Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read it when my husband and I were dating. It was interesting, and I think it gives some valuable insight, but overall it just told me things I mostly already knew. I mean, my love language is quality time, and I already knew this. This book can improve communication and understanding between couples, but I don't think it can solve massive problems or create what's not already there - i.e., the desire to make your partner/spouse feel loved in the ways most important to them. The book can help facilitate that, though.

Reactions: Khalliqa
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I refer to this book often enough that I should probably read it, heh. Based on what @Poppyseed78 says, perhaps it is most valuable for people that have fewer years of introspection under their belt.

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. May I ask what prompted you to get the book?

I checked it out of the library, since I rarely buy books. My church recommended it for couples that were dating, so I decided to give it a try. Also, after having been in a bad relationship previously, I was trying to do everything possible to do things differently. Part of that was reading relationship books. Some were helpful, some were mostly just common sense.

Upvote 0

puregrl

Jun 7, 2005
North Carolina
✟15,525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I may have to re-read this book but I thought it was kinda cheesy first time around. lol Who ever heard of a "looove tank"?! Baby, I'm runnin' on fumes. Time to fill up the ol' tank! :p
Bahaha....the premarital counseling videos we did with our pastor had a guy that mentioned that. We refer to the Love Tank all the time for fun.

Upvote 0

Khalliqa

Sep 30, 2006
✟28,944.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I may have to re-read this book but I thought it was kinda cheesy first time around. lol Who ever heard of a "looove tank"?! Baby, I'm runnin' on fumes. Time to fill up the ol' tank! :p
I like the visual

When I first started dating my bf mentioned deposits.. I thought it was crass and emotionally removed..

Until he put in the work to make them..

The reality of the words is a much more meaningful experience... however one may visualize it..

We've gotten through the first three chapters which does not present new information but presents a needed refresher..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anyone reading this? Or have read it and followed the book?
It probably works for many or most people; but is useless for those who have suffered from sexual, physical or spiritual abuse. A main part of the premise is finding your primary (and secondary) "Love Language." Many people take the test and have no definitive answer.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is a relationship classic, both in and out of the church for a reason, it has value for most people. Dave-W points out correctly that no book, including this one, is a perfect one to help all couples. But it is one of the best out there.

Reactions: Kindled
Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
The book is a little simplistic, but can certainly raise awareness. The thing is that no matter how many books you read, they are meaningless unless you actually do what's in them. And for this book, I'd suggest discarding the idea that we all have one primary love language and maybe a secondary. Get rid of all that thinking and learn to speak them all to each other as well as to any children who come along. Also, don't get limited to thinking there's only a box of five. There are other love languages as well.

Reactions: Kindled
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Llleopard

Jun 5, 2018
Hawkes Bay New Zealand
✟135,729.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It probably works for many or most people; but is useless for those who have suffered from sexual, physical or spiritual abuse. A main part of the premise is finding your primary (and secondary) "Love Language." Many people take the test and have no definitive answer.
I would have to disagree with you on this one d w! My first two marriages were physically and sexually as well as mentally abusive. When I was finally single again I was a very mixed up person very out of touch with ordinary ways of relating. The aspergers doesn't help either! Reading love Lang helped me understand how to show love successfully to my new awesome husband. even though I struggle to understand it, I follow the method and it works . With years of kindness from him, we have found my love Lang too and I am mostly healed and able to receive love yay

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would have to disagree with you on this one d w! My first two marriages were physically and sexually as well as mentally abusive. When I was finally single again I was a very mixed up person very out of touch with ordinary ways of relating. The aspergers doesn't help either! Reading love Lang helped me understand how to show love successfully to my new awesome husband. even though I struggle to understand it, I follow the method and it works . With years of kindness from him, we have found my love Lang too and I am mostly healed and able to receive love yay
I am glad for you.

My wife and I read the LL book almost 20 years ago. We took the tests at the end and she had no love language. She came up negative for every one of the options. There was a foot note we found that said people who had severe abuse as children often did not develop a love language because they mentally walled themselves off.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0