The feet of a deer

jerry ralph

Oct 14, 2004
mountain grove missouri
Visit site
✟8,687.00
Faith
Christian
“Man for all his genius is but an echo of the original Voice, a reflection of the uncreated Light.”

A. W. TOZER

“The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights.”

HABAKKUK 3:19 NIV

The Book of Habakkuk is a short prophetic book of three chapters. Share with me the quote from the introduction of the book. This is from the Zondervan New International Version.

“Habakkuk was written as a dialogue or conversation between God and the prophet. He saw that the leaders were oppressing the poor, so he asked why God allowed the wicked to prosper. Having received replies, he responds with a beautiful confession of faith. His confession became a public _expression and appears to have been used as a psalm.”

When I was in treatment for alcohol and drug addiction, one of the counselors as an assignment, told us to read the book of Habakkuk. Treatment involves the nurturing of spirituality, but seldom will one of the books of the Bible be used. The counselor was a Christian and knew of the therapeutic value the book held. Habakkuk starts out by asking God, “How long O LORD, must I call for help, but you do not listen?” My, there are many of us who have hit bottom in our lives and understand this cry for help. We feel all alone and think that everyone has abandoned us including God. Of course this view of life is seen through the self-centered eyes of self-inflicted pain. When I speak of the self, I am referring to the ego, the emotions, and the will of the inner being found in all of us. The self has a very dim view of reality while under the influence and effects of alcohol. It is seen by the beady little eyes that always look outside to see what can be received, very seldom is the view directed toward giving. If by the grace of God we are able to reach a point where we desire a turn-around in our lives, one of the first fruits of our recovery will be the sharing of our experiences, our strengths, and our hopes. As we desire to help others by our sharing, our view of life broadens. As our view broadens we are able to at first get just a glimpse of the Divine workings going on around us. God and those who have been willing to offer us help up, to the heights of a new life, have always been there. Our narrow and dim view seen only through the eyes of self have blocked out the Light.

As Habakkuk continues on, God gives an answer to his questions in the second chapter. The third chapter is the prophets prayer, and praise to God. Habakkuk’s attitude was turned around by a view into the Divine. I am learning that as I reach out to others that have suffered with the same afflictions as myself, my vision improves, and I find that God is doing for me what I could not do for myself………………..JRE

“Lord of all being! Thou alone canst affirm I AM THAT I AM; yet we who are made in Thine image may each one repeat ‘I am,’ so confessing that we drive from Thee and that our words are but an echo of Thine own. We acknowledge Thee to be the great Original of which we through Thy goodness are grateful in imperfect copies. We worship Thee, O Father Everlasting. Amen.”

A.W. TOZER