✟7,883.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi y'all,

I was wondering since I was raised in a Baptist setting but don't really know a lot of the basic Baptist specific doctrines and all, but what is the baptist teaching on the end of times? Or really what is the best and most accurate with Scripture interpretation of what will happen in the end?

I know there are all of those words with tribulation and rapture and then the really long words that I can't even remember to put here but that some people believe will happen. So, just anything y'all could tell me about this would be awesome.

Thanks so much!

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... there are all of those words with tribulation and rapture and then the really long words that I can't even remember to put here but that some people believe will happen...
It is easy to see your confusion. Even in your short list is a word that most people, who believe about that, are quick to say that the word is not in the scripture (Holy Bible.)

You are asking about a large area of study, and some people dedicate their adult lives to that study. I can tell you a few things to beware, which might keep you from the worst and most common misconceptions.

By all means, don't try to figure out the date for certain events from what you read in scripture. Certain of these things could begin happening tomorrow, or 250 years from now. Some may have started already! DON'T be one who, nor get wrapped up with people who do, SET DATES for prophetic events.

I knew the way a certain bunch of people thought back a couple decades ago, and saw one of the fellows on New Years Day that year. He look like someone had killed his puppy. It was obvious to me that his pastor believed a certain event (which likely will not happen the way he believed it would) was to happen in a certain year, because he had done some addition and subtraction of DATES. This made him think they would not see that new year begin, and when they did, the friends he had told that to were very disappointed!

If an event is not described particularly, putting it as a separate event, it may not be. It may be a different description of the same event. I recently heard one person, who studied this extensively, describe a certain set of scriptures, and show how obvious it had become that he had been taught wrongly about that. It seems obvious now, but when you let scholars and teachers sway your understanding, it clouds what would otherwise be obvious from reading Bible scriptures.

If it is not plainly stated in scripture when a certain thing will happen, be careful about taking some idea, and building a timeline from that. We can see that certain events have a reference in scripture in the Old Testament, and also, in the New Testament. The OT references may state things differently. Some of those are things that happened a few thousand years ago, but that show a striking similarity to something that we have yet to see. Connecting the references may shed light on your study, but could confuse the two SEPARATE EVENTS, and make it seem like they only refer to something that has not yet transpired.

Do not dismiss the ideas out of hand, though, for God does tell us in the Old Testament of things that are to happen, while He describes coming events of that ancient age. This is another reason why the whole thing can be very confusing.

In the final analysis, pray to the LORD as you study these things, and seek His guidance and faith to believe the prophecies correctly. You may have many years of fascinating study ahead, and this may keep you from getting too far off track.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

landon13

May 3, 2015
✟7,883.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It is easy to see your confusion. Even in your short list is a word that most people, who believe about that, are quick to say that the word is not in the scripture (Holy Bible.)

You are asking about a large area of study, and some people dedicate their adult lives to that study. I can tell you a few things to beware, which might keep you from the worst and most common misconceptions.

By all means, don't try to figure out the date for certain events from what you read in scripture. Certain of these things could begin happening tomorrow, or 250 years from now. Some may have started already! DON'T be one who, nor get wrapped up with people who do, SET DATES for prophetic events.

I knew the way a certain bunch of people thought back a couple decades ago, and saw one of the fellows on New Years Day that year. He look like someone had killed his puppy. It was obvious to me that his pastor believed a certain event (which likely will not happen the way he believed it would) was to happen in a certain year, because he had done some addition and subtraction of DATES. This made him think they would not see that new year begin, and when they did, the friends he had told that to were very disappointed!

If an event is not described particularly, putting it as a separate event, it may not be. It may be a different description of the same event. I recently heard one person, who studied this extensively, describe a certain set of scriptures, and show how obvious it had become that he had been taught wrongly about that. It seems obvious now, but when you let scholars and teachers sway your understanding, it clouds what would otherwise be obvious from reading Bible scriptures.

If it is not plainly stated in scripture when a certain thing will happen, be careful about taking some idea, and building a timeline from that. We can see that certain events have a reference in scripture in the Old Testament, and also, in the New Testament. The OT references may state things differently. Some of those are things that happened a few thousand years ago, but that show a striking similarity to something that we have yet to see. Connecting the references may shed light on your study, but could confuse the two SEPARATE EVENTS, and make it seem like they only refer to something that has not yet transpired.

Do not dismiss the ideas out of hand, though, for God does tell us in the Old Testament of things that are to happen, while He describes coming events of that ancient age. This is another reason why the whole thing can be very confusing.

In the final analysis, pray to the LORD as you study these things, and seek His guidance and faith to believe the prophecies correctly. You may have many years of fascinating study ahead, and this may keep you from getting too far off track.

Thank you very much for your assistance. I will go into Revelation with my handy study Bible's and just really ask the Lord to reveal the truth about the end times through His Word. Other than that, I will just wait and see when Christ does come a second time.

Thanks!

Reactions: Avid
Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you very much for your assistance. I will go into Revelation with my handy study Bible's and just really ask the Lord to reveal the truth about the end times through His Word. Other than that, I will just wait and see when Christ does come a second time...
Ask any specific questions that come up. Ask here if you like, and there are MANY who know quite a bit. There will be discussion, and, unless this subject is different from others here, or hte people are different from what they do elsewhere on this site, THERE WILL BE HEATED DEBATE.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi landon,

Well, here's my understanding of the latter days leading up to the day of God's judgment on all mankind.

The book of Daniel speaks of a final week that some believe is yet to come. I do believe that. The 70 weeks of Daniel's prophecy are broken up into three sets of weeks. The angel tells Daniel that there will be 7 sevens and 62 sevens. He tells Daniel of the things that will be happening during the 7 sevens and then tells Daniel that at the end of the 62 sevens 'he' will be cut off. Now, there are different understandings among some as to who 'he' is, but I'm confident that it is referring to Jesus. The angel calls him the anointed one. Then we are told that there will be a covenant during the period of one final seven.

It is this final seven that seems to lead into the last days. The angel says that there will be a covenant made, but that in the middle of this last seven, that the covenant will be broken. I believe that the days after the covenant is broken are the days of tribulation written about by other writers of the Scriptures.

In other words, someone is going to step onto the geo-political stage of the earth and promise peace by accord or covenant to many people. However, in the middle of that period of the accord or covenant it is going to be broken and there will follow a great persecution of the church, maybe even all religions. Certainly there are people today who will say that if we could just get of all these bickering and conflicting religions out of the way, we could have peace. However, the actual nuts and bolts and details of exactly what is going to be going on isn't ever made clear in the Scriptures other than we are told that it will be a time of tribulation like the world has never seen before.

As I understand the Scriptures, at the end of the final seven God is going to stand up from His throne and say 'Enough!' Believers will be removed from the earth and God will pour out His long held and pent up wrath against all the ungodly and unholy that are left. Then, once the earth is completely cleansed of those who were left, Jesus is going to return to the earth and establish his reign with those believers who were taken out of the earth and that reign will last for 1,000 years.

At the end of that period comes the day of God's judgment and after He judges all mankind, those whose names were written in the Lamb's book of life will gain eternal life and those whose names were not found in the Lamb's book of life will go to their eternal destiny and the great chasm will have been set between the godly and the ungodly.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Landon;

It would be much more profitable for you to learn about the person and work of Christ by a study of the Scriptures than to study what ultimately is a matter of opinion. The fact is that when men concern themselves to trying to figure out end times Satan has won the day. Stand on the tiptoe of faith looking for Him for He can return at any time.

There will be a time when you will come to a position on end times but first lay a foundation on Christ concerning the message of the Gospel.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Landon;

It would be much more profitable for you to learn about the person and work of Christ by a study of the Scriptures than to study what ultimately is a matter of opinion. The fact is that when men concern themselves to trying to figure out end times Satan has won the day. Stand on the tiptoe of faith looking for Him for He can return at any time.

There will be a time when you will come to a position on end times but first lay a foundation on Christ concerning the message of the Gospel.

Amen, Gospel Truth.

It could begin this minute or in 100 years, God's Word clearly says no one knows the appointed time.

What we do know is he is coming back,soon I hope.

Daniel: 12. 1. And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book. 2. And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. 3. And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever. 4. But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Landon;

Hi twin,

While I certainly agree with you that for every one of us living upon the earth, that the understanding of the person and work of Jesus is of paramount importance, however...

I'm going to 'assume' that since the OP portrays himself as a believer, that he is already fairly familiar with the person and work of our Savior. But, discussing and studying for understanding the many, many events that are spoken of in the Scriptures has always been a practice of the faithful children of our God. Daniel came to understand that the end of Israel's captivity in Babylon was coming to an end by studying the words of the prophets. Jeremiah is specifically mentioned. Nearly every one of the new covenant writers speak of and give some information to us about the last or later days. When Paul wrote to the believers about the timing of the rapture, or as some would rather say, the gathering of the elect, he didn't chastise them that they should strictly concern themselves with understanding who Jesus is, but gave them an answer to their questions.

So, each is surely free to do and to teach what they believe is the truth, but our curiosity and questions about the future have always been a part of the believer's experience. The larger question in this matter, I believe, is whether will we gain our understanding from the words of men or from the words of God? Even for myself, I believe that what I teach and the things I understand about all that God has done and is doing among us is the truth. But, I strongly encourage each one to be just like the Bereans in Paul's day. Listen to what one says, but take all that is said and test it against the Scriptures before agreeing that any teaching or understanding put forth by men, who are known liars, is the truth.

So, while I applaud your motives to ensure that each one is secure in their understanding of the work and person of Jesus, I'm not so confident that God asks us to shut down those of us, who claim to already know the work and person of Jesus, from seeking answers about the many, many other things that are revealed to us in the Scriptures.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi twin,

While I certainly agree with you that for every one of us living upon the earth, that the understanding of the person and work of Jesus is of paramount importance, however...

I'm going to 'assume' that since the OP portrays himself as a believer, that he is already fairly familiar with the person and work of our Savior. But, discussing and studying for understanding the many, many events that are spoken of in the Scriptures has always been a practice of the faithful children of our God. Daniel came to understand that the end of Israel's captivity in Babylon was coming to an end by studying the words of the prophets. Jeremiah is specifically mentioned. Nearly every one of the new covenant writers speak of and give some information to us about the last or later days. When Paul wrote to the believers about the timing of the rapture, or as some would rather say, the gathering of the elect, he didn't chastise them that they should strictly concern themselves with understanding who Jesus is, but gave them an answer to their questions.

So, each is surely free to do and to teach what they believe is the truth, but our curiosity and questions about the future have always been a part of the believer's experience. The larger question in this matter, I believe, is whether will we gain our understanding from the words of men or from the words of God? Even for myself, I believe that what I teach and the things I understand about all that God has done and is doing among us is the truth. But, I strongly encourage each one to be just like the Bereans in Paul's day. Listen to what one says, but take all that is said and test it against the Scriptures before agreeing that any teaching or understanding put forth by men, who are known liars, is the truth.

So, while I applaud your motives to ensure that each one is secure in their understanding of the work and person of Jesus, I'm not so confident that God asks us to shut down those of us, who claim to already know the work and person of Jesus, from seeking answers about the many, many other things that are revealed to us in the Scriptures.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted
I didn't suggest that one not study these things but that our opinions on what may happen is just that, opinions. Peter tells us to grow in grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ. 2Pet. 3:18 And Paul in Rom. 16:25-26 says that the things that the prophets were given were kept a mystery until it was made manifest by the appearing of the Lord Jesus Christ. He speaks in other places of the mystery of the Gospel until Christ came to reveal the purpose of the prophecy.

All Scripture is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction and for instruction in righteousness, 2Tim.3:16. It doesn't say that it is profitable for understanding or knowing what will happen in the end times.

Knowledge of Christ makes us intimate with Him and gives us rest in every situation and circumstance. Matt. 11:29. I never tire of finding Christ in the Scriptures for they are all about Him and His work.

I do have a position on eschatology and I am sure it shows up in my preaching and teaching but I do not preach or teach eschatology. I preach and teach Christ as all the council of God and His truth as the foundation and building of knowledge of the Scriptures. It is still enough for me, after over 20 years of preaching, to seek and find Christ in His Word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟109,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Hi y'all,

I was wondering since I was raised in a Baptist setting but don't really know a lot of the basic Baptist specific doctrines and all, but what is the baptist teaching on the end of times? Or really what is the best and most accurate with Scripture interpretation of what will happen in the end?

I know there are all of those words with tribulation and rapture and then the really long words that I can't even remember to put here but that some people believe will happen. So, just anything y'all could tell me about this would be awesome.

Thanks so much!

Baptist and other Protestant Christians who have studied The Revelation to John typically interpret it in one of four different ways. These four interpretations are summarized here:

March/April 03 PT

Baptist and other Protestant Christians who have studied The Book of Daniel typically interpret it in one of four different ways—but with many variations). These four interpretations are summarized here:

http://www.cityreformed.org/uploads/4/4/0/9/44096805/views_of_the_70_weeks_of_daniel.pdf

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟109,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Hi landon,

Well, here's my understanding of the latter days leading up to the day of God's judgment on all mankind.

The book of Daniel speaks of a final week that some believe is yet to come. I do believe that. The 70 weeks of Daniel's prophecy are broken up into three sets of weeks. The angel tells Daniel that there will be 7 sevens and 62 sevens. He tells Daniel of the things that will be happening during the 7 sevens and then tells Daniel that at the end of the 62 sevens 'he' will be cut off. Now, there are different understandings among some as to who 'he' is, but I'm confident that it is referring to Jesus. The angel calls him the anointed one. Then we are told that there will be a covenant during the period of one final seven.

It is this final seven that seems to lead into the last days. The angel says that there will be a covenant made, but that in the middle of this last seven, that the covenant will be broken. I believe that the days after the covenant is broken are the days of tribulation written about by other writers of the Scriptures.

In other words, someone is going to step onto the geo-political stage of the earth and promise peace by accord or covenant to many people. However, in the middle of that period of the accord or covenant it is going to be broken and there will follow a great persecution of the church, maybe even all religions. Certainly there are people today who will say that if we could just get of all these bickering and conflicting religions out of the way, we could have peace. However, the actual nuts and bolts and details of exactly what is going to be going on isn't ever made clear in the Scriptures other than we are told that it will be a time of tribulation like the world has never seen before.

As I understand the Scriptures, at the end of the final seven God is going to stand up from His throne and say 'Enough!' Believers will be removed from the earth and God will pour out His long held and pent up wrath against all the ungodly and unholy that are left. Then, once the earth is completely cleansed of those who were left, Jesus is going to return to the earth and establish his reign with those believers who were taken out of the earth and that reign will last for 1,000 years.

At the end of that period comes the day of God's judgment and after He judges all mankind, those whose names were written in the Lamb's book of life will gain eternal life and those whose names were not found in the Lamb's book of life will go to their eternal destiny and the great chasm will have been set between the godly and the ungodly.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Ted, you may find this historical and exegetical analysis of Daniel's "Seventy Weeks" interesting,

Biblical Studies

Upvote 0