St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You're old enough to remember those days before Roe v. Wade, when a working class girl who slipped up was thrown out of school into an unwise and hasty marriage or the shame of unwed motherhood, her hope of further education at an end. The rich girl, on the other hand, could take a couple of weeks of "vacation" in the middle of the term to visit previously unmentioned relatives in Sweden and her life went on as before.

Reactions: Bugeyedcreepy
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You're old enough to remember those days before Roe v. Wade, when a working class girl who slipped up was thrown out of school into an unwise and hasty marriage or the shame of unwed motherhood, her hope of further education at an end. The rich girl, on the other hand, could take a couple of weeks of "vacation" in the middle of the term to visit previously unmentioned relatives in Sweden and her life went on as before.
:sigh:

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are we done now?
I have no idea. I haven't seen you present anything to back up your claim that science has anything to do with deciding whether abortion should be allowed or not. If that's all you've got, then yes, we're done here.
You just went off the deep end, and frankly, I don't like your colors.
By telling you that the Bible wasn't written in English? Seriously?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If that's all you've got, then yes, we're done here.
Well, I had as my sockdolager the question:

"In your opinion, will Jesus allow abortions during His millennial kingdom,"

... but your remark about the Bible totally blindsided me, and I've lost so much respect for ... let's just say this conversation ... that I'll end it with:

Have a nice day.

If this was my thread, now would be a good time to request thread closure.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
... but your remark about the Bible totally blindsided me, and I've lost so much respect for ... let's just say this conversation ... that I'll end it with:

Have a nice day.
Is it really news to you that many Christians think the Bible is best read in the original languages? And you really lose so much respect for those who believe that?

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Creationism must have such explanatory power as well as it can also answer this question.

The Chicken, because it was created fully formed and already capable of reproducing it's own kind.

That's just an assertion, not an explanation.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Even if humans did evolve from monkeys that doesn't mean God doesn't exist so if you win this debate how have you promoted atheism? It seems like you're fighting a battle in which a victory is meaningless to your cause.

Most christians actually have no problems with evolution theory.
The topic is addressing creationists in particular. Not "theists" in general.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Belief in evolution can get nasty.

tumblr_nqrketePcY1s2unypo1_500-5921.jpg

Belief in christianity can get nasty

Christian militias in Central African Republic 'burnt witches at stake', says UN report

• Haha
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
No. He is just saying that if there is no God, then people can do what they like

Then why are atheists in prisons completely outnumbered by theists out of proportion compared to the actual percentage of atheists in the overall population?

And it's an easy idea to test as well by the way....

Grab a baseball bat, go out and start smacking random people in the face.
See what happens.

I'll guarantee you that no "supernatural" or "divine" judgement will befall you.
I also guarantee that you won't be getting away with it.

with no fear of a final judgment when they have to account for what they do in their lives.

And you don't "like" that and the true nature of reality somehow is dependend on what you happen to like?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,240.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Then why are atheists in prisons completely outnumbered by theists out of proportion compared to the actual percentage of atheists in the overall population?

And it's an easy idea to test as well by the way....

Grab a baseball bat, go out and start smacking random people in the face.
See what happens.

I'll guarantee you that no "supernatural" or "divine" judgement will befall you.
I also guarantee that you won't be getting away with it.

And you don't "like" that and the true nature of reality somehow is dependend on what you happen to like?
Good on ya mate. Go and live your life the way you want and the best of British luck to you!

• Informative
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Good on ya mate. Go and live your life the way you want and the best of British luck to you!

I'll take that as an acknowledgement of the point I made.
Otherwise, you would have actually given a reply to the points raised instead of this showstopper of a comment.

• Agree
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
So was the OP I was mimicking.

The difference is that there's an entire body of knowledge behind the evolutionary explanation, consisting of more then 200.000 peer reviewed scientific publications on the matter.

While creationism is a "just so" story from the bronze age.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's interesting that the Israelites used brass, not bronze.

What's even more interesting is that some (all?) of Satan's "better versions" say "brass," which just happens to be the same metal that scientards say they used.

Coincidence?

Not hardly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
The difference is that there's an entire body of knowledge behind the evolutionary explanation, consisting of more then 200.000 peer reviewed scientific publications on the matter.

LOL! Ok, whatever makes you feel better.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
LOL! Ok, whatever makes you feel better.

Reality doesn't exist to make me feel better.
Neither does it make me feel better in any particular way.

It's just the way it is.

Evolution is a scientific theory backed by some 200 years worth of rigorous research that has faced the extreme scrutiny of the scientific process and managed to stand tall and survive all that.

While creationism is a religious idea that has to be taken on faith, and which (depending on which incarnation of the idea you adhere to) flies in the face of observable reality.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's interesting that the Israelites used brass, not bronze.

What's even more interesting is that some (all?) of Satan's "better versions" say "brass," which just happens to be the same metal that scientards say they used.

Coincidence?

Not hardly.

Your mind works in mysterious ways, AV

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Reality doesn't exist to make me feel better.
Neither does it make me feel better in any particular way.

It's just the way it is.

Evolution is a scientific theory backed by some 200 years worth of rigorous research that has faced the extreme scrutiny of the scientific process and managed to stand tall and survive all that.

While creationism is a religious idea that has to be taken on faith, and which (depending on which incarnation of the idea you adhere to) flies in the face of observable reality.

Again, whatever you have to tell yourself. You want to insist that you came from a rock? That's your decision.

Upvote 0

David_M

Jul 20, 2016
UK
✟20,394.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
They don't consider them to be a person because they don't want them. That doesn't mean they're not people. It means they're trying to justify mass murder of the most innocent people on the planet by playing with semantics.
That is your opinion

Is a small bundle of cells that has no intellectual capacity and cannot survive independently (even with medical support) a person? That is what we are considering before 12 weeks.

Upvote 0