PreachTheTruth

The Sword of Truth
Aug 19, 2013
✟274.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We will start with bikini's. How could a Christian women ever wear one of these wicked things and not feel guilty? How could a Christian man ever allow his daughter or wife ever even own this wickedness much less wear it?

Deuteronomy, Chapter 22
5: The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

1 Timothy, Chapter 2
9: In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
10: But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

1 Corinthians, Chapter 11
6: For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

7: For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

8: For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
9: Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

14: Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
15: But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

F

from scratch

We will start with bikini's. How could a Christian women ever wear one of these wicked things and not feel guilty? How could a Christian man ever allow his daughter or wife ever even own this wickedness much less wear it?

Deuteronomy, Chapter 22
5: The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

1 Timothy, Chapter 2
9: In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
10: But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

6: For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

7: For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

8: For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
9: Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

14: Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
15: But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
I wasn't aware that bikinis were male apparel.

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
PTT-

What business is it of yours what a woman does? I can only assume that you have your role as a man all together such that you can turn your attention now to the role of women. If so, I will humbly await your response as to exactly how you have grown into the perfect example of the Christian husband. Btw, I am still awaiting your response from the other thread as to whether you are even married or not.

Upvote 0

joeboonda

Eternally Secure Believer
Jan 8, 2006
Tennessee, USA
✟7,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think God looks at the heart, whether someone is trying to be provocative or a temptress or whatnot, and he is the judge, not us.. If its hot out at the pool or beach, a modest bikini or swim trunks seems appropriate to me.

Upvote 0

bornofGod888

Feb 20, 2013
Hidden with Christ in God (Col. 3:3)
✟3,812.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to quickly take my own poll on something:

1. How many men on this forum would go to church wearing only a pair of boxer shorts and how many women on this forum would go to church wearing only a bra and panties?

2. How many of the same men on this forum would go to a public beach wearing only swim trunks (which cover up about as much as a pair of boxer shorts would) and how many of the same women on this forum would go to a public beach wearing only a bikini (which covers up about as much as a bra and panties would)?

IOW, would you be ashamed to dress one way in front of the saints and yet not ashamed to dress the same way in front of the ungodly (and possibly some saints, too)?

Just curious.

Upvote 0

joeboonda

Eternally Secure Believer
Jan 8, 2006
Tennessee, USA
✟7,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

1. How many men on this forum would go to church wearing only a pair of boxer shorts and how many women on this forum would go to church wearing only a bra and panties?

2. How many of the same men on this forum would go to a public beach wearing only swim trunks (which cover up about as much as a pair of boxer shorts would) and how many of the same women on this forum would go to a public beach wearing only a bikini (which covers up about as much as a bra and panties would)?

IOW, would you be ashamed to dress one way in front of the saints and yet not ashamed to dress the same way in front of the ungodly (and possibly some saints, too)?

Just curious.
At my parents church in the Arizona desert, people wear shorts and sandals and light tops and whatnot. Its appropriate for the climate. Same with the beach, bathing suits are appropriate. With this mindset, where does it stop? Women in veils and black islamic garb covering them from head to foot? Or dressing like we are in the 17th century? Why all the legalism and rules? Ah, whatever, I guess.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

It depends on the church. You seem to be of the gravely mistaken view that "church" can only mean a stodgy, ornate building. I prefer a "casual dress" church, and, if seasonally appropriate, would wear shorts and a tank-top. Of course, part of the reason for different apparel is the sort of activities being engaged in.

Now that I'm old and fat, I prefer to cover up a *bit* more to avoid horrifying the populace.

Just curious.

I have little shame.

Upvote 0

blankCrossfire

Hebrews 4:15-16
Jun 20, 2011
✟15,744.00
Faith
Christian

Just curious.

+1

Upvote 0

bornofGod888

Feb 20, 2013
✟3,812.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At my parents church in the Arizona desert, people wear shorts and sandals and light tops and whatnot. Its appropriate for the climate. Same with the beach, bathing suits are appropriate. With this mindset, where does it stop? Women in veils and black islamic garb covering them from head to foot? Or dressing like we are in the 17th century? Why all the legalism and rules? Ah, whatever, I guess.

I said nothing of "shorts and sandals and light tops". I said "boxer shorts" which are basically the equivalent of a standard male's bathing suit.

Anyhow, why do you suppose the verses about "modest" apparel are in the Bible?

Filler?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Whether the OP is a troll or not, the sort of chauvinistic attitude expressed is fairly standard.

I find it rather amusing how often guys think we ought to be controlling what women wear and do. Especially when it comes to such lame arguments such as, "Don't you know that you are making men lust?" As though women are incapable of sexual thoughts from how men dress, or as though it is a woman's fault for whatever fantasies a man entertains in his own head.

My thoughts are my responsibility, my behavior is my responsibility, my words and my actions are my responsibility. If I look at a woman and objectify her sexually, that's not her problem, that's my problem. I'm the sinner there, not her. Legislating her because I can't control myself is insanely ridiculous. That's not protecting women, that's not advocating modesty, it's not being "holy" or some sort of piety; it's just good old fashioned chauvinism.

Fellas, let's try dealing with our own thorns and eye logs.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Just curious.
It's about what is appropriate. Is it appropriate to wear any kind of swimwear in church? Er, generally not. Would you wear your pajamas to church? No. But you would wear them in bed, would you not? Would you wear running shorts to church? No, but you would wear them at the gym. It is appropriateness that is the key.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,856.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Depends on where the church is.
If the church is on a beach, involved in a beach mission or some kind of summer outreach programme, then it might be appropriate to wear a swimsuit, though, for me, it wouldn't be a bikini.

But if you're asking would I put on a swimsuit to go into our church building on a Sunday morning, or course not; I doubt anyone would.
The reasons, in my case, would be the English weather, not wanting to be arrested for indecent exposure - that sort of thing is appropriate on a beach, it's not in a town - not wanting to be disrespectful to the clergy, other church members and particularly any non Christians who might be visiting.

It's not really a matter of be ashamed but of appropriate clothing and behaviour.
For myself, I would probably wear the same skirt and top in both places. If the church was likely to be cool, I would wear a cardigan; if I got to the beach and intended going swimming I would have a swimsuit underneath.

Upvote 0

bornofGod888

Feb 20, 2013
✟3,812.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just to clarify my "poll", I fully believe that God sees us everywhere and I've had some of my deepest fellowship with God while I've been in either the shower or the bathtub. IOW, I was naked at the time. However, I certainly wouldn't show up naked to church or in public. It's not appropriate...not only because there are laws (in most places, anyway) which prohibit the same, but also because I'm not to be a stumblingblock to others or to possibly cause somebody else to sin. Oh, I'm not a "Greek god" or anything like that, but, let's be real, when people view another person's nakedness, impure thoughts or desires can be easily aroused. IOW, this isn't all just about "us" and what is "lawful", but also about what is best for others.

Anyhow, although everybody pretty much skirted my actual question, I trust that none of you would show up in your underwear to church and, yet, that is exactly what most people do, comparatively speaking, at the beach. Seems like a double-standard or hypocrisy to me and I'm certainly entitled to my own opinion on the matter and not seeking to "legislate morality" to anyone else. IOW, if it's not proper for me to dress a certain way before the saints, then I cannot possibly imagine how it's proper to dress the same way before the unsaved. Also, to be perfectly frank, I believe, based upon my own observations of not just how some people dress, but also how they behave in general, that a lot of the skimpy dressing is simply a matter of pride or wanting others to look at them in ways which should be restricted to their spouses and to none other.

Btw, I still haven't seen anybody address why the verses about modest apparel are in the Bible?

Anybody?

Upvote 0

GenetoJean

Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Delaware
Visit site
✟18,940.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Just to clarify my "poll", I fully believe that God sees us everywhere and I've had some of my deepest fellowship with God while I've been in either the shower or the bathtub. IOW, I was naked at the time. However, I certainly wouldn't show up naked to church or in public. It's not appropriate...not only because there are laws (in most places, anyway) which prohibit the same, but also because I'm not to be a stumblingblock to others or to possibly cause somebody else to sin. Oh, I'm not a "Greek god" or anything like that, but, let's be real, when people view another person's nakedness, impure thoughts or desires can be easily aroused. IOW, this isn't all just about "us" and what is "lawful", but also about what is best for others.

Anyhow, although everybody pretty much skirted my actual question, I trust that none of you would show up in your underwear to church and, yet, that is exactly what most people do, comparatively speaking, at the beach. Seems like a double-standard or hypocrisy to me and I'm certainly entitled to my own opinion on the matter and not seeking to "legislate morality" to anyone else. IOW, if it's not proper for me to dress a certain way before the saints, then I cannot possibly imagine how it's proper to dress the same way before the unsaved. Also, to be perfectly frank, I believe, based upon my own observations of not just how some people dress, but also how they behave in general, that a lot of the skimpy dressing is simply a matter of pride or wanting others to look at them in ways which should be restricted to their spouses and to none other.

Btw, I still haven't seen anybody address why the verses about modest apparel are in the Bible?

Anybody?

I believe Hetta addressed your "poll" and you ignored her.

It's about what is appropriate. Is it appropriate to wear any kind of swimwear in church? Er, generally not. Would you wear your pajamas to church? No. But you would wear them in bed, would you not? Would you wear running shorts to church? No, but you would wear them at the gym. It is appropriateness that is the key.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.