The Gospel - which verses?

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
BelievingIsObeying said:
Sorry, what is a euangelion? I don't see that in my Merriam-Webster dictionary.

The root word that "gospel" is the usual translation of but that also gives us evangelist, evangelical, etc. it's much more precise than "good news" implies: its the proclamation of an event such as the crowning of a new king who will bring peace and prosperity, or the kings victory over a dangerous enemy. It's the Greek word used to translate Isaiah when he talks of the good news of God returning to Zion to reign as king.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟652,233.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
How I would answer would depend on who they were

Someone who is living alone on an Island for example.

Never mind, it was not meant to be a "Trying to be difficult" thing.

But many would have said, "He washed away our sins"
Or similar.

So, someone who has never given a thought about an afterlife or judgement may say, "So what, what has that got to do with me

When my time is up, I,ll go into a grave and that,s it, finito."

Truly and sincerely, I have worn out a few NT,S,
And the only reason I can see there being any meaning whatsoever in the story is,
Death was never on the programme at any time,
So God sent someone to die just for the purpose of showing the world His will by raising him from the dead.
This is truly and sincerely what I have arrived at.

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Someone who is living alone on an Island for example.

Never mind, it was not meant to be a "Trying to be difficult" thing.
I didn't think you were trying to be difficult, I was trying to make the point that you have to know something of your audience to know how best to answer the question. Consider that on Paul's missionary journeys his discourses with the Jews were different to those he had with the Greeks in Athens, with the Jews he tried two show them how Christ was the Messiah promised in the Old Testament, with the Greeks he appealed to the writings of their own poets.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟652,233.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I didn't think you were trying to be difficult, I was trying to make the point that you have to know something of your audience to know how best to answer the question. Consider that on Paul's missionary journeys his discourses with the Jews were different to those he had with the Greeks in Athens, with the Jews he tried two show them how Christ was the Messiah promised in the Old Testament, with the Greeks he appealed to the writings of their own poets.

I get what you mean, but, in some circles he has and still does recieve critisism for this, for example when he says, "when I am with these I am as them, when I am with those I am as those." the critics mean he is being inconsistent.

We know that whatever someone does, there will Always be those who criticize what you are doing, that is to be expected,
Unless someone is doing nothing, then they cannot be criticized for what they are doing, because they are doing nothing.

But we cannot be sure who the audience is on the internet.

Upvote 0