" in this film that creepy is astonishing.

I'll definitely be adding this film to my Shyamalan collection when it's released on DVD. (I own all his films; my favorites are, in order: Signs, The Sixth Sense, The Village, The Happening, Unbreakable, Lady in the Water. Not to say those at the bottom of the list are bad, I still love them!).

Last edited:
Upvote 0