The dilemma of being a Catholic Democrat

Apr 11, 2011
✟2,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The official teaching of the DNC is that anyone who doesn't agree with so-called "gay marriage" is a bigot. So either Catholic Democrats agree with so-called "gay marriage" which means rejecting the core teachings of the Catholic Church and automatic excommunication or they are called a bigot by their own political party.

Last edited:

docpotter

Too blessed to be stressed
Jul 13, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟17,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The official teaching of the DNC is that anyone who doesn't agree with so-called "gay marriage" is a bigot. So either Catholic Democrats agree with so-called "gay marriage" which means rejecting the core teachings of the Catholic Church and automatic excommunication or they are called a bigot by their own political party.
Hi Baby Christian ,

I think it goes even further than just Catholics. Anyone who considers themselves a bible believing Christian of any denomination should be 100 % against gay marriage , and abortion, and taking God out of society. All of these things are the liberal beliefs / agenda.

I have noticed pretty much every atheist, and agnostic, and pagan on these and other forums are typically very liberal , and I have no problem with that. It is expected as enemies of the cross of Jesus Christ should adhere to these godless ways.

But when Christians are pro abortion , pro gay marriage, pro godless society there is an issue for sure.

I am a republican and I do not " hate the poor". In fact , I gave more in charitable contributions last year than Joe Biden, who makes a lot more money than I do. But Liberals will excuse his " hate of the poor " I suppose....

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
The official teaching of the DNC is that anyone who doesn't agree with so-called "gay marriage" is a bigot.
Really?

I'm not a demo(n)crat, but this is surprising news to me. I know many individuals hold to that position, and that this was a general tendency in the party currently, but I was unaware that it was official. Can you please provide some official document showing this to be the case?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,100,545.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My way of deciding how to vote is simple: if voting for a particular candidate or issue would prevent me from sleeping at night, wrack me with guilt, and consume me with anxiety then obviously I am making the wrong decision.

One cannot vote for a particular candidate BECAUSE they support gay marriage or BECAUSE they are pro-choice....

And I know few people who do. Most people I know look at all the issues and consider which vote would allow them to sleep at night so that they could faithfully fulfill their responsibilities on earth as spouses, parents, grandparents, employees, volunteers, parishioners, etc.

I know that there are some Catholics who feel that "religious freedom" is some sort of slogan that only pertains to government and not to the Church...

But truthfully, I look at the HHS Mandate as "karma." The Church is getting back from the universe what it's giving to its members.

Upvote 0

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Please excuse my bolding of a portion of your statement. I felt it was necessary in order to clarify my question: It is an interesting charge that you make here. I would be intrigued to learn more. Would it be possible for you to provide the documentation that would support your assertion? I would be particualrly interested in direct evidence of the official nature of this teaching.

Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
J

JesusIsTheWay33

I'm terribly tempted to make a thread called "the dilemma of being a Catholic American". After all, the official teaching of the United States is that the USA is a special country particularly beloved of God above others, and that it is subject to no earthly power. Well, that causes problems with Unam Sanctam, so which is it? Do you believe in the wonderful, unique (cont., p94)

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Aren't party policies developed by the thoughts of the membership as much as the other way around? Typically that is how political parties have hashed out policy. Of course, if you go around telling people that they can't be a Christian and a member of a particular party, you pretty much make it a sure thing that non-Christian voices will dominate.

It would be a clever thing to do to go around telling people that if you belonged to some other party and were completely ethically bankrupt.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour

Funny.:D

Is this the part where i claim that the Republican party officially hold "Christian values" above everyone else's rights, and if you don't agree with their "Christian values", you are deemed anti-Christian and/or un-American by them?

I thought that would be a little ignorant and overgeneralising really. And more than a little untrue.;)

I guess people who vote Democrat don't think their Christian values should be written into law so everyone else must follow them...
Oh, and that they have better solutions to political problems, rather than better stances on social issues.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trogool

Apr 3, 2012
✟3,694.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Green

I'm just curious, where on Democrats.org does it explicitly say that anyone who doesn't support gay marriage is "a bigot"?

Upvote 0

Needing_Grace

Chief of Sinners
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
✟11,799.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm just curious, where on Democrats.org does it explicitly say that anyone who doesn't support gay marriage is "a bigot"?

Actually, this notion that a political party has "teachings" is really telling.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
. . .
Is this the part where i claim that the Republican party officially hold "Christian values" above everyone else's rights . . .

Only if you replace 'Christian' with 'Freemasonic', you'd perhaps be more accurate with regards to the Republican party . . .

:smoke:

Upvote 0

Trogool

Apr 3, 2012
✟3,694.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Green
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Well, they do have statements on issues on their official website.

This one, most relevantly: Civil Rights | Issues | Democrats.org

Strangely, I don't see the word "bigot" anywhere... :study:

Statements like this aren't quite the same as teachings though. They are, after all, subject to revision, and they come from the members as much as they are "taught" to the members.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Hi Baby Christian ,

I think it goes even further than just Catholics. Anyone who considers themselves a bible believing Christian of any denomination should be 100 % against gay marriage , and abortion, and taking God out of society. All of these things are the liberal beliefs / agenda.

I have noticed pretty much every atheist, and agnostic, and pagan on these and other forums are typically very liberal , and I have no problem with that. It is expected as enemies of the cross of Jesus Christ should adhere to these godless ways.

But when Christians are pro abortion , pro gay marriage, pro godless society there is an issue for sure.

I am a republican and I do not " hate the poor". In fact , I gave more in charitable contributions last year than Joe Biden, who makes a lot more money than I do. But Liberals will excuse his " hate of the poor " I suppose....

Poe's law is strong in this one.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single