The Gospel - which verses?

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
BelievingIsObeying said:
It doesn't have to contain a gospel to describe the gospel.
To be summation of the gospel, it does.

What you've summarised isn't the gospel but a part of Jesus teaching. It's intimately related to the Gospel, but it isn't the Gospel itself.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
BelievingIsObeying said:
Well he came as a teacher. I think it more important to know what to do, than what has been done for us.

Maybe, maybe not. But it isn't the question that was asked. A command cannot be a gospel and therefore cannot be The Gospel.

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Well he came as a teacher. I think it more important to know what to do, than what has been done for us.

If you think what we do is more important than what Christ has done, then you haven't understood the Gospel.

Upvote 0
B

BelievingIsObeying

theFijian said:
If you think what we do is more important than what Christ has done, then you haven't understood the Gospel.

I said it was more important to know. If I had to choose any part of the gospel to save it would be this teaching, as he was a teacher, this was what he did...he taught this lesson continuously throughout the gospels. He also lived this teaching. This summarizes all of his teaching and life.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
BelievingIsObeying said:
I'm not saying that it's the Gospel, but a summary of the four Gospels.
Each of the gospels is called that precisely because what it does is tell The Gospel. Any attempted summary of the gospels that isn't a gospel cannot be a summary of the gospels.

The gospels are not the teachings of Jesus; they are the story of Jesus becoming king. That's why they are called gospels, not didache or something similar.

Upvote 0
B

BelievingIsObeying

ebia said:
Each of the gospels is called that precisely because what it does is tell The Gospel. Any attempted summary of the gospels that isn't a gospel cannot be a summary of the gospels.

The gospels are not the teachings of Jesus; they are the story of Jesus becoming king. That's why they are called gospels, not didache or something similar.

I will have to disagree, I think what I quoted summarizes the four gospels best. As it is what all of his teaching was based on, as well as his life, which is what the gospels are - the Life, teachings, death and resurrection of Jesus, which the life and teachings comprise much more of the gospels than anything else. All of which he taught and lived the two great commandments.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
BelievingIsObeying said:
I will have to disagree, I think what I quoted summarizes the four gospels best. As it is what all of his teaching was based on, as well as his life, which is what the gospels are - the Life, teachings, death and resurrection of Jesus, which the life and teachings comprise much more of the gospels than anything else. All of which he taught and lived the two great commandments.

Why do you think they are called "gospels" if they aren't telling a gospel?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I said it was more important to know. If I had to choose any part of the gospel to save it would be this teaching, as he was a teacher, this was what he did...he taught this lesson continuously throughout the gospels. He also lived this teaching. This summarizes all of his teaching and life.

Why is it more important to know what to do, rather than to know what Christ has already done? This is fundamental to understanding the reason why Christ came.

Upvote 0
B

BelievingIsObeying

theFijian said:
Why is it more important to know what to do, rather than to know what Christ has already done? This is fundamental to understanding the reason why Christ came.

Knowing what to do...meaning his teachings are what he has done. He taught us, teaching is what he has already done. Jesus came to teach the good news.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
BelievingIsObeying said:
Knowing what to do...meaning his teachings are what he has done. He taught us, teaching is what he has already done. Jesus came to teach the good news.

Jesus came to enact the good news. "Good news", in the sense of an euangelion, is something that happens, not a timeless truth or a command. And, if you look carefully, most of Jesus' teaching is explanation either for what he has just done or for what he is about to do. The rest is how to be part of it.

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Knowing what to do...meaning his teachings are what he has done. He taught us, teaching is what he has already done.
What? Sorry I was assuming you were a Christian, and so I assumed you would be giving the normal Christian understanding of who Christ is and the reason he was incarnated.
Jesus came to teach the good news.

Good news about what?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
B

BelievingIsObeying

theFijian said:
What? Sorry I was assuming you were a Christian, and so I assumed you would be giving the normal Christian understanding of who Christ is and the reason he was incarnated.

Good news about what?

I give the understanding of who Jesus was according to the scripture I have read.

The good news he taught was that God loves us all and we can reach our goal by staying on the straight and narrow road, by following the two great commandments. The good news was that God was here in human form to tell mankind directly what his commands are.

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I give the understanding of who Jesus was according to the scripture I have read.

The good news he taught was that God loves us all and we can reach our goal by staying on the straight and narrow road, by following the two great commandments. The good news was that God was here in human form to tell mankind directly what his commands are.

That's fine if that's what you actually believe, but that's the Law not the Gospel, that's not the reason Jesus came since we already had the Law.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
BelievingIsObeying said:

That's not an euangelion.

Upvote 0