The gift of tongues, a biblical defense of a most controversial gift.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,883.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know otherwise. My life wouldn't be worth living without some gifts of the Holy Spirit mentioned in 1 Corinthians 12.

I guess those who don't believe in the gifts don't believe in the Baptism of the Spirit either...

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,352.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mr. G would you like to start this new thread and present your own position as I don't want to misrepresent you...

I see no need on my part, since that scripture passage speaks for itself. You are the only one I have encountered who changed the literal meaning of the passage into something else.

But if you want to, be my guest.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,883.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am always cool, never did I call you names nor express any emotional terms in any post to you so far right?

I thought this comment was somewhat demeaning...

Or is this another one of your "you are understanding scriptural intellectually without really understanding it thru the inspiration of the Holy Spirit", thus allowing you to interpret that whichever way you want, to suit your purpose?

We should be able to consider different interpretations without being called out as reprobate.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,352.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought this comment was somewhat demeaning...

Or is this another one of your "you are understanding scriptural intellectually without really understanding it thru the inspiration of the Holy Spirit", thus allowing you to interpret that whichever way you want, to suit your purpose?

We should be able to consider different interpretations without being called out as reprobate.

You mean you consider that as "calling you names"?

I am quoting your own comments there. The gift of tongues, a biblical defense of a most controversial gift.

Sorry, my English is not that advanced to use nor understand the term reprobate.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,883.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You mean you consider that as "calling you names"?

I am quoting your own comments there.

Sorry, my English is not that advanced to use nor understand the term reprobate.

All good - let's move on...

• Friendly
Reactions: Guojing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"The church, as the house of God, ... enjoys the goods which adorn God’s house: divine conversation, sacred instruction, and the [charismata] of the Holy Spirit. Among them are the word of wisdom, the word of knowledge, faith, healings, and tongues.”

Eusebius, “Commentary on Psalms, 64:5-9

Written some time of the Nicene council.

Remember that we had all the books completed over 200 years before Eusebius wrote this comment. We had a canonical list in NT books from Irenaeus circa 180 that list excludes four New Testament books (Philemon, 2 Peter, 3 John, and Jude). Not that they didn't have those books and claims that they should be considered authoritative by then.

Again, those claiming "The perfect," is synonymous with closing of the canon of scripture have some heavy lifting to do if they are to explain 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, references to Charasmatic gifts still occurring centuries after "the perfect," had already come.

Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My wife and I were in LA a couple months back. Ran into an individual that thought that the moon landing was fabricated not far from the West Hollywood apartment we were visiting. I asked about the men who claimed to be there and land, the samples, the other evidence? All faked he said and then talked about a warehouse where it had been staged.

As someone who has practiced the gifts since 1976, and led others in the same practice (and helped others still gain a more mature practice of same as Paul was attempting in 1 Cor 12-14), I find the lack of questioning about my testimony of how God has used some of these gifts to be telling!

Reading the comments of those denying (or even misrepresenting) church history, and ignoring testimony of people using gifts gives me a sense of deja vu stangely similar to my LA aquaintenance and the faked moon landing.

I would suggest a more consistent epistemology if one is to gain maturity. The gifts are not a requirement. But a local body that despises these unique God-given gifts, mocks God, and is quite emaciated in operating as a body.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
To be honest, I wouldn't expect very ordinary people to be speaking in Chinese or whatever foreign language. I have never had any desire to speak in tongues, so have never sought the gift, but my father used to and interpret as well, and he used to see images that he would describe, so not a language as we think of it.
I call the latter words of knowledge if the pictures have to do with the current, or past. These same pictures attend future prophetic gifting. Finally, God uses pictures sometimes when I'm praying for deliverance..

• Agree
Reactions: 1an
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I guess those who don't believe in the gifts don't believe in the Baptism of the Spirit either...

Here may be a good question for another post.

It is controversial. I used to hold the Charasmatic view until now believe that all believers are Baptised by the HS and are partakers of his nature (origin of our new nature), and that what we witnessed in Acts 13-19, especially 19), was an anomaly. That there is sepcial filling of the spirit, which enables one to build others up in specific ways that are not available to others or to us when we weren't filled.
These can come and go even.

So while all who are in Christ are baptised by HS, not all are filled, and not all are gifted. My experience is that all who want to work in the gifts eventually receive some supernatural gifting. But start a new post and we can discuss it.

Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums