Lukamu

Aug 13, 2015
Rural United States
✟11,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They are both about praising and worshipping God, but they are two different categories, depending on how they're used and who they're performed by.
Praise music is usually performed by a specific band or a cover band. It generally has more technical aspects to it that are difficult for the average Joe to reproduce. For example, more complex rhythms and more intricate instrumentals. It is great to listen to and sing along with, and especially great to see it performed on stage at a concert.
Worship music is more accessible for a congregation because it is not as intricate, and therefore more easily reproduced by Joe Shmoe. The melody is easier to sing, the rhythms aren't as difficult to grasp, and the instrumentals are basic.
I prefer worship music in church because more people are able to sing along with it, and I think that singing/participating is important in worshipping God on Sunday.
Your thoughts?
- Lukamu

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually there is a third category: thanksgiving.

the major difference is who the lyric is addressed to. Praise is proclaiming the works of God to those around us; thanks giving and worship are addressed directly to HIM. Thanksgiving is thanking HIM for what He has done and worship is extolling Him for who and what He is.
I prefer worship music in church because more people are able to sing along with it, and I think that singing/participating is important in worshiping God on Sunday.

All three are appropriate for congregational use. Please note Psalm 95 - how it describes the move from praise into worship:

Praise:

1 Oh come, let us sing to the Lord!
Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation.
2 Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving;
Let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms.
3 For the Lord is the great God,
And the great King above all gods.
4 In His hand are the deep places of the earth;
The heights of the hills are His also.
5 The sea is His, for He made it;
And His hands formed the dry land.

Worship:

6 Oh come, let us worship and bow down;
Let us kneel before the Lord our Maker.
7 For He is our God,
And we are the people of His pasture,
And the sheep of His hand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some believers don't think there's any difference between praise and worship. In terms of church music, I'm wondering how it can be worship to Yahweh when we're thinking and singing primarily about ourselves including on Sunday mornings. I agree with DaveW-ohev - praise and thanksgiving can lead to worship.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
?
it thought it was the same.
Singing God's praises is worshipping Him.

if we are singing about ourselves worshipping sort of negates the purpose. Not really sure what the distinction is, but if you talking bout some of the Hillsong music thats not even about Jesus, but more about feelings and singing how 'I" feel then yea that's not. Thats just kind of self-indulgence. For example, I remember one congregation always used to sing 'he is jealous for me' which isn't about the Lord, its about the singer worshipping something...but it could be anyone...when we come together to praise Him it isn't about ourselves.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It goes together alright?
Right - and that is the flow of Psalm 95. You go from loud proclamations of praise to the quiet subtly of worship to the position of being ready to hear God speak to us.

Upvote 0

Phil Bartlett

Jun 5, 2016
Sydney, Australia
✟7,643.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I take a slightly more simplistic approach. I'm pretty confident that the main body of the congregation wouldn't know the difference in the categories we place the songs in. I/they tend to think (or have been conditioned to think or expect) that the band starts out fairly vigorous and uptempo foot-tapping stuff and then moves towards more reflective, emotionally moving, sweeter, melodic sensitive, songs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I tend to align more with DaveW-Ohev's thoughts than the OPs. In addition to Dave's comments, while they are different in some aspects, I think Praise and Worship get grouped together because they are both common and suitable for Sunday morning services. Christian music has many genres, including other contemporary ones that are popular. Still, much of what you'd hear on KLove or Air1 or the Message, while decidedly Christian, is not intended for Sunday worship and would not be considered either praise or worship lyrically either.

The topic is a good one though. I have known several non-worship team people in church to ask what the difference is. The simple fact it is called Praise AND Worship leads to the question.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This has great Biblical lyrics -Disciple's Radical (I don't know what category it would be in, whether praise or worship music):

It would be in neither the praise or worship category. Basic hard Christian Rock is where it falls.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It would be in neither the praise or worship category.
Agreed. P&W has to work well in a congregational setting with the congregation carrying much of the singing.

Can you really imagine a congregation trying to sing this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums