Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
What is the "form of God" that is spoken of in this verse?

Philippians 2: 5-9

5. Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

6. Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

7. But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

8. And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

9. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

:)

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

7. But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

8. And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

9. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

Gosh - sometimes you Mormons come up with some sticky wickets...

I can't do much with this passage on an empty stomach, but I'll come back after a while

In any case - it starts out with us "being of a certain mind" that Jesus had -- so it IS possible for us to be of this same mind

As to the exact nature of the "form" of God - and also the nature of the word "robbery"

I prophesy that this will take quite a bit of ecumenical exegesis to unravel...

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Matthew 1:23

“The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”).

referencing the OT prophecy in Isaiah 7:14

" Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel."

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The Greek word μορφή is used only three times in the NT, two of them right here (form of God, form of a servant).

This passage is clearly describing his pre-incarnate position. And that position was as the Word of God, widely considered by second temple Jews to be a manifestation of God himself.

So I think this is a way of describing the pre-incarnate deity of Christ. I'm comfortable with it, and consider it a support verse for orthodox Christian beliefs.

Upvote 0

Ripheus27

Holeless fox
Dec 23, 2012
✟15,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The passage in question also admits of "having the same nature/essence as God" for a translation, so it seems to be the claim that Jesus was a divine being (whatever a divine being is supposed to be, here). If we mean that the Father and Jesus are both, as it were, members of the species "deity," then we are just saying They belong to the same species, and thus share the specific form; but if we mean that Jesus and the Father are the same member of the species "deity," then we are saying that Jesus was "part of" the Father, as it were, or rather "part of" the essence the Father has for Himself. Not two examples of a category but the same example, existing somehow as both the person Jesus Christ as well as the person of the Father, in that case.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

In this instance form would be synonymous with "divine" spirit.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 1:23

“The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”).

referencing the OT prophecy in Isaiah 7:14

" Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel."

What is your point?

:o

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The Greek word μορφή is used only three times in the NT, two of them right here (form of God, form of a servant).

This passage is clearly describing his pre-incarnate position. And that position was as the Word of God, widely considered by second temple Jews to be a manifestation of God himself.

So I think this is a way of describing the pre-incarnate deity of Christ. I'm comfortable with it, and consider it a support verse for orthodox Christian beliefs.

Can you post a link to your source?

When I checked Strongs this is the result I got.

Morphe

I. the form by which a person or thing strikes the vision

II. external appearance

That doesn't seem to match what you have provided.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The passage in question also admits of "having the same nature/essence as God" for a translation, so it seems to be the claim that Jesus was a divine being (whatever a divine being is supposed to be, here). If we mean that the Father and Jesus are both, as it were, members of the species "deity," then we are just saying They belong to the same species, and thus share the specific form; but if we mean that Jesus and the Father are the same member of the species "deity," then we are saying that Jesus was "part of" the Father, as it were, or rather "part of" the essence the Father has for Himself. Not two examples of a category but the same example, existing somehow as both the person Jesus Christ as well as the person of the Father, in that case.

I appreciate your insight into the verse. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
We are to humble ourselves and serve others . Jesus came as a Lamb and although as God he could have commanded and ruled he rather humbled himself and took on the lowly nature of a humble servant of God as a man but sinless

That seems to be the gist of the chapter. Do you mean that form is to be understood as humble service? That Jesus and God both share the trait of humble service?

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Can you post a link to your source?

When I checked Strongs this is the result I got.

Morphe

I. the form by which a person or thing strikes the vision

II. external appearance

That doesn't seem to match what you have provided.

Sure. Here: Home

The bibliography contains links to various articles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

It means that although Jesus was a human in all respects (except for sin), he did not shy away from understanding that he was also God. He, therefore, consciously determined to take on all that would normally be seen as demeaning to any god . This included an acceptance of his place as a humble man, of low estate, a laborer, and obedient, even to the point of allowing himself to become a victim of crucifixion although innocent of any crime.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
In this instance form would be synonymous with "divine" spirit.
Bingo. :thumbsup: Keeping in mind that Philipians is talking to born again spirit filled Christians. And we all have a "divine spirit" whose father is God. We all, like Jesus, have the ability to have the same mind as the spirit of the Christ which in-dwelled, the man, Jesus the Christ. That being that our spirit came out of His spirit. And it is that spirit that allowed Jesus to say "Ye are gods".

HEB 12:9 Besides this, we have had earthly fathers to discipline us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live?

IOW we are all sons of God after our spirit and we are all sons of man after our flesh. And when we are truly led/walking according to that holy spirit in us, which upon rebirth is "one with the Lord" to whom we are joined, then we too will be capable of dojing "greater things" than Jesus did.

Upvote 0