• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

The devil is in the footnotes...

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+35,830
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    The misguided footnotes in the New American Bible stands for so much that has been wrong in practice of the faith by American Catholics these last several decades. I do not mean merely the age-old temptation, of someone who has a narrow technical skill, to speak as if an authority on broad and important matters.

The devil is in the footnotes...

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Chany

Chany Uncertain Absurdist

+215
    Agnostic
    Single
    US-Others
    I always felt something was off when I read those footnotes. This explains it. So what should we do?

3. Michie

+35,830
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Last I heard they were revising it.

I have several translations of Scripture. I rarely use NAB.

4. Chany

+215
    Agnostic
    Single
    US-Others
    Really? That's all I have. :(

Maybe I'll email my old theology teacher the translation and edition he recommended.

5. Michie

+35,830
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I have several. The Catholic Study Bible, St Jerome's study Bible, & New Jerusalem Study Bible & more. There are a lot out there.

6. Chany

+215
    Agnostic
    Single
    US-Others
    I want to say St. Ignatius, but I'm not sure.

7. Michie

+35,830
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Yeah there is a St. Ignatius study Bible.

8. the person on that blog does not understand what the passage is about. It has nothing to do with dependence or innocence.

9. JBMM

JBMM Islander

+29
    Catholic
    Private
    CA-Liberals
    This is why I switched to the NRSV-CE.

:p

10. FullyMT

FullyMT Veni Sancte Spiritus

+286
    Catholic
    Single
    Footnotes are one author's interpretation and analysis of the text. They are not the "end all to be all" of an interpretation and anybody who considers them as such is a lunatic. If you want full analysis, get a commentary of the Book from Scripture.
    His fourth issue misses the point entirely. A young child is very dependent on their parents. We are called to have child-like faith, that is, complete dependence on God. Look at Jesus' relationship with the Father, you will see complete reliance.

11. Wolseley

Wolseley Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu

+2,614
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I like the notes in the old Challoner Edition of the Douay-Rheims. :)

12. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated

+2,207
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Um......

.....The NAB has an imprinteur.

I don't understand how this person can just dismiss the footnotes as incorrect.

I've be accused of Protestantism for less then this.

Yet here, it's ok.

Hmmmm...

13. BBCath

BBCath Catholic...

+10
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    It's one person's opinion on footnotes in a bible translation approved by the U.S. Bishops.

Let's see...

This random guy's opinion vs the US Bishops...

Hmmm. Which one do you choose... :insert thinking smiley:

14. MKJ

MKJ Contributor

+679
    Anglican
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Well, St Augustine is pretty clear that he doesn't think even infants are innocent. Near the beginning of the Confessions he says he has seen an infant go pale with rage at seeing a foster brother at the nurse's breast, and that the infant would have killed the foster-child if he had the power.

While he wasn't commenting particularly on that passage, I do not think it is accurate to say that the inherited teaching of the Church is that infants are innocent.

15. QuantaCura

QuantaCura Rejoice always.

+918
    Catholic
    In Catholicism, a higher authority trumps a lower one; therefore, it is not Protestant to say a footnote in a Bible edition is wrong--even with an imprimatur, if it is contradicted elsewhere by a higher authority.

For example, let's look at 1 Cor. 3:15. Traditionally, 1 Cor. 3:15, has been understood by the Church to refer to Purgatory, as the CCC notes.
    Pope Benedict XVI's encyclical Spe Salvi provides the latest example of this traditional intepretation:

But the NAB footnote says this:

The NAB footnote says the Church has been misinterpreting this passage. Oops.

16. Chany

+215
    Agnostic
    Single
    US-Others
    Also, we should define what we mean by "innocence," and whether or not we are looking too deep into the analogy.

17. FullyMT

FullyMT Veni Sancte Spiritus

+286
    Catholic
    Single
    I think the point of footnotes is to get to a meaning of the passage as it was meant by the author. The NAB footnote for 1 Cor 3:15 does not negate the fact that it can and is interpreted as a proof for purgatory, but simply that, perhaps, that is not what Paul meant in the letter.

18. Chany

+215
    Agnostic
    Single
    US-Others
    Yes, but the Bishops are supposedly doing that. If Paul did not mean purgatory, then the Bishops are wrong about the interpretation of the verse, and must be corrected.

19. noprem

noprem Newbie

+0
    Jehovahs Witness
    Married
    I'm surprised to see so many Catholics disagreeing with the NAB's expositor. Don't you baptize infants so sin won't cost them Heaven? And not original sin, since the Bible assures many times that we are "born in sin". That the imperfect heart we inherited from Adam leads to death without Jesus' ransom? "The heart is perverse above all things, and unsearchable, who can know it?" "Wherefore as by one nman sin entered into this world and by sin death: and so death passed upon all men, in whom all have sinned." (Jeremiah; Paul)
    And aren't you folks supposed to trust in Augustine's judgment?
    What is your loss if there is just a single reason for Jesus' statement; we are infact "grasshoppers" in God's sight, and must follow his instructions as a young child follows his parents' leadings. "O that you had hearkened to my commandments: your peace had been as a river, and your justice as the waves of the sea". (Isiah) All quotes Douay.
    Doug

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  20. MoreCoffee

MoreCoffee Repentance works.

+2,425
    Catholic
    Private
    I like the footnotes in the NAB. I do not see any good reason to get worked up about them; and besides that, you do not need to read and accept what is written in a particular footnote.