Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
'Ello, I'm just curious about what Christians tend to think about the Flood. Just say what you believe - there's no wrong answer.

(1a) The Flood was global and occurred as depicted.

(1b) The Flood was global but God also intervened in unmentioned ways (e.g. helping freshwater fish to survive).

(1c) The Flood was local.

(1d) I don't know whether the Flood was global or local but it was one of these.

(1e) I don't know and no one can know whether the Flood was global or local but it was one of these.

(2a) The Flood story is a retelling of a previous flood story and it did not involve Noah.

(2b) The Flood story is a metaphor.

(3a) I don't know how to evaluate the Flood story.

(3b) I don't know how to evaluate the Flood story and no one else does either.

If you picked from the (1) choices, please pick from one of these in your reply:

(1i) God allowed all life to suffer in the course of dying.

(1ii) God allowed only the wicked to suffer; animals and babies died painlessly.

(1iii) I don't care whether innocent beings suffered.

(1iv) No innocent beings suffered because there were no innocent beings.

(1v) I don't know how the suffering was distributed but I hope for case (1i).

(1vi) I don't know how the suffering was distributed but I hope for case (1ii).

If you picked from one of the (2) choices then please explain what you think the story means or why it was included.

If I neglected to mention a possibility, please share that possibility - even if it's not your belief.

Thanks!

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
'Ello, I'm just curious about what Christians tend to think about the Flood. Just say what you believe - there's no wrong answer.

(1a) The Flood was global and occurred as depicted.

(1b) The Flood was global but God also intervened in unmentioned ways (e.g. helping freshwater fish to survive).

(1c) The Flood was local.

(1d) I don't know whether the Flood was global or local but it was one of these.

(1e) I don't know and no one can know whether the Flood was global or local but it was one of these.

(2a) The Flood story is a retelling of a previous flood story and it did not involve Noah.

(2b) The Flood story is a metaphor.

(3a) I don't know how to evaluate the Flood story.

(3b) I don't know how to evaluate the Flood story and no one else does either.

If you picked from the (1) choices, please pick from one of these in your reply:

(1i) God allowed all life to suffer in the course of dying.

(1ii) God allowed only the wicked to suffer; animals and babies died painlessly.

(1iii) I don't care whether innocent beings suffered.

(1iv) No innocent beings suffered because there were no innocent beings.

(1v) I don't know how the suffering was distributed but I hope for case (1i).

(1vi) I don't know how the suffering was distributed but I hope for case (1ii).

If you picked from one of the (2) choices then please explain what you think the story means or why it was included.

If I neglected to mention a possibility, please share that possibility - even if it's not your belief.

Thanks!
I noticed you worded your questions to make it look like God was a bad guy if the flood happened.

Upvote 0

jargew

Aug 6, 2012
✟12,751.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I noticed you worded your questions to make it look like God was a bad guy if the flood happened.

Hi -57,
You might further notice that "Nihilist Virus" is an Atheist who has been promoting this sort of agenda in over 2,300 posts. Now that's passion for you.I really wonder what could make someone want to spend such an inordinate amount of time contradicting a particular theology? I wonder if he/she was hurt by a Christian at some point?

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi -57,
You might further notice that "Nihilist Virus" is an Atheist who has been promoting this sort of agenda in over 2,300 posts. Now that's passion for you.I really wonder what could make someone want to spend such an inordinate amount of time contradicting a particular theology? I wonder if he/she was hurt by a Christian at some point?

I'd have to say they fit into Romans 1:18-32

Upvote 0

jargew

Aug 6, 2012
✟12,751.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Stick to the thread please, people. If you think I'm wording it in a way that frames God poorly, feel free to word it differently.

I'm just here to see what Christians believe. If you have a gripe, take it to private message.

I would humbly suggest that you already know precisely what we believe. Over the course of your 2,300 comments and having read thousands of posts by Christians here responding to your posts, you are very dialed-in to our beliefs. You probably know more about Christian thought than some Christians here.
If I had interacted with Hindu folk 2,300 times and read thousands of responses to my questions I'm quite certain I would know exactly how they think about certain stories in the Bhagavad Gita. After asking so many questions to those participating in the Hindu religion, I'm not sure how much more I could "learn".

Could you summarize what you have learned in your 2,300 posts and what are your expectations for further learning? What is your hypothesis?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: marineimaging
Upvote 0

JD16

What Would Evolution Do?
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2017
Melbourne
✟64,888.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Is there any way to look like a good guy when you're responsible for a world wide genocide, including innocent children and animals?

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I would humbly suggest that you already know precisely what we believe. Over the course of your 2,300 comments and having read thousands of posts by Christians here responding to your posts, you are very dialed-in to our beliefs. You probably know more about Christian thought than some Christians here.
If I had interacted with Hindu folk 2,300 times and read thousands of responses to my questions I'm quite certain I would know exactly how they think about certain stories in the Bhagavad Gita. After asking so many questions to those participating in the Hindu religion, I'm not sure how much more I could "learn".

Could you summarize what you have learned in your 2,300 posts and what are your expectations for further learning? What is your hypothesis?

Off topic. All I'll say is that I thought I knew what Christianity was before I came here, but now I'm more confused than ever. Hence the poll.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JD16

What Would Evolution Do?
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2017
Melbourne
✟64,888.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I suppose you know all about the pre-flood world.

If the infants were free from sin....then I suppose they are currently in a better place.

I've read the bible, and no, I don't think that is how it when down. And are you really going with that? An excuse for genocide? Its ok to kill an innocent child, cause we're sending him/her to a better place?

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So choice 1iv for you then? Or would you prefer to reword it?
The bible says ....11 Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. 12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. 13 So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth.

God said enough is enough. It's probably good the "innocent" infants died...this way they couldn't grow up an face a deeper level of Gods wrath.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've read the bible, and no, I don't think that is how it when down. And are you really going with that? An excuse for genocide? Its ok to kill an innocent child, cause we're sending him/her to a better place?

If you read the bible you would then know the reason for the flood. You post like you have never read the folld account.

The fact is that sin affects all of society, not just those who intentionally engage in evil. When a society promotes abortion, babies die as a result. When a father or mother begins taking meth, their children will suffer as a result. And, in the case of Noah’s generation, when a culture gives itself over to violence and aberrant sexuality, the children suffered. Humanity brought the flood upon themselves and upon their own children. ref

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JD16

What Would Evolution Do?
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2017
Melbourne
✟64,888.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you read the bible you would then know the reason for the flood. You post like you have never read the folld account.

I'm interested in what Christians have to say about it, if they approved of such acts,....apparently you do, and that kinda mindset is terrifying to say the least. No different from a modern day jihadi

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm interested in what Christians have to say about it, if they approved of such acts,....apparently you do, and that kinda mindset is terrifying to say the least. No different from a modern day jihadi

What a strange thing to say. You act as if I enjoy the fact people died in the flood. You seem to think the pre-flood world man was wonderful and widh it was still here today. Yet you mock your creator for cleaning up the mess man created?

Upvote 0

JD16

What Would Evolution Do?
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2017
Melbourne
✟64,888.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What a strange thing to say. You act as if I enjoy the fact people died in the flood. You seem to think the pre-flood world man was wonderful and widh it was still here today. Yet you mock your creator for cleaning up the mess man created?

Its the fact that you approve of it, and thought that no one is innocent that is scary. And what is the difference between the supposed 'pre-flood' world and the constant wars we have today? I don't recognize any creator, therefore have no idea what you're on about regarding 'cleaning up the mess'

But I digress, we're derailing the thread, lets get back on track

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Its the fact that you approve of it, and thought that no one is innocent that is scary. And what is the difference between the supposed 'pre-flood' world and the constant wars we have today? I don't recognize any creator, therefore have no idea what you're on about regarding 'cleaning up the mess'

But I digress, we're derailing the thread, lets get back on track

I added this to an earlier post after you replied back.

The fact is that sin affects all of society, not just those who intentionally engage in evil. When a society promotes abortion, babies die as a result. When a father or mother begins taking meth, their children will suffer as a result. And, in the case of Noah’s generation, when a culture gives itself over to violence and aberrant sexuality, the children suffered. Humanity brought the flood upon themselves and upon their own children. ref

Who was guilty for the death of babies in Japan when the two bombs were dropped? You would be forced to argue the USA was guilty.

Upvote 0

JD16

What Would Evolution Do?
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2017
Melbourne
✟64,888.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I added this to an earlier post after you replied back.

Who was guilty for the death of babies in Japan when the two bombs were dropped? You would be forced to argue the USA was guilty.

This is where we have to agree to disagree, I do not subscribe to collective guilt. The individual and the individual alone is guilty for his or her actions and no one else should bear any consequences for such actions. As to who was responsible for the 2 bombs, I would argue it was the CIC who gave the order.

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0