The Different Beliefs (Unlimited Atonement vs Limited Atonement)

Tyler35

Feb 24, 2023
Denver
✟25,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Hello siblings,

I will first start by stating that I believe in unlimited atonement.

I came across an article:

This article quotes early Church members, and some of these quotes seem to hint that limited atonement may not have been rejected by some well known figures.

Are these quotes taken out of context? Can someone explain them to me?

I look for someone who is more knowledgeable than I on the quotes that were used.

Last edited:

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Tyler35, while I did see that one of the ECF quotes strongly supports the "P" petal in TULIP (Perseverance of the Saints, that is), I did not see that kind/level of support for the "U" and/or the "L" petals in any of the ECF quotes. What the ECF quotes do indicate (generally) is that the atonement was/is applied to those who "believe", which is, of course, the truth of the matter.

So, I don't think that those on either side, be they Arminian or Calvinist, would reject the wording of any of the ECF quotes that you posited for us above (save the one about all of the saints persevering in the faith, which would be rejected by true, 5-point Arminians, of course) because, just like John 3:16, each side agrees with what is said (at least broadly or generally, if not specifically).

God bless you!!

--David

Last edited:
Upvote 0