Feb 7, 2004
Louisville
Visit site
✟16,062.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Others
I don't visit this forum much, so apologies if this has been done before, but I was just wondering if there is anybody who really feels like they could make it without ever marrying?

For a while I've questioned my satisfaction with being single. Thankfully, after much examination of my heart and attitudes, I really think it is a legitimate possibility. So yeah, just wondering if anybody else feels the same way?

If there are posts, and you guys know about it, could you link me?

In His Grip,
Cass

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In all honesty, I would say no, I would not feel content being single all my life. I sincerely hope that that is not God's plan for me. I could probably bear it, but I would have a bad attitude about it and I would struggle greatly with it each and everyday.

Upvote 0

haya

daughter of the King
Jan 17, 2004
USA
✟25,105.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
mina said:
In all honesty, I would say no, I would not feel content being single all my life. I sincerely hope that that is not God's plan for me. I could probably bear it, but I would have a bad attitude about it and I would struggle greatly with it each and everyday.

I agree with most of what Mina said.
I'd have to:
1) have firm confirmation from God that it's His will for me (otherwise I'd be keeping my eyes open for "the one" -- it'd be distracting and disheartening)
and
2) have the Holy Spirit's supernatural help -- "My grace is sufficient for you."

Upvote 0

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟15,957.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
haya said:
I agree with most of what Mina said.
I'd have to:
1) have firm confirmation from God that it's His will for me (otherwise I'd be keeping my eyes open for "the one" -- it'd be distracting and disheartening)
and
2) have the Holy Spirit's supernatural help -- "My grace is sufficient for you."

Yeah and even then it would not be easy for me. I will strive to do whatever God's will is, but singleness to me is a cross. I will take it up as long as God wants me to do so, but from what I do know I don't think God is that cruel. That is I don't think God would make this such a deep seated need in my heart and then put me to singleness.

I don't want to demean or belittle those who have that ability to be single. If you are given that and see it as a gift, you are indeed blessed. And I am glad that our God has touched you so. But it is not a gift I understand or want. I suppose you might call it a matter of taste. As Christians we are not all called to the same things. Jesus and Paul both said it is not given to everybody. And while single time has certainly been given to me, I don't see it as a lifetime gift. And I think I have God's answer that it shall not always be so for me. Soon He will bless me, I have been told by the Holy Spirit. But I have had many anxious moments and as singleness is not given to me, I am not blessed with great faith. So as a son of God I often feel hurt at what seems to me to be a bad idea. I don't mean for any bitterness or sorrow to be an indictment of those who have the gift of singleness. But I do strike out in anger, for which I do apologize. I am still very much a work in progress, like Paul said in Philipians.

Upvote 0

crimsonxbeauty

WAR, WAR IN THE HEART THERE’S WAR!
Jul 8, 2004
San Diego, California
✟8,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Be careful saying that though. People can be happy and joyful without ever being married, or ever dating. I know someone who is at peace and happy with the idea of never marrying. He doesn't want a wife, he wants to focus on God completely. If God has given you a heart to not pursue a spouse, so be it. That is Gods will for you. Don't say that people wouldn't be happy. There is joy in the Lord.

Upvote 0

eutychus

the phlegmatic one
Feb 7, 2004
Louisville
Visit site
✟16,062.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Others
crimsonxbeauty said:
Be careful saying that though. People can be happy and joyful without ever being married, or ever dating. I know someone who is at peace and happy with the idea of never marrying. He doesn't want a wife, he wants to focus on God completely. If God has given you a heart to not pursue a spouse, so be it. That is Gods will for you. Don't say that people wouldn't be happy. There is joy in the Lord.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it is with me. God's really given me the desire to be a missionary overseas, and for years I've actually worried about how I would fulfill all the responsibilities of a wife and mother while at the same time serving in the type of ministry that I feel called. Don't get me wrong, for a long time I figured God would work it all out and everything, but then I realized that I would rather just serve the Lord in that respect with my whole being.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums