Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reading through Ezekiel and am at chapter 18. Does what the Lord says in this chapter bring an end to generational curses?

Ezekiel 18:14-17, "now suppose this son has a son who sees all the sins his father has committed, considers them, and does not do likewise [but lives righteously], such a man will not die for his father's iniquity. He will surely love."

Ezekiel 18:20, "The soul who sins is the one who will die. A son will not bear the iniquity of his father..."

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1 Pet 2:9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.​
2 Cor 5:16 Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. 18 Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation,​
Nope - generational curses ended at the cross:

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.” 11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for “the just shall live by faith.” 12 Yet the law is not of faith, but “the man who does them shall live by them.”​
13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”), 14 that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.​
A born again Christians generation begins and ends with Christ. Either Jesus became a curse for us or He did not. I believe he did.

What many (I believe misguided), people believe is the generational habits are curses. I grew up in an alcoholics home - my become an alcoholic was a taught experience - when I accepted Christ I was delivered from Alcoholism. Two years later, I set down my last drink, it was easy.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Pet 2:9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.​
2 Cor 5:16 Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. 18 Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation,​
Nope - generational curses ended at the cross:

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.” 11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for “the just shall live by faith.” 12 Yet the law is not of faith, but “the man who does them shall live by them.”​
13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”), 14 that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.​
A born again Christians generation begins and ends with Christ. Either Jesus became a curse for us or He did not. I believe he did.

What many (I believe misguided), people believe is the generational habits are curses. I grew up in an alcoholics home - my become an alcoholic was a taught experience - when I accepted Christ I was delivered from Alcoholism. Two years later, I set down my last drink, it was easy.
Awesome testimony about alcohol. I do think there is lots of truth in our habits being looked at as curses. And I agree that generational curses ended at the cross, just wanted to see what others thought on the subject. Thank you for sharing.

I know some (not here, elsewhere) who believe in generational curses still and it's always seemed odd to me.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We definitely do see sin patterns in families ...
alcoholism is one, sexual sins are another common one also ...

And have you known any families where abortions are prevalent, down thru the generations?
Yes, we see that pattern too.

I aqree that these are generational sin habits ... ways of coping with life, unhealthy (sinful) ways usually learned within our birth families, particularly within those families where Jesus was not Lord.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Reading through Ezekiel and am at chapter 18. Does what the Lord says in this chapter bring an end to generational curses?

Ezekiel 18:14-17, "now suppose this son has a son who sees all the sins his father has committed, considers them, and does not do likewise [but lives righteously], such a man will not die for his father's iniquity. He will surely love."

Ezekiel 18:20, "The soul who sins is the one who will die. A son will not bear the iniquity of his father..."
Generational curses are carried in our blood. When we became born again we received a new spirit, all the old things passed away.

Now habits of the flesh will resurface until they are dealt with, but the generational sins and curses of the past were wiped away by the blood of Jesus.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We definitely do see sin patterns in families ...
alcoholism is one, sexual sins are another common one also ...

And have you known any families where abortions are prevalent, down thru the generations?
Yes, we see that pattern too.

I aqree that these are generational sin habits ... ways of coping with life, unhealthy (sinful) ways usually learned within our birth families, particularly within those families where Jesus was not Lord.
habits, but not a curse per se, correct?

I guess my understanding of a generational curse is where God punishes multiple generations of children for the sins of their fathers, either through infertility, birth defects, poverty, etc.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
habits, but not a curse per se, correct?

I guess my understanding of a generational curse is where God punishes multiple generations of children for the sins of their fathers, either through infertility, birth defects, poverty, etc.

Yes, I was talking habits. With regards to curses ...

Galatians 3:13
"Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us."

We are not under the curse of the previous generations. We are redeemed from the curse, the curse has been removed, and we have been cleansed from all unrighteousness, which makes the curse of none effect upon us.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The bible also says our sins are fogiven, but we need to ask for that, so, maybe we need to ask too for the consequences of the sins of our ancestors?.

I believe we need to fix this stuff, don't know if you get free automatically always when converting, the same other spiritual problems may not be resolved when converting automatically.

I can't be totally sure of this, but I do had a tendency for the occult, like being attracted to evil stuff, even when i always despised that, my mother warned me about it when i was little and i learned that it was bad etc. But after 'asking forgiveness for my ancestors' about occult stuff that tendency went away.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible also says our sins are fogiven, but we need to ask for that, so, maybe we need to ask too for the consequences of the sins of our ancestors?.

I believe we need to fix this stuff, don't know if you get free automatically always when converting, the same other spiritual problems may not be resolved when converting automatically.

I can't be totally sure of this, but I do had a tendency for the occult, like being attracted to evil stuff, even when i always despised that, my mother warned me about it when i was little and i learned that it was bad etc. But after 'asking forgiveness for my ancestors' about occult stuff that tendency went away.
I guess where I'm coming from is like Jesus healing the blind man in John. The disciples asked him "Who sinned and made this man blind?" (generational curse). Jesus responded "Neither, he is blind to reveal God's glory" [paraphrase]

You're pull to evil things from the occult could be from any number of things, influence from the family, curiosity from the fallen nature, etc. but I don't see that as being a generational curse.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess where I'm coming from is like Jesus healing the blind man in John. The disciples asked him "Who sinned and made this man blind?" (generational curse). Jesus responded "Neither, he is blind to reveal God's glory" [paraphrase]

You're pull to evil things from the occult could be from any number of things, influence from the family, curiosity from the fallen nature, etc. but I don't see that as being a generational curse.

I think this is real, i also have seen ministers telling testimonies and other stuff, maybe we need to ask God about those stuff and not just assume all goes away when converting, i am not trying to teach this but i believe in this personally.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think this is real, i also have seen ministers telling testimonies and other stuff, maybe we need to ask God about those stuff and not just assume all goes away when converting, i am not trying to teach this but i believe in this personally.
I don't think it's ever wise to elevate personal experience (no matter how powerful) over the word of God.

Scripture is seemingly pretty clear that generational curses ended at the cross.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think it's ever wise to elevate personal experience (no matter how powerful) over the word of God.

Scripture is seemingly pretty clear that generational curses ended at the cross.

Yes they end, but i just say sometimes you need to pray or something for it. The same with deliverance we are free of the power of darkness it says, but someitmes you need it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Indeed, it does.

We inherit Adam's sinful nature, but not his sin.

However, his sin is imputed to us (Ro 5:12-15), as Christ's righteousness is imputed (Ro 5:18-19).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom

No a son will not bear the iniquity of his father. There was however where generations would go into slavery, third, fourth generation because of the sins of their father. Think of Babylon. Hundreds of years. You understand though it's just the ramifications of loosing their nation. And look at the verse below if you want to see good news.

You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,
6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments. Exodus 20:5

So blessing is upon the one who loves him correct? So guess what happens to one who makes Jesus their Lord. They've chosen to LOVE God. Guess what then? If one is talking about generational curses coming down family lines.....THE CURSE IS BROKEN! You don't have to try to get free after receiving Christ ....YOU ARE FREE!

Gal 3:13 states we ARE redeemed from the curse of the law! Redeemed past tense DONE. No need to search out genealogy lines trying to figure out what wrong your grandmother did wrong. You're a new man, the old man has died the human lineage connection doesn't apply. So what we need to do is stand fast in the liberty in which Christ has set as free and be not entangled again in the yoke of bondage. Gal 5:1 Don't let anyone tell you you're somehow not free after receiving Christ.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Awesome testimony about alcohol. I do think there is lots of truth in our habits being looked at as curses.
Well there can be ones who might be prone to going that way because their parent did. Like anything. One might be more prone to be into sports because their father was......but it's not necessarily a chain around them or as some would think of as a curse.....its just they were raised in such a way. The offspring just need to make a decision they're going another direction.

And I agree that generational curses ended at the cross, just wanted to see what others thought on the subject. Thank you for sharing.
And some things even before the cross of generational curses didn't necessary mean strange, unusual things happening to them. As we know if some early fathers rebelled the whole nation Israel was taken into slavery which of course lasted multiple generations. Think of Babylon with the decedents of Israel still there until a certain time.
I know some (not here, elsewhere) who believe in generational curses still and it's always seemed odd to me.
What's more an issue is when they claim a Christian isn't really set free and they have to do A, B, and C some strange esoteric actions to somehow get free. They have given up standing fast in the liberty in which Christ HAS set them free! Gal 5:1 It in effect puts them on a scrambler machine where they don't know if they're coming or going. They can however get off that wild ride and break it's power by boldly acknowledging they were set free the moment they made Jesus Christ their Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yes they end, but i just say sometimes you need to pray or something for it. The same with deliverance we are free of the power of darkness it says, but someitmes you need it.
Not quite NBB. Here's what I suggest needs to be done though.....you're right there something that needs to be done....it's this....one needs to stand fast in the liberty in which Christ has set them free Gal 5:1 and you do that by saying, declaring and decreeing BOLDY what Jesus HAS DONE....whom the Son sets free is free indeed. Indeed means with no question mark about it.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Colossians 1:13 makes things quite clear: " For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves,"

What this means is that the converted Christian believer is totally set free from anything that is part of the dominion of darkness. This means that he is totally freed from any generational curses. To say that a Christian is still subject to a generation curse, or if a Christ is "demonized" (dominated in any way by a demon), is to deny the clear statement of God's Word in Colossians.

What we are to do is to trust the power of the Holy Spirit to help us turn away from the works of the flesh, keeping our sinful nature under control. There is no such thing as a deliverance ministry for Christians, and those who participate in such a ministry are doing it contrary to God's word and devaluing the power of the Gospel and the Holy Spirit and actually lying to people in making them believe they are possessed by a demon when the truth is that they should repent from the works of the flesh and turn away from them.

The same is to be said concerning generational curses. A Christian who is struggling with sins because of their background and family circumstances, is not subject to a generational curse, but a battle between the flesh and the Spirit. What he needs is to put to death the deeds of the flesh and seek by the power of the Holy Spirit to walk in the Spirit.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Colossians 1:13 makes things quite clear: " For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves,"

What this means is that the converted Christian believer is totally set free from anything that is part of the dominion of darkness. This means that he is totally freed from any generational curses. To say that a Christian is still subject to a generation curse, or if a Christ is "demonized" (dominated in any way by a demon), is to deny the clear statement of God's Word in Colossians.

What we are to do is to trust the power of the Holy Spirit to help us turn away from the works of the flesh, keeping our sinful nature under control. There is no such thing as a deliverance ministry for Christians, and those who participate in such a ministry are doing it contrary to God's word and devaluing the power of the Gospel and the Holy Spirit and actually lying to people in making them believe they are possessed by a demon when the truth is that they should repent from the works of the flesh and turn away from them.

The same is to be said concerning generational curses. A Christian who is struggling with sins because of their background and family circumstances, is not subject to a generational curse, but a battle between the flesh and the Spirit. What he needs is to put to death the deeds of the flesh and seek by the power of the Holy Spirit to walk in the Spirit.

Sorry but you are deceived.
The bible commands Christians or follower of Christ to expel demons, i don't know what are you on about. Half the ministry of Jesus was doing this, and today christians need to do the same.
Big issues with your statements, lots of Christians have spiritual problems, what we do with them? tell them they are not Christians? a lot of mental illnesses are because of evil spirits, God just need to open the eyes of christians so they can discern if there is something.

We are free from the reign of darkness, but is not instantaneous when believing, sometimes people need to walk a path for freedom.

Controversial statement, but If in a church never people manifest demons is because that church is 'cold', when the presence of God is there, demons can't stand it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is a topic I've been wondering about too. Romans says God lets the nations (meaning someone & their descendants) go their own ways. Descendants are a part of their ancestor. I think it does continue to some extent, but God is willing to break them for certain individuals too.

Upvote 0