The Fault in Our Stars by J Green ok for Christians?

A

abovetheclouds

Hi. Anyone here read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green? Is it ok for Christians? The reason I ask is because I know some Young Adult books can be explicit and also have a lot of bad language. I really want to read this book because the blurb sounds so interesting but I don't want to read it if Jesus wouldn't be ok with it.
Anyone read the book and have any opinions on it?

G

godlywomanhood

Hi. Anyone here read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green? Is it ok for Christians? The reason I ask is because I know some Young Adult books can be explicit and also have a lot of bad language. I really want to read this book because the blurb sounds so interesting but I don't want to read it if Jesus wouldn't be ok with it.
Anyone read the book and have any opinions on it?

From what I've read/heard about it, I think it isn't too bad content wise. I would be more concerned about you needing to guard your heart as you read it, because I hear that it is pretty intense emotionally. Just make sure you're ready before reading it, or it might cast a shadow over all that Christmas cheer :)

I am currently hosting a giveaway on my blog, and the winner gets a bundle of 6 paperback books (which will be posted just in time for Christmas) - do check it out if it sounds like something you'd be interested in!

Upvote 0

jordys

Dec 26, 2011
✟7,655.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For me, the problem was that as a Christian, I walked away from the book incredibly unfulfilled. Is it okay to read? If you know what you believe and can separate that from a fiction story, then yes. Would I recommend it? No. There are better books out there.

Reactions: SoldierOfSoul
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I bought TFIOS as soon as it was available and cried my way through when I was 14, and then raved about it everyone. I read the entire book in one night because I couldn't put it down. I don't think I'd be as captivated by it now, though, and I wouldn't recommend to it an adult who is a serious reader because it is likely to be unsatisfying. It's a "sick lit" young adult novel written by an author who is a young adult. I read all of John Green's earlier books between the ages of 12 and 13, and didn't feel they were too explicit. I loved them all then. I don't know if I would have if I'd read them now. Many books I've read for school have had way more explicit scenes, including ones that are considered to be classic literature.
So, personally, I think it's fine for a Christian, and especially for one who is an adult and not as impressionable anymore.

If you're really concerned, though, you could probably find Christian reviews of it online. One of my friends has incredibly strict parents who read through reviews on a Christian site of every book and movie she is interested in first. She's shown it to me before but I can't remember the exact name. I think it's operated by the Focus on the Family people. They also have reviews of TV shows. It breaks reviews down by a general synopsis and then delves into specifics about what they feel is a positive and a negative for Christians, and giving recommendations.

Upvote 0