The Double Standards of Creationism

Dal M.

...more things in heaven and earth, Horatio...
Jan 28, 2004
Ohio
✟9,758.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
thedum said:
Darwin's theory of evolution is silly...but evolution forms are true, we all are born, grow.....then die thats evolution.

No, that's development. It's completely dissimilar from the theory of evolution. But, just out of curiosity, what's silly about Darwin's theory of evolution?

Upvote 0

fromdownunder

Apr 21, 2006
✟9,024.00
Faith
Atheist
thedum said:
Darwin's theory of evolution is silly

[snip]

I went from being a Christian to being an Athiest...to now being a follower of Jesus Christ again. Check out Luke 6:27,28 thats what he is all about

What makes you think that acceptance of the Theory of Evolution cannot be reconciled with a belief in Jesus?

Norm

Upvote 0

MrGoodBytes

Seeker for life, probably
Mar 4, 2006
✟22,772.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
While we're at it, I'd like to see an example of the supposedly disatrous effects evolution had on society. LittleNipper, if you would be so kind...

LittleNipper said:
Evolution is only a figment of "authoritative" imagination and this discipline is propagated through singular influential educational techniques. The influence of evolution has had far reaching and disastrous affects in its social, cultural, educational, and religious applications.

Upvote 0

Baggins

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
At Sea
✟14,982.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
thedum said:
Darwin's theory of evolution is silly...but evolution forms are true, we all are born, grow.....then die thats evolution. Obviously some things on earth were created so we can't understand. It was still created thats a fact....and a child understands that. Lets say you go buy lumber, get some nails, cut the boards out....then you build something...thats our creation of a project. God is huge.....we can't understand him, just look how tech. the human body is..its insane, each cell holds so much info. The Holy Bible rules...and i'm thankful for the truth. I went from being a Christian to being an Athiest...to now being a follower of Jesus Christ again. Check out Luke 6:27,28 thats what he is all about

This is just an argument from ignorance.

You don't understand what evolution is, you don't understand what the theory of evolution states.

But you feel it is irreconcilable with your faith so you reject it.

Only a minority of christians feel like you do, you should talk to the huge number of christians who accept the theory of evolution about how faith is not compromised by science.

Or, alternatively, stick your head back in the hole in the ground.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Nooj said:
What I don't understand is how you found this well and truly buried thread. Did you trawl through dozens of pages of threads until you found one to your liking?
Or maybe they liked what someone said and looked to see some of their other posts.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
AliceSOBEstudent said:
Jet Black, do you have a suggestion for a book and/or website that explains exactly what I'm looking at there with less technical language. Without ID on each image, I don’t really know what I’m looking at. Honestly, you could switch several of those (skulls) into a different order and it would be the same to me.
This is a good website for newbies to evolutionary theory:
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/

AliceSOBEstudent said:
You may think this just shows how "stupid" I am. That does not particularly upset me, b/c I am secure in my intelligence and background (my SAT scores, IQ, university attended, blah, blah blah) I just have never spent any time looking into this issue, it as never been important to me. So again, I probably made a mistake posting here.
Not having knowledge about a particular topic does not make you stupid. In fact, acknowledging that there are thinks you do not know about is actually very smart. :)

In any case, since you did post here, you must be a least a little curious about the topic, no? Check out the website above, and if you have any questions, feel free to start a new thread here. Many of us here will be happy to answer them.

Upvote 0

corvus_corax

Naclist Hierophant and Prophet
Jan 19, 2005
Oregon
✟14,911.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
thedum said:
Darwin's theory of evolution is silly
That's your opinion and you are welcome to it.
But dont confuse your opinion with objective empirical testable data
thedum said:
...but evolution forms are true, we all are born, grow.....then die thats evolution.
You, by your statement above, obviously have no clue as to what evolution actually is.
Simply put, evolution is the measurable change in allele frequency of a population over time. You can read all about it here, here and here (the last two are fairly easy reads)

thedum said:
.Obviously some things on earth were created so we can't understand.
No, that's not "obvious"
thedum said:
.It was still created thats a fact
Empty assertions do not evidence make
thedum said:
.and a child understands that.
My child (my 6 year old) actually understands that populations, given time and the circumstances, will change. My child understands the connection between some dinosaurs and birds. My child understands the fact that we are apes.
Dont paint with so broad a brush next time
thedum said:
.God is huge
How huge?
Your statement is without meaning when it has no context
thedum said:
.we can't understand him
Well, you can't understand Him
thedum said:
.The Holy Bible rules
Rules what?

Now for the question that's been working itself in the back of my mind since I read your post...
Given the content of your post....given your username...

Are you just exemplifying Poe's Law?

Upvote 0

arensb

Jun 17, 2006
Visit site
✟22,175.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Mechanical Bliss said:
In the same vein as #1 there is the issue of creationists complaining that evolution is not repeatable because earth's history cannot be relived in real time, but they don't apply that same twisted sense of "repeatability" to creationism.
I think their reasoning is that God witnessed the entire history of the universe. And since it was observed the first time around, it doesn't need to be repeated in the lab.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

arensb

Jun 17, 2006
Visit site
✟22,175.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Jet Black said:
I hear this claim from creationists alot. can you provide me with the name of a text book, currently in print, that uses an exposed fake as evidence for evolution
(You may also want to add "currently used to teach biology", which is sort of implied, but not explicitly stated, in your request.)

As far as I can tell, when a creationist complains about "Haeckel's embryos" in textbooks, assuming he's not just repeating something he heard elsewhere, it means that the book in question has a picture comparing embryos of different species at certain stages. Never mind that this picture may be a modern drawing, or even a series of photographs, with no connection to Ernst Haeckel.

It might also refer to books that present Haeckel's drawings in a historical context, e.g., comparing them to modern photographs, to highlight the ways in which Haeckel emphasized what he wanted to see.

Upvote 0

Valkhorn

the Antifloccinaucinihilipili ficationist
Jun 15, 2004
Knoxville, TN
Visit site
✟11,624.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What I don't understand is how you found this well and truly buried thread. Did you trawl through dozens of pages of threads until you found one to your liking?

I can't say I'm displeased that it was ressurected, however his post has just about nothing to do with data, facts, or the threat at hand.

Creationists have a way of doing that though.

Upvote 0

NamesAreHardToPick

All That You Can Leave Behind
Oct 7, 2004
✟16,943.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Mechanical Bliss said:
We all use the same evidence; it's just a matter of interpretation.

This argument remains valid especially when it comes to Biblical interpretation, as most Christians use the same Bible, but boy oh boy, is it so open to one's interpretation. Sure, evidence can be interpreted, but heck, it doesn't make it easier on them when they have to defend their holy text.

And in fact, the interpretative argument against the Bible is a solid argument.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I find it quite amusing, and quite sad that there are plenty of double standards in with creationists and creationism. So, I've decided to compile a short list of some of the most common double standards that exist in this pseudoscience called creationism.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Double Standard 1:

Creationists require observable proof for Evolution,
but not observable proof for Creationism

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The creation events didn't generate any evidence, as they were a series of miracles done by God.

God doesn't do sloppy work, but even if He did, no evidence was generated to slop around or leave behind.

You shouldn't expect to see evidence that doesn't exist, or you'll end up thinking it's a double standard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The creation events didn't generate any evidence, as they were a series of miracles done by God.

God doesn't do sloppy work, but even if He did, no evidence was generated to slop around or leave behind.

You shouldn't expect to see evidence that doesn't exist, or you'll end up thinking it's a double standard.

Why do you do this? Some sort of ego thing?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I've never been able to figure that one out myself.

It's easy: faith in Christ and in the truth of His Gospel does not depend on Genesis being 100% accurate literal history.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
It's easy: faith in Christ and in the truth of His Gospel does not depend on Genesis being 100% accurate literal history.

FYI, this thread was unceremoniously necro'd by our residence necro-poster.

Upvote 0