The GOALS of the SEVENTIETH WEEK are KEY TOPICS of the NEW TESTAMENT.

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my previous thread we have been dealing with the question, 'Is a contiguous count of Daniel's 70 weeks found in New Testament writings?' Here are links to key posts. My last example #5 is on this new thread because it is a topic in its own right. Its on the next post.

1. JOHN the BAPTIST noted the START of the SEVENTIETH WEEK.

2. ST. LUKE links the SEVENTIETH WEEK to the JUBILEE YEAR.

3. ST. PAUL called the END OF WEEKS the ‘FULLNESS of the TIME.’

4. ST. JOHN recorded the PRECISE DATE of the FIRST DAY of the SEVENTIETH WEEK.

5. The GOALS of the SEVENTIETH WEEK are KEY TOPICS of the NEW TESTAMENT.

My expanded paper on this subject can also be found here: ‘DANIELS 70 WEEKS PROPHECY – RELATED FINDINGS.

Reactions: Zao is life

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Six goals of the seventieth week are laid out in Daniel's prophecy:

“Seventy weeks are determined for your people and for your holy city, to finish the transgression, to make an end of sins, to make reconciliation for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy, and to anoint the Most Holy." (Daniel 9:24)

The first four of these purposes were accomplished in the middle of the seventieth week with Christ’s reconciliation on the Cross. The last two clauses took the full week. They may be summarised as follows:

• First, they finished transgression for those who believe, so the demands of law do not have to be charged against us.
  • Second, they made an end of sins by removing the accumulated sin temporarily covered under the old covenant, as well as removing in advance sin committed under the new covenant.
  • Third, they reconciled us to God whose justice was satisfied by the propitiatory sacrifice of his Son.
  • Fourth, they enabled the righteousness of Christ to be credited to those that believe on him irrespective of the wrongs we may have done.
  • Fifth, they sealed the vision, authenticating Jesus as the One from God and his ministry as the fulfilment of the promise.
  • Sixth, they raised and anointed a new temple - the Church, holy to the Lord, not made by man’s hands.
My point in summarising here is to uncover Daniel chapter nine in the major New Covenant doctrines. Although explicit reference to Daniel’s contiguous 70-weeks prophecy does not appear in the New Testament, it is clearly found in the understanding of New Testament authors.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi your idea is one that many hold to and I would disagree with it, as certain things you say are true but are not related to Dan 9 and the accomplishments you mention, as these 6 things are directly tied to Daniels people and the Holy city Jerusalem. The futurist view holds that the 70th week is future and the reconciliation is when Israel recognizes Jesus Christ as He comes and saves them. In Zech 14 the LORD comes and is king when Jerusalem is being overrun and the LORD is then king over all the earth. the nations that are left must now come and worship the LORD in Jerusalem every year at Tabernacles or they get no rain. The reconciliation is like Josephs brothers when they weep as Joseph revealed himself to them. Yes Jesus brought the new covenant and provided atonement for the whole word but the transgression of Daniels people was not believing in Jesus as God and savior. This specific sin is addressed and as Hosea says in the place where it was said not my people you shall be called sons of the living God." Great is the day of Jezreel. Jezreel is the same place as Armageddon. Now iin Luke 1 Jesus is the horn of salvation for the house of Jacob who will keep the prophecies covenants, oaths and promises to deliver Israel from their enemies and from that time on they will worship and serve the LORD without fear and now in holiness and righteousness all their days. There are hundreds of prophecies that show a before and after picture for Jews, Daniels people and Jerusalem that show deliverance from their enemies and a converted heart and permanent change. These prophecies are not talking about the church. The LORD delivers Israel just as Luke says and converts them at the same time and that is what the 70th week brings in for Daniels people and Jerusalem.

Upvote 0

Timtofly

Jun 29, 2020
Mount Morris
✟125,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What about this part Brian?

“Seventy weeks are determined … to make reconciliation for iniquity”

Are you saying that the third clause of the prophecy, along with the rest, only applies to the Jews?
Would it only apply to souls in Heaven? Or nor about heaven at all?

I doubt it applies only to a whom. It seems more about a when. From a Scriptural perspective would not those who bless Israel also receive all of Israel's blessings?

Even speaking from the perspective of the church, when the church is in proper fellowship with God, the whole world is affected. Even if some blessings pertain to just the church, all mankind has part in the reward. The church is supposed to be a grass roots movement, not a government that cannot itself remain free of sin.

The whole point is removing a sin nature. That is not done without totally removing Adam's flesh and blood.

Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Six goals of the seventieth week are laid out in Daniel's prophecy. Let’s look at how the first point was understood by New Testament writers to have been fulfilled.
  • First, they finished transgression for those who believe, so the demands of law do not have to be charged against us.
This is the legal basis of justification. Transgression was finished at the Cross for all who believe! Does that mean no one sinned after the Cross? Of course not, but transgression only exists if there is law to break. Where no law exists, there is no transgression either.

True, unbelievers will be held accountable for their sin, whether they are under law or not. But the systematic code of written law, as given to Moses, has been abolished! Therefore, when the accuser brings his charge against a believer, God throws it out because that man belongs under grace. He is no longer under the former law, and for him the law has no authority to condemn. (Galatians 3:24-25)

“There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” (Romans 8:1)

So, exactly how can there be no condemnation - no transgression? It is because God does not impute (charge) sin to the believer’s account. (Romans 4:5-8) Let it not be said, however, that He cheapens justice by flicking pardons with no respect to law at all. “But He (Christ) was wounded for our transgressions.” What happened was that up until the Cross, the law required mandatory judgment upon all who transgressed it. After the atonement, however, after Messiah met the law’s demands - he effectively ended the law for those who believe, because his sacrifice paid the penalty for all transgression over all time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let’s now look at how the second goal of the seventieth week was understood by New Testament writers to have been fulfilled.
  • Second, they made an end of sins by removing the accumulated sin temporarily covered under the old covenant, as well as removing in advance sin committed under the new covenant.
Having satisfied the requirements of justice (previous post) God made an end of sins. What scripture means by “ending sin” is that “if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:8-9)

It needs to be remembered that no amount of confession under the old covenant took sins away. Animal sacrifice under this covenant only covered sin, the temple being a ‘container’ holding the accumulated guilt of those who sacrificed there. Year after year the Day of Atonement was repeated, the volume of sin expanded and the covering was extended for yet another year.

When Jesus died there was already an accumulated heap of guilt, so Daniel’s reference to “making an end of sins” meant exactly that. Christ’s Cross took it away allowing the Old Testament saints to inherit the promise even though they lived before the New Testament had begun.

“Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant.” (Hebrews 9:15)

The Cross of Christ atones for sin retrospectively and in advance. God knew those who saw in their offerings the shadow of a greater sacrifice to come, and God knows those who look back to the Cross in faith. For both of them, the blood of Jesus cleanses from all sin. He makes an end of sins (Daniel 9:24)

shadow.png

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Spiritual Jew
Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I can't figure out, if the text is saying 70 weeks are determined, why then do a lot of interpreters have everything, or almost everything recorded in verse 24, being fulfilled in 69 and 1/2 weeks? The text never says 69 and 1/2 weeks are determined to finish whatever. It says 70 weeks are determined.

If someone breaks the law, goes before a judge, a judge then sentences them to 10 years in order to finish the transgression, is the transgression finished earlier instead, say 9 and 1/2 years rather than 10 years, even if they don't get out of prison until 10 years are up?

Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
if the text is saying 70 weeks are determined, why then do a lot of interpreters have everything, or almost everything recorded in verse 24, being fulfilled in 69 and 1/2 weeks?

Fair question. In answer I say the first four things were accomplished in the middle of the seventieth week with Christ’s reconciliation on the Cross. The last two clauses took the full week. "... to anoint the most holy" began with the anointing of Christ at his baptism, and it finished with the outpouring of the Spirit. (7 years) IOW, Christ together with his Church, is the anointed temple of the New Covenant.

Upvote 0

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟308,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Six goals of the seventieth week are laid out in Daniel's prophecy:

“Seventy weeks are determined for your people and for your holy city, to finish the transgression, to make an end of sins, to make reconciliation for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy, and to anoint the Most Holy." (Daniel 9:24)

The first four of these purposes were accomplished in the middle of the seventieth week with Christ’s reconciliation on the Cross. The last two clauses took the full week. They may be summarised as follows:

• Third, they reconciled us to God whose justice was satisfied by the propitiatory sacrifice of his Son.
  • Fourth, they enabled the righteousness of Christ to be credited to those that believe on him irrespective of the wrongs we may have done.
  • Fifth, they sealed the vision, authenticating Jesus as the One from God and his ministry as the fulfilment of the promise.
  • Sixth, they raised and anointed a new temple - the Church, holy to the Lord, not made by man’s hands.
My point in summarising here is to uncover Daniel chapter nine in the major New Covenant doctrines. Although explicit reference to Daniel’s contiguous 70-weeks prophecy does not appear in the New Testament, it is clearly found in the understanding of New Testament authors.
Here is something I posted before about this that I thought would share here as well:

Here is my understanding of the fulfillment of each of the six things listed in Daniel 9:24 as I see them explained in New Testament scripture.

1. To Finish Transgression

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. 7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. 8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

Hebrews 9:15 "That is why he is the one who mediates the new covenant between God and people, so that all who are invited can receive the eternal inheritance God has promised them. For Christ died to set them free from the penalty of the sins they had committed under that first covenant."

John 4:34 "Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work."

Romans 4:15 "Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression. Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace".

John 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

2. To Put an End to Sin

Romans 8:1 "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

1 John 3:5 "And ye know that He was manifested to take away our sins; and in Him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not"

2 Cor 5:21 "For He hath made Him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him."

1 Peter 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: 22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: 23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously: 24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Hebrews 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. 11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: 12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

3. To Make Reconciliation for Iniquity

Hebrews 2:17 "Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people."

2 Corinthians 5:19 "To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them"

4. To Bring In Everlasting Righteousness

Matthew 3:15 "And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him."

Romans 5:21 "That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord."

Hebrews 1:8 "But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom."

Hebrews 9:11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; 12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

5. To Seal Up the Vision and Prophecy

Luke 18:31 "Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished."

Luke 24:44 "And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me."

Matt 26:56 "But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled."

6. To Anoint The Most Holy

Acts 10:38 "How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him."

Acts 4:27 "For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed"

Luke 4:18 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel"

The only difference I see between my view and yours is that I see the anointing of the most holy as referring to the anointing of Jesus and you see it as the anointing of His church. So, it's not a major difference. Either view is viable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟308,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I can't figure out, if the text is saying 70 weeks are determined, why then do a lot of interpreters have everything, or almost everything recorded in verse 24, being fulfilled in 69 and 1/2 weeks? The text never says 69 and 1/2 weeks are determined to finish whatever. It says 70 weeks are determined.
What it means is that those things had to be completed within 70 weeks. It doesn't mean they had to take a full 70 weeks to complete.

If someone breaks the law, goes before a judge, a judge then sentences them to 10 years in order to finish the transgression, is the transgression finished earlier instead, say 9 and 1/2 years rather than 10 years, even if they don't get out of prison until 10 years are up?
I don't see this as a valid comparison to what Daniel 9:24 is about. Daniel 9:24 is not talking about anyone being sentenced to a certain amount of time in prison or anything like that at all. It's talking about things that had to be completed within a certain amount of time. That doesn't mean it would have to take that entire amount of time for those things to be completed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟308,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi your idea is one that many hold to and I would disagree with it, as certain things you say are true but are not related to Dan 9 and the accomplishments you mention, as these 6 things are directly tied to Daniels people and the Holy city Jerusalem. The futurist view holds that the 70th week is future and the reconciliation is when Israel recognizes Jesus Christ as He comes and saves them. In Zech 14 the LORD comes and is king when Jerusalem is being overrun and the LORD is then king over all the earth. the nations that are left must now come and worship the LORD in Jerusalem every year at Tabernacles or they get no rain. The reconciliation is like Josephs brothers when they weep as Joseph revealed himself to them. Yes Jesus brought the new covenant and provided atonement for the whole word but the transgression of Daniels people was not believing in Jesus as God and savior. This specific sin is addressed and as Hosea says in the place where it was said not my people you shall be called sons of the living God." Great is the day of Jezreel. Jezreel is the same place as Armageddon. Now iin Luke 1 Jesus is the horn of salvation for the house of Jacob who will keep the prophecies covenants, oaths and promises to deliver Israel from their enemies and from that time on they will worship and serve the LORD without fear and now in holiness and righteousness all their days. There are hundreds of prophecies that show a before and after picture for Jews, Daniels people and Jerusalem that show deliverance from their enemies and a converted heart and permanent change. These prophecies are not talking about the church. The LORD delivers Israel just as Luke says and converts them at the same time and that is what the 70th week brings in for Daniels people and Jerusalem.
You said a lot here, but didn't really explain how exactly you think the six things listed in Daniel 9:24 will be fulfilled. Let's take the making an end of sins, for example. What is your understanding of the fulfillment of that?

Upvote 0

Timtofly

Jun 29, 2020
Mount Morris
✟125,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't see this as a valid comparison to what Daniel 9:24 is about. Daniel 9:24 is not talking about anyone being sentenced to a certain amount of time in prison or anything like that at all. It's talking about things that had to be completed within a certain amount of time. That doesn't mean it would have to take that entire amount of time for those things to be completed.
It means only God determines the end of the 70 weeks, not humanity.

No one will argue the point, once God declares the 70 weeks are indeed finished.

Upvote 0

grafted branch

Site Supporter
Feb 21, 2019
Washington
✟260,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Animal sacrifice under this covenant only covered sin, the temple being a ‘container’ holding the accumulated guilt of those who sacrificed there. Year after year the Day of Atonement was repeated, the volume of sin expanded and the covering was extended for yet another year.
This idea that the sins were stored or accumulated in the temple is new to me. I don’t necessarily have any issues with this, I have wondered if anyone ever cleaned the holy of holy or if God miraculously kept it clean.

Do you have any verses that show sins being accumulated in the temple?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This idea that the sins were stored or accumulated in the temple is new to me. I don’t necessarily have any issues with this, I have wondered if anyone ever cleaned the holy of holy or if God miraculously kept it clean.

Do you have any verses that show sins being accumulated in the temple?

It's my way of explaining the difference between Old Testament atonement and New Testament atonement. When we do a word study of what we call 'atonement' the O.T always uses the Hebrew word, 'Kaphar' which means 'to cover.' For example:

Thou hast forgiven the iniquity of thy people, thou hast covered all their sin. (Psalm 85:2)

The N.T. never says 'covered' but always says 'reconciled.' Permanent reconciliation is far superior to 'covered' and can only be achieved when sin is taken away completely! So, we have verses like,

"You know that he appeared in order to take away sins, and in him there is no sin." (1 John 3:5)

As for cleaning Im not sure how hygiene was done. :nomouth: I had better consult Edersheim.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You said a lot here, but didn't really explain how exactly you think the six things listed in Daniel 9:24 will be fulfilled. Let's take the making an end of sins, for example. What is your understanding of the fulfillment of that?
hi and thanks for asking the question as it is a thoughtful question. Lets make a few points clear one is Jesus brought in the new covenant for the removal of sins. So many leap to the conclusion that this is what Dan 9 is talking about. Reconciliation too can be argued to be at the cross and for us who believe it is the place where that is achieved. In Daniel 9 these things are specifically applied to Daniels people and the Holy city of Jerusalem. Now there is a ton of passages I can show that show a distinct before and after picture for Daniels people and the Holy city that intersect at the 2nd coming. It is much like Joseph being revealed to his brothers and they wept and repented and were accepted. This is what happens at the 2nd coming and why I. bring up Luke one which says Jesus will fulfill the promises, covenants, oaths and prophecies that the house of Jacob, (Daniel People ) will be delivered from their enemies by Jesus to enter a time of worshipping and serving the LORD without fear and now in holiness and righteousness all the days of their lives. Now Luke 1 does not give the list of promises prophecies, covenants and oaths that declare this. I can share with you many of these passages cut and pasted that tell you this exact result that is achieved at the 2nd coming. If you like I would take the time to present it but it will be a long list. Think of Jesus on the road with the two disciples on the road and going through the law and prophets expounding the scriptures that showed how the christ needed to die and be raised on the 3rd day, there are a lot more passages about this transition that tell the same story Daniel 9 and Luke one are related.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
prophecy

Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

fulfilment

Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the most holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
6. To Anoint The Most Holy
Acts 10:38 "How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him."

So, his anointing occurred at his baptism and he continued in the power of the Holy Ghost for the next 3 1/2 years.

The only difference I see between my view and yours is that I see the anointing of the most holy as referring to the anointing of Jesus and you see it as the anointing of His church. So, it's not a major difference. Either view is viable.
Actually, I see the ‘most holy’ as Christ plus his Church. Thanks for your post and the good scriptures.

Upvote 0

grafted branch

Site Supporter
Feb 21, 2019
Washington
✟260,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lets make a few points clear one is Jesus brought in the new covenant for the removal of sins. So many leap to the conclusion that this is what Dan 9 is talking about. Reconciliation too can be argued to be at the cross and for us who believe it is the place where that is achieved. In Daniel 9 these things are specifically applied to Daniels people and the Holy city of Jerusalem.
Hi Brian, do you think that the Daniel 9:24 list was fulfilled in a spiritual manner with the physical fulfillment still future? Or do you think it is both spiritually and physically unfulfilled? Or maybe you see it only partially fulfilled?

Upvote 0