Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Gurus, the Young Man, and Elder Paisios

picture7t.png

an indian speaks out. yes... they have feelings, too.

I find it curious that the reviewer, in the last sentence, mockingly says "only my religion is true" as if it is a reprehensible opinion. I thought Mr. Farasiotis' characterization of Hinduism was quite apt.

Upvote 0

xuxana

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
Mar 26, 2010
ROCOR
✟1,409.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
I find it curious that the reviewer, in the last sentence, mockingly says "only my religion is true" as if it is a reprehensible opinion. I thought Mr. Farasiotis' characterization of Hinduism was quite apt.
he's a convert from hinduism, thats why. he probably has to still deal with his parents religion & all that. to a lesser degree, i know some former catholics turned orthodox converts that still defend catholicism. its probably hard for them to leave that world behind. unless your born into it like malankara orthodox indians.

however, i did find farasiotis to be very disrespectful towards indians & indian culture.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

You mean where he says "only my religion is true and all others will burn in Hell"?

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You mean where he says "only my religion is true and all others will burn in Hell"?

Yes. I purposely excluded the second clause there. Mainly because the author of The Gurus, The Young Man, and Elder Paisios never states anything to that effect.

Upvote 0

xuxana

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
Mar 26, 2010
ROCOR
✟1,409.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
the worst part of it is how farasiotis fabricated names to support his theories. he named a woman he met at the ashram 'prakash'. ok, anybody thats met an indian KNOWS that its a man's name. dionysios farasiotis' stories are suspect.

something about him isn't right.

Upvote 0

xuxana

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
Mar 26, 2010
ROCOR
✟1,409.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
Yes. I purposely excluded the second clause there. Mainly because the author of The Gurus, The Young Man, and Elder Paisios never states anything to that effect.
he alludes to that. on top of that, farasiotis calls indians dirty. wow, how charitable.

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
the worst part of it is how farasiotis fabricated names to support his theories. he named a woman he met at the ashram 'prakash'. ok, anybody thats met an indian KNOWS that its a man's name. dionysios farasiotis' stories are suspect.

something about him isn't right.

Because he is ethically obligated to provide pseudonyms for people in his stories when he cannot obtain consent? This, if anything, is a point in his favor. :doh:

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

xuxana

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
Mar 26, 2010
ROCOR
✟1,409.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
Because he is ethically obligated to provide pseudonyms for people in his stories when he cannot obtain consent? This, if anything, is a point in his favor.
more like he made the whole thing up. just like he made up the story about the two chicks that "witchcrafted" him. chances are he dated the both of them & they decided to dump him. in any case... first part of the book was cool. towards the end... wow. its like a hate speech against indians.

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
he alludes to that. on top of that, farasiotis calls indians dirty. wow, how charitable.

How dare Mr. Farasiotis not lie about his experiences in India, even if his views are consistent with what the Indian government themselves have to say about the differing standards of hygiene between Europe and India.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
more like he made the whole thing up. just like he made up the story about the two chicks that "witchcrafted" him. chances are he dated the both of them & they decided to dump him. in any case... first part of the book was cool. towards the end... wow. its like a hate speech against indians.

Yeah. I'm sure he just made the whole thing up. This thread is unreal. It is time for a lock, I think. :doh:

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟174,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This level of catty vitriol is a bit distressing to see. There's a phrase I grew up with- making mountains out of molehills. It more than applies in this case, I think. I didn't feel that the author of the book intended anything remotely like what the OP is reading into it. This thread needs to die.

I'm once again reminded of why I shouldn't be here at CF.

Upvote 0

xuxana

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
Mar 26, 2010
ROCOR
✟1,409.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
How dare Mr. Farasiotis not lie about his experiences in India, even if his views are consistent with what the Indian government themselves have to say about the differing standards of hygiene between Europe and India.
im talking about the people he met. not the country. is it a coincidence that an orthodox indian family @ my parish found farasiotis book to be demeaning to indians? and they arent converts, either. they are cradle.

is it a coincidence that people of other races in my parish felt the way the indian family did after reading this book? perspective will always change if we base it on who its coming from. as a woman of color, i found the book to be racist.

it may not seem that way to you or to others here, but from where we (as in ppl from my church) are standing from. its a clearly racist book.

picture7t.png

Last edited:
Reactions: RobNJ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.