Not open for further replies.

Ginger123

Nov 26, 2013
✟441.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Do you, then please tell me what a God is.
Not what a God does or what a God can do, just what a God is.

A living Being.
Where is God living? and the only beings I know are alive, is your God alive?
Are all Gods living beings or only yours?
Or are they just words to make you feel good?

PS, If ridiculous claims are made ridiculous answers are needed to back them up, it then all becomes ridiculous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

PS, If ridiculous claims are made ridiculous answers are needed to back them up, it then all becomes ridiculous.

God lives in His kingdom in Heaven. God is alive. There are no other Gods. Jesus is the word.

Upvote 0

nuttypiglet

Mar 23, 2012
✟15,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you do not accept the OT then why on earth are you clinging to genesis? You cannot pick and choose what to keep and what to discard. Either the Bible is a holly book in its entirety or it is not. Christianity s' dogma does not allow for any change!

It's not clinging, it's the roots.

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Did I say I don't accept the Old Testament?

Should anyone who accepts the Old Testament be sacrificing sheep?

If not, then are you telling me it's okay to kill a witch, but not a sheep?

But if so, then are you telling me that I'll be a hypocrite if I kill a witch but not a sheep?
Putting words into my mouth AV? Really now; when did I say anything about sacrificing sheep? It makes no difference to me. Anyone professing to take the Bible literally should abide to ALL the laws of the Bible. All I am saying is you cannot pick and choose. If you on the other hand take the Bible as a spiritual guide then you are not obliged to adhere to such laws.
All I am saying is put your money where your mouth is.

By the way I sold land to an American foundation. They built a school that adheres strictly to evangelical, Baptist, doctrine and they even believe that only the various protestant faiths are Christian. Guess what? This Easter they forced the primary school children to witness a lamb sacrifice to God. So My good man, it seems that some of your brethren do indeed sacrifice animals to God! :wave:

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
By the way I sold land to an American foundation. They built a school that adheres strictly to evangelical, Baptist, doctrine and they even believe that only the various protestant faiths are Christian. Guess what? This Easter they forced the primary school children to witness a lamb sacrifice to God. So My good man, it seems that some of your brethren do indeed sacrifice animals to God! :wave:
Then they probably did it showing Jesus as the final sacrifice.

You know? the vicarious Lamb of God.

In any event, I'm not going to go kill a witch, just to have you later accuse us of not sacrificing animals.

Galatians 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Then they probably did it showing Jesus as the final sacrifice.

You know? the vicarious Lamb of God.

In any event, I'm not going to go kill a witch, just to have you later accuse us of not sacrificing animals.

Galatians 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
I certainly hope you do none of the two!:crossrc:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Golden Yak

Not Worshipped, Far from Idle
May 20, 2010
✟8,438.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I got your point. I just don't think the thinking behind it is satisfactory. JMHO.

I'm not sure what more would be required, but alright.

Yes, but we see even more simple examples prior to that which do not have the complexity only like 60 million years earlier.
That's still quite a bit more than half a million. How much time do you think is required for a lifeform that is very generalized and simple, bristling with as yet unformed potential, to develop into more refined forms?

You are rather confusing me. ON one hand you say that we discover these behaviors and on the other you say we develop them. Am I missing something here?
We develop the behaviors and interactions, then we discover truths about the best ones.

Right, but they do think about survival and what it takes for them individually and behaviors to assure that.
Yes, on some level I imagine most lifeforms are aware of what they need to survive.

Are they intelligent?
That does not appear to be the case, no. That was my point - intellect is a handy trait for survival, but its not a vital one. At least not for some living things.

So God created the universe with exact fine tuned parameters to assure the existence of the universe and life, but this is not evidence to you.
That the universe is the way it is does not, for me, constitute evidence that it was supernaturally created. Not in and of itself.

You would rather see something unorganized and senseless? What would you want to see that would point to God?
It's not about what I want or would rather see - what I do see does not point to the supernatural. If I could see miraculous violations of the natural laws we observe, that would at least be evidence that the supernatural exists.

Go could do anything true, but why would He? Why not make a world that we can explore and learn about. Don't you think it would be boring if we were just plopped down in a universe that we could not make sense of and which had no laws or rules to learn?
It could still have laws and rules to learn - my point is that we do not observe violations of these laws and rules. Life exists in accordance with them, not in violation of them. If life existed in violation of all universal law, I imagine that many people would be holding that up as proof positive that we are specially created and that we exist by the will of a supernatural force that supersedes natural law.

Why? What purpose would that provide?
It would be a powerful testament to the existence of the supernatural, and almost certainly evidence that the supernatural was interested in the existence of life. A stronger testament than a universe where the supernatural is not evidently required for the continuous function and existence of life.

So you think it is mundane that we exist and that the universe is such that we can discover and learn about it using abstract mathematical equations that work!
Mundane only in the sense that it is not supernatural. I think things can be mind-blowingly wonderful without being magic.

So what do you attribute those precise parameters to?
I haven't the foggiest idea. I'm not sure what specific parameters you are referring to - some of the stuff I read about physics and gravity is over my head. I couldn't begin to tell you why they are as they are, or what ramifications them being different would have on life. Only that their current state does not lead me to conclude that 'only God could have done it.'

I tend to think that life will find a way to thrive. In terms of just the Earth, there is a huge variety of environments on our planet, and they have evidently changed throughout time. Life thrives everywhere that it can, even at depths in the sea where a human would instantly cease to be from the pressure. Every living thing on Earth spent billions of years settling into their niches - of course it seems cushy and comfortable and perfectly formed to us.

Need is not necessary. However, if God wanted us to know Him through the Universe it seems to be a perfect way to do it.
I think the scenarios I mention above would do the job better.

That outlook is only because you accept things that you don't know or have evidence for within your worldview. You have no explanation why life is on earth or that earth is perfect for life. You accept it even though it could have had to be God behind it.
I do, actually. God could still really be responsible, though I do not see any reason to come to that conclusion. There may be many questions about existence to which I am forced to answer, truthfully, 'I don't know.' I don't leap directly to 'therefore it must be God,' however. I'm fine with 'I don't know' until I get further information.

We can observe that 2+2=4. We can not observe that dying for another is noble or moral.
Sure we can. We look at someone making the sacrifice, we evaluate their reasons, we decide whether it was noble or not.

What evidence and what reason?
Any evidence or reason. If I hold a position based on faith that is incorrect, and put faith above reason and evidence, then I've left myself with no way to correct my position. If I cared at all about whether or not my beliefs were true, then that would be a sorry state of affairs.

I understand.
But you don't agree.

It is not due to hurt feelings. It is God's holiness. His perfection.
What's so perfect about Him that, by comparrison, all humans deserve eternal torment?

So what I am conferring from your stance is that you will not worship God even if He exists?
As I said, I would have many questions I'd want answered before taking any further steps. The fact of His existence, while it would certainly be incredible, would not alone compel worship from me. There are many things that exist which I do not worship.

I think you missed my question: Do you believe we have free will?
I did respond - it appears to have been accidentally folded into your previous post. What you asked was:

Oncedeceived said:
I want to ask you something here. Do you agree that most evolutionary traits are universally stable and can be seen running through the entire current species? I also want to ask if you believe in free will.

My response:
Golden Yak said:
Depends on what you mean by universally stable traits. For the most part, I see humans as generally comparable physically and mentally, and that differences in culture are the main reason for different behavior. And yes, I do believe in free will.

Upvote 0

Ginger123

Nov 26, 2013
✟441.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

God lives in His kingdom in Heaven. God is alive. There are no other Gods. Jesus is the word.
That's all gobbledygook, the meanings of all the words have been changed to mean nothing, it's childish talk,
those words only make sense if your brain has been deranged by religion, you must be in some kind of trance.
You are on your own with this Oncedeceived, the only one who can pull you out of it is you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

biggles53

Mar 5, 2008
Pottsville, NSW, Australia
✟10,841.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Greens
It's not clinging, it's the roots.

If that's the case, then you own it all....right...?

You own the condoning of slavery, the child sacrifices, the misogyny, the racism, the slaughter, the petulance, the superstitions, the cruelty.......right...?

Upvote 0

biggles53

Mar 5, 2008
Pottsville, NSW, Australia
✟10,841.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Greens
And even if you brush all that aside with the excuse that "all that stuff was only intended for the Jews", perhaps you could explain why the god you worship ONLY thought it necessary to stone Jewish gays, only Jewish adulterers, only Jewish people who worked on the Sabbath......but presumably NOT any other group..? And since the Jews still don't accept Jesus as their Messiah, would you not think those laws are still in place...? Should not the Jews still be subject to those punishments....?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Do you know what the term Dispensation Theology means?
How very convenient; to choose and interpret each section of the Bible differently. In my opinion this is in direct conflict with what Jesus said when he instructed all to keep to the scriptures to the letter and that no personal interpretation is allowed.

It really sounds to me like picking and choosing. But each to his own I guess!

Upvote 0

EternalDragon

Counselor
Jul 31, 2013
✟21,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
How can we understand when you only quote the parts in the bible that suits you and dismiss the parts that don't?
you say you believe it all until someone points out a few things you don't like then you accuse us of not understanding, you're all trapped wanting to believe something but not being able to believe it, you have been given an impossible task, you've been asked to believe in rubbish and you're confused.

You have no answers just bible verses and it seems you are not allowed to do any thinking for yourselves,
all you can do is hang on and hope for the best, I don't envy you one bit.
If your addled denials and excuses are Christianity you are welcomed to it, you don't know what or what not to believe and you go which ever way the wind blows.

You are completely right when you say we don't understand but then again neither do you.
You believe something you can not explain and believe it only because you are afraid not to believe it.

Perhaps reading it yourself would enlighten you instead of making blank accusations against those that have read and studied it.

Upvote 0

Ginger123

Nov 26, 2013
✟441.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps reading it yourself would enlighten you instead of making blank accusations against those that have read and studied it.
It is well known that the best way to get someone to be an Atheist is to have them read ALL of the bible,
Christians only read or are taught the parts of the bible that make them all warm and fuzzy inside,
if they read it ALL they would see what a blood thirsty book it really is and not believe a word of it.

Most Christians have never read the bible they just believe what they have been told because of gullibility.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.